• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft and Guerilla devs are salty over Elden Ring reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sentenza

I think most people who love Horizon and games like are perfectly okay with games like ER existing and doing well but some fans of Souls games think that everything else is bad game design and are offended by it's very existence.
Nah, I think Horizon Zero Dawn is an insipid game compared to plenty of other stuff, frankly.

No one is saying both can't co-exist. The fact is that 99% of open world games today follow that same Ubisoft mentality of being a GPS/Navigation game with a list of "chores" that don't even feel rewarding. Anyone saying that Elden Ring's lack of UI, quest logs, or other shit makes it bad doesn't understand what the game is trying to achieve. Most of us FromSoft fans appreciate this more than anything.

Discovery > Hand Holding

Real Exploration > Waypoints

Mystery > Predictability

Overcoming Challenge > Brain Dead Easy

These things have been absent for the LONGEST time in games. It's honestly a breath of fresh air for many of us. Again, both types of games can co-exist, but anyone criticizing these things should understand it's a design choice done intentionally for the reasons I listed above, and most of us fans love this shit.

If that doesn't do it for some people, then at least there are the rest of the 99% of open world games out there to hold their hands.
I've seen posts in this forum taking the mickey out of those other 'standard' open world games. Like I said before its this constant warring culture that sometimes sours the experience of talking up games on the forum.
If its not Xbox vs PS, its X game vs Y game. All it does it gets people riled up and banned or some go on an ignore spree.

Latest thing now is Xbox camp are referred to as green rats. Fuck knows where that came from. I may have been absent for a week or so and came back to find green rat pics posted everywhere.

This place is weird sometimes.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
IGN staff had a discussion about the difficulties they have enjoying games like Elden Ring and I must say a lot of it makes perfect sense.

The video will certainly trigger some here.

Last edited:

Honey Bunny

Look, we all grew up with games that had text like this too:

gZqHLHg.png

But if you write game dialog and saw that in an acclaimed 2022 release you would probably be a little salty.

I get that the bad UI isn't enough to ruin a good game, but I can see why someone who does game UI for a living might feel like all their work is for nothing when the biggest game out has a garbage UI.
Working on Ubisoft game ui *is* virtually worthless. Hope this inspires him to do something more meaningful with his life.

Last edited:

Woggleman

ER can still be a great game and be buggy as hell. San Andreas was full of more bugs than a hoarders kitchen but to me it is still the best open world made. Just be consistent about it and don't give passes that others games don't get.

Ev1L AuRoN

I really liked Elden Ring, but I think the game is overrated AF.

It's becoming cringe to see people singing praises for the game like if it was this perfect experience. Best game ever...

Not to shit on the game, I really think it is amazing, I just can't see it the same way the internet does. It feels like people following a trend and not genuine appreciation. (from some users, not everyone, evidently.)

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Latest thing now is Xbox camp are referred to as green rats. Fuck knows where that came from. I may have been absent for a week or so and came back to find green rat pics posted everywhere.

This place is weird sometimes.
Off topic - I can't believe you missed it. It's from one of the greatest account suicides in Gaf history.
A MUST read:

Barakov

Gold Member
lM9Eu9e.png

If devs want a more non-toxic online environment, they should start with themselves.

Elden Ring has performance issues but even with flaws it's more fun to play than any Assassin's Creed game ever made.

The last comment from the Guerilla dev, proves he likes games that guides him - "holds his hand".

To each their own, but dissing a better game than any of those studios ever made is just pathetic.
8XJIMvP.png

Off topic - I can't believe you missed it. It's from one of the greatest account suicides in Gaf history.
A MUST read:
Bruh

tumblr_lpg3so4bvm1qiy6q1.gif

I'm not sure what you are talking about, I have not said it's like Elden Ring. I'm saying having an icon does not count as hand-holding. Tutorials and forced paths are handholding.
If a game is telling me where to go and then showing it to me on the map, then also making my horse auto run to said location, I count that as hand holding. And that's exactly what Ass Creed does.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
No one is saying both can't co-exist.

Then you're being willfully blind (or insisting on being absolutely literal). The tenor of this thread (and others) is that ER is what an open-world should be and that the others (read: Ubisoftopenworlds) are committee driven trash. All because the default settings in those games swing the opposite to ER's settings in regards to player feedback. I don't know a single Ubisoft openworld game that doesn't allow you to customize your experience so that you get as much or as little feedback as possible. And God forbid the people who constantly bitch about "checklists" (as if Elden Ring didn't have checklists) actually tune the experience in the opposite direction to get that freedom of exploration (which is what I did with ACV and why it's one of my favorite open world games).

. . .instead they'll just hop on the interwebs and endless grouse about how "other developers" are making ADHD games and how "freeing" ER is (simply because it hides the checklist from you).

If a game is telling me where to go and then showing it to me on the map, then also making my horse auto run to said location, I count that as hand holding. And that's exactly what Ass Creed does.

. . .only if YOU tell it to.

Last edited:
Miyazaki promised he would filter the impure gamers. We knew this going in, but filtering devs??!? Sensai has gone above and beyond his divine role and has decided to spoil us. We are not worthy of such blessings. For the first time in a decade I'm starting to think we're gonna make it.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
they are right . period. Every now and then the industry needs for any unjustified reason, to raise a development team with respect to all the others and the industry influences itself in the long run ..... first it was Blizzard then ID then Bungie then Naughty Dog .... today they are from software ..... they might fart into the mic and get a goty for the best soundtrack.
From software are the most overrated development team in gaming history.
ps. (The teams I mentioned earlier have their flaws but unlike the from software they are technically at least all highly valid teams.)

The funny thing is that on all platforms the average MC users vote of elden ring is 6.something / 7.something ....... and honestly the thing that makes this data more truthful , and does not suggest the classic fanboy review bombing of the rival platform is that it is more or less the same on all platforms

PS5 : 7.8
PC : 6.4
Xsx: 7.2
PS4 : 6.7
Xbo: 6.2

Last edited:

Sega Orphan

Banned
I assume like everyone in life they are tribal with the team and game. They put alot of effort in and probably think their game was just as good, or that they spent alot more time getting the graphics to be as good as they can, and no doubt spend a ton of time optimising their game to keep a fluid performance on all consoles and PC cards. Going through a whole game looking for dips and rewriting code etc to fix those dips takes a ton of time and is frustrating. To them it looks like From didn't even bother and they see them being praised for it.

I can understand their thoughts, but you don't take it public because you look petty.

pratyush

The only one salty are bunch of teenagers crying about a valid point. He was talking about UX which Elden Ring isnt that great at. He wasn’t suggesting that game was bad.Its ironical how people are reacting and saying the people who actually know stuff are salty. Just because you like a game doesn’t mean its perfect. No game is and most games have this kind of discussion. Souls fan have become so toxic that any rational discussion is greeted with childish response like the OP.

Last edited:

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
This only shows how disconnected these triple A developers are disconnected with what makes a game good in the first place. Ocarina of time run like shit on the N64, dozens of super popular mods like cs and dota required you going through dozens of hops to even get it working, UI be dammed.

Hell, even on PC where the gane is "unplayable" the CCU of Eden ring keeps growing. None of that shit makes a game actually good. No one who cares about that shit has any idea of what gaming is about. It's time of those said developers stop and actually try to look what they are even working in games in the first place.

RafterXL

Horizon Forbidden West is starting to make a whole lot more sense after that tweet from one of its developers.

I've seen posts in this forum taking the mickey out of those other 'standard' open world games. Like I said before its this constant warring culture that sometimes sours the experience of talking up games on the forum.
If its not Xbox vs PS, its X game vs Y game. All it does it gets people riled up and banned or some go on an ignore spree.
The open world thing just finally came to a head for me this month. I've happily played dozens of open world games, and I'll probably play dozens more, but being extremely hyped for Forbidden West and then getting what we got, followed up by what Elden Ring delivered just highlighted how fucking dumb the average open world game is designed, and the fact that they are getting worse.

This "warring" you are seeing is because many us are, finally, fed up with how stupid developers think we are as gamers, and frankly how stupid other gamers are that need the sort of GPS direction and constant hand-holding that these games offer.

Anyway, going directly from a game that literally told you exactly what to do every step of the way, both with the UI and Aloy not shutting the fuck up, to something like Elden Ring, which just allows you to play and figure out stuff on your own, was not only a breath of fresh air, but it put it giant spotlight on just how horrible these games have become. They should be more than turn off your brain, follow point A to point B, and look at the pretty graphics.

amscanner

They just didn't get the point. I bet they would make same GPS-fetch simulation over and over without any actual improvement like they've done before.

Horizon Forbidden West is starting to make a whole lot more sense after that tweet from one of its developers.

The open world thing just finally came to a head for me this month. I've happily played dozens of open world games, and I'll probably play dozens more, but being extremely hyped for Forbidden West and then getting what we got, followed up by what Elden Ring delivered just highlighted how fucking dumb the average open world game is designed, and the fact that they are getting worse.

This "warring" you are seeing is because many us are, finally, fed up with how stupid developers think we are as gamers, and frankly how stupid other gamers are that need the sort of GPS direction and constant hand-holding that these games offer.

Anyway, going directly from a game that literally told you exactly what to do every step of the way, both with the UI and Aloy not shutting the fuck up, to something like Elden Ring, which just allows you to play and figure out stuff on your own, was not only a breath of fresh air, but it put it giant spotlight on just how horrible these games have become. They should be more than turn off your brain, follow point A to point B, and look at the pretty graphics.
Its fine for those who prefer Elden Ring. We as gamers have a choice.

And for some people Horizon Forbidden West or Assassins Creed Odyssey is more than enough and that's fine too.
I was one of them.
Its only until recently that I tried my first From game in Dark Souls 3 and while it was tough in the beginning, I've come to appreciate why these types of games are popular but tomorrow I won't mind picking up your normal open world RPG game. Currently I'm playing Elden Ring and Cyberpunk on PC and really enjoying the shit out of both.

I've got friends who won't touch From games and are happy to play your normal open world RPG's and I've said this before that having variety in this genre is a good thing.

Last edited:
lM9Eu9e.png

If devs want a more non-toxic online environment, they should start with themselves.

Elden Ring has performance issues but even with flaws it's more fun to play than any Assassin's Creed game ever made.

The last comment from the Guerilla dev, proves he likes games that guides him - "holds his hand".

To each their own, but dissing a better game than any of those studios ever made is just pathetic.
qCd1hdu.jpg

MangalaX

Neo Member
The glitches mostly were weird artifacts and graphical stuff that they nailed down within first couple days. And people are not understanding what devs are getting at. Look at the Map density? Look at all the systems in play, all the NPC'S all the dialogue, cutscenes, animals, robots ect.

So many things going on. Full weather/day night cycles with actual elemental effects. None of this is getting talked about. But all people can talk about is Elden Ring and I would say its because of the youtube crowd who are all From Software fans.

As a product I just beat Forbidden west. only thing that was annoying is I had a couple quest bugs similar to Witcher 3 which also similarly is super dense, and that game also is scored as a perfect game and combat in that is not great.
Yeah totally agree, I think Forbidden West got review bombed unnecessarily, when it improved almost on every aspect from the first one, and there are so many things going on (The friking AI of all those Dinobots), to me they're both good games in their area, but I love the open worldness of HFW more and graphically is superior in every aspect too

Vaelka

Gotta love how the first guys profile pic is that generic family friendly corporate artstyle and just him smiling.
Then when you look at his tweets he's just kind of a piece of shit.

Vaelka

IGN staff had a discussion about the difficulties they have enjoying games like Elden Ring and I must say a lot of it makes perfect sense.

The video will certainly trigger some here.
Not liking a game is fine, the problem is when people think that because they don't like it that it's a problem and needs to be changed.
Just play another game.

ClosBSAS

Elden Ring deserves good scores, but it definitely also deserves points docked for the absolutely horrible performance on basically all platforms. Fine that it looks like a below average PS4 open world game, but then it should be running at a flawless 60fps on PS5. Looking this poor AND constantly hitching and skipping frames, that's just not acceptable.
No...what's not acceptable is ppl losing saves. Performance issues are acceptable speciallly if they patch them, which they have. There's a fine line between what should be docked or not in terms of points. Bf2042 for bad reviews cause it's a shitty game with massive performance issues.

Thing is...with these repetitive ass open world boring games, u just have nothing else to review. Same shit every year, different name...might as well review how shitty it performs. Elden ring doesn't have that issue. It's a legit amazing game in which it's gameplay loop is reviewed and praised and not so much it's technical issues since we live in an era of post launch patches.

Elden ring is being reviewed and scored on how good it is. It's as simple as that.

Now, game breaking bugs like the save bug are unacceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom