• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft says it’s ‘surprised’ by Mario + Rabbids sequel’s underperformance

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In a financial update published on Wednesday, the French publisher said it was “facing major challenges” in face of tightening consumer spend, and claimed that sales over the key holiday season had been “markedly and surprisingly slower than expected”.

Sparks of Hope and Just Dance 2023 were named as two games which failed to meet expectations.

“Despite excellent ratings and players’ reception as well as an ambitious marketing plan, we were surprised by Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope underperformance in the final weeks of 2022 and early January,” it said.

In an investor call held following the publication of its financial update—which also saw Ubisoft cancel three unannounced games and delay Skull and Bones yet again—the company said it believed recent releases were negatively impacted by a consumer shift “towards mega-brands and long-lasting titles”.

“When there’s more pressure, people go for the biggest brands, and they don’t go for the small ones,” said CEO Yves Guillemot.

“What we have observed is that there has been some contraction in overall consumer spending coming from the economic environment and rising inflation.

“As you mentioned, that has led to the biggest mega-brands and live services taking a larger share of the market, leaving less available consumer spending for other launches. That’s the clear conclusion that we’ve taken. We’ve seen that there are other games of high quality that have underperformed”.

The exec said he believed in the long-term, the Rabbids sequel would still “do good numbers”. Its predecessor, released in 2017, reached over 10 million players, according to Ubisoft.

“All we can say about Rabbids is that the game has been really well appreciated by players: we are getting community ratings that are excellent. We feel that the game is going to do good numbers over time, but the beginning was not at all what we expected.”

Vandole

The original was great, but it definitely kind of felt like one of those sequels that no one was asking for. I think a large part of the appeal of the original was it was just such a bizarre concept and very well executed on top of that. There was a lot of curiosity just to see what the game was about. That curiosity didn't exist for the sequel. I also predict a lot of people will pick it up, but not till it hits discount bin pricing.

Beechos

Stop releasing the same games every year people are/have been burnt out. Theres more games/choice than ever. Its crazy how they messed up skull and bones they had a bonafide plat hit if they made it the black flag pirate game everyone wanted. Uncharted waters/pirates! with the black flag engine.

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Maybe make an action Mario game instead of some turn based Mario crud nobody cares about.

oh_i_get_it_chris_farley.gif

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Maybe is becoming repetitive? There is a huge difference between his previous game?
Actually in my opinion they improved the combat a lot, you much better control moving your character in map compare to pervious games and Sparks works much better than weapon abilities in pervious game which was tied to RNG to when those abilities activate and the exploration miles better in the sequel.

My only criticism against the sequel is the boss fights no where near as memorable as in the first game.

Last edited:

Fake

Actually in my they improved the combat a lot, you much better control moving your character in map compare to pervious games and Sparks works much better than weapon abilities in pervious games was tied to RNG to when those abilities activate and the exploration miles better in the sequel.

My only criticism against the sequel is the boss fights no where near as memorable as in the first game.

I asked that because Ubisoft have a huge reputation of make things repetitive every fucking time. I saw the game and indeed looks nice.

IMO boss fight need to be huge deal. If you don't make that memorable you lost so much to the games credibility. Or maybe people are running alway from Ubisoft characters? Can't jugde yet, but is very hard of Nintendo to miss in those games.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

Power Pro

I'm not an expert, but my personal belief is that this would come to a number of factors. First one that came to mind for me is that it took a bit too long. The first one was 5 years ago, and for this type of game, that just seems like that's a really damn long time. Not saying they should have rushed it, but come on, 5 years? Kinda missing out on any excitement left from the first one, and like others have stated, it's not really a fresh new concept anymore. I really miss the PS3/360 generation where we got games in 2-3 years for a sequel. I always use this as an example, but Mass Effect 2 was an amazing sequel, and that came out 3 years after the first. Nothing about this game screamed that they needed 5 years to make it.

Another factor is I think some people might be getting wise to Ubi Soft's constant sales...i mean shit, I would never buy a game of theirs until it's on steep discount which happens darn fast. Even this new Mario+Rabbids game was around half price before christmas. Anyone who bought it at launch is gonna feel like a sucker.

Dane

It came out during an extremely competitive quarter, game was announced then disappeared for like a year. An unusual but possible third cause is that because Ubisoft is constantly putting the first one on sale for just 20 bucks is considered far cheap for a Mario(Nintendo) game, even if its a crossover, so people will wait for this after bankrupting with Bayonetta 3 and others.

Last edited:
I enjoyed that first game, but never got the DLC. I dislike the Rabbids so that's already a strike against it. Guess I'm just kinda done with it. Another problem is that the price is sure to drop quickly. Happened with the original too.

I feel bad for the devs though. Seems like it really is a passion project for them.

SSfox

Type of game i would never buy, and won't play even if i got paid for.

Funnily enough started an Ubi game just yesterday aka AC3. Not as good as AC2 and Brotherhood, but still great overall. Remind me when Ubi still can make some great games with soul.

i am surprise a game like that was even made in the first place.

an X-Com like game is a very PC centric, more mature and serious gamer demographic.

Zannegan

Loved the first. I was going to pick up the second day one, but I heard they took out the multiplayer component, and any time I have for gaming goes to local multi these days. I'm sure I'll get it someday, but when you take out features, you risk shedding potential buyers.

DaGwaphics

The whole shift to live service is a sad trend. I hope the Splinter Cell remake makes it to the finish line, and in good form.

Gobjuduck

Banned
Releasing it near Pokémon scarlet/violet was a mistake. Switch had a good October-November, eyes glanced over rabbids.

Last edited:

ADiTAR

Banned
  1. For me, I'm waiting for the inevitable price drop. I think that's their core issue, they are releasing a game and then 6 months later it's half off or even lower. I think I bought the original at $60, totally worth it, but then half a year later it was already like $40 maybe? I'm sure most people bought it at the discount so the perceived value is lower than what they are offering rn.
  2. The art style is similar but different, I think the original had more cartoon rounded vibes and this one is a bit sharper angular, it's small but it's noticeable for me
  3. They waited too long, they released it 5 years later, that's a long time to capitalize on the original
I'll def buy it, but prob when it's $20. At least when I buy Nintendo games I know they won't lose value in two years.

Really liked the first game, didn’t liek the 2nd at all. Dropped it in the 4th level or so

I feel like they injected too much ubisoft into the sequel instead of what people wanted, more mario

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
The publisher is the reason.

If Ubi developed but Nintendo published, then I wouldn't have waited for a price drop and expected lots of shitty MTX. Even if the latter never happened, that's all I could think of. Their name as a publisher is dirt.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I only buy games after they’re $30 or less, or play them when they’re a n a subscription.

Want me to play your game, put it on game pass or ps+ extra.

Bridges

The comment about the shift towards "big names and mega brands" is confusing. You're gonna tell me Mario isn't a big brand?

I absolutely adored the first one, got the second for Christmas but haven't tried it yet. I imagine the first one sold amazing because it was an early Switch game with Mario on the box. It's a niche genre that wouldn't normally do those numbers, and I wouldn't be surprised if the vast majority never got close to finishing it

Whole thing is a shame, this is one of the only good things Ubi has been putting out lately.

Astral Dog

Hmm i think it released too close to God of War and Pokemon.

It might be the genre and high price, a lot of players bought Mario x Rabbids on the Switch, many of them at $20 or $15, the ones buying at launch were the most hardcore Rabbid fans. Many people will just wait until the price gets slashed by Ubisoft, since its not a "must have"

For a turn based strategy game, Mario x Rabbids did crazy big numbers, and i have no doubt Sparks of Hope will sell very well, but its not a new idea as it was on the Switch first year.

Edit:also seeing the Amazon lists, Eshop and the like during the holidays Sparks of Hope got competition from other Mario games

Last edited:

Fredrik

Should’ve launched it on the next Switch instead. Not because it needs more power but because old customers who has stopped playing on OG Switch would’ve returned and seen the sequel to an old favorite among the launch titles.

Robb

Gold Member
Im sure the game is great. But it’s a strategy game, which is kind of a niche genre to begin with, and a sequel.

Not to mention I’m sure the rabbits themselves turn a lot of people off (me included) despite having the Mario name slapped on the cover.

Ywap

I feel bad for them. I´m a huge consumer of Ubi games, and open world games in general.

Some of my all time favourites are Ubi titles, like The Division, Ghost Recon, Far Cry and Assassins Creed.

I hope Mirage is a hit for them so no more future projects are in danger :messenger_pensive:

Dream Line-up from Ubi:

- New Splinter Cell
- Ghost Recon Breakpoint 2
- The Division 3
- Immortals Fenyx Rising 2
- Far Cry 5 - Part 2 (more religious extremists pls)
- Watch Dogs 4 (With a darker tone, the gameplay is excellent already imo.)

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
People actually like the Rabbids? I assumed the first one only sold as it has mario on the cover and it was right place at the right time.

As the parent of a kid who got 5 Switch games for xmas (and would not consider Rabbids) - here’s a tip Ubi - don’t release a game regarded as difficult on the Switch that isn’t adult orientated. Sales poison.

Esppiral

People actually like the Rabbids? I assumed the first one only sold as it has mario on the cover and it was right place at the right time.
Exactly that, new Nintendo console, not many games to choose from, Mario on the cover, You don't need a sales analyst to know that is the reason it sold well, now the switch is a mature console with lots of games to choose... It was written on the wall....

UnNamed

Banned
I think it's strange since the previous game was well received both by critics and public, surely not a divisive game, and from what I know, Spark of Hope is good as well.
It's not even the usual and boring Ubi game like Immortal:FR, a title I liked but very repetitive.

Last edited:
Top Bottom