• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Charts: Resident Evil 4 Remake launch 29% bigger than the GameCube original

I see a lot of shade being thrown at the Gamecube, but back in the day RE4 releasing on GC was seen as a big deal "get" for Nintendo and the platform.

That the PS2 would significantly outsell the Gamecube to the point where Nintendo would forgo HD competition had yet to be seen.

The decision to release exclusively on Gamecube despite the fanbase being entrenched on PlayStation was a jarring one that rocked the initial sales of the game. This could also be seen when Capcom released RE0 on Gamecube as well as Code Veronica on Dreamcast.

The franchise was never a kingmaker.

This is what I don't understand. How is Sony unfairly hurting Xbox when here is a Japanese title that releases on both systems and gamers themselves chose PS.......... Correct me if I am wrong, but Sony didn't even have marketing rights.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'll bite: people also buy digital on PlayStation & there is a digital only PS5 .

When digital is added it don't really change by much at best it will go from 86:14 to 70:30

We've seen from high selling UK games like Elden Ring and Lego Star Wars that the gap can drop to as low as 5 to 12 % after combining both physical and digital. The same game(s) on Xbox tend to sell overwhelmingly more digitally than physically, hence the gap always ends up having a huge drop when combining both.

The posters shit-posting about it know that as well, but I guess it's more fun to do it anyway. 🤷‍♂️

See the post above mine as yet another example.

---

Similarly, posters whinging about 29% not being a big enough increase are also ignoring that a majority of game sales are skewing digital now, while 100% of gamecube sales were physical.

29% increase in physical only is probably a more than triple or quadruple that when both physical and digital will be factored in.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
That's actually kind of pathetic.

Big budget remake, releasing on five different platforms across two generations - PS4 being one of the the most successful consoles ever in the UK - can only sell 29% more than an exclusive game that only released on GameCube (a system often considered a flop).
If you double the sales to account for digital then it should be around 160% better. Add in PC sales and it should’ve done 3x better.

We will find out at the end of the month when they get the digital data.

onQ123

We've seen from high selling UK games like Elden Ring and Lego Star Wars that the gap can drop to as low as 5 to 12 % after combining both physical and digital. The same game(s) on Xbox tend to sell overwhelmingly more digitally than physically, hence the gap always ends up having a huge drop when combining both.

The posters shit-posting about it know that as well, but I guess it's more fun to do it anyway. 🤷‍♂️

See the post above mine as yet another example.

---

Similarly, posters whinging about 29% not being a big enough increase are also ignoring that a majority of game sales are skewing digital now, while 100% of gamecube sales were physical.

29% increase in physical only is probably a more than triple or quadruple that when both physical and digital will be factored in.
Coming into threads about physical sales complaining about people comparing the physical sales is even worse than what you're complaining about 😂

Last edited:

Rykan

Wait, its down on resi 8 village and resi 2 remake?

Is no one buying games, how can this classic be selling less than those or am I reading SlimySnake SlimySnake Post wrong?
Resident Evil 8 was released on more platforms.

More and more people buy digital as well, especially considering that 2 out of the 4 available platforms (I'm counting them separate for the sake of this argument) are digital only. It selling a bit less than RE8 isn't very surprising. I can also imagine that the game is facing heavy competition from Hogwarts Legacy still, which is probably especially popular in the UK market.

With all of that said, there might be a case of a little bit of over saturation as Capcom have released quite a few RE titles the past few years. But we'd need more sales data to say anything conclusive about that.

Last edited:

reksveks

I'll bite: people also buy digital on PlayStation & there is a digital only PS5 .

When digital is added it don't really change by much at best it will go from 86:14 to 70:30

From IBF for comparison

RE4 split was 73% PS5 / 14% XBS / 13% PS4

Xbox share got lower compared to Village, which was 49% PS5 / 31% PS4 / 20% XBS. Possibly due to the lack of a XB1 version.

However with digital included the split was 43% PS5 / 31% on XB / 15% PS4 / 11% PC.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The game was so awesome on GC that I didn’t have a single thought about how well it sold. I just kept buying it again and again and again.

Moses85

I see the "only physical sales count" disinformation gang is at it again.
You are right, But even more play it on Xbox via GamePass

But…

Confused The Interview GIF

Montage Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:

adamsapple

Coming into threads about physical sales complaining about people comparing the physical sales is even worse than what you're complaining about 😂

No, but the change in tone of your post tells me that my points resonated hard, I'll accept that (y)

From IBF for comparison

edit: Those are Village numbers. I misread them for RE4 numbers with digital added.

You are right, even more play it on GamePass

I don't even understand this post, this game isn't even on Game Pass.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
What about digital sales?

That's actually kind of pathetic.

Big budget remake, releasing on five different platforms across two generations - PS4 being one of the the most successful consoles ever in the UK - can only sell 29% more than an exclusive game that only released on GameCube (a system often considered a flop).
Like others have said, digital will have boosted it massively.

Going to 70: 30 with all playstation against series is actually pretty damn amazing.
Resident Evil 8 was released on more platforms.

More and more people buy digital as well, especially considering that 2 out of the 4 available platforms (I'm counting them separate for the sake of this argument) are digital only. It selling a bit less than RE8 isn't very surprising. I can also imagine that the game is facing heavy competition from Hogwarts Legacy still, which is probably especially popular in the UK market.

With all of that said, there might be a case of a little bit of over saturation as Capcom have released quite a few RE titles the past few years. But we'd need more sales data to say anything conclusive about that.

Yeah I think digital will boost it a lot to be honest. I don't know why I thought it would be a massive hit. Like double gamecube easily, maybe more but I'm sure it's been a large success.

Games awesome, deserves all the sales.

Mung

That ratio in one of the only two major territories that xbox is successful.

Last edited:

yazenov

From IBF for comparison

So the PS version sales for RE8 in the UK were almost 2x the Xbox version.

Now for the RE4 Remake, without the Xbox one version, the split will be even worse for the Xbox.

And this is in the UK which is MS's biggest market outside the US. The accumulative splits for Europe won't look pretty for MS.

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
Erm... did we already forget...

[/URL]

Impressive numbers when you think about how low the physical sale split is these days.
Thats all software not new releases, and includes pc, which is 100% digital new console releases tend to launch around d 50 50 digital to physical at launch, skew more towards physical until stock dries up then digital grows as games are available digitally until they get delisted

nush

Gold Member
Only 29% bigger in the UK. Let me tell you I brought it day one in the UK and there were fuck all copies available because it was a late release and Gamecube. In fact it was so hard to get that used copies were worth more than new ones ( You couldn't find). So much so that I sold my copy when I'd finished it and just waited around to find a cheap used copy, which I did in the end.

onQ123

From IBF for comparison
That ignores the fact that PS4 percentage is the part that went down a lot when digital was added & that this time around PS5 is even bigger with a small part being PS4 so when digital is added things will not change as much.

reksveks

That ignores the fact that PS4 percentage is the part that went down a lot when digital was added & that this time around PS5 is even bigger with a small part being PS4 so when digital is added things will not change as much.
Just stating what the old numbers were.

Anything else is speculative. I don't expect it to follow the same pattern as Village for the reason that you says, more series s and ps5 being bigger.

onQ123

No, but the change in tone of your post tells me that my points resonated hard, I'll accept that (y)

There we go, thanks for the accurate numbers reks.

Similar to Elden Ring, a 12% difference between PS5|Series S/X. And an unchallenged PS4 as there's no last gen release for this on Xbox.

A very expected split.

I don't even understand this post, this game isn't even on Game Pass.
My tone didn't change

Roufianos

Game deserves a lot better. Hopefully with digital factored in, it ended up doing better than RE2 and Village. The Steam numbers at least suggested it would.

adamsapple

Game deserves a lot better. Hopefully with digital factored in, it ended up doing better than RE2 and Village. The Steam numbers at least suggested it would.

It will. Capcom's sales were 95% digital in the quarter ending November '22

-

I think some folks are in somewhat of a denial about how much of a larger share digital has compared to physical now .

Last edited:

Stuart360

On paper it seesm bad, with PS5, Series, and obviously PS4 far outselling Gamecube in terms of consoles, but obviously Gamecube had no digital sales.

Also as a remake its sales may be less frontloaded, with sales being more spread out over the coming weeks and months.

I'm surea year or two from now, its sales will be up there with the other games.

MMaRsu

Banned
I dont understand why this game wasnt properly marketed? Or are people just done with Resident Evil?

This should have sold a shitload, but I think some people just dont know how good Resident Evil 4 (OG) really is.

The remake is amazing. Its just sad that I havent really seen big streamers play it either.

Roufianos

It will. Capcom's sales were 95% digital in the quarter ending November '22

[/URL]

-

I think some folks are in somewhat of a denial about how much of a larger share digital has compared to physical now .
That figure is no doubt mostly made up of legacy sales and also includes PC. I think, if anything, people continue to underestimate how large the physical market on console actually is, especially on PlayStation and especially at launch:

FqnGRoAXgAIXoUx

SkylineRKR

But is this good? GC version sold like trash, also a different era. Even the PS2 port outsold the GC version and it wasn't a huge seller with about 2 million copies sold.

adamsapple

That figure is no doubt mostly made up of legacy sales and also includes PC. I think, if anything, people continue to underestimate how large the physical market on console actually is, especially on PlayStation and especially at launch:

FqnGRoAXgAIXoUx

Even in this example, most figures are unknown and only 2, 3 are more on physical. The rest are 70, 80% digital share. A figure that will only increase over time with the cheaper digital variants selling more.

But is this good? GC version sold like trash, also a different era. Even the PS2 port outsold the GC version and it wasn't a huge seller with about 2 million copies sold.

I can say with a very safe assumption that including digital, the increase will be a lot higher than 29%.

SkylineRKR

Even in this example, most figures are unknown and only 2, 3 are more on physical. The rest are 70, 80% digital share. A figure that will only increase over time with the cheaper digital variants selling more.

I can say with a very safe assumption that including digital, the increase will be a lot higher than 29%.

Ofcourse, and it better be. This is a different time with much more platforms and ways to buy your game. Even 129% increase should be poor for this game. RE4 on GC was essentially a niche game because the GC barely had a userbase. But its only UK, which is a small market on the global scale.

adamsapple

Ofcourse, and it better be. This is a different time with much more platforms and ways to buy your game. Even 129% increase should be poor for this game. RE4 on GC was essentially a niche game because the GC barely had a userbase. But its only UK, which is a small market on the global scale.

For reference, it has already beaten any previous franchise records for most concurrent players on Steam. So it's selling faster than any other recent RE game on that one platform at least. I won't be surprised if its at the top of the next NPD and we get a press release from Capcom in a day or two that 2~3 million copies have already been sold at launch etc.

I easily see Re4 remake becoming the most successful RE game.

SkylineRKR

For reference, it has already beaten any previous franchise records for most concurrent players on Steam. So it's selling faster than any other recent RE game on that one platform at least. I won't be surprised if its at the top of the next NPD and we get a press release from Capcom in a day or two that 2~3 million copies have already been sold at launch etc.

I easily see Re4 remake becoming the most successful RE game.

While RE4 is not my fave RE game, I wouldn't be against it. RE4 sold bad for what it offered at the time. Ofcourse it was down to Capcoms decision to side with Nintendo all of a sudden, RE+Nintendo seemed like a mismatch to me and the GC kind of bombed. I guess in the end, with the PS2 version combined, RE4 sold about 4 million which wasn't bad during that era. Plus the remasters sold well too.

Fake

Can't right sure. Just the comparison alone is super silly.

29% against only a single console is very poor, even not considerate the digital. This remake have like 4 version in comparison with Game Cube alone.

Digital can increase the different, but again GC version don't have digital, so what is the fucking point? Gonna compare high digital sales vs zero digital sales? Is super stupid.

Last edited:

Roufianos

I'm not saying physical is larger, I'm just pointing out that the split at launch (which is what's relevant here) is much more even than figures like Capcom's 95% digital would suggest.

To go back to my original point, hopefully this is the biggest recent RE launch when we factor in digital, but no way are these numbers going to increase tenfold, or even triple.

Square2015

By comparison RE4's first month (Gamecube) sales in the US were:
Jan-2005 - 319k (3 wks on sale)

Last edited:

Mozza

It's better launch is not that much of a surprise, as it's multi platform, coming out on three popular systems, rather than the GameCube that was struggling at the time.

Sw0pDiller

3rd parties will more and more ask themselves whether it's worth it at all to release something on Xbox if you are not on game pass day one.
Yeah, in some weird way MS is forcing devs to go Gamepass on xbox. in the end, i feel quality can only suffer because of this system. devs wont get paid enough to make a "quality" GP only game because GP is not covering all of the costs. in some twisted way PS sales are funding GP releases in time. it's a clever strategy come to think of it.

Moses85

By comparison RE4's first month (Gamecube) sales in the US were:
Jan-2005 - 319k (3 wks on sale)
Now consider the install base of the GameCube compared to

PS4 + 100 Mio
PS5 + 35 Mio
Xbox Series X/S… 18 Mio?
PC?

It would be a absolute desaster if the Remake would sell less than the GameCube

SkylineRKR

PS4 + 100 Mio
PS5 + 35 Mio
Xbox Series X/S… 18 Mio?
PC?

The thing with theories like these is that the PS4 is near irrelevant. It sold 100 million once, but many discarded it by now. Only 13% bought a PS4 copy of RE4, like 1 out of 10 playstation gamers.

But the sales of 4 Remake will probably be fine. It outsells the GC on physical versions alone. Which might be only 20% of its total sales.

Moses85

The thing with theories like these is that the PS4 is near irrelevant. It sold 100 million once, but many discarded it by now. Only 13% bought a PS4 copy of RE4, like 1 out of 10 playstation gamers.

But the sales of 4 Remake will probably be fine. It outsells the GC on physical versions alone. Which might be only 20% of its total sales.
I am sure the PS4 Version will sell very well.

Square2015

PS4 + 100 Mio
PS5 + 35 Mio
Xbox Series X/S… 18 Mio?
PC?

That's WW. I posted US #s.

PS4 <34m
PS5 ~13m
Xbs/x ~10m
^current US sales

GC was 9.1m when RE4 released. Again US only.

Last edited:

jm89

This is all where getting regarding digital. No platform splits. Maybe we get it in the monthly charts.

Top Bottom