• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ugh, why is it impossible to find a small TV/Monitor with decent specs for consoles? (ie HDMI forum VRR / 4K 120Hz)

Yerd

So can it do hdmi forum VRR?
Find that TFT central review that was posted above. That site is more thorough than you could ever want. If there is any info about it. It's in their review.

I don't know how the VRR works with their non-hardware solution. I know it's not as robust. Look up "g-sync compatible" and that might tell you. It uses the VESA standard which I know nothing about.

Exact same for me (except I got a floor stand instead of a bigger desk).

It was my last resort after being totally frustrated and disappointed at the lack of high end 32-43” displays. Although TBH now that I’m used to the size I don’t want to go back.
Same, I am used to the 48"size and happy with it. I rarely use the full screen for productivity. I use Fanzy Zones which is an app built into powertoys for windows and it works very well for me. I typically use it like this guy.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Finally broke down and bought the 48 inch LG C1

Looks insane!! I’m already used to the size.
Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

Finally broke down and bought the 48 inch LG C1

Looks insane!! I’m already used to the size.
Aaaaaaaand, it's gone. I can't do TVs. I'm a monitor guy through and through. Also, I didn't wanna have to worry about varying the content to prevent burn in and remembering to close the blinds so the sun doesn't hit it. There's too much maintenance for OLED screens. It totally ruined my experience with it. Plus, the screen is way too reflective. I don't wanna see my sad face every time the screen goes black.

Dr.brain64

I played my ps5 on 27" 4k monitor. While the picture is great, I feel like ps5 games look even better on a proper tv.
I do however think switch is best on a monitor.

Yeah, so I bought an PS5. I game on my old 22-24" fullhd 60Hz monitor- picture is pretty good with supersampling but I started to look for a new monitor or TV to take full advantage of PS5 but everything is soo... Big.

I was thinking about 42" C2 but I don't have the space for it at all.

So I started to look for a monitor, and made a small list:

- Sony INZONE M9 - 27", 4k, 144Hz, 1ms, Full Array Local Dimming, HDR, VRR, ALLM "Perfect for PS5"
Seems like a first decent monitor for consoles - works with Xbox Series X too. HDR has only 600 nits, so keep that in mind. Dunno if screen is regular LED or something else.

- Samsung Neo G7 - 32" curved monitor, 4k, 165Hz, 1ms, Full Array Local Dimming, HDR, VRR.
Mini-Led/qled - blacks are almost as deep as oled. HDR has 1000 nits, its in range with TVs. I have not found info about ALLM thou.

- Samsung Neo G8 - 32" curved monitor, 4k, 240Hz, 1ms, Full Array Local Dimming, HDR, VRR.
Same thing as G7, only more gamey look (two color look) and more Hz in case someone is using it with PC. A bit better darks apparently and 50+ nits more brightness than G7. But it could be due to poor Samsung QA with G7 and G8 - might wait a bit till they sort this one out. Lots of people writing about it.

All have those monitors have matte or semi-matte coatings. So no glare/gloss finish.

Dunno, how I feel about playing on a curved monitor. But I will keep those monitors in the back of my mind, maybe it will drive the competition in this segment more fiercely by the end of 2022 or in the beginning of 2023 - seems like more companies may use MiniLed/ qled for gaming monitors.

The only downside for me is... The price. they seem as pricey as 42" C2 and I also saw 48" C1 for around $790 / 750 euro in Poland- would grab it... but I have zero space for this beast... I would have to redo the room yet again, since I won't fit it at all... Dunno how I would feel by using it as a desk monitor since even if I redo some stuff in the room it would still be used as a desk monitor. It seems enormous.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
With 1440p support coming that will make buying a monitor easier for ps5.
Yeah, that's what I've been thinking- since most games on PS5 are rendered at 1440p anyways and checkerboarded to 4k - and I saw that beta stuff, still no VRR on 1440p makes it a bummer, maybe it will be in final build.

But HDR on monitors is a mess. Low-tier monitors have only 400 nits, nowhere near a decent TV- but maybe stuff will change. 600 nits is a bare minimum to properly use HDR and 1000 nits occurs extremely rare on gaming monitors and only a few of those have HDMI 2.1 features, even if you find one it may be still on HDMI 2.0. The only one I found is the Samsung Neo G7 and Neo G8- and it still does not mention ALLM.

Might wait a bit still and see what will go on in gaming monitor space in a bit. Fingers crossed for qled stuff to blow up with HDMI 2.1 features and 1000 nits HDR- no burn-in risk, deeper black etc.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

Edit: sorry it’s just HDMI 2.1
This is the monitor I have. It has 2 HDMI 2.1 and a DP port (cable included). Has worked a treat for me for having my 3090 PC and 2 next gen consoles.

I dual monitor out with that and my LGCX and it's glorious as I have the CX wall mounted right next to me and can transition between displays with no issue. One thing I really like is how it goes from the 120hz to 144hz with no issues.

This is the monitor I have. It has 2 HDMI 2.1 and a DP port (cable included). Has worked a treat for me for having my 3090 PC and 2 next gen consoles.

I dual monitor out with that and my LGCX and it's glorious as I have the CX wall mounted right next to me and can transition between displays with no issue. One thing I really like is how it goes from the 120hz to 144hz with no issues.
Yeah, I've read about it. Its on my list if you scroll a bit up.

I'm curious, is curve bothersome? Or do you not notice it at all?

Huh, so G7 has no issues, G8 has some issues - but for a console G7 will suffice. No need for 244Hz.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch

Huh, so G7 has no issues, G8 has some issues - but for a console G7 will suffice. No need for 244Hz.
Be aware that the curve on those Samsung monitors is aggressive as fuck. It's not a gentle curve by any means.

Filben

Any thoughts?
I've been watching and testing (for personal use) monitors for years now and your selection seems good and you can't go wrong with any of them in terms of features and image quality.

However, a few things to consider.

Most VA panels have pretty bad viewing angles and most people will neglect that fact because they think sitting in front of it doesn't apply any negatives from that. From my experience the viewing angles are so bad you see a shift in tone, colour and brightness already at the edges of the screen, especially when siiting close and/or having a big display size. I always had the feeling not having the intended and proper colours and brightness at the edges and it really annoys me, especially when you own an OLED TV where none of this applies.

The Neo G7 has amazing console compatibility however and has a great set of gaming features. Still, being a VA panel makes it not being wanted on my list.

The G8 has some flicker issues with low FPS according to rtings.com

The Sony is an IPS display that has pretty good viewing angles so you won't see any considerable shift in tone, colour and brightness at the edges. It's not as perfect as OLED, but good enough to be not distracted at all when sitting front center. However, this particular model has a 130% sRBG colour gamut so certain colour tones will look oversaturated and not natural. Some might prefer this vibrant look, as Samsungs (phone) displays constantly show that's just bursting with unnatural and oversaturated colours. Again, this comes down to preference but is worth to keep in mind. Also, black level homogeneity is pretty bad on an IPS display but should only be distracting when playing in a dark environment and with lots of dark content in a given scene (usually loading screens, horror games). This varries heavily from panel to panel and also from your ambient light and monitor brightness. The local dimming feature will mitigate the bad black uniformity to some degree, though.

A general thought about brightness: this is mostly relevant in a bright environment. If you prefer dark room gaming or with dimmed ambient lighting, maximum brightness is nothing to be concerned about because you'll burn your eyes away before you reach any high brightness settings. As soon as it gets brighter, you want a brighter display, too, though.

Every other option than OLED consists of a compromise and even OLED has one thing to consider: brightness. (see above, but e.g. my living room has two giant windows and even my window blinds doesn't make it dark enough during the day so I actually avoid gaming on my OLED then, which is a shame, but too much reflections and too dark image). It's perfect for autumn and winter though.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

The one I have doesn't have the curved. I opted against that. I chose the G7 over the G8 for certain reasons. Also agree on the no need for 244hz. It just throws the HW requirements through the roof.

Last edited:
G7 doesn't have a curve. Neo G7 does.

I would wait till next year to acquire a new monitor if I were you.

32", 4K, 1196-zone FALD, VESA HDR1400 mini-LED IPS (y)
I'm not in a rush- since I get pretty good image from my current monitor, all things considered. Supersampling does the job done, I guess. But HDR and VRR, I would love to have those and 32" is a max for me, I think. And I would like to switch to at least 1440p or 4k screen. I will take your advice, I think. Inzone seems overpriced after seeing the Neo G7 pricing and 1000 nits HDR.
Be aware that the curve on those Samsung monitors is aggressive as fuck. It's not a gentle curve by any means.
That's what I've been worried about. Thanks for clearing that up- so I just got to wait for monitor companies to get competitive again. I hope Neo G7 and Inzone will make some ripples in this market.

The one I have doesn't have the curved. I opted against that. I chose the G7 over the G8 for certain reasons. Also agree on the no need for 244hz. It just throws the HW requirements through the roof.
Uh, so you have G7, not Neo G7 - this naming is confusing.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Yeah, so I bought an PS5. I game on my old 22-24" fullhd 60Hz monitor- picture is pretty good with supersampling but I started to look for a new monitor or TV to take full advantage of PS5 but everything is soo... Big.

I was thinking about 42" C2 but I don't have the space for it at all.

So I started to look for a monitor, and made a small list:

- Sony INZONE M9 - 27", 4k, 144Hz, 1ms, Full Array Local Dimming, HDR, VRR, ALLM "Perfect for PS5"
Seems like a first decent monitor for consoles - works with Xbox Series X too. HDR has only 600 nits, so keep that in mind. Dunno if screen is regular LED or something else.

- Samsung Neo G7 - 32" curved monitor, 4k, 165Hz, 1ms, Full Array Local Dimming, HDR, VRR.
Mini-Led/qled - blacks are almost as deep as oled. HDR has 1000 nits, its in range with TVs. I have not found info about ALLM thou.

- Samsung Neo G8 - 32" curved monitor, 4k, 240Hz, 1ms, Full Array Local Dimming, HDR, VRR.
Same thing as G7, only more gamey look (two color look) and more Hz in case someone is using it with PC. A bit better darks apparently and 50+ nits more brightness than G7. But it could be due to poor Samsung QA with G7 and G8 - might wait a bit till they sort this one out. Lots of people writing about it.

All have those monitors have matte or semi-matte coatings. So no glare/gloss finish.

Dunno, how I feel about playing on a curved monitor. But I will keep those monitors in the back of my mind, maybe it will drive the competition in this segment more fiercely by the end of 2022 or in the beginning of 2023 - seems like more companies may use MiniLed/ qled for gaming monitors.

The only downside for me is... The price. they seem as pricey as 42" C2 and I also saw 48" C1 for around $790 / 750 euro in Poland- would grab it... but I have zero space for this beast... I would have to redo the room yet again, since I won't fit it at all... Dunno how I would feel by using it as a desk monitor since even if I redo some stuff in the room it would still be used as a desk monitor. It seems enormous.

Any thoughts?
I am quite happy with the LG 27GP950 for consoles

Its an IPS panel thats not flawless but also has been on sale recently as low as $500 and having a 4k 144hz HDMI 2.1 display that works nicely with PS5s VRR is pretty decent imo

Rtings still has it as the best 27" panel for the PS5 currently.

Yes there are better displays out there but when this one is on sale its hard to beat

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/27gp950-b#page-test-results

I am quite happy with the LG 27GP950 for consoles

Its an IPS panel thats not flawless but also has been on sale recently as low as $500 and having a 4k 144hz HDMI 2.1 display that works nicely with PS5s VRR is pretty decent imo

Rtings still has it as the best 27" panel for the PS5 currently.

Yes there are better displays out there but when this one is on sale its hard to beat

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/27gp950-b#page-test-results
Hmm, I will wait a bit maybe there will be some new model and reasonably priced too. Local dimming has low ratings and contrast too. I know it's not high end monitor. But still it's pretty pricey for it to have low ratings in those. But I understand now that making a smaller panel may be pricer than big panel.

I never knew that monitor market is behind TVs, I always was under impression that $400 to $700 monitors would be really good. But I gamed on my PS4 Pro the entire generation and didn't bother to look into a new monitor or TV.

My brother is under those impressions right now and he doesn't think I should get a pricey one- that I should get something in $220 to $330 price range. He doesn't understand that some of them doesn't have proper HDMI 2.1 features or just have a low quality panel or local dimming, even if they have those features or that if they have good panel and local dimming they still may be on HDMI 2.0.

He asks me if I really need those features, well that's why I look into it... To take advantage fully out of PS5.

For now I will stay on my old monitor - since I can't figure this one out right now.

I've been watching and testing (for personal use) monitors for years now and your selection seems good and you can't go wrong with any of them in terms of features and image quality.

However, a few things to consider.

Most VA panels have pretty bad viewing angles and most people will neglect that fact because they think sitting in front of it doesn't apply any negatives from that. From my experience the viewing angles are so bad you see a shift in tone, colour and brightness already at the edges of the screen, especially when siiting close and/or having a big display size. I always had the feeling not having the intended and proper colours and brightness at the edges and it really annoys me, especially when you own an OLED TV where none of this applies.

The Neo G7 has amazing console compatibility however and has a great set of gaming features. Still, being a VA panel makes it not being wanted on my list.

The G8 has some flicker issues with low FPS according to rtings.com

The Sony is an IPS display that has pretty good viewing angles so you won't see any considerable shift in tone, colour and brightness at the edges. It's not as perfect as OLED, but good enough to be not distracted at all when sitting front center. However, this particular model has a 130% sRBG colour gamut so certain colour tones will look oversaturated and not natural. Some might prefer this vibrant look, as Samsungs (phone) displays constantly show that's just bursting with unnatural and oversaturated colours. Again, this comes down to preference but is worth to keep in mind. Also, black level homogeneity is pretty bad on an IPS display but should only be distracting when playing in a dark environment and with lots of dark content in a given scene (usually loading screens, horror games). This varries heavily from panel to panel and also from your ambient light and monitor brightness. The local dimming feature will mitigate the bad black uniformity to some degree, though.

A general thought about brightness: this is mostly relevant in a bright environment. If you prefer dark room gaming or with dimmed ambient lighting, maximum brightness is nothing to be concerned about because you'll burn your eyes away before you reach any high brightness settings. As soon as it gets brighter, you want a brighter display, too, though.

Every other option than OLED consists of a compromise and even OLED has one thing to consider: brightness. (see above, but e.g. my living room has two giant windows and even my window blinds doesn't make it dark enough during the day so I actually avoid gaming on my OLED then, which is a shame, but too much reflections and too dark image). It's perfect for autumn and winter though.

Yeah, maybe I dig into it too much too, maybe 600 nits HDR does the job done on such a small screen like 27" - I personally like to game at night but sometimes I also play during the day. But I still would like to have at least 120hz, 1440p/4k, HDR, VRR and properly working local dimming, be it VA or IPS.

I never really considered viewing angles. Is qled really bad? Hmm, I too thought non of those would apply if I were to sit upfront. Now I'm hella confused.

Dust-by-Monday Dust-by-Monday was correct with his thread title.. 👏

It's like really hard right now to choose anything at all.

I decided to wait a bit since I wasn't really keen on curved monitor, tbh.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
There is always the 32gq950. It's 4k 32inch vrr with hdr 1000. There are a few good reviews on it.

It even has a special coating that minimizes ips glow. It's edge-lit though.

Filben

I never really considered viewing angles. Is qled really bad? Hmm, I too thought non of those would apply if I were to sit upfront. Now I'm hella confused.
Maybe I'm overly sensible to it, but you can test it yourself if own a VA display such as a TV or monitor: sit front centre of it and watch the edges. Now scoot over or move your head so the edges are in centre of your view. Depending on your sensibility and/or the viewing angles of your display you should notice a shift in the image and seeing it so it's how it supposed to look instead of watching it at an angle.

If you don't own any VA display, you can simulate it this way: go to rtings.com and check for your desired monitor, let's say the Neo G7. Scroll down all the way to 'viewing angles' where they have videos of them. Before watching, calculate your viewing angle via trigonometry. I'm sitting 73cm away from my display, the diagonal to the edge is 88cm. So arccos of 73cm/88cm gives me 34°, meaning I'm looking with an angle of 34° at the edges. You can now play the video I've mentioned before and stop the video at your given/calculated angle and see how the shift at the edges turns out.

For me, it would look like this, where I marked the area I'm sensible to and do mind shift in colour and brightness:
gFKyWTM.jpg

hqVIw2r.jpg
Keep in mind that this only applies to the edges of course and not the centre of screen (roughly marked with the red square), so some people might think I'm nuts to worry over such a thing, but as I said, coming from an OLED where the picture is uniformity perfect on every inch no matter where I sit (except for extreme angles), slight changes are really noticeable to me. Also keep in mind that rtings only use that one example picture and it might be more or less noticeable in other scenarios.

If you're not sensible to this effect you can't go wrong with any of these monitors and I'd go for relevant features, price and availability.

Last edited:
Just get a 48" oled. Even a last gen one will be better than almost every other monitor.

Desk is small? Just hang the damn thing on the wall. Free desk space.

Just get a 48" oled. Even a last gen one will be better than almost every other monitor.

Desk is small? Just hang the damn thing on the wall. Free desk space.
Not the desk, space.. I guess
gpox8iq.jpg
slYH9rm.jpg

I intend to buy another set of legs for my desk and throw out the cabinet thingie under the desk, should have proper space for PS5 then.

I should throw out the large cabinet on the left behind my r2r and do something for my audio... So my amps and cassette deck won't rest on my desk maybe some audio rack- fit in amps, cassette deck, r2r, turntable then move the shelfs and only then I can fit in the c1 or c2... lots of work tbh :messenger_dizzy:.

Whole room renovation. And then I can't even imagine how far I should sit... from it... :messenger_grinning_sweat: . Maybe some armchair on the center of the room, I guess.

I will think about it :messenger_ok:.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Not the desk, space.. I guess
gpox8iq.jpg
slYH9rm.jpg

I intend to buy another set of legs for my desk and throw out the cabinet thingie under the desk, should have proper space for PS5 then.

I should throw out the large cabinet on the left behind my r2r and do something for my audio... So my amps and cassette deck won't rest on my desk maybe some audio rack- fit in amps, cassette deck, r2r, turntable then move the shelfs and only then I can fit in the c1 or c2... lots of work tbh :messenger_dizzy:.

Whole room renovation. And then I can't even imagine how far I should sit... from it... :messenger_grinning_sweat: . Maybe some armchair on the center of the room, I guess.

I will think about it :messenger_ok:.
The 42 inch OLED would be a better choice. Even if it's more expensive now it'll come down in price shortly.

Top Bottom