• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft Stockholm is working on a new IP which may be a sci-fi action game

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Ubisoft Stockholm, the new studio which was initially formed to help out on Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora, is working on an unannounced new game franchise of its own.

The studio recently directed interested candidates to apply to 27 different roles related to its unannounced new intellectual property, and while the details are still scarce, the job listings provide a little more information about what the new project will be. For instance, the "lead game designer action/combat" role notes that "significant experience as a game designer on AAA action games" would be a plus, which - together with the title of the role itself - strongly indicates this will be a big-budget action game with an emphasis on combat.

The animation/engine programmer role specifies that the position "will be part of creating a new animation system and legacy," and that "there is none today" - all of it's going to be made from scratch for this project. In other words, its base level animation and engine systems won't share that much in common with other Ubisoft projects such as Assassin's Creed Valhalla or The Division 2.

Finally, several of the job listings include the exhortation to "get in touch and join us on our journey to the moon!" This may just be a fun way to say that the studio is embarking on a big new project, but it could also be a teaser about elements of the game itself. Is it set in space, perhaps on the moon specifically?

When Copy/Paste for most of the game in a country or region isn't enough...Ubisoft said they gone have you doing the same shit over and over again throughout the galaxy :messenger_tears_of_joy:

This gone be the first time in human history someone took a space shuttle from galaxy to galaxy...and thanks to ubisoft there won't be any surprises, same shit gone be going on lol

EDMIX

Ubisoft needs new IPs. A lot of them tbh. And non open worlds tbh.

Well they always do new IPs every gen.

I'd argue other publishers need new IP even more tbh. Activision is literally out here telling us that they have all their major teams on Call Of Duty.

Last gen new ip, Watchdogs, The Division, For Honor, Fenyx rising etc. I don't believe Ubisoft needing new IP should ever be a criticism, they provided that pretty much every gen, new IP by Ubisoft at this point is an expectation and a given.

That being said..I'm hype for this new Sci Fi game. With them saying elements of space, I think its hard not to make it open world lol

TrueLegend

Well they always do new IPs every gen.

I'd argue other publishers need new IP even more tbh. Activision is literally out here telling us that they have all their major teams on Call Of Duty.

Last gen new ip, Watchdogs, The Division, For Honor, Fenyx rising etc. I don't believe Ubisoft needing new IP should ever be a criticism, they provided that pretty much every gen, new IP by Ubisoft at this point is an expectation and a given.

That being said..I'm hype for this new Sci Fi game. With them saying elements of space, I think its hard not to make it open world lol
I have been invested in their game for more than a decade. They are just way out of touch with their fans and sooner are later its gonna bite them.
I dont have problem with open world, hell ubisoft put their ass on the line creating that anvil next engine and it is awesome but it needs update and optimization and most imortantly they need to stop samify things.
They need to deliver polished game with a feel of the hand. The bespoke factor is not there in their game. Its like tiled game with wide expanse. They also need to ditch their drm because its awful or optimize heavily because god know ubisoft games need a lot of that.
I want ubisoft to cut the fat and let the bloat out.
On other note, this could be star wars.

Last edited:

skit_data

Didn’t even know Ubisoft had a Stockholm office.

Let’s hope its something interesting. Ubisoft is quickly dwindling in terms of quality.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Ubisoft's stock price started to skyrocket in 2017. It's two largest peaks were July 2018 and Jan 2021.

When did NeoGAF start doom and glooming Ubisoft again?

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
I dont have problem with open world, hell ubisoft put their ass on the line creating that anvil next engine and it is awesome but it needs update and optimization and most imortantly they need to stop samify things.
1000% this. I will admit i'm a sucker for big open worlds with a lot of repetitive structure but I couldn't help feel a little disappointed when I was playing Far Cry 6 and it was vaguely a reskin of Wildlands with extra marketing with that breaking bad actor.

I do understand from their business perspective tho. The games seem to sell well and there may not be a need to risk huge investment in changing the formula too much.

Secktor Visage

Neo Member
I love all the worlds Ubisoft created
The problem with their games is the generic gaming experience where It just feels "formulaic" and similiar, like u always play the same ubosoft game with a different name

EDMIX

They are just way out of touch with their fans and sooner are later its gonna bite them.

? Huh? Why did you change the subject? First they need new IP and then when its literally stated they always make new IP, now its "out of touch"?

We can talk about that, but its sounding like your comment before was to make a jab at the publisher, in an odd take mind you as if you closely look at what Ubisoft does every gen, they make new IP.....every gen, to then be like "oh...um out of TOUCH" sounds like you just wanted to bash the publisher and found a way to bash then when one didn't work or something lol

Thats just my take on it.

In terms of what Ubisoft has been doing lately, I can't really say they are "out of touch" tbh. Fans asked for many things and they did many of those things.

From new IP, to changing up AC as not to keep it about the same thing all the time and even that was argued against.

To do AC the same fucking way is to say "omgbbq wooooow THEY NEED TO STOP SAMIFY THINGZ"

Ubisoft- "ok...we'll make a new engine for AC and even make it open world RPG like to change things up"

Also you "wow, just wow out of touch"

I don't know what to say. I think the did a great job and don't get enough credit for what they did well last gen. Many seem to either be sleep to this or have completely forgot all those past criticism of AC. The ones I remember were like "its too short" , look up how people really felt about those original games from 2007-2013. I can't fault them for using a new engine, not being yearly and doing something different with the whole RPG open world thing, as I stated before you'd just argue that they need to "stop samify thingz". To change it is out of touch and to keep it the same is too samy lol

They had issues with AC Unity and shortly after stopped doing yearly AC titles and put it as a open world RPG.
They put out a new IP with The Division. Trailer was greatly downgraded so they apologize and put out a beta as to show people what the game actually looks like, moved record units.
New IP, after new IP, after new IP.

I agree with you on the DRM thing as they need to address that....like this..

So the still have work to do...

In terms of being out of touch, I don't know about all that now. The fact that they are remaking a AC title and the new one is not going to be open world and they still have a team to do the RPG ones shows they are catering to the old fans and established. The fact that out of the top 15 best selling Ubisoft games of all time, 10 of then are from last gen speaks volumes to this so called out of touch man...

So sir...when I hear someone state stuff like "later its gonna bit them" I have to give the deep lolz. Like how its going to bite Activision with COD? They going to pay huh? Soon doe right? Or....or...maybe they are in touch with a base of fans that allowed them to move record units and you just happen to not be that fan. That makes more sense then some secret backlash that only you know about with no unit of measurement to even discuss this whole "gonna bit dem".

I can legit 100% see just how a lot of that is even going to go.

They make a AC with less 'bloat" and people will say "WOW the fucking game is INCOMPLETE, pay more for less? WOW Ubisoft". Come on now man, we've seen this before and you can't tell me folks would not be saying this, they say this now to many publishers and I feel Ubisoft are in a damned if you do and damned if you don't. Its why its a great idea to just split the AC base from linear old school to open world RPG and just have both.

As for this game, could be a new IP, could likely be Star Wars, but I thought for sure that was already a confirmed thing as I don't see why they'd need to code a job listing of a title already revealed or teased to some degree.

edit.

ok so they did actually do a full confirmation type thing. So I don't think this is Star Was. They are saying to the moon. Star Wars to my understanding never references our universe and they wouldn't really need to be secret about it as its already known they are working on a Star Wars open world thing.

So Massive the team that worked on The Division series is doing it.... but.....ok they are in Sweden too along with Ubisoft Stockholm...plays X-files track lol hmmmmmm

Maybe its another Star Wars title, or maybe its a new IP and they are using some of the tech that is done in that Star Wars title at Massive as to why its the same country, different teams.....maybe.

sorry for the baby tree =(

Last edited:

TrueLegend

? Huh? Why did you change the subject? First they need new IP and then when its literally stated they always make new IP, now its "out of touch"?

We can talk about that, but its sounding like your comment before was to make a jab at the publisher, in an odd take mind you as if you closely look at what Ubisoft does every gen, they make new IP.....every gen, to then be like "oh...um out of TOUCH" sounds like you just wanted to bash the publisher and found a way to bash then when one didn't work or something lol

Thats just my take on it.
I don't take jabs for the sake of it. Ubisoft needs freshness that's the key point.....New IP is the easy way to do new stuff. They are making the Anvil engine work for a non-open-world game like Prince of Persia. So they will have an engine ready for that kind of thing.
So that was my take. Blockchain, NFT, Battle Royle these are all tropy trends...........Did you saw how much of a failure Breakpoint was? Is that not fans biting back. You need to get how it works. Unity was resented but I didn't mean the game sold badly. Because thats not how it goes......It was Syndicate which paid the price. Ghost Recon Frontline....check out the response to the reveal. I will drop mic there.

Raven117

Gold Member
I have been invested in their game for more than a decade. They are just way out of touch with their fans and sooner are later its gonna bite them.
They need to deliver polished game with a feel of the hand. The bespoke factor is not there in their game. Its like tiled game with wide expanse. They also need to ditch their drm because its awful or optimize heavily because god know ubisoft games need a lot of that.
I want ubisoft to cut the fat and let the bloat out.
On other note, this could be star wars.
Yeah, it feels like they are out of touch. I thought they had a pretty good run last gen, but then it seemed like things started to go off the rails.

now, with rainbow 6 going for aliens (a game nobody asked for…. I was dying for a pve R6 to move against terrorists)… online ac, it just feels off the mark

wipeout364

Maybe it’s the long rumored and greatly anticipated sequel or reboot of Starlink
xJdczm5.jpg

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe it’s the long rumored and greatly anticipated sequel or reboot of Starlink
This game would have been awesome if it had on foot combat in addition to the ship combat.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
hopefully it will build under new engine.
All their games looks the same now

yurinka

Ubisoft needs new IPs. A lot of them tbh. And non open worlds tbh.
Do you mean games like Riders Republic, Hyper Scape, AGOS: A Game of Space, Family Feud, Immortals Fenyx Rising, Roller Champions, Skull & Bones or Tom Clancy's XDefiant? Since last year to next year or so they will have released these ones. Plus they are working on some IPs for the first time like Avatar or Star Wars.

Last edited:

TrueLegend

Do you mean games like Riders Republic, Hyper Scape, AGOS: A Game of Space, Family Feud, Immortals Fenyx Rising, Roller Champions, Skull & Bones or Tom Clancy's XDefiant? Since last year to next year or so they will have released these ones. Plus they are working on some IPs for the first time like Avatar or Star Wars.
non open worlds.............next time...read

yurinka

non open worlds.............next time...read
You said "Ubisoft needs new IPs." and then added "And non open worlds". The only new IP I mentioned that is an open world is Inmortals.

And I only listed the ones of a couple of years or so, if you get a bigger timeframe and include mobile and VR games the list is way bigger.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
CD Project stock was at peak in August 2020.......go check the stock today.

I'm not sure if that's related to the point I'm making about Ubisoft.

Ubisoft's stock has been pretty excellent over the last 4 years. The last 4 years is when the Ubisoft hate started fomenting. There seems to be a disconnect.

EDMIX

Ubisoft needs freshness that's the key point.....New IP is the easy way to do new stuff
I agree, but they do new IP every generation, its a given at this point. You are asking for something they already do bud..... like every gen.
..Did you saw how much of a failure Breakpoint was?
Irrelevant to cherry pick, did you read how successful their other games have been contradicting your points? I give you the top 10 best selling Ubisoft games in history that basically happen all last gen, yet you find 1 game to pretend the sky is falling? Flops will happen regardless of publisher as its the nature of the business, but I see no reason to pick at 1 game and then ignore 10.

https://gamerant.com/ubisoft-highest-selling-games-ranked-how-much/

So I don't know how we can make an argument of being out of touch with them selling the most Assassin's Creeds in history last gen, most Far Cry sales last gen, The Division as a new IP moves 20 million last gen etc that sounds to me like they know what their fans like if they clearly are getting more of them. What metric do you even fucking have that makes any sense out side of "derrrrr look at Da ReSpOnSe"? Whats next? You going to tell me Call Of Duty is going to flop cause some fucking entitled Youtuber is mad at the font of a game? The hair style of a fake character? Yet no actual sales data can back up the BS, but we should factor in the um "response"? No sir.... IDGAF

I go based on objective fact, not based on fake outrage for some Youtube algorithm thing lol The same fake outrage for clicks should also tell us no one likes GTA, Call Of Duty or Assassin's Creed....so no one can really build any real data off of this as we've seen many will get triggered over shit and try to force this narrative that the WHOLE COMMUNITY is just as mad as them, yet not a single fucking shred of sales data can support it.
..check out the response

no.

Its irrelevant. Might as well tell me to look at the response of folks triggered from Far Cry 5, Fortnite, Call Of Duty, PuBG, Overwatch, Battlefront etc. Remember all that "outrage" for the sale of it? Yea.....remember those games also moving record units and downloads? Sooooooo I don't know if that whole "response" thing can really be taken seriously to measure anything by the majority. Using that logic like every Call Of Duty should have failed or something lol

So even the game you linked, I'm not buying it, I'm not planning to, however I don't see enough info here to suggest we would need Youtube comments to tell us how the majority feels or if they will buy it or if the game will do well etc.

From what I gather, the majority doesn't go on Youtube to comment or for advice on buying games as even all the major reviews stacked up don't equal the total sales of games or something, as in MOST simply don't use that to buy a game and I'd argue most on those comment sections are religious fans that will give you the classic "I know more then dem" comments, they are simply not the majoity man. Its why you want to use that metric, you can't really tell us factually anything has changed for the negative, when objectively that number simply doesn't suggest that people don't want those titles, when they buy them in record numbers, what the fuck am I suppose to thing?

That TRUELEGEND knows all and that those 20 million don't or? So I don't know what will become of that game, its why I'm leaving that judgment for when the game comes out. I don't need to like shit and you don't need to like shit in order for it to sell.

Overwatch
PuBG
Fortnite
APEX

We've seen many online shooters just come out of the woodwork and move massive numbers, for all we know this is one of em or something.

Top Bottom