• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Boxed Charts: Sniper Elite 5 debuts at No.1; Horizon Forgotten West #2; Gran Turismo 7 up 109% to #5

Did you ignore the initial 6 month gap?

If PC had day1, it wouldn't have sold that much for the dlc. It would have sold better.

Dlc sales are very strong for day1 people, compared to late buyers.

Plus the game sales performed much better outside of japan, which is crazy considering the 6 month gap.

Unless that info isn't important to you.
That's just your unsustained narrative, where is the proof for that? I'm pretty sure a 6 month gap cannot explain a 1 to 16 difference
And the game didn't really performe that much better outside Japan , the difference is less then 200000 copies. And this is only due to the other Asian territory, where the game has sold 1 million copies more on PC then console. But this discussion is ridicolous because you can compare global sales and habits, or a Country sales and habits, but it make no sense to discuss global sales 'except for'

kingfey

Banned
That's just your unsustained narrative, where is the proof for that? I'm pretty sure a 6 month gap cannot explain a 1 to 16 difference
The first 6 month is when the game has all the hype and marketing. After that, its dry sales, which gets boosted by discount sales.

Unless again, you don't consider those first important for games.

Steam lost those 6 months, which was important for increasing the hype for the game. Despite that, it sold 5.6m.

Like I stated in the previous post, the DLC is tied to first buyer. There is also the bundle, which doesn't go towards dlc only sales. Those dlc could have gone to pc a full package.
This is something we have no data though, So I can jump in to conclusions. But that is the only explanation, since PC sold 5m+, which means the dlc would come with the game.

And the game didn't really performe that much better outside Japan , the difference is less then 200000 copies.

😑
Are you saying a console, which had a 6 month start, with day1 hype didn't get beaten up by steam? That 200k is a big margin, when you consider the huge jump start, which PS had.

. And this is only due to the other Asian territory, where the game has sold 1 million copies more on PC then console.
Something could be said about Japan. Let's stop with excuses now.

But this discussion is ridicolous because you can compare global sales and habits, or a Country sales and habits, but it make no sense to discuss global sales 'except for'
I am sorry, but Japan isn't the world. This is a Japanese game, where the audience would be higher on Japan. Not being day1 on pc would skew the data for PS, since again, the game is a Japanese game.

If the game was released day1 on steam, it would have sold more than 500k on Japan. Whether it outsold PS or not, that we have no idea. But day1 would have given the system a fighting chance.

Those 6 months only served as a boost for PS, and steam lost the sales for those days.

The sales right now, could favor steam with huge numbers, if Capcom releases the data. Since Steam surpassed PS from global standpoint, when it was 6 months behind, 2 years ago.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Gaf: "physical charts are irrelevant"
Also gaf: *more than 7 pages of posts on the subject*
That is a baby numbers.

But honestly, physical sales at this point is becoming blockbuster.

Your recent post about Sony conference had estimation of 80% of their users going digital by 2025+.

That is a baby numbers.

But honestly, physical sales at this point is becoming blockbuster.

Your recent post about Sony conference had estimation of 80% of their users going digital by 2025+.
That's taking into consideration all revenue. Digital microtransations and stuff like that are included if i remember correctly.
But yes, physical is dying. That's not news.

Hmmmm.....seems like a real corporate manipulation stat to me then. Because that sentence\stat alone doesn't actually say much. It's a "par for the course" stat. It'll be like saying "First adopters of new-gen hardware spend more money on games".

Like yeah.....so what? lol
I wouldn't say it's manipulative. It's just not very informative.

kingfey

Banned
That's taking into consideration all revenue. Digital microtransations and stuff like that are included if i remember correctly.
But yes, physical is dying. That's not news.
Correct. These stuff, plus buying the game from your couch increases your digital buying habits.

BeardGawd

Banned
Why are people so adamant about bundles now anyway? I’ve never seen this much scrutiny about console bundles. Does it even matter?

You know what nevermind....it’s pretty obvious why. lmao.
Bundled sales have always been a thing. Even wayback with Super Mario being bundled. A forced sale from a bundle should obviously be taken into account when comparing sales to other games.

This is being pointed out more since we are still in the sold out console phase. These people don't have a choice if they want the system.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member

Great news! Bundles are fine now
Happy Atlanta Braves GIF by Jomboy Media

Hopefully Jim Ryan fires back with PS branded clothing with every purchase

anthony2690

Banned

Get in lads

lindsey graham world GIF

That's pretty impressive, 28% sales on Xbox, despite being on game pass, I personally wouldn't pay £60 for the game.

I enjoyed it on game pass, the game grew on me, as I was quite iffy about it at first, I also ended up buying the Hitler dlc, so rebellion ended up getting a bit of money from me, where as before they would of got nothing :p
4fFC2cG.png

Last edited:
That's pretty impressive, 28% sales on Xbox, despite being on game pass, I personally wouldn't pay £60 for the game.

I enjoyed it on game pass, the game grew on me, as I was quite iffy about it at first, I also ended up buying the Hitler dlc, so rebellion ended up getting a lot bit of money from me, where as before they would of got nothing :p
4fFC2cG.png
Small but important correction, 28% of physical sales. Digital sales are likely considerably higher since Xbox audience skews digital. So yeah this was a great deal for the devs.

Swift_Star

Banned
It's an article published more then 2 years after the game has been published on Steam, so, please, look for a better excuse for selling 1/16 of the DLC. Between, Iceborne was published only 3 months later on PC and, with 1 year of sales, it sold half of what it sold on PS
Catching up on this right now, that’s why I didn’t bother continuing the discussion. I was right, he wasn’t and was going to spin round and round but never really able to provide hard proof as he usually does.

I would still say 28% isn't impressive. This isn't a place where PS is WAY above Xbox in HW sales. They're pretty damn close. So, 72% on PS platforms. Quite the disparity.

reksveks

I would still say 28% isn't impressive. This isn't a place where PS is WAY above Xbox in HW sales. They're pretty damn close. So, 72% on PS platforms. Quite the disparity.

Deja Vu strikes again

Physical vs Digital might make a difference especially give the Series S sales numbers.

Again the console split difference for previous gen was about 1.4:1, i think it has only slightly closed in the current gen.

Top Bottom