• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft Boss Tells Employees That NFTs Are Just The Beginning

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Really hate this, because this definitely will make sure that governments will starts to regulate crypto even more. I helping few crypto (non-NFT) project myself, so not going to lie, I am sort of triggered that people are saying that crypto should just crash. I mean, I would loose quite a lot and I never "become rich" on them, but it is quite a nice bonus to have. That's for sure.

GeorgPrime

Banned
It's official, NFT's are this generations lootbox.

This will be fun, I wonder which franchises will die because of this.

Hopefully crypto will crash and burn before anyone gets the chance to really fuck shit up.

You will have two ways of integration:

1. The "we just care about money" corporate integration that will use NFTs in the worst possible way to increase profit
2. The "offer people a way to earn a living" integration that will offer people a way to increase their lifes while playing an NFT Metaverse.

Just ignore 1. and focus on 2. I guess 1. wont even bother with integrating their own blockchain and their own crypto currency while 2. combines those stuff with NFTs to make it possible for you to change your life while playing it.

Lootboxes are kinda the same:

1. You get the "Pay more money for that free to play shit" lootboxes that increase profits for the developers
2. You get the "Its part of the gameplay and doesnt require extra money" lootboxes in some games and you just have to search ingame for the correct currency.

Just ignore 1 and focus on 2

Last edited:
What a fucking idiot. If they do add these things to singleplayer games I'll just request my uplay to be deleted and never touch them or play any of their games. No loss anyway, Ubisoft hasnt done anything spectacular in ages anyway.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Rhwqlxx.jpg

Deanington

You will have two ways of integration:

1. The "we just care about money" corporate integration that will use NFTs in the worst possible way to increase profit
2. The "offer people a way to earn a living" integration that will offer people a way to increase their lifes while playing an NFT Metaverse.

Just ignore 1. and focus on 2. I guess 1. wont even bother with integrating their own blockchain and their own crypto currency while 2. combines those stuff with NFTs to make it possible for you to change your life while playing it.

Your number 2 is what I am interested in/also on the fence with NFT's . I know this is the future. Ive seen Adidas, Bansky art, etc throw their hat into this ring. That is interesting to me because outside of the digital coin you get tangible real world items. The digital side is what confuses me. What do I do with purchased digital land, shoes, art, etc? Is there going to be a central vr world to display this stuff? Crypto too still confuses me. Only because there isnt a clear path. I feel I have to jump through hoops just to be apart of it. On top of my ignorance of it all, I am afraid of being scammed or lose money. However I dont fear the future and want to be apart of it or at least understand it. Apologies for the random thoughts here.

Last edited:

Ammogeddon

The way they’re implementing NFT nothing but a lame cash grab. The aspiration should be that you own the asset which you can use anywhere in the digital world. Apply it to an avatar, use in another game, keep in your virtual home etc.

Ubisoft’s idea seems to be the item stays within the specific game it was created for and the only unique thing about the item is the serial number. Who gives a flying fuck about a serial number. They’ll keep pumping out the same gear item mark my words.

GeorgPrime

Banned
Your number 2 is what I am interested in/also on the fence with NFT's . I know this is the future. Ive seen Adidas, Bansky art, etc throw their hat into this ring. That is interesting to me because outside of the digital coin you get tangible real world items. The digital side is what confuses me. What do I do with purchased digital land, shoes, art, etc? Is there going to be a central vr world to display this stuff? Crypto too still confuses me. Only because there isnt a clear path. I feel I have to jump through hoops just to be apart of it. On top of my ignorance of it all, I am afraid of being scammed or lose money. However I dont fear the future and want to be apart of it or at least understand it. Apologies for the random thoughts here.

Therer are more and more crypto wallets that store your NFTs aside from your normal crypto currency. We just need some good hardware wallets now to support NFTs as well.

Elios83

LOL this company is more and more at the level of a scam mobile publisher.
The quest for easy money is destroying them.
I went from expecting all their games during the PS2 gen to not care about any of their titles now. They even destroyed AC which was one of my favourite IPs during the PS3 gen.

Last edited:
He's not wrong, enthusiasts on nerd forums and activists on Twitter don't even represent themselves. Most of the people in thread will preorder AC:Infinity day one for the NFT house preorder bonus. EA is wealthy beyond imagination from peddling universally and unanimously derided Sportsball lootboxes while cartoon horse armor has made Epic Games more money than God. Meanwhile an imaginary slot and bingo shovelware maker is worth 4 times Insomniac Games. Ubisoft don't give a FUUU, the entirety of Neogaf, REEE, and Greta Thunberg Twitter could fuck off into the sun and Ubisoft will still be rolling in it. The population at large is genuinely retarded and would buy a used horse turd if you packaged it right.

Keanu Reeves Reaction GIF
Pretty much the inconvenient truth. There's plenty of chumps out there and these industry heavy weights have convinced most of them to eat out of their hands.

It would require a massive backlash to make people like Guillemot reconsider and step back. The industry managed to push through microtransactions, DLC, online subscription fees, game telemetry, etc. and currently, in the process of making GaaS the future standard onward. Why stop there?

If anything, the average consumer has proven that the sky is the limit and can be forcefed whatever these companies want accordingly with none to low resistance. The average game consumer has the restraint equivalent to a wooden beam upholding 1 ton of steel. The majority will follow complacently if anything. Folks in places like GAF can laugh and express their disapproval as much as they like. These businesses still won't give a toss.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
While things like DLC was gradually accepted when it was more akin to an expansion, I would agrue that MTX and Lootboxes were never fully accepted but just players deal with them. I for instance never utilize that shit.

NFTs would be taking it too far. Remember the outcry over the digital editions of 3D Mario collection being limited? Imagine instead of that there are only 3000 NFTs of the game. Now imagine its 15 years later and the Switch online ecosystem shuts down and you cant even play your rare NFT anymore.

Elios83

What is NFT?

Not sure if I've got it right but basically you can buy/get official ownership of a digital item through a unique code/token that is handled through blockchain.
In this way a market is created with other people willing to bid for the ''ownership title'' and people making money out of it.
Who created the asset in first place (the publisher?) could get a percentage of money at each transaction.

This is how I got it but if other people could correct this if wrong it might be interesting to learn.
In any case it's a total bullshit that should have nothing to do with games and publishers following this stuff instead of just trying to make quality games should simply fail.

Last edited:
When Guillemot was pressed for details about what new types of gameplay NFTs and blockchain technology would make possible, sources told Kotaku the CEO didn’t really provide any. Instead he spoke more broadly about how concepts like the metaverse would allow players to build and sell virtual houses, and have agency in the game creation process itself.

Bitch, I'm not looking to make your games for you. That's what I pay you for.

Usually these NFT's have a permanent percentage kickback to the platform they were created on. A site I get t-shirts from started offering NFT's. In the fine print there is a permanent 5% royalty that goes back to the original platform. No matter how many times it changes hands somebody else gets that 5 percent.

So much for "owning" a unique digital item.

Yves Guilllemont better focus on making sure he has any devs left to do his bidding, also project after project at UBISOFT have ended up in development hell.

He could not even have his devteam make a simple pirate game concept come to life using already made assets from AC Black Flag, it took them almost 3 years and they barely had a playable alpha.

Also Beyond Good And Evil 2 which turned into an always online live service game which nobody asked for, there has been nothing but silence since Ancel could not keep it in his pants and was fired.

And according to rumos people are expecting the game to be offically cancelled soon.

He has precided over a shitshow at Ubisoft for years

Really hate this, because this definitely will make sure that governments will starts to regulate crypto even more. I helping few crypto (non-NFT) project myself, so not going to lie, I am sort of triggered that people are saying that crypto should just crash. I mean, I would loose quite a lot and I never "become rich" on them, but it is quite a nice bonus to have. That's for sure.

Well when I hear people talk about NFT's and web3 I get the sense they are thinking the glory days of the internet will return where it was like the wild west with less corporate control than it is now.

But what they failed to realize is that those idealists who belived that during that time sold out because huge corporations offered them money, and if google offers some small time site a shit ton of money for a site they are gonna sell.

NFT and web3 will be corporatized the same way as the web is now and Ubisoft and other corporations are getting ahead of it now.

GymWolf

What a fucking idiot. If they do add these things to singleplayer games I'll just request my uplay to be deleted and never touch them or play any of their games. No loss anyway, Ubisoft hasnt done anything spectacular in ages anyway.
Last good thing That came out from ubisoft was her

1LCvAphUV8FSnzdBxJtTwgz8yXuu5lQ5F9lXaAwthK18s4QRAUZS2sdovwtrJTBCD6xwFOe6Ay0Zr0vLGYCc2oOaD5HFvdA1WtFpC0OsNvGpHi3oZRKfAQWuqaZ81O2dSSKtEXqU

I for one am happy Ubisoft is nominating themselves as the first company to tank themselves into the ground with this shit.

They're like a dumbass kid who no matter what you tell him, keeps going near to the stove to try and touch the hot plate. Eventually, they'll get their way and learn the fucking hard way.

I hope that shit stings something fucking royal, Ubisoft.

Last edited:
Top Bottom