• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft Massive’s open-world Star Wars game is reportedly planned for release by March 2024

AJUMP23

Gold Member
That is just the first release date, we know games do not come out until the third or fourth date.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Okay, so swap my asscreed for The Division reskin. 🤭

It's the Ubi way, afterall.
Yeah, that much we can agree on, lol.

Although since it's Star Wars I guess I won't mind the grind. I would actually welcome an open world Star Wars game that I could play for hundreds of hours, and the fact that Massive is working on it means that it will have top notch audio/visual presentation. We never really had a Star Wars game like this.

The Old Republic is probably the closest thing to an open world Star Wars game that we have right now and it's just a generic MMO that's over a decade old so yeah, gimme that good action-adventure shit, Massive.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yeah, that much we can agree on, lol.

Although since it's Star Wars I guess I won't mind the grind. I would actually welcome an open world Star Wars game that I could play for hundreds of hours, and the fact that Massive is working on it means that it will have top notch audio/visual presentation. We never really had a Star Wars game like this.

The Old Republic is probably the closest thing to an open world Star Wars game that we have right now and it's just a generic MMO that's over a decade old so yeah, gimme that good action-adventure shit, Massive.
You're going to get a Rey battle-sim, and you're going to like it.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I want this to be a huge open world. It's Star Wars, FFS.

I want a map that is AT LEAST 10 milion km2 in size.

And as it's Star Wars, I want giant space and land battles with tens of thousands of units on each side.

Anything less and it'll just feel like any old Open World game with a Star Wars lick of paint. This needs to be epic.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I swear to god if this is going to have anything with those SHIT sequels then I'm gonna make the longest, whiniest thread GAF has ever seen.
They don't have ST games outside of LEGO. There was supposed to be a Rey series of films before the writer's strike. Disney doubling down on stupid.

GymWolf

Disney managed to made me hate star wars so much that i didn't even enjoyed a decent game like jedi survivor so i have no hope for ubi to re-ignite the flame.

Drizzlehell

Banned
They don't have ST games outside of LEGO. There was supposed to be a Rey series of films before the writer's strike. Disney doubling down on stupid.
let-them-die-star-trek.gif

I honestly gave up on the idea that they could bring movies and shows back on track. The only hope left is in some decent games like Jedi Survivor.

We shall see if this is going to be worth a damn too.

Kurotri

Yeah no this is crazy talk, I heavily doubt it's that far along to already release so soon. They probably have something that they can show off at their event to drum up hype but this is 100% getting delayed to 2025. Atleast I hope it does, Ubisoft shouldn't downgrade the game and its scope simply to make the fiscal year window.

CamHostage

I'm guessing that it'll be a live service game made on the same tech as The Division. It wouldn't make much sense to throw a studio with experience in live service looter shooters to make an Ass Creed type of game.

Don't think so? They describe the project as a "new story-driven open-world video game" and "a groundbreaking Star Wars adventure." A GAAS could still conceivably be called an "adventure" and fit that loose description, but it doesn't seem like a clear match. (Plus it seems unlikely they wouldn't say "online open world" in the hype statements if it was a multiplayer product.)

If anything, look at Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora as an indication of what Star Wars might pull tech/processes, as that game might have been the calling card used to secure this deal rather than The Division.

...BTW, so weird to me how many people only think of Massive Entertainment as the makers of The Division. I mean, sure, it's sort of the Ubisoft way to parlay one product line into other developments (although even back to the first Avatar game, I remember some people assuming that would be a "Far Cry reskin", but that one doesn't really resemble other Ubi Montreal projects does it?) However, when I think of Massive, I think of it as an RTS maker for its World in Conflict and Ground Control games, with The Division almost as an outlier added to what they "usually do".

Drizzlehell

Banned
Don't think so? They describe the project as a "new story-driven open-world video game" and "a groundbreaking Star Wars adventure." A GAAS could still conceivably be called an "adventure" and fit that loose description, but it doesn't seem like a clear match. (Plus it seems unlikely they wouldn't say "online open world" in the hype statements if it was a multiplayer product.)

If anything, look at Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora as an indication of what Star Wars might pull tech/processes, as that game might have been the calling card used to secure this deal rather than The Division.

...BTW, so weird to me how many people only think of Massive Entertainment as the makers of The Division. I mean, sure, it's sort of the Ubisoft way to parlay one product line into other developments (although even back to the first Avatar game, I remember some people assuming that would be a "Far Cry reskin", but that one doesn't really resemble other Ubi Montreal projects does it?) However, when I think of Massive, I think of it as an RTS maker for its World in Conflict and Ground Control games, with The Division almost as an outlier added to what they "usually do".
It's been ages since WiC and they weren't even completely cannibalized as a Ubisoft studio back then but sure, if they were able to jump from and RTS to a third person shooter then at least it's a proof that they are capable of diversifying their portfolio, which means that they could pull off a switch to an action-adventure game with this one. I think it's more about Ubisoft's stink that hangs above them. Like you said, the publisher's reputation makes it rather easy to pigeonhole its every project, regardless of which studio is working on it. Kinda like it would be difficult to believe that they would suddenly put Red Storm on a Rayman sequel instead of yet another Tom Clancy shooter. It sounds rather uncharacteristic of Ubisoft.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Like you said, the publisher's reputation makes it rather easy to pigeonhole its every project, regardless of which studio is working on it. Kinda like it would be difficult to believe that they would suddenly put Red Storm on a Rayman sequel instead of yet another Tom Clancy shooter. It sounds rather uncharacteristic of Ubisoft.

Is it though? Look at the titles each studio does, there's a lot of swerve in there if they ever leave their own core product line.

Red Storm, for example, we have a certain idea of who they are and what games they seem to always make, but the two most recent Red Storm projects were not Tom Clancy shooters; they were Star Trek Bridge Crew and Werewolves Within VR.

Massive Entertainment was involved in a weird way with the making of Just Dance Now.

Ubisoft has a lot of studios who make strategy games and RPGs, but for Mario+Rabbids, they went with Ubisoft Milan instead of Blue Byte or Massive or Ubisoft Sofia despite no big credits in that genre.

How does Roller Champions fit in with anything else Ubisoft Montreal has done in over a decade?

Last edited:

Rambotito

I will save everyone the wondering.

/load asscreed
/load star wars skins
/swap skin packages
/execute
/prelim dlc packages
/prep day 1 patch
/final gold master
/make in-game store 100% funcitonal on day 1
/promise new content in Year 1 pass
/turn it into paid DLC isntead
/cancel community day after the first month
/reduce dev team size by 98%

MayauMiao

We're suppose to believe a massive open world Star Wars be out in March 2024, and not a single screen shot?

I'm more willing to believe Skulls and Bones to be out before that.

Stafford

Two sources tell Kotaku that development on Project Helix, which seems likely to include some form of interplanetary space travel, hasn’t been progressing well and hopes are high internally that the game could be Ubisoft’s first non-Assassin’s Creed blockbuster hit in some time. But they also say the company’s goal to release the game within the current fiscal year is probably too ambitious. They still expect it to ultimately slip to sometime in the following fiscal year (which runs from April 2024 through March 2025).

Interfectum

I will save everyone the wondering.

/load asscreed
/load star wars skins
/swap skin packages
/execute
/prelim dlc packages
/prep day 1 patch
/final gold master
/load broken PC port
/autopost Twitter-apology.jpg -chatGPT4

"Dear Valued Community,

We hope this message finds you well. We, at Ubisoft Massive, are writing to extend our sincere apologies to all players and Star Wars enthusiasts who have been affected by the issues encountered in our recently released open-world Star Wars game. We recognize the standards and expectations you hold us to and we acknowledge we have fallen short on delivering the experience that you rightfully deserve.

We are particularly sorry to our PC players, who have been experiencing numerous problems since launch. The numerous bugs, performance drops, and crashing issues that have plagued the PC port of our game are not representative of the level of quality we strive for at Ubisoft Massive. We understand that these issues have disrupted your gaming experience, and for this, we apologize profusely.

Upon reflection, it has become evident that we could have done better in several aspects, from extensive bug testing to ensuring overall gameplay polish before the release. We've learned valuable lessons that we will utilize moving forward in the development of our games, and your feedback has been central to this learning process.

We want to assure you that we have listened and taken your comments, critiques, and reports to heart. Our dedicated teams have been working tirelessly to correct these errors and improve the game's performance across all platforms, particularly on PC.

Our immediate focus is on deploying patches to rectify the identified bugs and performance issues. We're committing ourselves to release these patches as swiftly as possible, while ensuring they are thoroughly tested to avoid introducing new issues. Furthermore, we will be launching a comprehensive roadmap in the coming weeks, outlining our plans for improvements and expansions that we believe will enhance your Star Wars experience in the way we originally envisioned.

Your faith in our abilities is not misplaced and we will work tirelessly to regain your trust. We are extremely grateful for the patience and understanding that you have shown during this time. Your passion for our games fuels our drive to do better and we sincerely hope to deliver on the promises we have made.

Thank you for standing with us during these challenging times. Your ongoing support is invaluable to us and we are committed to ensuring that your experience with our Star Wars game is nothing short of spectacular in the future.

Once again, we are deeply sorry for the frustration and disappointment that has been caused. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to rectify our mistakes and to show you that we can and will do better.

May the Force be with you,

Ubisoft Massive"

Last edited:
Top Bottom