• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft draws buyout interest

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
If you were to ask me. I would considered UbiSuave one of the lesser evils of the Big Western Publishers, just due to their consistency in creating new AAA IPs.

(Of course, their games are trash to me)

But at least you were seeing new shit from them.

If they are indeed in 'bad shape' just puts in perspective how fucked up this industry is.

But well..it is what it is I guess...

skit_data

They have a few good IPs for sure, but just like Activision/Blizzard they’ve relied too heavily on a few IPs that doesn’t bring much innovation with each installment. Hopefully they could find their way back under new management or on their own.

EDMIX

But at least you were seeing new shit from them.

Agreed, its why I usually disregard my personal opinion about their titles when I factor that. I don't buy everything they make, usually end the gen with like 3 or 4 games from them at most, but I respect that they try, the whole industry imho should have a a few new AAA IP every gen.

It legit can't just be up to Sony and Ubisoft to do bunch of new series every gen. Sure I didn't care for AC series, but I liked Watchdogs, I didn't care for The Division, but I like knowing that my purchase of this publisher is not based on a few IP, it can change every gen. For all I know they make something I love next gen thats a whole new IP. So I respect that they really put a deep investment in new IP and people always cry about wanting new IP, yet disregard several publishers that really do that every gen.

EA and Activision out here a sleep at the wheel in this area lol Ubisoft always has a change to get a sale from you every gen and that openness to new concepts and series is why I feel those teams would blossom under Sony.

If they are indeed in 'bad shape' just puts in perspective how fucked up this industry is.

But well..it is what it is I guess...
Well...maybe, maybe its really just Ubisoft and not the industry as a whole. Record profits and record sales all around, their management might just be crazy right now or something lol

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
Well...maybe, maybe its really just Ubisoft and not the industry as a whole. Record profits and record sales all around, their management might just be crazy right now or something lol
That's what I am saying, gaming companies are making tons of money and yet, it feels they a barely surviving.

It feels this way because they are chasing trends like there is no tomorrow.

Battlefield, Call Of Duty, Anthem, Avengers/Strangers in paradise, babylon's Fall/Xdefiant (or whatever) and also that forgettable expansion or game called Quarantine/Extraction or something like that from Ubisoft.

3liteDragon

Blackstone is also buying up houses in the US at 30% over list price. Getting ready for the great reset own nothing and be a happy and all that.
This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

That's what I am saying, gaming companies are making tons of money and yet, it feels they a barely surviving.

It feels this way because they are chasing trends like there is no tomorrow.

Battlefield, Call Of Duty, Anthem, Avengers/Strangers in paradise, babylon's Fall/Xdefiant (or whatever) and also that forgettable expansion or game called Quarantine/Extraction or something like that from Ubisoft.

Blame the general gaming audience for only buying and promoting the same type of game that are overly familiar tot them. While you expect consumers to be cautious because games cost 60/70 dollars a publisher is gonna be even more cautious because they are dumping millions, sometimes 100’s of millions into these big AAA games and can’t afford to have people shrug them off like they did Death Stranding for example.

The more big games deviate from the norm the more they either get ripped apart or completely ignored. People are treating Elden Ring like the second coming of Christ, while the formula has been around for over a decade already. It took 5 Souls games for it to break into the mainstream.

Last edited:

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
Blame the general gaming audience for only buying and promoting the same type of game that are overly familiar tot them.
I mean, even the most overly familiar game to gamers now, was once a new type of game.

While you expect consumers to be cautious because games cost 60 dollars
That's not enterity the whole picture. Clearly, people are willing to pay Full Price for these AAA games even if they are broken and have red flags before release. The issue is that these Publishers/Devs know that they can get away if they are able to pull it off. (Fix the game down the line)

a publisher is gonna be even more cautious because they are dumping millions, sometimes 100’s of millions into these big AAA games and can’t afford to have people shrug them off like they did Death Stranding for example.
DS was a successful New AAA IP tho. But of course, AAA publishers got to be cautious, I don't blame them, the issue is that this companies are making tons of money and yet it feels they are barely surviving (as I said before). And obviously this is not true. They just want the 'easy' money of what's popular.

The more big games deviate from the norm the more they either get ripped apart or completely ignored. People are treating Elden Ring like the second coming of Christ, while the formula has been around for over a decade already. It took 5 Souls games for it to break into the mainstream.
You just explain a process of how things works.

Something new get released and over time becomes popular or not.

The Open World craze didn't happen overnight. The same with the Battle Royale genre or the Hero Shooter for example.

You got tons of souls 'inspired' games over the years as well.

What is the next big thing? I dunno. Is just recently that the Battle Royale genere Infected the big Third Party publishers.

So. This is why my original point. Ubisoft felt like the Third Party Publisher which was/is making new AAA IPs constantly. But now a days even if they are creating new IPs, everything is driven by the GaaS/Live virus.

MS would have probably bought them already, if they aren't busy right now with the Acti acquirement.
I'd imagine they want the Activision deal to go through but I feel they won't purchase another publisher anytime soon, smaller studios are probably more likely.

It'd be so funny to see no one having an interest in buying Ubisoft (not happening). Idk but IPs like Assassin's Creed, Splinter Cell, Rayman are still worth saving.

Three

Rainbow six siege seems to be doing better than Halo, Forza H5, COD Vanguard, Elden Ring, and Destiny on xbox most played

Yet little to nobody has mentioned the Ubisoft IP here

Last edited:
Rainbow six siege seems to be doing better than Halo, Forza H5, COD Vanguard, Elden Ring, and Destiny on xbox most played

Yet little to nobody has mentioned the Ubisoft IP here
It is that is what i been trying to tell people but they think that nobody plays Ubisoft games lol
when that is clearly not the case when you look at the data
people on gaming forum do not represent the mass of gamers out there
Ass Creed, Tom Clancy & Far Cry are still huge popular seller IP's

Ass Creed franchise alone has sold more copies then any of Sony or MS 1st party games franchise

Twinblade

Because there are 20k employees at ubisoft, sony wouldnt really be doing shit to improve a company of that size.

If they bought them its just for revenue and ubisoft isn’t a company that see’s a lot of actual profits years to year which is why they are stressing all these new GAAS and NFT initiatives. They are shitty bloated company.

If sony buys them i know the future they are moving towards is not one i care for, especially when sony already makes ubisoft style games, only better.

A lot of people are going to lose their jobs. Whoever buys Ubisoft, won't keep 20k employees.

Andodalf

Banned

Origins, Odyssey, and Valhalla are in no way rushed out the door. Like I have no idea how you could play them and come to that conclusion. Like sure AC:V had a few bugs but it came out in a pandemic. If anything the games feel over cooked with too many subsystems and content that doesn't mean much.

People really will just say any random shit along with "Ubi bad"

Edgelord79

Gold Member
If sony buys them i know the future they are moving towards is not one i care for, especially when sony already makes ubisoft style games, only better.
This makes no sense. If Sony already makes Ubisoft style games why wouldn't you want more IP's that center around successful 3rd person open world cinematic experiences to work with? Why would this be detrimental to Sony? How could having more blockbuster IP's do draw from and create worlds from possibly be a bad thing?

oldergamer

Ubi last time partnered with the Canadian teachers pension fund which is crazy rich. I'm sure they will fend off any takeover attempts

Top Bottom