• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ugh, why is it impossible to find a small TV/Monitor with decent specs for consoles? (ie HDMI forum VRR / 4K 120Hz)

I'm searching everywhere for a TV or monitor that is 32 inches or smaller (for a desk) for my PS5.

There are 4 requirements it MSUT have:

4K/120Hz minimum
HDMI Forum VRR (HDMI 2.1 VRR, not FreeSync/Gsync)
32 inches or smaller for use on a desk
IPS, VA or OLED panel only (no TN please)

I don't care about peak brightness or HDR.

The hardest part is just finding a display under 40 inches that has HDMI 2.1 spec VRR for when the PS5 eventually gets the VRR update. I have over $900 saved for a new display and there just doesn't seem to be anything that fits the bill. I found a bunch of monitors with HDMI 2.1, but they all say FreeSync Preminum/Gsync compatible (because they assume you are only using it for PC).

So then I turn to looking at small TVs, but they're all 60Hz with HDMI 2.0.

This is so frustrating.

R6Rider

Gold Member
There were a few decent 43" TV models a few years back, but it's rare now. I went with a 55", but would have preferred a 40" once for my setup.

Wait for the 42 Inch oleds or If you want a decent amount of choice go with an 48 Inch OLED.

I had the same problems wanted to find some decent 43 or 32 Inch monitor.

But they suck ass and are not worth the money.

Last edited:

old-parts

40" and below became the budget zone for TVs with 55" the new "standard" size for latest tech.

LG will have a 42" OLED later this year which I would suggest keeping your money for.

There are 32" monitors now on the market with 4K 120hz support.
or this 43" monitor

dave_d

I'm searching everywhere for a TV or monitor that is 32 inches or smaller (for a desk) for my PS5.

There are 4 requirements it MSUT have:

4K/120Hz minimum
HDMI Forum VRR (HDMI 2.1 VRR, not FreeSync/Gsync)
32 inches or smaller for use on a desk
IPS, VA or OLED panel only (no TN please)

I don't care about peak brightness or HDR.

The hardest part is just finding a display under 40 inches that has HDMI 2.1 spec VRR for when the PS5 eventually gets the VRR update. I have over $900 saved for a new display and there just doesn't seem to be anything that fits the bill. I found a bunch of monitors with HDMI 2.1, but they all say FreeSync Preminum/Gsync compatible (because they assume you are only using it for PC).

So then I turn to looking at small TVs, but they're all 60Hz with HDMI 2.0.

This is so frustrating.
What makes this worse is a lot of us PC users have been looking for monitors in that range and resolution and until recently there wasn't that much out there. (IE didn't support VRR, 60fps, etc) Of course now we're starting to see them and they're around $1000. (At that price you're almost better off going for a 48" oled)

dave_d

40" and below became the budget zone for TVs with 55" the new "standard" size for latest tech.

LG will have a 42" OLED later this year which I would suggest keeping your money for.

There are 32" monitors now on the market with 4K 120hz support.
or this 43" monitor
43" aren't all the 43" monitors "upside down"? I kind of remember a complaint that the pixel pattern is supposed to be RGB for windows and these ones are BGR so text looks a little funny. Supposedly the best way to fix it is to mount the monitor literally upside down (so it's now RGB) and then tell windows to invert the image. (I've never had one so I have no idea how noticeable it is.)

Notabueno

Banned
Because screen manufacturers are by far the most degenerate products maker in consumer technology.

They're the only ones not to apply decades old basic marketing and product design rules, likes say, not having a degenerately fragmented line-up of UEX322320_PS series of screen instead of some main product lines, having basic standards like UHD, HDR10+/sRGB, 75-120hz, VRR, Wifi5/blt5 etc...

Heck Samsung recently released one of the first TV/Monitor hybrid which should have been standard 10 years.

Hoddi

You could look into the LG 27GP950 which fits all your criterias. I have the 27GN950 which is the same monitor (except for HDMI 2.1 support) and it's pretty decent as far as PC monitors go.

It even supports HDR that's not entirely unusable.

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat. The 4k market for 32" decent monitors isnt there yet. I know Asus and Acer both had a model but they seem to be out of stock/stupidly expensive atm. Am waiting to upgrade from my Asus 27" ips 144hz gsync 1440p badboy. Basically want all of the above but 4k and 32" (i don't think 4k at 27" is going to be worth it).

You could look into the LG 27GP950 which fits all your criterias. I have the 27GN950 which is the same monitor (except for HDMI 2.1 support) and it's pretty decent as far as PC monitors go.

It even supports HDR that's not entirely unusable.
This one still only says gsync and Freesync

Hoddi

This one still only says gsync and Freesync
I admittedly can't confirm that it will work on PS5 since the system doesn't support VRR. But it does work on my Xbox Series S and reports it as such. The monitor has an OSD which reports the current refresh rate which goes up and down along with the framerate.

I can't really say much beyond that. But I'd be surprised if Sony were using a different standard than the Xbox.

Last edited:
I admittedly can't confirm that it will work on PS5 since the system doesn't support VRR. But it does work on my Xbox Series S and reports it as such. The monitor has an OSD which reports the current refresh rate which goes up and down along with the framerate.

I can't really say much beyond that. But I'd be surprised if Sony were using a different standard than the Xbox.
Come on, it’s Sony. They won’t support monitors. That’s just not how they roll. They also cant be bothered to support 1440p even though it would be super simple to implement.

dotnotbot

They will only support what's in the HDMI forum 2.1 standard. Don't count on Freesync.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Come on, it’s Sony. They won’t support monitors. That’s just not how they roll. They also cant be bothered to support 1440p even though it would be super simple to implement.
Dude plugs the Samsung I mentioned above into his PS5, 1080p though for 120Hz think that’s the PS5 though not the monitor as he does the same with his Series X

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
The Samsung Neo G8 has all the specs you want, plus a MiniLED backpanel for true HDR like the Neo G9. It's probably going to be expensive, though.

This might be my next monitor. The Neo G9 is a great monitor too, but although I really like my current 34" 21:9 monitor, I think the 32:9 aspect ratio of the Neo G9 is too much.
I wish Samsung had a 21:9 high-end "Neo" monitor.

Last edited:

Tarin02543

Closest thing to the unicorn you are describing is the LG32EP950:

• 32” UHD (3840 x 2160) OLED Display
• VESA DisplayHDR™400 True Black
• 1M : 1 Contrast Ratio

I'd say in a couple of years you will be able to get the gamer version of this, 144hz + hdmi 2.1 etc.

This is based on JOLED technology, there are already 144hz prototypes.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
meh i just game on a 32 4k VA curved monitor without VRR. I dont really care that much.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
You can wait for the 34" QD-Oled to be released, it's going to be the best you can buy in that size by far.

I thought I'd just found my new monitor then I see they didnt put HDMI 2.1 ports on the thing!

WHYYYYYYYYYY! What an absolute oversight. Gutting.

digital haze

Neo Member
The ASUS Rog Swift PG32UQ seems to tick most if not all of your boxes. Although the site doesn't mention it, I've found reviews that say it has VRR and ALLM for consoles.
The MSI MPG321UR-QD is supposedly based on the same panel and may have the same features while being cheaper. You might want to check that.

EekTheKat

It's so bizarre the best small TV is a monitor and the best big monitor is an OLED TV.

That being said, if this was more about the PS5 and their VRR implementation I'd wait until at least word of a VRR beta rolls out. The SSD beta painted a fairly clear picture of what to buy by the time the firmware shipped out, and I suspect the VRR beta will probably go the same way.

A word of warning - HDMI 2.1 as a selling point on the box is largely meaningless. You need to dig in and look carefully at the subset of features that you want and make sure that it's part of the display you're looking to buy. It's all marketing shenanigans at this point.

The word going around was HDMI 2.1 as a spec is largely meaningless as manufacturers are able to brand their sets or monitors as 2.1 so long as it uses a subset of features. This has resulted in a generation of monitors and hardware with really wonky support for features and people finding out things do not always work as expected with each other.

As a bonus - a lot of these things cannot be fixed with firmware upgrades either.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG
There are like hundreds of 1440p monitors that meet all the rest of the criteria. Do you just not want 1440p or is Sony still being ridiculously behind and not allowing 1440p output? If you're at 27 in or smaller, you really simply won't notice the difference between 1440p and 4k. 32 in and up you will though...keep in mind that consoles very very rarely output anything at native 4k anyway. Sorry if I'm offering things that don't fit your exact criteria but it might be worth considering these options since what you're asking for really does not exist right now :/

I use a 48 in LG OLED with my PC and it's incredible if it's in your price range.

daveonezero

Banned
There are like hundreds of 1440p monitors that meet all the rest of the criteria. Do you just not want 1440p or is Sony still being ridiculously behind and not allowing 1440p output? If you're at 27 in or smaller, you really simply won't notice the difference between 1440p and 4k. 32 in and up you will though...keep in mind that consoles very very rarely output anything at native 4k anyway. Sorry if I'm offering things that don't fit your exact criteria but it might be worth considering these options since what you're asking for really does not exist right now :/

I use a 48 in LG OLED with my PC and it's incredible if it's in your price range.
This. the one thing they don’t have is HDR and that is what I’d rather have instead of the high refresh rates.

Last edited:

Yerd

Apparently, if it has the G-sync module, it can't have HDMI 2.1. Until they make a new version of the g-sync board.

I can't go back from a 34" ultrawide now. My desk I think can fit that 38" with x1600 res. I'd like an updated version of that.

NickFire

The LG Nanocell line has the bells and whistles OP. It isn't an OLED like all the cool cats on here seem to rock, but it has suited my PS5 just fine and plays COD in 120.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
It doesn't have everything what you're looking for, but I settled for this recently for my PC:

I'd have rather found an OLED with the same specs, but literally every option I found in this size that was OLED was out of stock everywhere, or refurbished. And I ain't fucking with anything refurbished unless they slash half the price off, and with the chip shortage, sellers know they can just knock a few hundred bucks off and people will bite.

Quantum253

Just buy the new 42" LG C2 / Sony A90K OLED TVs.
I've been looking for the same thing in a monitor and haven't found anything I wanted to jump to buy. I think the 42" OLED is a great option and only waiting for price and release date (finger's crossed for sub $1,000 price range).

kyliethicc

I've been looking for the same thing in a monitor and haven't found anything I wanted to jump to buy. I think the 42" OLED is a great option and only waiting for price and release date (finger's crossed for sub $1,000 price range).
Nah it'll be $1000 or higher.

That particular monitor uses gsync through freesync. It doesn't have the g-sync module/board/hardware. That's why it has HDMI 2.1.
There's a QX version of that monitor that does. That monitor has MSRP of somewhere near $3000 I think.
So can it do hdmi forum VRR?

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I looked all last year. Ended up with a 48” OLED and a bigger desk.
Exact same for me (except I got a floor stand instead of a bigger desk).

It was my last resort after being totally frustrated and disappointed at the lack of high end 32-43” displays. Although TBH now that I’m used to the size I don’t want to go back.

Top Bottom