• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft and Guerilla devs are salty over Elden Ring reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
lM9Eu9e.png

If devs want a more non-toxic online environment, they should start with themselves.

Elden Ring has performance issues but even with flaws it's more fun to play than any Assassin's Creed game ever made.

The last comment from the Guerilla dev, proves he likes games that guides him - "holds his hand".

To each their own, but dissing a better game than any of those studios ever made is just pathetic.

Papacheeks

Banned
lM9Eu9e.png

If devs want a more non-toxic online environment, they should start with themselves.

Elden Ring has performance issues but even with flaws it's more fun to play than any Assassin's Creed game ever made.

The last comment from the Guerilla dev, proves he likes games that guides him - "holds his hand".

To each their own, but dissing a better game than any of those studios ever made is just pathetic.

I think Specifically they are talking about how a game like Elden Ring with almost unplayable on PC and issues on Console gets close to a perfect score. Yet Games like Forbidden West doesn't get any merrit for quality of life improvements. Solid performance on all Playstation consoles, only minimal bugs, and instant loading on a map thats almost twice the size of elden Ring.

Fake

I think Specifically they are talking about how a game like Elden Ring with almost unplayable on PC and issues on Console gets close to a perfect score. Yet Games like Forbidden West doesn't get any merrit for quality of life improvements. Solid performance on all Playstation consoles, only minimal bugs, and instant loading on a map thats almost twice the size of elden Ring.

To be honest HFW came with some bugs and glitchs and AC:V came with a terrible console perfomance issue.

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

Yes, it's is very unprofessional but at the same time I can appreciate where they come from to some extent, especially on the technical side of things. There have been many examples of Western developed games being taken to task in reviews due to technical issues. Why FromSoft got a pass on that aspect is puzzling.

JackSparr0w

Banned
Almost unplayable? A million steam users playing last night would claim otherwise. Performance issues are always exaggerated while gameplay issues are rarely reported because reviewers rarely dig deep enough into a game's mechanics.

Zeroing

Banned
Got locked and deleted.
Mods don't give us much info about that as usual. Thats why I give up the report button long time ago.
Doesn’t need a genius to figure out why it was closed - it was pure console war again!

Anyway
3 devs on twitter expressing their frustrations and being sarcastic because when you work in a game for 4 years no matter what, you will feel emotionally attached… can we blame them?

Tazzu

Funny, when you consider that some have been adapting the same game over and over again for years and the others haven't been any more creative.
Still, just some employees. Allow them to believe that they are the pinnacle of creation.
The same people will be telling us how amazing a port would be for their platform.

Papacheeks

Banned
To be honest HFW came with fell bugs and glitchs and AC:V came with a terrible console perfomance issue.

The glitches mostly were weird artifacts and graphical stuff that they nailed down within first couple days. And people are not understanding what devs are getting at. Look at the Map density? Look at all the systems in play, all the NPC'S all the dialogue, cutscenes, animals, robots ect.

So many things going on. Full weather/day night cycles with actual elemental effects. None of this is getting talked about. But all people can talk about is Elden Ring and I would say its because of the youtube crowd who are all From Software fans.

As a product I just beat Forbidden west. only thing that was annoying is I had a couple quest bugs similar to Witcher 3 which also similarly is super dense, and that game also is scored as a perfect game and combat in that is not great.

Amiga

Ubisoft have no ground to complain. If anything their games are still overrated massively.

GG did great with HFW. The game scored great. But it has little originality, it's a polished implementation of ideas from other games . and it dose have pop-up issues. if they want that extra 0.5 score to get them into the all time category they need to earn it. they should take the consolation that they will sell 2x more than ED.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
lM9Eu9e.png

Just one person, with a few words and now making another overblown thread about it. As if devs can't have personal opinions about a product. Do we really need threads for whatever the fuck every dev posts or thinks on twitter. It's not like gamers are any better these days and only shitting on these people all day long on forums.

To be honest HFW came with fell bugs and glitchs and AC:V came with a terrible console perfomance issue.

Bullshit, nothing wrong with the performance. It's the resolution and shimmering that makes the performance option "less" interesting form some, then the 30fps mode. Elden Ring has major performance issues compared to what Guerrilla has released. reviewers don't say you need to play the PS4 Pro version of Forbidden West or something like they do with Elden Ring.

This game get's a pass for everything, same as Halo Infinite.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
Almost unplayable? A million steam users playing last night would claim otherwise. Performance issues are always exaggerated while gameplay issues are rarely reported because reviewers rarely dig deep enough into a game's mechanics.

FromSoftware doesn't have the best track record with PC ports, but many still had high hopes for Elden Ring. At launch, the game on PC is riddled with bugs and performance issues that almost render it unplayable. Then there's the lack of ultrawide support and a lockdown to 60 frames per second.

There's no other way to approach this. FromSoftware dropped the ball with the PC port of Elden Ring. Firstly, there's no ultrawide monitor support. It's 2022 and ultrawide panels are a more common sighting. The developers created a breathtakingly stunning world, and it's a crime that we're unable to enjoy it on a wide display without third-party software.

FromSoftware dropped the ball with the PC port of Elden Ring.
Then there's the performance and it doesn't matter if you have the best graphics card or not. Running around the map is just fine, but it's when you get into the intricacies of combat does the game start to lose its footing. You'll notice frame drops and stuttering that can ruin your flow in heated battles with tough enemies. And FromSoftware makes punishing games, which are enjoyable so long as you're responsible for each death.

This isn't helped by the fact Elden Ring is locked to 60 frames per second. Not just for 4K resolutions, but for all aspect ratios and screen sizes. You will not be able to go above this limit, and should the game lose a few frames, you can more easily spot when this happens.

Last edited:

Flabagast

While much better than Ubisoft and Guerilla's games (but these are bad games to begin with) Elden ring is really not that good.

I bet 1 thousand dollars than in a few month times everyone will say the game is overhyped.

And yes, quest design is non existent, it's basically fetch quests (bring the letter to my father, go kill the monster in the village, etc..) with markers removed, nothing more. No underlying though provoking stories, no twist and turns, no other surprises than a boss fight or a new weapon. It's really barebones.

Tazzu

While much better than Ubisoft and Guerilla's games (but these are bad games to begin with) Elden ring is really not that good.

I bet 1 thousand dollars than in a few month times everyone will say the game is overhyped.

And yes, quest design is non existent, it's basically fetch quests (bring the letter to my father, go kill the monster in the village, etc..) with markers removed, nothing more. No underlying though provoking stories, no twist and turns, no other surprises than a boss fight or a new weapon. It's really barebones.
I bet you a thousand dollars that when the Switch port happens they will change their tune.

Papacheeks

Banned

This is where you lose me. I get it at a gameplay perspective Elden Ring is a master class. But in terms of a living world. Guerilla shits on Elden Ring. I just beat it last night and my god. The different locations and how extreme they are is staggering.

Game in terms of open world, living worlds is up there with Red dead 2, and to me is better in terms of side questing NPC's.

JackSparr0w

Banned

FromSoftware doesn't have the best track record with PC ports, but many still had high hopes for Elden Ring. At launch, the game on PC is riddled with bugs and performance issues that almost render it unplayable. Then there's the lack of ultrawide support and a lockdown to 60 frames per second.

There's no other way to approach this. FromSoftware dropped the ball with the PC port of Elden Ring. Firstly, there's no ultrawide monitor support. It's 2022 and ultrawide panels are a more common sighting. The developers created a breathtakingly stunning world, and it's a crime that we're unable to enjoy it on a wide display without third-party software.

FromSoftware dropped the ball with the PC port of Elden Ring.
Then there's the performance and it doesn't matter if you have the best graphics card or not. Running around the map is just fine, but it's when you get into the intricacies of combat does the game start to lose its footing. You'll notice frame drops and stuttering that can ruin your flow in heated battles with tough enemies. And FromSoftware makes punishing games, which are enjoyable so long as you're responsible for each death.

This isn't helped by the fact Elden Ring is locked to 60 frames per second. Not just for 4K resolutions, but for all aspect ratios and screen sizes. You will not be able to go above this limit, and should the game lose a few frames, you can more easily spot when this happens.

Ultrawide fix was available within hours of release and why would I care about what some reddit pleb has to say or clickbait articles from the usual suspects? The game even has very positive user rating on steam which usually slaughter a game with performance issues.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
The guerrilla dev aint wrong the quest design is shit. You literally talk to an NPC then hope to randomly stumble apon them in another area, theyre also completely missable.
Bloodborne is littered with optional bosses. I can't imagine ever playing it again without going to Cainhurst.

I'm okay with rewarding players who go off the beaten trail to discover something new. If I only fought mandatory Bloodborne bosses it's still a great game but the optional parts are incredible and rewarding when you find them.

Papacheeks

Banned
Ultrawide fix was available within hours of release and why would I care what some reddit pleb has to say? The game even has very positive user rating on steam which usually slaughter a game with performance issues.

I linked Windows central as well? Which is primarily Xbox/PC.

Bloodborne is littered with optional bosses. I can't imagine ever playing it again without going to Cainhurst.

I'm okay with rewarding players who go off the beaten trail to discover something new. If I only fought mandatory Bloodborne bosses it's still a great game but the optional parts are incredible and rewarding when you find them.

Which Forbidden West has in spades. It's almost like the issue is a lot of people didn't play the games they said they did when they reviewed them or didn't get past specific part of the map? :goog_unsure:

Last edited:

Fake

The glitches mostly were weird artifacts and graphical stuff that they nailed down within first couple days. And people are not understanding what devs are getting at. Look at the Map density? Look at all the systems in play, all the NPC'S all the dialogue, cutscenes, animals, robots ect.

So many things going on. Full weather/day night cycles with actual elemental effects. None of this is getting talked about. But all people can talk about is Elden Ring and I would say its because of the youtube crowd who are all From Software fans.

As a product I just beat Forbidden west. only thing that was annoying is I had a couple quest bugs similar to Witcher 3 which also similarly is super dense, and that game also is scored as a perfect game and combat in that is not great.

A little movegoal from your part, but you're not getting the point.

The two games get issues. They can arge about not being in the same level as the issues Elden Ring get, but this break the point.

I got Horizon Zero Dawn day one and no issues whatsoever. Horizon Forbidden West is indeed getting some bugs with I find strange taking the Sony quality control. I know the COVID situation screw things up, but anw.
But all people can talk about is Elden Ring and I would say its because of the youtube crowd who are all From Software fans.
Whats the problem here? Souls games are popular plus the GoT writer give the franchise a propaganda boost. If people like the game I can't understand 'why' making case of players promoving the game. God of War 2016 did the same thing and loads of youtubers stream and promoved.

Papacheeks

Banned
A little movegoal from your part, but you're not getting the point.

The two games get issues. They can arge about not being in the same level as the issues Elden Ring get, but this break the point.

I got Horizon Zero Dawn day one and no issues whatsoever. Horizon Forbidden West is indeed getting some bugs with I find strange taking the Sony quality control. I know the COVID situation screw things up, but anw.

Whats the problem here? Souls games are popular plus the GoT writer give the franchise a propaganda boost. If people like the game I can't understand 'why' making case of players promoving the game. God of War 2016 did the same thing and loads of youtubers stream and promoved.

I literally put 50 hours into Forbidden west on PS5? What issues are you talking about? Like Sacred Symbols is also perplexed like me because outside of a few glitches with cutscene pop-in textures, and the rare Quest bug, it's been clean. Locked frame rate.

Last edited:

Fake

Just one person, with a few words and now making another overblown thread about it. As if devs can't have personal opinions about a product. Do we really need threads for whatever the fuck every dev posts or thinks on twitter. It's not like gamers are any better these days and only shitting on these people all day long on forums.

Bullshit, nothing wrong with the performance. It's the resolution and shimmering that makes the performance option "less" interesting form some, then the 30fps mode. Elden Ring has major performance issues compared to what Guerrilla has released. reviewers don't say you need to play the PS4 Pro version of Forbidden West or something like they do with Elden Ring.

This game get's a pass for everything, same as Halo Infinite.

If you're talking about AC:V I really suggest you to watch the first Digital Foundry video about.

Fake

I literally put 50 hours into Forbidden west on PS5? What issues are you talking about? Like Sacred Symbols is also perplexed like me because outside of a few glitches with cutscene pop-in textures, and the rare Quest bug, it's been clean. Locked frame rate.

There are players reporting bugs and minor glitches around the internet dude. Even John from Digital Foundry comment about that in this DF Direct.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
There are players reporting bugs and minor glitches around the internet dude. Even John from Digital Foundry comment about that in this DF Direct.

A lot of that was launch stuff? And they literally put out 3 patches within a week. Again Im going to ask are you playing Forbidden West? Because I've had it since launch. Like I said a lot of the bugs that DF found were literally fixed within first couple days.

Day one patch:

Literally John talks about the patch improving a lot performance wise with certain aspects of the game.

Last edited:
They no longer work for Guerilla for quite some time and we already had this dumb ass discussion. Also they are right, technical wise ER is a piece of shit. There was this one boss who starts charging up lightning, frames drop to 20 on every platform. Just really bad...

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
The hard truth is that a good game that runs badly is always better than a mid game that runs well.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
The performance is too shit to ignore. I don't see this as salty. Game has crashed for me half a dozen times on PS5 and I've lost several hours of progress. The game is overrated as well. Last half of the game falls appart. Bloodborne is the tighter experience, better music, better art, better combat, better game.

Fake

A lot of that was launch stuff? And they literally put out 3 patches within a week. Again Im going to ask are you playing Forbidden West? Because I've had it since launch. Like I said a lot of the bugs that DF found were literally fixed within first couple days.

Read my last post again. Already with the video in question.

Again, we're talking about games launching with the 'day one patch'. With time they will fix all the issues, but denying the problems on day one is not the case here, unless of couse movegoal.
Will be easy, for example, someone defend AC:V today after the countless amount of patches, but you can go on Youtube and see the game when launch.

Thirty7ven

Banned
It’s all about the hype and who reviews what, and that means Elden Ring was reviewed on what it does as a Souls game by souls fanboys.

Meanwhile some of these other games are reviewed by people who come in and are reviewing the game more on what it doesn’t.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom