• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft and Guerilla devs are salty over Elden Ring reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Interfectum

My big problem with western gaming industry is they think their way is the only way and criticize other devs if they dont follow them, both actual gameplay and character design.

I still remember the amount shit George Kamitani got over Sorceress design Dragon's Crown.

Western devs can design their games however they want but so is FROM.
Western AAA design philosophy for UI, feature set, etc has a big push towards a lot focus testing and polish. I mean even the title screen for horizon 2 is drool worthy. I can't help but think that comes as a cost as they become obsessed with focus testing and polish. I'm really curious when we'll see a western AAA game that has an accessibility option to just play itself. We are nearly there.

Last edited:

Dynasty8

There's a market for both types of games.

The traditional RPG (hand holding RPG if you want to call it that) and the From Software take on the genre. Both can co-exist as both cater to vastly different audiences. The same way Burnout can exist alongside Forza Motorsport. Not everyone is looking for that sim-like experience.

Why does one have to be better than the other?

You couldn't criticize the game's graphics before launch. We had multiple users lynched for offering their opinion on the games graphics.

There are a few From nutjobs in this forum.

No one is saying both can't co-exist. The fact is that 99% of open world games today follow that same Ubisoft mentality of being a GPS/Navigation game with a list of "chores" that don't even feel rewarding. Anyone saying that Elden Ring's lack of UI, quest logs, or other shit makes it bad doesn't understand what the game is trying to achieve. Most of us FromSoft fans appreciate this more than anything.

Discovery > Hand Holding

Real Exploration > Waypoints

Mystery > Predictability

Overcoming Challenge > Brain Dead Easy

These things have been absent for the LONGEST time in games. It's honestly a breath of fresh air for many of us. Again, both types of games can co-exist, but anyone criticizing these things should understand it's a design choice done intentionally for the reasons I listed above, and most of us fans love this shit.

If that doesn't do it for some people, then at least there are the rest of the 99% of open world games out there to hold their hands.

bender

What time is it?

Look at this hit reaction. Notice how literally every. single. hit thrown is reacted to. Its makes combat significantly better. Yet reviewers act like Sifu combat was nothing special. It was fucking legendary.

I haven't had a chance to play Sifu yet and while that video is neat (I didn't know you could play as a female avatar), one thing that bothers me is that outside of thrown objects, most hits seem to lack any sort of force. It's like watching a King Fu film without the Foley Work.

From is the only studio that gets a pass for broken stuff gameplay or technical and its Calked up as "git good" if a Bethesda game or Ea or any third party game comes out and it doesnt hold a frame rate "Cough Cough GTA trilogy" performance gets thrown in the equation. From games stutter like no tomorrow or in elden rings case never hold a lock 60fps which DOES effect gameplay since all of its mechanics are tied to frame rate. BOTW stuck to its 30 FPS target way more than elden ring Nier automta on the ps4 stuck to 60fps way more than elden ring.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
lM9Eu9e.png

If devs want a more non-toxic online environment, they should start with themselves.

Elden Ring has performance issues but even with flaws it's more fun to play than any Assassin's Creed game ever made.

The last comment from the Guerilla dev, proves he likes games that guides him - "holds his hand".

To each their own, but dissing a better game than any of those studios ever made is just pathetic.
A proof that Japan is above those trashy companies

assurdum

Banned
A proof that Japan is above those trashy companies
From Software have shitty history of performance issue in their games. Yeah it's ridiculous see an high average score to a game which easily can run at flawless 60 FPS with a minimum more effort, but it didn't because From don't give a fuck.
There is nothing crazy to point out that review score should take care more of such stuff.

Last edited:

DragonNCM

Guerilla, Ubisoft, Rockstar and EA need to rethink their boring open world games where you are guided to every fucking boring side quest where you don't accomplish anything.
ER is first entry to open world games from From Software and they nailed perfectly.
Every quest meters every fucking item you take is used.You can build your class in 100 different wheys, epick open world, epick dungeons and boss fights.Everything you are doing in ER world leaves you with feeling of satisfaction.
Others are using same shit open world rpg quest system for 10 years or more & now they are crying.

GET GOOD OR GO HOME TARDS (and fucking learn to make interesting new open world RPG's)

fart town usa

Gold Member
It's all sort of badly organized and unclear and it's hard to figure out how to do stuff if you don't already know.
iu

I figured this shit out as a 6 year old kid with the help of my older brother and friends on the playground, lol. I think people will be just fine navigating ER through the help of Gaf, YouTube, etc. The UI is fine, it's definitely cryptic but I like that. I've never been locked from progress because I didn't use something. It's always been optional so far.

If FromSoftware wants to make things as cryptic as possible, I read that as them taking the most hardcore person in mind and working down from that. It's not like they're blocking websites from sharing footage or tips. I think it's awesome that it has such word of mouth with people helping each other out, it's a feature of the game, not an oversight.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Western AAA design philosophy for UI, feature set, etc has a big push towards a lot focus testing and polish. I mean even the title screen for horizon 2 is drool worthy. I can't help but think that comes as a cost as they become obsessed with focus testing and polish. I'm really curious when we'll see a western AAA game that has an accessibility option to just play itself. We are nearly there.

The hyperbole of some of you is fucking ridiculous. All because Elden Ring doesn't put in your face the content you are meant to discover.

Guerilla, Ubisoft, Rockstar and EA need to rethink their boring open world games where you are guided to every fucking boring side quest where you don't accomplish anything.
ER is first entry to open world games from From Software and they nailed perfectly.
Every quest meters every fucking item you take is used.You can build your class in 100 different wheys, epick open world, epick dungeons and boss fights.Everything you are doing in ER world leaves you with feeling of satisfaction.
Others are using same shit open world rpg quest system for 10 years or more & now they are crying.

GET GOOD OR GO HOME TARDS (and fucking learn to make interesting new open world RPG's)

Good lord. You people are LITERALLY elevating a game just because it doesn't have map markers. Fucking hilarious.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

The thing I love about Elden Ring's exploration is there is risk to it, you can get yourself killed if not careful but because the game is tough you want to explore in order to find something that gives advantage over your next battle.

So the actual act of exploring and finding something is rewarding and super satisfying but these days we barely get that with AAA western games, like Interfectum Interfectum said majority of western games is too much based on focus testing.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Well their names, professions, work experience and current place of employment are all in their twitter profiles.
Release games with frame pacing issue or unstable FPS from more than a decade, it's not exactly professional eh. On ps360 they have the excuse of bad CPU but now no more.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I mean, I think they are quite legitimate to express whatever opinion wherever they want I guess.
Yea ,but they have their employers in their bio and they're just blasting it out for all of twitter/the internet to read.

They certainly have the right to do it but it's still unprofessional and insanely petty. Do you see anyone from From Software calling out other games whenever a Souls game is released? If they have I'm not aware of it. It just seems like they want to do their thing and let the game chart its course upon release.

This is a case of the quiet kid in class doing something really cool and grabbing everyone's attention. Some of the popular kids are getting butt hurt. Clearly it's not everyone in the Horizon or Ubisoft camp, but the ones who made those comments on Twitter did themselves, their team, and their company brand a disservice.

Just playing devil's advocate mostly.

I do think it's weird though that From Software games are always highly regarded, but for some reason ER is getting blasted by a certain crowd online. Like, what changed about this game compared to the others? It's just another Dark Souls type game, just as cryptic as the others but with some QOL changes and a bigger map. It's really weird to see people getting mad at its success. Not saying you are, just sharing my thoughts.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Release games with frame pacing issue or unstable FPS from more than a decade, it's not exactly professional eh. On ps360 they have the excuse of bad CPU but now no more.
Come on, that's entirely different than a UI screen.

I don't see anyone outright defending the PC performance issues. I think they're overblown based on footage I've seen but whatever, still a valid complaint for people who are being affected by it.

The game itself though, it's a cryptic old-school style game. There's nothing wrong with something like that existing.

assurdum

Banned
Yea ,but they have their employers in their bio and they're just blasting it out for all of twitter/the internet to read.

They certainly have the right to do it but it's still unprofessional and insanely petty. Do you see anyone from From Software calling out other games whenever a Souls game is released? If they have I'm not aware of it. It just seems like they want to do their thing and let the game chart its course upon release.

This is a case of the quiet kid in class doing something really cool and grabbing everyone's attention. Some of the popular kids are getting butt hurt. Clearly it's not everyone in the Horizon or Ubisoft camp, but the ones who made those comments on Twitter did themselves, their team, and their company brand a disservice.

Just playing devil's advocate mostly.

I do think it's weird though that From Software games are always highly regarded, but for some reason ER is getting blasted by a certain crowd online. Like, what changed about this game compared to the others? It's just another Dark Souls type game, just are cryptic as the other but with some QOL changes and a bigger map. It's really weird to see people getting mad at its success. Not saying you are, just sharing my thoughts.
I really don't follow some of your defense point. Their games have notorious history of tech issue from years. Now some developers literally don't understand why in their games such problems never counts in the review score where other games are literally massacred just for that. I think it's legitimate troll about it, make masterpieces shouldn't excuse it indeed should count even more.

Last edited:

Notabueno

Banned
That's a pretty heavy accusation to put on hundreds of people... not even including the thousands of gamers who have praised both Arceus and Elden Ring post launch. I guess they are 'astroturfed' too?

Is anything you don't like considered astroturfed if it scores above a certain number?

I have zero doubt Elden Ring is a good if not great game, but it's nowhere near the review scores. On the other hand Arceus is an absolutely objectively mediocre game besides the "better" core gameplay which is more telling of how outdated and mediocre past games design was, and if it was any other game it would be judged as clunky, limited and redundant. And of course I'm not going to come back on the horrendous graphics, visual art and design of both the world and the hisiuan pokemon, the mediocre clunky realisation, animation, interactions and so on...

BUT, YES that's how astroturfing, PR and generally behavioral marketing (group behavior especially) work: if you get enough opinion leaders and outlets spewing the same crafted messages to an audience, a big enough group of degenerates (or already sold "shills") will -parrot- exactly the same arguments, which in turns becomes a sort of fabricated public zeitgeist that is hard to debunk on the fly, until time passed and either people accept it's validity without critical judgement for some time OR...even though it's too late people quickly realize the absolute non-sense, bullshit or lie it was.

The sad thing is, the second scenario happened to Elden Ring even though overall that's a good game, while Arceus got away with something most people know deep down to be absolute never-seen before bullshit.

For having worked on a few projects which had "astroturfing" agencies hired (they are crazy heavy on the pockets because they have huge nets on PR, influence and social marketing engineering side), though I wasn't involved on the com strategy, the result was impressive and even frightening, because no regular marketing/communication strategy and budget can get you those results beyond the actual zone of truth.

SirTerry-T

Yeah... NO.
They are questioning a dev that whined about "MUH METASCOREH! Muh user experience overlooked!" pretty much implying that they thought the games they worked on deserved better.

They fucking don't, their games are overall markedly inferior to the very one they are bitching about (and they WERE bitching about it, backpedaling notwithstanding) no matter how nicely they paved the way in for the casual players.
"Nor PC graphics, stability & performance, apparently"
That's was the Nixxes graphics coder's remark.
Is she wrong?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
That should not excuse shoddy coding, which is what this game is full of, however you cut it.
I'm playing the Elden Ring on my PS5, the performance is not "flawless" but no were near as bad that it would effect my enjoyment.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I really don't follow some of your defense point. Their games have notorious history of performance issue. Now some developers literally don't understand why in their games such problems never counts in the review score where other games are literally massacred just for that. I think it's legitimate troll about it, make masterpieces don't excuse you indeed they should care even more.
The review score thing is outside my wheelhouse because I don't give any weight whatsoever to reviews. Game wasn't even on my radar until the day it released, got it to play coop with my buddy.

As for the performance issue. If that's all PC, I'm clueless on that too. I played Demon's Souls/Dark Souls on PS3 and they were fine for me. I played Bloodborne on PS4 and it was fine too. My eyes aren't attuned to locked 60fps and I honestly don't really care if a game fluctuates. I'm playing ER on a base PS4 and it's fine. I haven't come across any game breaking issues and the only time I see slowdown is when there is a specific type of enemy in the distance that does cartwheels, it's actually more funny than anything.

That's not me giving the game a pass, it's me saying I'm ignorant to whatever benefits a locked framerate would give because I've never had issues with an unstable framerate. I just feel like people are nit picking in a way, like really, the FPS occasionally dipping on PS3 or base PS4 is going to render the game unplayable? No.

I've even said some of the praise this game is getting is pretty overblown but at the end of the day, I cannot deny how much fun it is and it's 100% absorbed me. It's seriously one of the best games I've ever played and outside of PC performance issues, I just don't think any of the other complaints hold water. The game is a blast.

Notabueno

Banned
Holy shit lol. Imagine thinking Bandai Namco and From Software can even manage that.

Is this part of the 4chan shit posting guide for Elden ring?

First of all, there's the answer a few posts above, and in between someone mentioned the fact they were advertised even during the UFC championship, second of all, obviously you're a dumb f*** so it's not like it'll make for an interesting conversation.

Last edited:

Sentenza

"Nor PC graphics, stability & performance, apparently"
That's was the Nixxes graphics coder's remark.
Is she wrong?
I mean, aside for the fact that I don't have any performance issue on my system past a weird slowdown I experienced on day one with the Tree Knight (but admittedly I'm not exactly on average hardware, so I won't dismiss the problems others are experiencing in general), the game took a lot of flak for its occasional performance issues...
So what's her point again? That the "metascore" should have been lowered to point that?
Aside for the fact that a review is not a "subtraction game" where you take points for any issue, the game incidentally DOES have a lower metascore on PC, specifically. 94 instead of 97.
What? should get even lower? Why?

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
It's repetitive and lacks depth. It's not bad but it's not very fun mechanically compared to a souls game.
Combat in HZD was by far my favorite of any PlayStation game when I had a PS4. I only tried Dark Souls for 4-5 hours but hated it and one of the things I hated most was the clunky, boring combat.

I don't have a PlayStation anymore, but numerous ways and weapons to kill all kinds of different robot dinos compared to From's tedious combat? I have no doubt I personally would much prefer HFW combat to Elden ring.

Bragr

Banned
Assassins Creed 'Follow Road' takes you straight to the quest (mission). What in the blue hell are you talking about?
Open the map in Assassins Creed Odyssey and tell me again how its not inundated with waypoints for everything to do with the activities in the game.

So apparently this is NOT hand holding? lol c'mon bro

Capture.jpg

This is nothing like Elden Ring.
I'm not sure what you are talking about, I have not said it's like Elden Ring. I'm saying having an icon does not count as hand-holding. Tutorials and forced paths are handholding.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Yeah... NO.
They are questioning a dev that whined about "MUH METASCOREH! Muh user experience overlooked!" pretty much implying that they thought the games they worked on deserved better.

They fucking don't, their games are overall markedly inferior to the very one they are bitching about (and they WERE bitching about it, backpedaling notwithstanding) no matter how nicely they paved the way in for the casual players.

Bragr

Banned
Honestly when it comes to the sheer concentration of retardation in a single post it's hard to top your own achievement here.
Way to go with a the most idiotic blanket generalization possible.

And of course a bunch of dumbfucks are quick on the uptake and the upvote, too.

Also, NO, it's not "just few innocent tweets". It's a bunch of industry veterans being whiny toward another studio's success AND self-congratulatory about the mediocrity of their own achievements at the same time.
There is a reason that idiotic generalization of FromSoftware fans exists, and your dumbass retort towards all their "mediocrity" just proved my point. Get off your high horse for one second.

DragonNCM

I like open world games, but the Ubisof ones are repetitive based on an old formula ,so you play one you played all.

Horizont is easily better than Valhalla by example but has nothing new to show , its a well polished game and really fun to play and experiment with combat options.

Elden Ring is basically a collage of last Froms games , it has elements of Souls, Sekiro.and Bloodborne...there is even an area that looks loke you where on a Bloodborne's nightmare.

The real difference vs Elden Ring and the other open world games is that you always have a sence of fear about whats is around you....also explorarion is well done and diverse.
The weak side of Froms games are performance and graphics , but that is not new if you played Demons Souls on PS3. Yep is a shame that after those year we do not have a Froms game with a graphic level of Horizont but instead you get solid game.

The hyperbole of some of you is fucking ridiculous. All because Elden Ring doesn't put in your face the content you are meant to discover.

Good lord. You people are LITERALLY elevating a game just because it doesn't have map markers. Fucking hilarious.
For the record this is my first From Software game there I like.

Refreshing change after AC: Valhalla and Farcry 6 map overload......for nothing......

Sentenza

and your dumbass retort towards all their "mediocrity" just proved my point.
I have to admit I can't exactly speak about Forbidden West as I have yet to play it.
BUT
the very reason I have yet to play it is that I wasted my money on the first Horizon and 15 hours in I had to give up on it and admit it was the fucking blandest Ubisoft-like, designed-by-committee piece of lukewarm triple A media I attempted to spend some time on in a while.

Hey, maybe Forbidden West is a whole different beast, though!.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

I've been playing Elden Ring close to 60 hours now on PS5 and I would say the game is perfectly playable. I'd say it's actually very solid, considering the scope of the game. It has a few frame drops, especially in Liurnia it's certainly fluctuating when you traverse the world, but it's not game breaking in any way that, for example, Blighttown was on PS3. Aside from the frame rate issues, there have been pop ins when you load an area, but other than that, I haven't encountered a single glitch or bug, nor has the game crashed or anything like that. It has been a smooth ride almost all the time. I can't say how it is on other platforms but on PS5 it's so far a very good experience. Honestly the game is so much fun to play that I don't even notice or care if there are a few performance hiccups along the way.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
iu

I figured this shit out as a 6 year old kid with the help of my older brother and friends on the playground, lol. I think people will be just fine navigating ER through the help of Gaf, YouTube, etc. The UI is fine, it's definitely cryptic but I like that. I've never been locked from progress because I didn't use something. It's always been optional so far.
Look, we all grew up with games that had text like this too:

gZqHLHg.png

But if you write game dialog and saw that in an acclaimed 2022 release you would probably be a little salty.

I get that the bad UI isn't enough to ruin a good game, but I can see why someone who does game UI for a living might feel like all their work is for nothing when the biggest game out has a garbage UI.

Last edited:

baphomet

They're not wrong.

Elden Ring is the first game in at least a few years that I've had to refund because it straight up doesn't work like a released game should.

But 97 🙄

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom