• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Ubisoft] Far Cry 6: Ray Tracing exclusively on PCs.

Topher

Gold Member
RT is too much a resource hog for consoles anyhow.

Give me more frames

I've never felt compelled to trade frames for RT on PC either, personally. Just isn't worth it. Maybe one day when I can buy a new GPU and not put a second mortgage on my house then perhaps, but until then it isn't a fair trade, imo.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I've never felt compelled to trade frames for RT on PC either, personally. Just isn't worth it. Maybe one day when I can buy a new GPU and not put a second mortgage on my house then perhaps, but until then it isn't a fair trade, imo.
I have a nice beefy PC and I never use RT I want 4k 160fps over anything ray traced :)

Topher

Gold Member
I have a nice beefy PC and I never use RT I want 4k 160fps over anything ray traced :)

bromance GIF

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
This is ubisoft. They can't make any decent game engine. They have w a few shit ones with RT glued into them.
Yah definitely. If their “non-decent” game engine cant get RT and 4K60fps on console but can work on PC, then offer it on PC and not console, we agree this make sense.

gypsygib

1440p looks like garbage to me on my 4K screen. Lowest res. I'd use is ~1800p or DLSS which upscales from lower resolutions, but still looks way better than 1440p.

I've been enjoying way to many crisp native 4K games lately to not notice a difference.
Monitor or TV?

TVs scale lower resolutions very well, monitors are terrible at scaling. Everything non-native on a monitor will look very blurry while on a TV, any mid to high-end will make 1440p look 90% as good as 4k from normal viewing distance.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I thought this was funny:

U8RF8OJ.png

Which would mean that you wouldn't be able to play the game with HD textures with one of the most sought after GPUs on the market today (the RTX 3080). Ubisoft obviously likes to joke around.

Md Ray

U8RF8OJ.png

Which would mean that you wouldn't be able to play the game with HD textures with one of the most sought after GPUs on the market today (the RTX 3080). Ubisoft obviously likes to joke around.
I'm wondering if this would be the first game where you'd see higher quality textures on consoles than PCs with more powerful GPUs but with <11GB VRAM (3070 Ti, 3080).

Be interesting to look at PC vs PS5/XSX comparisons.

Tschumi

Ray Tracing isn't refined enough yet, i think both consoles came out at a bad moment because any RT Hardware they have is, like, really early tech and consequently bound to be inefficient.

I think the pro editions are going to be Way more capable of handling complex RT. I kinda feel like every month that goes by is going to reduce the requirements of RT solutions by a percentage point or so.

4k 60 without RT, one could mention a few games which would have enjoyed a much smoother development cycle if they had been so responsible with their priorities.

Last edited:

Amey

It's an AMD sponsored title and their top 4 this gen, 6900xt, 6800xt, 6800, 6700xt, all have 12GB or more vRAM.

Kenpachii

U8RF8OJ.png

Benchmarks say 9,3gb usage at the highest. 8gb cards are in trouble for that 3080 not so much.

Last edited:

TxKnight7

PS5 and XSX games with RT.
  1. Doom Eternal
  2. Spiderman
  3. Ratchet
  4. Control
  5. Deathloop
  6. Call of Duty Cold War
  7. Watch Dogs
  8. Devil May Cry 5

PS5 and XSX port of PC games without RT: