• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft and Guerilla devs are salty over Elden Ring reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

There's a reason why many games on console have a low completion rate, and that's because many players give up halfway through the game. While the small minority of gamers are ok with just figuring out, this doesn't apply to most casual gamers.

Meicyn

Gold Member

This video reminds of why the Primitive Technology Youtube channel took off years ago, and why the content is very engaging. It’s just a shirtless dude going unga bunga and making cool shit in video form without fancy editing, annoying 10 second brand intros, unrelated sponsorships, and more importantly, no talking. He doesn’t need to talk. He shows and doesn’t tell. Sometimes less is more.

Banned
Wow. And I thought Skyrim compass markers were bad.

In this game, they even highlight for you in neon colours where and how to jump?

they have to. the climbing mechanics on mountains and hillsides are 100% invisible to you. you have to scan them to see where you can climb.
they basically wanted to make the game more open like Breath of the Wild, but didn't fully commit to it (maybe to make it less obvious) so there are still pre-made climbing paths but they are invisible without scanning.

most other climbable stuff is the usually yellow accent stuff you see in many modern games. like in Cauldrons (the game's dungeons) you will mostly see yellow LED lights where you can climb.

the game's climbing system is also unreasonably clunky. imagine Assassin's Creed 1 without the natural visual design for climbable stuff + 2x slower and drawn out animations pausing you every other jump you take.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

tumblr_o54ox3mhZB1upz7pjo1_500.gif

Who thought this good design choice?

Banned

it's even worse once you are in a dungeon with puzzles, she will literally tell you the solution of the puzzles often even before you even realized there was a puzzle... and the puzzles are usually the most basic shit as well.

like in one cauldron you need to stand on pressure plates in order to spin parts of some pillars next to them. and you have to shoot the pillars to lock them in place at the right time to climb up (which the pillars signal to you very obviously through a bright yellow light if they are correctly positioned)
she literally called out the solution to this puzzle before I even noticed that there was a puzzle since the NPCs you are with just stopped talking and I was not really looking around but paying attention to what they say...

like, wtf? it was at that moment that i quite literally turned off voice audio for the entirety of the dungeon, and continued doing so every time I am in a non-story relevant part of the game... so basically everything except cutscenes and walking segments

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

it's even worse once you are in a dungeon with puzzles, she will literally tell you the solution of the puzzles often even before you even realized there was a puzzle... and the puzzles are usually the most basic shit as well.

like in one cauldron you need to stand on pressure plates in order to spin parts of some pillars next to them. and you have to shoot the pillars to lock them in place at the right time to climb up.
she literally called out the solution to this puzzle before I even noticed that there was a puzzle since the NPCs you are with just stopped talking and I was not really looking around but paying attention to what they say...

like, wtf? it was at that moment that i quite literally turned off voice audio for the entirety of the dungeon, and continued doing so every time I am in a non-story relevant part of the game... so basically everything except cutscenes and walking segments

Funny how you guys seem to have a problem with this now even though this happens in MANY games today.

Can't take Xbox fans seriously. lol

Topher

Gold Member

like in one cauldron you need to stand on pressure plates in order to spin parts of some pillars next to them. and you have to shoot the pillars to lock them in place at the right time to climb up (which the pillars signal to you very obviously through a bright yellow light if they are correctly positioned)

And what did you do with the parts where standing on pressure plates wasn't an option? Yeah....you had to figure something else out, didn't you? You didn't mention that though.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

If you can turn off voice acting, that's good. I'd turn it off too if I was playing that game.

I'd go insane if I was playing Fallout or Skyrim and my Argonian character was constantly talking to himself..... "Hmmm, I got to find a chain to pull to open this gate!".... "Hmmm... I think I got to press these stones to line up snakes, wolves and eagles to open that iron door!"

Last edited:

Banned
Funny how you guys seem to have a problem with this now even though this happens in MANY games today.

you say shit like this and think anyone will take YOU seriously? also, yes, many modern games are badly designed casual fodder... you got that correct! but not all of them are quite as obnoxious as this. she NEVER shuts the fuck up! even A JUMP, as soon as you have to do a single JUMP she tells you to jump... she narrates EVERY FUCKING THING she does or "has to do" at all times.

And what did you do with the parts where standing on pressure plates wasn't an option? Yeah....you had to figure something else out, didn't you? You didn't mention that though.

you wot mate?

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned

Just need a.. just need a.. just need a.

How the fuck is this playing the game when it's constantly telling you where to go or what to do?

I didn't realize it not only wants you to get to the next checkpoint, but it's constantly telling you how to do it.

Kagey K

Banned

Name one Xbox game that does this.....

Hell name most multiplatform games that do.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
you say shit like this and think anyone will take YOU seriously? also, yes, many modern games are badly designed casual fodder... you got that correct! but not all of them are quite as obnoxious as this. she NEVER shuts the fuck up! even A JUMP, as soon as you have to do a single JUMP she tells you to jump... she narrates EVERY FUCKING THING she does or "has to do" at all times.

you wot mate?
No, she doesn't. lol

The only times she really gives hints is during question missions and they don't happen all the time. How far are you into the game for you even make this claim?

Topher

Gold Member
Just need a.. just need a.. just need a.

How the fuck is this playing the game when it's constantly telling you where to go or what to do?

I didn't realize it not only wants you to get to the next checkpoint, but it's constantly telling you how to do it.

If you played the game then you would know that is inaccurate. That's the problem. Too many people commenting on a game they haven't even played.

Banned
I was perfectly clear. What did you do?

what did I do... where? the whole mechanic was literally standing on plates and shooting arrows at turning pillars... that was the puzzle and there was like 1 instance where you had a wall in front of the pillars or something and had to activate the plate by moving a metal thing onto the plate I think.

both of which she also tells you to do btw. she's like "I can't hit the pillar from here, I need something heavy to activate the plate" or something like that.
and I only know that because I read the subtitles, thinking it might be story relevant since I had 2 NPCs with me... but nope it was just another hint, which made me ignore the subtitles as well for the rest of the dungeon

edit: the metal thingy in question is literally 2 meters away from the plate, "hidden" behind a glowing yellow glass panel and which is also the only place something you can move could even be in the first place. so it's once again a simple as fuck puzzle element any preschooler could solve, but Aloy can't shut her bitch mouth and tells you what to do anyways

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
If you played the game then you would know that is inaccurate. That's the problem. Too many people commenting on a game they haven't even played.
I'll admit I haven't played it, and lnow an edited video, when i see it.

But let's not pretend you haven't bought into the same negative hype cycle on other games and judged them unfairly without playing them.

You can't be excited, when it's a game you don't like and get mad when similar tactics are used on one you do.

Last edited:

Banned
No, she doesn't. lol

The only times she really gives hints is during question missions and they don't happen all the time. How far are you into the game for you even make this claim?

do I have to seek videos on youtube to post here as proof? this happens literally in every part of the game FOR EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO DO. she never stops talking, she always tells you exactly what you have to do. only in some of the very optional side stuff she isn't quite as obvious, but on the main story path she will explain every puzzle

Cyberpunkd

What does it have to do with Xbox? That tutorial shit is present since early 2000s, but now it doesn’t even end at the tutorial, it goes on during the whole game.

Topher

Gold Member
what did I do... where? the whole mechanic was literally standing on plates and shooting arrows at turning pillars... that was the puzzle and there was like 2 instance where you had a wall in front of the pillars or something and had to activate the plate by moving a metal thing onto the plate I think.
both of which she also tells you to do btw. she's like "I can't hit the pillar from here, I need something heavy to activate the plate" or something like that.
and I only know that because I read the subtitles, thinking it might be story relevant since I had 2 NPCs with me... but nope it was just another hint, which made me ignore the subtitles as well for the rest of the dungeon

Oh....so now you acknowledge that it wasn't simply a matter of standing on a plate, but also finding something to stand on it for you. Getting that "something" wasn't apparent at all though and Aloy didn't tell you where to go and get it at all.

I'll admit I haven't played it, and can see an edited video, where it exists.

But let's not pretend you haven't bought into the same negative hype cycle on other games and judged them unfairly without playing them.

You can't be excited, when it's a game you don't like and get mad when similar tactics are used on one you do.

Bullshit. I've never made negative comments on gameplay for games I haven't played. You can buy into whatever "negative hype cycle" you want. That's you. Not me.

Last edited:

PSYGN

[...] reviewers don't give a flaming poop about Game UX. My life is a lie.
Dude needs to re-evaluate his importance :LOL:. Game UX is like frosting on the cake - it's the cake that ultimately matters. Maybe those devs should focus on making a good cake that is a delight to consume before slathering it with frosting and embellishing it with (eye) candy, because no amount frosting makes up for a dry cake.

Banned
Oh....so now you acknowledge that it wasn't simply a matter of standing on a plate, but also finding something to stand on it for you. Getting that "something" wasn't apparent at all though and Aloy didn't tell you where to go and get it at all.

the only instance where not simply standing on it was needed is a moment where Aloy tells you she can't hit the pillar from it, and then immediately tells you you need something heavy to push onto it. the ONLY place that something could have been is behind the glowing yellow wall that DIRECTLY NEXT TO THE PLATE...
in that moment you are on a platform where there is literally nothing but 1 pressure plate, 1 wall and 1 glowing yellow window. that is all there is. not only that, but in front of that 1 sigular glowing window, there was a yellow glowing climbing spot.
and after breaking that GLOWING window, you find exactly 1 object behind the window.

you then have to push that metal thingy through a force shield WHICH SHE TELLS YOU TO DO AS WELL... and which is also the 1 and only way you can even push that metal thing.
she's literally like "I am able to push the metal thing (not sure what she actually calls it) through that shied, but I have to walk around".

like I said, after having that shit, the most simplest of puzzles, spoiled by her I also stopped paying attention to the subtitles and only read them when i saw that it was one of the other Characters speaking and not Aloy.

edit: thank god for Longplays on Youtube lol!

here is the exact "puzzle", the guy in the video even speeds through the part and she still manages to explain what to do before he can do it speeding as fast as possible

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
the only instance where not simply standing on it was needed is a moment where Aloy tells you she can't hit the pillar from it, and then immediately tells you you need something heavy to push onto it. the ONLY place that something could have been is behind the glowing yellow wall that DIRECTLY NEXT TO THE PLATE...
in that moment you are on a platform where there is literally nothing but 1 pressure plate, 1 wall and 1 glowing yellow window. that is all there is. not only that, but in front of that 1 sigular glowing window, there was a yellow glowing climbing spot.
and after breaking that GLOWING window, you find exactly 1 object behind the window.

you then have to push that metal thingy through a force shield WHICH SHE TELLS YOU TO DO AS WELL... and which is also the 1 and only way you can even push that metal thing.
she's literally like "I am able to push the metal thing (not sure what she actually calls it) through that shied, but I have to walk around".

like I said, after having that shit, the most simplest of puzzles, spoiled by her I also stopped paying attention to the subtitles and only read them when i saw that it was one of the other Characters speaking and not Aloy.
Wow. Game has lots of handholding.

Pressure plates and pushing objects arent the type of puzzles that need characters to tell you what to do.

I find it amazing that the handholding, not only does it involve dialogue but also highlighted objects. The game might as well just do it for you.

Topher

Gold Member

I'm not suggesting the "puzzle" was hard. I'm factually stating you conveniently left information out. You said nothing about finding "something heavy" at all. You said it was simply a matter of standing "on pressure plates". It is a basic jumping puzzle. I'm not saying it is really hard at all, but at least be thorough if you are going to criticize.

And this is early game stuff. How much have you played?

edit: thank god for Longplays on Youtube lol!

here is the exact "puzzle", the guy in the video even speeds through the part and she still manages to explain what to do before he can do it speeding as fast as possible

Thank God you've got someone who knows exactly what to do after the fact. Are you even playing this game or just watching others play?

Pressure plates and pushing objects arent the type of puzzles that need characters to tell you what to do.

I find it amazing that the handholding, not only does it involve dialogue but also highlighted objects. The game might as well just do it for you.

Wow......so you haven't played the game at all?

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Name one Xbox game that does this.....

Hell name most multiplatform games that do.

You're telling me Gears 5 doesn't help you after many encounters?

Examples:
@3:18:00 - Okay -- We got'em all! Now let's deal with this gate situation.
@3:32:00 - Could be a blown fuse or something. Just need access to a circuit panel.

In GTAV, people would call your phone every single time to remind you of story and side missions.
If you're playing a lot of modern Resident Evil games, they'll give you subtle hints on what you need to complete a puzzle.

These are just a few games that are ALWAYS giving you hints throughout your playthrough, even when you're in the middle of completing a puzzle.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
What does it have to do with Xbox? That tutorial shit is present since early 2000s, but now it doesn’t even end at the tutorial, it goes on during the whole game.
I said fans. It's funny seeing many Xbox fans show up in a thread. These are the same guys who ask you to leave a thread if you're critical of an Xbox game. lol

Plantoid

Funny how a thread mods demmed unworthy 2x is now at almost 500 replies...

So it seems there IS something we can discuss about Elden ring UX.

Game could use some QoL features, lots of great suggestions already popped here, shout-out to "icons that show what items are new"

Cyberpunkd

Game could use some QoL features, lots of great suggestions already popped here, shout-out to "icons that show what items are new"
But why? It’s not like you are getting a lot of items in Elden Ring, you can easily go back to inventory to check it.

Kagey K

Banned

Op of the other thread said he asked for it to be deleted.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member

No. First thread was closed by request of the OP. Second thread was closed due to blatant mischaracterization and attempt at console warring.

Actual discussion of this topic is not considered “unworthy”.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
do I have to seek videos on youtube to post here as proof? this happens literally in every part of the game FOR EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO DO. she never stops talking, she always tells you exactly what you have to do. only in some of the very optional side stuff she isn't quite as obvious, but on the main story path she will explain every puzzle
Notice how you went from saying that Aloy tells you what to do every single step of the way and now it's, "for everything you need to do."

It's a lie. The most basic hints she will give you is that you need to find out how to release something or that you need to get high enough to reach a certain option. She will often talk if you discovered or see an objective such as a door, relic, key, or crate.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member

Hey in Elden Ring you get helpful chatter from NPCs like, "Give me a hug", "Show me your fingers", and "Go in that hole".

Last edited:
If you get the big things right (From), people forgive small mistakes. If you get the big things wrong (most modern western gaming devs), people don't really care that you got the little things right. Most games are like polished turds. Elden Ring is a rough diamond.

Amazing what you can do when a true artist and his talented team are just making a great game. As opposed to... well, let's not get into that now.

Topher

Gold Member
If you get the big things right (From), people forgive small mistakes. If you get the big things wrong (most modern western gaming devs), people don't really care that you got the little things right. Most games are like polished turds. Elden Ring is a rough diamond.

Amazing what you can do when a true artist and his talented team are just making a great game. As opposed to... well, let's not get into that now.

That assumes we all agree on what the "big things" are and who got them right.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Again, the only reason elden ring scored so high is because it was mostly reviewed by rabid From fans who jerk off to everything the studio does and have the ability to ignore the PS3 era graphics and outdated ass combat.

Most people who play the game who aren’t obsessed with From think it’s just another open world game with cool art.

It’s the most overrated game of all time. Devs have a right to call it out

yup, and the only reason other games score so high is there are a bunch of fan boy influencers now in a position of “power” who “review“ games for particular platforms and are quick to label every release on the platform a masterpiece….when in reality they are far from it.

….in short…reviews are bullshit and you don’t have to take them seriously. Just play what you enjoy and forget about everything else.

if you don’t like Elden ring that’s fine. play what you like.

but being a salty dev is not cool, it shows how insecure they are and in fact rely on inspiration from whatever games have been the big sellers in the last ten years. Waste man devs!

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member

Last edited by a moderator:

Bragr

Banned
If a game is telling me where to go and then showing it to me on the map, then also making my horse auto run to said location, I count that as hand holding. And that's exactly what Ass Creed does.
You can still go do whatever for 6 hours if you like. Hand holding is stuff like Uncharted climbing, where you cant fail.

And hand holding aint automatically bad either.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
If those devs want to make open world hand holding for mass appeal then thats their choice but my issue here they criticize other devs if they don’t follow their lead and call them “bad design”.

What majority us like about FROM games is they don’t follow your typical AAA templet.

Elden Ring in my opinion breath fresh air when it comes how it’s open world design compare what we are getting with majority of AAA western open world games these days.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
No...what's not acceptable is ppl losing saves. Performance issues are acceptable speciallly if they patch them, which they have. There's a fine line between what should be docked or not in terms of points. Bf2042 for bad reviews cause it's a shitty game with massive performance issues.

Thing is...with these repetitive ass open world boring games, u just have nothing else to review. Same shit every year, different name...might as well review how shitty it performs. Elden ring doesn't have that issue. It's a legit amazing game in which it's gameplay loop is reviewed and praised and not so much it's technical issues since we live in an era of post launch patches.

Elden ring is being reviewed and scored on how good it is. It's as simple as that.

Now, game breaking bugs like the save bug are unacceptable.

They haven't patched shit, the console versions (and the PC version from what I hear) still run like garbage. What are you talking about?

But sure, losing progress is even worse. Both issues are unacceptable.

Cyberpunkd

Perhaps they could call out and tell you where to go, so you don't get lost along the path they hope you follow.
But again - why? This is the sense of discovery in these types of games. Also - they did tell you where to go, sites of grace have a light beam directing you to your destination, this is also visible on the map.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom