• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft's Roller Champions Finally Launches Next Week

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.gameinformer.com/2022/05/18/ubisofts-roller-champions-finally-launches-next-week

On May 25, the free-to-play multiplayer title goes live. The game’s 3v3 contests combine skating, racing, and a bit of rugby. Teams skate around a track carrying a ball to toss through a goal for points. You can also earn additional points based on the number of laps you complete. Maintaining possession of the ball requires players to rough each other up using tackle moves and other attacks. Roller Champions ups the ante on real-life roller derby by letting players skate up and along walls and perform other over-the-top moves.

As players rack up victories they’ll climb the ladder of a championship league to gain new stadiums, maps, and fans. Your Champion can be customized with unlockable items earned both in-game and through a season pass (dubbed a Roller Pass). A social hub fashioned as a skatepark allows friends and other players to meet up, practice, or indulge in mini-games.

Roller Champions supports cross-play and cross-progression between PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC through the Ubisoft Store. The game is also playable on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X/S via backward compatibility. Ubisoft also plans to bring Roller Champions to Switch, Stadia, and Amazon Luna at a later date.

4E6evmJ.gif

MiguelItUp

Yeah, definitely penciled in the diverse cast, but hey, whatever. A diverse cast doesn't quite equate wokeness. That being said, this is Ubisoft, and doesn't feel like it's coming from a real place and feels forced, lol. Also, yeah, this art, these graphics, it's that same Fortnite like style that we see time and time again. So over it.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
In fairness at least its not some open world game...

On the other hand it's essentially rocket league without the cars or skill required to dribble and shoot due to being a car.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Might be cool but I'm fairly worried this will have microtransactions up the wazoo.

How much is it anyway, is this a 30 bucks title?

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Might be cool but I'm fairly worried this will have microtransactions up the wazoo.

How much is it anyway, is this a 30 bucks title?

F2P it says in the article. I'm sure it's trying to sell you as much crap as possible, I just always ignore that. I'm probably the worst customer imaginable for a F2P title. LOL

SJRB

Gold Member
Lirik is playing this right now, the amount of microtransactions is insane.

Literally the first thing you see when booting the game is a lootbox. Of course, first one is on the house...

.Pennywise

Banned
Is it really too hard to get a proper senior character artist to at least supervise these kind of projects?

Isn't there just 1 (ONE) person in Ubisoft that says "eyy don't you think we should have other kind of characters to differentiate our game rather than the 'HELL YEAH DUDE!' dudebros that plague literally all these kind of games"?

DaGwaphics

Is it really too hard to get a proper senior character artist to at least supervise these kind of projects?

Isn't there just 1 (ONE) person in Ubisoft that says "eyy don't you think we should have other kind of characters to differentiate our game rather than the 'HELL YEAH DUDE!' dudebros that plague literally all these kind of games"?

Do the characters even speak in this? You'd think they'd have gone with a character creator that includes every option, they'd be able to sell you more outfits and useless junk.

Damn, it's been awhile since we heard anything about this game. It's F2P so I'll definitely be trying it out. It looks kinda fun the last time they showed it.

I played the tech test over a year ago. It's pretty fun. People should definitely give it a try. Takes a few to learn the controls, assuming they didn't drastically change since I played it.

SJRB

Gold Member
Anyone playing this on PS5?

I'm trying but it keeps crashing when I want to go to the skate park.

Also Ubi really needs to fuck off with those unskippable boot screens, starting this game takes ages.

Edit: lol another unskippable CG intro that takes forever. Ubi pls, my time on this earth is finite, I just want to play a videogame.

Edit 2: another two crashes. That's 6 crashes in 15 minutes.

iu

Last edited:

shoplifter

Played last night with no issues, got two matches in today before it started crashing so it's probably server side. Fun so far, very vaguely reminds me of Deathrow which isn't a bad thing.

Superkewl

Played last night with no issues, got two matches in today before it started crashing so it's probably server side. Fun so far, very vaguely reminds me of Deathrow which isn't a bad thing.

Might have to give it a shot. Deathrow was my favourite OG Xbox game

SJRB

Gold Member

They're having massive network issues on all platforms.

MaKTaiL

Anyone playing this on PS5?

I'm trying but it keeps crashing when I want to go to the skate park.

Also Ubi really needs to fuck off with those unskippable boot screens, starting this game takes ages.

Edit: lol another unskippable CG intro that takes forever. Ubi pls, my time on this earth is finite, I just want to play a videogame.

Edit 2: another two crashes. That's 6 crashes in 15 minutes.

iu
You PS5 might be dying.

shoplifter

Might have to give it a shot. Deathrow was my favourite OG Xbox game

Don't get me wrong, it's absolutely not the same game, but it is seemingly scratching that itch for a made up sports game with just a little violence. Not gonna lie though, I'd be super chuffed about a new Deathrow with online clubs and the like. It was in my top 5 OG Xbox games as well.

I just got another match in on a break, and it was pretty entertaining. I think this could go places with a little bit of arena variance and multiple game modes.

Last edited:

nikos

Just did the tutorial and played my first 3v3 online. Scored the only three goals in the game. It's actually really fun. Seemed like something I could play while listening to music and have a good time, but I can also see higher levels becoming really competitive and requiring comms.

Looking forward to playing more tonight and seeing where it goes.

SJRB

Gold Member
Did a couple of rounds, this game is neat. A lot of clever gameplay mechanics and they feel pretty fair.

You are 100% dependent on the quality of your team though, I got absolutely annihilated a few times.

Making the arena dependent on the amount of fans each player has was a mistake though, I'm already sick of seeing the Acapulco arena.

Larxia

I tried several times but I can't play at all. Until right now the tutorial wasn't even loading, now it's loading, but matches aren't, I get an error then stuck in infinite loading.

Also, what the hell is up with that chromatic aberration??
yWH8NlS.png

It's terrible and there doesn't seem to be a way to turn it off.

Top Bottom