• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 154 |OT| Return of the King

Status
Not open for further replies.
untitled-1hmp3g.gif

Anyone else thought the whole "Silva cam" during the fight was tacky?

Seemed so WWE-ish.

NO. That's what MMA GAF is. It's what they've been trained to want. Not real martial arts. They want WWE. They want some fake ass callout. They want one dimensional fighters getting destroyed by opponents way out of their class.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I'm on the planet that isn't located up GSP's ass. Finishing fights means something. Going for finishes mean something. GSP's performance in those last two rounds was pitiful. He had no interest in trying to finish a beaten and broken Condit, who was flailing around, giving up his back and leaving himself open.

As a Canadian i endorse this message

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
As for GSP being allergic to risk, I think thats a bit harsh. T

He admitted just that in that welterweights roundtable interview last week.

NO. That's what MMA GAF is. It's what they've been trained to want. Not real martial arts. They want WWE. They want some fake ass callout. They want one dimensional fighters getting destroyed by opponents way out of their class.
Please generalize some more. Please!

MutFox

Banned
I'm on the planet that isn't located up GSP's ass. Finishing fights means something. Going for finishes mean something. GSP's performance in those last two rounds was pitiful. He had no interest in trying to finish a beaten and broken Condit, who was flailing around, giving up his back and leaving himself open.

Well when he's that much better at ground fighting, he can coast...

If you don't like ground fighting I recommend K-1

Daigoro

you are dumb if you think Carlos wasnt still dangerous to GSP in the last two rounds.

Hunter S.

Anyone else thought the whole "Silva cam" during the fight was tacky?

Seemed so WWE-ish.

They were showing how in awe he was. The best fighters, athletes, people are rare. Even Machida was seriously enjoying the talent of both men.

Oh, and it was annoying, but it shows Silva has much respect.

lol and you call other people salty. You been harboring this shit for a while, son?

Tabris

Do you enjoy watching the Klitschkos brother jab their opponents to death? I enjoy watching a ground game, when that ground game is used to try to finish someone. GSP doesn't do that. He'd rather sit in guard and grind out decisions because there is less risk in that.

I'm not a huge boxing fan so I can't comment on the Klitschkos brothers.

In terms of ground game, I thought it was amazing. GSP was continuously trying to mount to ground and pound to end the fight and Carlos Condit was doing an amazing job getting back into guard or holding him in half guard while both were striking to try to free up for their next move (as well as many arm bars and kimura attempts). Every move was calculated and they were constantly countering / defending each other. This may seem boring to you but it's fascinating to me. When 2 fighters are both applying an amazing high technical level to their ground game, it's going to be a constant game of attempts and counters / defends.

This was probably one of the best ground fights I've seen in a while in my opinion.

Can you deny it? That Silva-cam was embarrassing. But they know who they are marketing to.

Because "MMA-GAF" never insults or criticizes Dana White or the UFC. Yup, we are their target audience. You really know your stuff.

Most of us think Dana and the way he runs the UFC are a joke.

Mahzkrieg

Banned
Yeah, my big issue with GSP is that he takes no risks on the ground.
He's content to be in guard or half guard.

He had golden opportunities to mount and to take the back and he let them go.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
you are dumb if you think Carlos wasnt still dangerous to GSP in the last two rounds.

he wasn't a thread except for the moment where George made a mistake.

That isn't to say if george closed his eyes he wouldn't get Knocked the fuck out.

but as long as GSP was in the game Conduit wasn't a real threat..except for the fluke kick that gave him his "any given sunday" moment..and that wasn't enough

Mahzkrieg

Banned
It is sad that the only hope to beat GSP is a lucky shot.
Otherwise he's going to be more technical just about everywhere.

You have to give Carlos some credit for some excellent hip escapes.

I do, but GSP's better than that on the ground.
If this was Worlds he wouldn't have hesitated.

Besides those two fast knockouts is there anything else to judge Hendricks abilities by? I am not really familiar with him so I have no idea about his ground game or cardio or if that stuff has even been tested.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Besides those two fast knockouts is there anything else to judge Hendricks abilities by? I am not really familiar with him so I have no idea about his ground game or cardio or if that stuff has even been tested.

He was a D1 national champion wrestler at OK State.

Hunter S.

The fight was fine.

The fans that do not like the fight really do no understand fighting smart. You fight to win period and not to just impress the average Joe. This is the difference between UFC's continuous winners and those that look for a new job.

Instro

He can wrestle really well, but he's getting overrated thanks to the big KOs recently. I don't think he has any better shot of beating GSP than Kosheck did.

TheChits

He is Josh Koscheck with a big left hand instead of right. GSP would tool him

thats what i'm trying to say..Guys just at another level then most in the division

Pretty much the welter weight and light heavy weight divisions right now.

Weidman is a legitimate contender. And obviously we have no clue how Overeem would do against Dos Santos or if Cain can redeem his embarrassing loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom