• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft Paris Employees To Strike Following Yves Guillemot Comments

Camreezie

Guess Microsoft will be buying Ubi by September
Tim And Eric Idk GIF
Sweet so still no good ubisoft games for at least another 5 years

EDMIX

Like another user showed on this thread, that was a bonus not taken.
Not exactly a pay cut.
lol yea ok, you spent all this energy trying to vilify this person and one of your fucking examples is something he did.

Might as well go to the next goal post on this one man, be like "ok ,but he is just doing it for PR"

( Yve's feeds the poor )

Winjer - "they not really poor, this is a stunt"

Poor person confirmed.

Winjer - "ok, but he is the one that made them poor doe"

We get it man, you fucking hate the company and are trying to find any reason to bash or attack em. Its not saying they are perfect, but doesn't help that you posted something Nintendo did, only to then try your best to pretend its now suddenly not a big fucking deal that Yve's did the same thing.

Seems like you made up your mind on this person already lol

jakinov jakinov true, but its eating at this mans soul to know the thing Nintendo did, Yves did lol Thats not crow they are ready to eat just yet.

Last edited:
Ummm, that's one way to look at it.

The reality however is that if the board demand root and branch reform to the extent that they'd consider replacing Guillemot, then the cuts aren't going to stop there. Its a perfect pretext to shed *all* the dead wood, and get rid of all the squeaky wheels in the process.

They simply don't have leverage. At best they impact productivity at one site, which just means that studio/location inches higher up on the list for disposal or consolidation. Its not like there's crucial infrastructure being held hostage, they can simply relocate the project(s).

Even if that's true, and many still lose their jobs, that's a better overall outcome for Ubisoft and the staffers that remain than if the current staff just sit around waiting to be laid off eventually.

As I said, better to go down fighting, even if it doesn't ultimately benefit you.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Even if that's true, and many still lose their jobs, that's a better overall outcome for Ubisoft and the staffers that remain than if the current staff just sit around waiting to be laid off eventually.

As I said, better to go down fighting, even if it doesn't ultimately benefit you.

I just don't think calling a strike because the CEO made a company-wide email is a smart move.

You pressure the top executive and he's not going to respond or retaliate directly on an individual level. He's separated by layer upon layer of management and his reaction is going to be applied through the same processes.

Now given this has all come up due to him basically telling the staff that cuts are coming, with the extent of those cuts being dependent on overall company-wide performance... Its just really dumb.

I can see some big layoffs coming, probably will have to hang on to the odd big ip like AC, restructure and come back with some new creations.

I still remember seeing PoP get left behind on PS2 and they went full on with AC on a new generation (PS3/360) even as a PoP fan it was an exciting move, bold and 8 million sold. They need new juice.

Last edited:
I just don't think calling a strike because the CEO made a company-wide email is a smart move.

You pressure the top executive and he's not going to respond or retaliate directly on an individual level. He's separated by layer upon layer of management and his reaction is going to be applied through the same processes.

Now given this has all come up due to him basically telling the staff that cuts are coming, with the extent of those cuts being dependent on overall company-wide performance... Its just really dumb.

Depends on whether you really want to keep working at Ubisoft under a grossly incompetent leader like Yves or not.

Sorry, change starts at the top. Leadership team should be accepting responsibility for the very poor last couple years. They take credit for when things are going well, likewise they need to accept blame for when things are not going well.

Don’t blame your teams, blame yourselves for no recent hits. Ubisoft leadership lacks vision. It’s been clear for years, shouldn’t be surprising to anyone that they need to wake up and make some changes.

//DEVIL//

Lol to hell with these woke and cancel motherfuckers. I hope they all get fired.

Oh no how dare the CEO and our employer say it's up to us to make good games ? How dare he ? We need to spend our time talking shit on Twitter and get paid for our shit games we spent years in development and still look like shit and plays like shit they had to cancel our game and start over . How dare he !!! STRIKE !!!

Also fuck the management as well. Them and EA are the shit companies that started the monetization in games and release games half done with day one patches and shit.

Last edited:

Scotty W

Gold Member
Ubisoft have a talent problem, so good luck with that, Yves. They've been making rubbish games for a long time,
I have played about 2 hours of their games in the past 20 years. It is clear to me that they make very high quality products. But they are not interesting, and they glut the market.

Sure, because striking is going to make your game better, come out on time and get more sales.
Shut up and code the game. Game devs are in big demand, so if you don't like Ubisoft, quit your job and go to a better studio. Asobo makes good games.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Many of you in this thread are completely missing the point.

When an Exec like Yves says something like, "be careful with your spending", what he means is "cut costs as much as possible; meaning salary freezes and layoffs of contractors"

When an exec like Yves says something like, "work more efficiently", what he really means is, "cut the head count and leave the remaining few workers cripplingly overloaded, while refusing to offer any overtime pay."

You're absurdly naive if you're taking Yves's comments at face value.

I think some posters have just frankly never had a professional white collar job of this nature. This corporate exec double-meaning rhetoric is plain as day to those of us who have been in development environments, or even adjacent to them, for any significant amount of time.

Aside from that, imagine being of a mindset that you'd agree with an empty suit CEO over their thousands of crunching workers. I may not like what is coming out of Ubisoft these days, but I'll be damned if I ever bootlick some CEO like I was a IBM yes-man from the 1980's.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Hey Yves! We hope you are enjoying your epic story in HEAD OF UBISOFT, but we're excited to tell you there's even more adventures for you to go on! Check out our exclusive Union DLC package, which unlocks several new areas, has a new and exciting business management game, AND your workers will all start with a 50% efficiency boost! Buy now, or purchase our season pass, with exclusive refusal to crunch and a special Legendary tier "Jumping to wild accusations and adding whatever subtext we want to a statement whether it's there or not!"

We hope you enjoy, and carve your own path into Kingdom Of the Flies - Grown Ass French People Edition

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Perfect example of a big company that is going to sink due to being “woke”. I expect many more to follow. Good riddance, fuck your fake values, and fuck forcing inclusion. Hire the person most qualified for the job or expect your clown ass employee base to act out and force your hand 🤷‍♂️

TransTrender

Gold Member
AC Mirage Pre-order confirmed lol

ima get 2 copies now lol
Hah
Not quite
Ubi has been on my shitlist a year or two before EA.
Looking at this:

Aside from some Ubi published games like No More Heroes 1/2 or Armored Core 2 the last four Ubi games I bought are:
Beyond Good and Evil
Rayman Legends
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope (backlog)

Last edited:

Rivet

I wonder if they strike with French bread, butter, snails, and just amazing food in the strike tent. Here is a casolue while you wave your sign.

"Cassoulet". Nah, we eat sandwiches and sausages during strikes. For a bit of context, today (thursday) is a big strike day in most corporations because our president just decided to push back the age of retirement by 2 years. A lot of people are in mood for strikes in France right now.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
"Cassoulet". Nah, we eat sandwiches and sausages during strikes. For a bit of context, today (thursday) is a big strike day in most corporations because our president just decided to push back the age of retirement by 2 years. A lot of people are in mood for strikes here in France right now.
I saw a French farmer dumping manure on a government building today. Pretty great.

MMaRsu

Banned
Sure, because striking is going to make your game better, come out on time and get more sales.
Shut up and code the game. Game devs are in big demand, so if you don't like Ubisoft, quit your job and go to a better studio. Asobo makes good games.
Actual clown

Miles708

Every time a thread like this pops up, the responses from some people make me lose faith in society.

I suppose that's what happens when you get used to seeing your whole country being run like a private business.

BbMajor7th

Like every other tech firm, they treated the pandemic windfall as a growth trend rather than an anomaly. When reality struck and profits didn't follow predictions (blatant wish-thinking), they needed to make a show to shareholders that they were tackling the problem, so pledged to balance the books through cost savings. This happened at just about every tech company over the past eighteen months and will continue because the people in charge lack the courage or common sense to properly manage the expectations of their shareholders or parent companies. They wanted to take credit for the record uplift, instead, which meant they had to promise to replicate it post pandemic. Quelle surprise! They couldn't.

Millennials 😒
Ah, yes, that oh-so-modern trend of industrial action that only caught on - checks notes - over a century ago.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
I like how the guy who founded a small company and built it into a global power with 18,000 employees is somehow "grossly incompetent".
Leaders cant falter over time? He once had a great company, attracting creatives from all over. Michel Ancel, Jade Raymond, Patrice Desilets to name a few. Who is still there now besides some nameless developers? Who is heading up their teams?

Where is the direction, or better yet where are the good original games? Many franchises have been driven into the ground.

BbMajor7th

What is it with people here and their hatred for developers and workers?
God knows. Most of us would still enjoy all the benefits of a Victorian workhouse had workers never unionised. But sure, take you paid holiday, your medical insurance and your paternity/maternity leave for granted and call people with the courage to stand up for themselves and others a bunch of entitled losers.

Some people refused to be intimidated by people bigger and more powerful than them, others doff the cap and say 'yessir!' when the big man gives them the eye.

Lol to hell with these woke and cancel motherfuckers. I hope they all get fired.
Nothing 'woke' or 'cancel' about industrial action. It's a tradition that stretches back to hairy-arse miners and factory workers more than a century ago; part of a grand human tradition of little people getting together to tell big people "naw, fuck that!" Takes balls though; it's not for everyone.

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Imagine living in the absolute privilege of deciding you should go on strike because the CEO sent an e-mail asking for better utilization of the company's resources.

yurinka

So normal workers has to make up for some bullshit management issues?
Both management and normal workers have to make up for some management and normal workers issues, and this is what they are doing. These mails and internal Q&As he sends are for everybody in the company: from the board of directors to the last trainee tester.

Games there are pitched from workers to studio managers, and then these studios pitch them to their editorial team, who set the basic vision for the company (agreed with the teams and considering their suggestions) greenlight games and milestones.

If the games didn't had enough quality, didn't perform well enough or got canned and there were (I assume mostly covid related) delays, or because CoD/GoW/Pokemon/Elden Ring performed particularly strong letting them less market than usual isn't something you can blame one people or group within them. They all have to improve, the whole team from top to bottom, and also need to be more productive and reduce costs to handle the bad year they had/will have. That's what Guillemot meant.

Depends on whether you really want to keep working at Ubisoft under a grossly incompetent leader like Yves or not.
I like how the guy who founded a small company and built it into a global power with 18,000 employees is somehow "grossly incompetent".
Ubi name comes from 'Union of Independent Bretons' because it started in the 80s with the Guillemot brothers helping a few independent devs who coded games for 8 bit computers on their bedrooms publish and distribute their cassette games and they were from the Bretony region of France.

Almost 40 years later that company has over 20000 workers in over 40 offices around the world, are the biggest European game publisher and one of the biggest 3rd party publishers in the world. They are a key partner for all platform holders and recently got the investment and support of the biggest gaming company on the world to allow that CEO and his brothers secure the control of the company against unwanted acquisitions. His workers defended/supported him and his brothers against a hostile takeover. The company yearly revenue has been growing for the last two decades or more.

There's nothing 'grossly incompetent' on him. After two decades of more of a yearly growth trend, they simply seem to be having a bad year -I assume due to a combination of covid, a few recent projects not performing as expected plus the accusations controversies- so obviously asked his whole team (which includes him and the management team) to make an effort to go back in track, which is what it's expected from a CEO/leader. That's all.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Leaders cant falter over time? He once had a great company, attracting creatives from all over. Michel Ancel, Jade Raymond, Patrice Desilets to name a few. Who is still there now besides some nameless developers? Who is heading up their teams?

Where is the direction, or better yet where are the good original games? Many franchises have been driven into the ground.

Michael Ancel made a bunch of games that would perform horribly in the modern market. He was pushed out for good reason.

Jade Raymond is a producer. She hires people. She doesn't create games.

Patrice Desilets just released a game that sold poorly and was poorly recieved by critics and gamers.

Ubisoft was doing exceptionally well in 2020. Games now take 6+ years to make. If you're not expecting some lean years in the industry then you're not paying attention. Ubisoft is fine. This is all clickbait and some like to feed the algorithm.

Mess

Michael Ancel made a bunch of games that would perform horribly in the modern market. He was pushed out for good reason.

Patrice Desilets just released a game that sold poorly and was poorly recieved by critics and gamers.

Ubisoft was doing exceptionally well in 2020. Games now take 6+ years to make. If you're not expecting some lean years in the industry then you're not paying attention. Ubisoft is fine. This is all clickbait and some like to feed the algorithm.

Can't agree on Michel Ancel. The guy is a fantastic game designer and Wild was prolly the only Ubisoft game I was looking for. I doubt it would have been a huge commercial success but it's the kind of project and the kind of person that will attract new talents. Actual talents. Pushing him out has hurt ubisoft.

yurinka

Can't agree on Michel Ancel. The guy is a fantastic game designer and Wild was prolly the only Ubisoft game I was looking for. I doubt it would have been a huge commercial success but it's the kind of project and the kind of person that will attract new talents. Actual talents. Pushing him out has hurt ubisoft.
The Michel Ancel games many times didn't work well in sales and traditionally also took forever to be made, BGE2 isn't the first, second or third one. At Ubisoft didn't care if his games underperformed because they were prestigious and the company could afford it. Some years ago he retired from gaming after a super fucking long career.

Back then he was working part time on Ubisoft on BGE2 and part time with a small team of indie friends outside Ubisoft on Wild. Both teams continued working on these projects after he left, his work was pretty much completed there.

Yes, part of her job as producer and later as studio manager/executive is/was to assemble teams, but also to lead them. And she did a great job in both things in a big number of super successful games including new IPs and in different companies. She has a brilliant career since she started as coder.

Yes, without the rest of the Ubisoft team behind he only released a game that didn't perform well in sales or reviews.

Yup.

Last edited:
Some of you are real corporate shills.

The blame for making shit games lies at the feet of the CEO. If had no understanding of what was happening or that taking the one formula that worked 10 years ago and milking it dry would cause all these issues then he is useless.

Shut0wen

Unions are a great concept but all they do is protect people with well paid jobs fuck me everywhere they are finding the smallest excuses to go on strike, yet you'll never see a union boss for super markets asking to go on strike because itd effect them

Top Bottom