• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UEFA Euro 2004...not bad

Alucard

Banned
Me and a few of my buddies gave this game a shot last weekend and enjoyed it quite a bit. It's not heavy on features or anything, but the gameplay alone is pretty well done. Setting up headers and bicycle kicks is nice, and I really like the precision passing button. There is nothing quite like threading a ball between two opposing players to send one of your men in on a breakaway.

Graphically, I can't really complain. The players look like the players, and the stadiums are gorgeous. The only real problem I have is when I'm playing in a stadium that's mostly covered in shadow...it's hard to get a read on where the ball is going if you kick it up and there's no shadow on the field to guide you.

The fantasy mode is good times and lets you create an all-star team of your choice. Practice mode is also nice since it lets you work on your shooting, passing, and crossing skills, not to mention those difficult corner kicks and free kicks.

This is really the first soccer game I've played since...Fifa '95? I like what I've played. What's out there that's better?

Socreges

Banned
Alucard said:
This is really the first soccer game I've played since...Fifa '95? I like what I've played. What's out there that's better?
B0000VJF5A.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

A unanimous favourite.

Unless you call yourself "shpankey".

shpankey

not an idiot
lol, exactly what am I being accused of? I really like PES3. I just point out a couple of flaws it has (no true analog control and a lack of power on the shots).

Socreges

Banned
shpankey said:
lol, exactly what am I being accused of? I really like PES3. I just point out a couple of flaws it has (no true analog control and a lack of power on the shots).
You've gone into the last two WE8/PES3 threads to complain and promote FIFA. Such ridiculousness impresses easily.

shpankey

not an idiot
You are seriously confused. I only pointed out a couple previews saying FIFA 05 was gonna rock in one thread (which in itself means nothing against PES), and then in the other thread I pointed out flaws in BOTH PES3 *and* FIFA 04. Then also stated implicitly PES3 was a great game that "rocked" and had graphics to die for, but that I found FIFA to be more fun.

You, took that as not "worshiping your favorite games every aspect because it's flawless" and therefore as a total negative. You are wrong on all counts.

I don't really care for people acting that way. But I find most gamers are exactly that way. They are "all or nothing". Either you must love it completely and %100 or they take it as an attack or some shit.

EDIT: Here are the two threads... go read them again...

http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=3807
http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=3645

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
i was pleasantly suprised by Fifa 2004, but i guess that was more to do with being appauled by the previous couple of efforts! ;)

Seriously, it's not that bad.

But IMO, WE8 crushes all before it. It's just FOOTBALL. I mean, you can play the game to death but you'll still see something happen that you've not seen before. Sublime stuff, but i agree that it does demand a certain amount of practice if you are playing on the harder levels.

Hmm... WE8 session for me tonight i think....

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
doh - getting ahead of myself - WE7 International :)

WE8 aint far away though.

shpankey

not an idiot
Well, I don't have that version... which I hear is improved over PES3 (which is the version I have). But I agree that PES3 is an awesome footie game. But at the same time I have a lot of fun with FIFA for some reason. Mostly because I prefer the true analog control in FIFA and the lack of power on the shots in PES3 leaves me with a bit of dissatisfaction. Those are my two major complaints with the PES3 game I have.

Also, I have PES3 on the PC. I hear the PS2 version of it is much better.

Socreges

Banned
shpankey said:
You are seriously confused. I only pointed out a couple previews saying FIFA 05 was gonna rock in one thread (which in itself means nothing against PES), and then in the other thread I pointed out flaws in BOTH PES3 *and* FIFA 04. Then also stated implicitly PES3 was a great game that "rocked" and had graphics to die for, but that I found FIFA to be more fun.

You, took that as not "worshiping your favorite games every aspect because it's flawless" and therefore as a total negative. You are wrong on all counts.

I don't really care for people acting that way. But I find most gamers are exactly that way. They are "all or nothing". Either you must love it completely and %100 or they take it as an attack or some shit.

EDIT: Here are the two threads... go read them again...

http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=3807
http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=3645
My God, man, you are so far gone.

I said:

A unanimous favourite.

Unless you call yourself shpankey.
TRUTH. You prefer FIFA and made that very well known. You are the exception.
You've gone into the last two WE8/PES3 threads to complain and promote FIFA. Such ridiculousness impresses easily.
Also truth.

I never said or even implied that you don't like PES3. I could have addressed each of your complaints, which would be justified, but I've chosen not to. Be glad.

Roll with the shots. Get off it. Move on.

You're a reasonable guy. Never meant for you to take things personally.
WE8 aint far away though.
August 6th. Counting the days. :)

shpankey

not an idiot
You are overstating saying "you made that very well known" when in fact, all I said was I had more fun with FIFA (after pointing out good and bad from both games). You make it sound like I was beating a FIFA drum or some shit, which wasn't the case. Also, I am not "glad" you didn't address my points. I am not afraid of anything you would say. If you wanted to rebutt what I said about PES3, I don't mind. Perhaps these things are exclusive to the PC version (?). Although the 8 way control (which was a point) you mentioned was the same.

I also did not "complain" in both threads. One thread, I just pointed out two previews of FIFA 05 that were glowing.

The other thread I gave a short list of things I liked and disliked about both PES3 and FIFA 04 on the PC. In the end saying both were really great and that I had a lot of fun with FIFA, it's flaws not irking me as much as PES3's. Though both games rocked.

Whatever though... I think letting it go is a good idea. But there was no "ridiculousness" which is what I took offense too. Maybe I read you wrong.

Socreges

Banned
You are overstating saying "you made that very well known" when in fact, all I said was I had more fun with FIFA (after pointing out good and bad from both games). You make it sound like I was beating a FIFA drum or some shit, which wasn't the case.
You've gone into the last two PES4 threads to promote FIFA. Do you not understand?

Maybe this might put things into perspective: I can easily picture the shit hitting the fan if Dekajelly, for instance, were to enter Halo 2 threads and tell everyone how Killzone does particular things better and how two websites say it will be the superior game (when, in fact, they said "may").
Also, I am not "glad" you didn't address my points. I am not afraid of anything you would say. If you wanted to rebutt what I said about PES3, I don't mind. Perhaps these things are exclusive to the PC version (?). Although the 8 way control (which was a point) you mentioned was the same.
No, by "be glad" I didn't mean "fear me", but "things could have gotten more conflicting".

One of your main points I've avoided because it can be pretty subjective. But I think it might just be specific to PES3 PC. The shots, at least in WE7IJ, are definitely fast and hard. I could show you a video to prove this.
Whatever though... I think letting it go is a good idea. But there was no "ridiculousness" which is what I took offense too. Maybe I read you wrong.
The ridiculousness is the very idea that FIFA is the superior game! More of a joke than anything. Just noting how you stuck out like a sore thumb amongst everyone beating off to WE8/PES4.

Yusaku

For the last three weeks I've been playing WE7 nonstop against a friend of mine. Easily the best 2 player sports game we've ever played. It's great because we keep evolving, no game ever feels the same.

Top Bottom