• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft has pulled out of E3 2023

Aaron Olive

Good.... the ball is in your court Yves, Do your Job and book a flight to Singapore to check your work.
Yves-Guillemot.jpg

Last edited:

Laptop1991

Ubisoft are closing their forum's for good as well on the 25th of April, and going to Discord like Bethesda did which was a mistake imo, they are getting good at pulling out of things and shutting them down lately.

EDMIX

awkward-black.gif

so who's gonna be there?

lol was just going to say the same thing.

This isn't really shocking, this is what most publishers are doing. If they can convey their message over social media when they are good and ready to, that makes much more sense then trying to force their teams to make builds for certain dates for E3 or something.

I'd rather they continue developing and show off titles when they are ready to, then force those teams to make preview builds for E3. That event has become completely irrelevant based on social media.

They should’ve pulled the plug on the show back in January when Nintendo and Xbox pulled out.

RIP E3. It was a great run, but Covid killed it.

Last edited:
I really don't know what they would be showing anyway? They do have the Avatar game, but I'm not sure if they are ready to show the next Assassin's Creed game yet. Far Cry just came out not too long ago, and I'm not even sure if they are moving forward with more Watch Dogs games. Their Tom Clancy multiplayer games have looked pretty bad recently, and I wouldn't be surprised if th they have to return those. Last Rabbids game was a dud, so probably not one of those. Beyond Good & Evil is still in limbo right? That pirate game they want to release was being reworked........ Just no idea what they are going to show anyway.

DaGwaphics

People joke about E3, and maybe it is/was ridiculously expensive for the companies involved in the internet age, but I always like getting all the shows in rapid fire succession. It was always every gaming nerds Christmas.

Give it all to me in a week rather than in little bits and pieces that I don't really keep up with. Certainly seems to be the end of an era.

Hugare

People celebrating E3's death is mind boggling

Having 7 different livestreams for each company, per year, 90% consisted by mediocre games is so much better than one week of announcements, right guys?

It makes sense from a business perspective, but people applauding it is so dumb

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
At the end everything changes at some point - luxury watch industry had an annual event in Basel going back 50-60 years (I attended three times), then at some point all major brands decided they don’t need to do things this way, they can have their own events spread throughout the year.

Impotaku

I'd rather have nintendo direct style presentations than watching a room full of paid chimps whooping and clapping/crying as they fawn over every shit scripted "gameplay" video live on stage.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I'd rather have nintendo direct style presentations than watching a room full of paid chimps whooping and clapping/crying as they fawn over every shit scripted "gameplay" video live on stage.
Real reactions are still great:

Today you got youtubers with fake ones that are worse than those paid people. There is someone filiming Direct reaction at the NYC store of Nintendo which is great.

Varteras

Gold Member
No one at Ubisoft knows how to pull out. That's why they have over 20,000 employees when they should have 5,000 tops. The kids work there, too. Which might also explain why they can't get shit done and when they do you can't fucking tell what they were trying to make. You just smile, put it on the fridge, and act proud when your friends ask. Because you're too proud to admit they're imbeciles.

SJRB

Gold Member

Having 7 different livestreams for each company, per year, 90% consisted by mediocre games is so much better than one week of announcements, right guys?

I don't get it either.

E3 is [or rather was] such a special week. It was basically gaming Christmas. Taking a few days off work, watching the conferences until 5 in the morning because fuck EU amirite, MS Sony and Ubi just carpet-bombing videogames over the course of 10 hours. It was epic for the experience alone. Gamespot and IGN doing 12-hour livestreams. Even if some years the show itself was mediocre it was still a great time.

I understand why E3 is dying, but I'll never understand regular gamers cheering about that. It's kinda sad.

Ar¢tos

Let it go!

Kev Kev

When did it become trendy to hate E3? It was such a spectacle with lots of trailers, demos and device/console reveals. The hype leading up to it was a lot of fun. Are the people hating E3 now the same losers who actually enjoy the summer game fest show or whatever it's called? Enjoy your danger hair retard advertisement marathon, I guess.

It's really disappointing to think there will never be another massive live gaming convention like E3, and that we will just tell stories about it to people who weren't around to see it, smh.

Loomy

Keighley won. Now you will see worthless shit with ads and sponsorships spread out over 3 months. Enjoy your dystopian hellscape everyone.

That is unfortunately why Summer Game Fest makes more sense. Having these announcements made from every publisher/platform over the course of 2 days was fun, but things got lost in the media coverage. Having more breathing room between announcements gives everything at least a small chance of having some time in the news cycle before the next big thing gets announced.

E3 should have evolved. They had the perfect opportunity to take a step back and plan this out during the 2 years of lockdown, but all they came up with was "let's do the old thing again".

Loomy

When did it become trendy to hate E3? It was such a spectacle with lots of trailers, demos and device/console reveals. The hype leading up to it was a lot of fun. Are the people hating E3 now the same losers who actually enjoy the summer game fest show or whatever it's called? Enjoy your danger hair retard advertisement marathon, I guess.

It's really disappointing to think there will never be another massive live gaming convention like E3, and that we will just tell stories about it to people who weren't around to see it, smh.
Unfortunately, publishers/platforms don't need E3 anymore, but E3 needs them. The dynamic of that relationship has changed forever.

Hugare

That is unfortunately why Summer Game Fest makes more sense. Having these announcements made from every publisher/platform over the course of 2 days was fun, but things got lost in the media coverage. Having more breathing room between announcements gives everything at least a small chance of having some time in the news cycle before the next big thing gets announced.

E3 should have evolved. They had the perfect opportunity to take a step back and plan this out during the 2 years of lockdown, but all they came up with was "let's do the old thing again".
The "main events" were spread out. You didnt have Ubi's event at the same time as Sony's and etc.

Sure, many bombs were dropped in a small timeframe that small/AA games got burried. But maybe make a preshow event to announce them or something. Easily solvable.

Summer Game Fest is riddled with ads, cringe moments and wet fart announcements.

Its biggest moment last year was the Part I announcement. A remake from a game from 2013, that was already leaked months before. The rest was just new gameplay trailers from already announced games.

Kev Kev

Unfortunately, publishers/platforms don't need E3 anymore, but E3 needs them. The dynamic of that relationship has changed forever.
I understand the business implications, but for people to act like they're so happy E3 is over is dumb. It was a great show for spectators and gamers. It received media coverage all over the world and legitimized the industry, to a degree. It was real and in-person, live action and it was a lot of fun to go to, or just watch from your couch. E3 will be missed and I don't get people who are celebrating this. The gamers and consumers are the ones losing out here and it sucks.

Last edited:

Loomy

I understand the business implications, but for people to act like they're so happy E3 is over is dumb. It was a great show for spectators and gamers. It received media coverage all over the world and legitimized the industry, to a degree. It was real and in-person, live action and it was a lot of fun to go to, or just watch from your couch. E3 will be missed and I don't get people who are celebrating this. The gamers and consumers are the ones losing out here and it sucks.
You're 100% right here.

So I’m guessing they committed and expected others to follow. When that didn’t happen they changed their mind?
I don’t think so. They assumed at least Microsoft would be there and Nintendo on the floor, at least. Without the big 3, it isn't worth the money.

Loomy

The "main events" were spread out. You didnt have Ubi's event at the same time as Sony's and etc.

Sure, many bombs were dropped in a small timeframe that small/AA games got burried. But maybe make a preshow event to announce them or something. Easily solvable.

Summer Game Fest is riddled with ads, cringe moments and wet fart announcements.

Its biggest moment last year was the Part I announcement. A remake from a game from 2013, that was already leaked months before. The rest was just new gameplay trailers from already announced games.
Yeah, E3 should have changed to accommodate the new realities of the internet and access. Those were all solvable problems, but for whatever reason no one wanted to or had the balls to do it. Summer Game Fest will always be an ad fest, unfortunately. And it's always going to be gimped by something you brought up earlier - all the showcases/state of plays/directs that happen throughout the year. I just hope they figure out a way to make it more interesting. Keighley seems open to change and feedback, so hopefully they can figure it out.

DaGwaphics

It really makes me wonder though if there is a net gain or loss in exposure with things spread out however. E3 was that one time of year when even gamers that don't follow the gaming news cycle were paying attention, once you've lost that you are just reaching the hyper focused group you could get with a YT video and no event at all. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out, specifically whether there is even a need for any kind of event if the timeline isn't reasonably short.

The only (kind of) legitimate criticism here is the ad usage(which was also present at E3 but I guess people forgot).

Your other criticisms have to do with the state of the industry itself and Covid’s impact, both of which aren’t the fault of SGF.

One of my big issues with Geoff’s SGF is the pacing of the show. He tends to begin with a bang of good announcements and then the middle section is always a slog. He does the same thing with The Game Awards. He needs to get better at pacing his show in a way where the viewership doesn’t fall off a cliff after the first hour.

Another pacing issue was in regards to when he would show unique games and when he wouldn’t. I had this complaint last year, but there were quite a few good looking AA and indie games he decided to leave out of the main event and put in after-shows, or random dev interviews, or other conferences during SGF week that weren’t advertised at all and people had to search for. Or at worse, they had conflicting schedules and you had to choose between conferences.

Examples include the Guerilla Collective showcase, IGN Summer of Gaming, Future Games Show, Freedom Games Live, PC Gaming Show, Future of Play, Net Ease Live, Prime Matter Show, Tribeca Games Showcase, and Epic Games Showcase.

I bet you didn’t hear about over half of these, but they were happening during SGF week and slightly afterwards. Most of them actually had good reveals here and there that devs and publishers had to re-reveal because barely anyone watched these conferences? Want to know why? Because Geoff barely advertised anything else after his own conference, and instead took a backseat to let people figure it out for themselves.

This is the actual complaint that should be voiced to him, not the fact that people like yourself didn’t like the selection of games that were shown because of an off-year. There’s no good feedback in saying “pick better games” if the publishers themselves aren’t doing it either.

To make it clear the e3 brand is returning with a focus on better content, they require that only quality gaming companies can take part.

Poor Ubisoft just isn't there yet. They are a long way from the developers of Peppa Pig Adventures, which is an example of quality software.

Top Bottom