• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[UK] Covid: Africa travel restrictions over variant fear

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
As posted in other thread... this *COULD* be a much milder variant of covid... which would make perfect sense, as it would mean the disease is behaving like other coronaviruses.

The hospitals not being overburdened doesn't really mean that much though. It took awhile for Covid to start really hitting the hospitals hard.

Gonna wait a few weeks to see if it stays that way and see if it being milder is actually confirmed by the various institutions that handle this kind of thing.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
The hospitals not being overburdened doesn't really mean that much though. It took awhile for Covid to start really hitting the hospitals hard.

Gonna wait a few weeks to see if it stays that way and see if it being milder is actually confirmed by the various institutions that handle this kind of thing.

Yep. Too soon to confirm anything, but encouraging that an expert on the ground at the site of the new variant outbreak is stating that it’s milder.

On top of that, SA’s vaccine rate is hopelessly low, so with any luck that‘s a big driver of the spike. They haven’t had much Covid either.

sinnergy

It’s so mild that Boris Johnson needs to speak , please vaccinate .. otherwise people won’t take if they hear it does nothing for Unicron version ..

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Yep. Too soon to confirm anything, but encouraging that an expert on the ground at the site of the new variant outbreak is stating that it’s milder.

On top of that, SA’s vaccine rate is hopelessly low, so with any luck that‘s a big driver of the spike. They haven’t had much Covid either.
This is a nitpick I know so I apologize in advance, but South Africa is not the site of the "new outbreak". They are just the first country to discover it due to their insanely advanced medical infrastructure. The variant is likely all over the god damn place by now. They just happened to be the first to notice.

Or as this person put it lol

Sybrix

1st measures:

-PCR test for arrivals in the UK from anywhere in the world
-Rules of mask wearing to be tightened in shops and public transport
-Booster jabs rolled out more widely

2nd and 3rd points are pretty vague.....

Last edited:

sinnergy

1st measures:

But it’s probably mild .. no worries 😌 those are pretty heavy measures to be honest .. but it’s probably already unstoppable in the world .

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
1st measures:

Seems proportionate, seeing as how we still don’t know how bad it is. With any luck, things will relax again in three weeks, if we see that vaccine escape and symptoms aren’t too bad. I very much doubt that the vaccines will do nothing, so we might get more infections but mild ones. Also, delta could still be more powerful anyway, so it might not grab a hard hold.

_115651730_breaking-promo-976.png

Two cases of new variant of Covid detected in UK - BBC News

To the surprise of nobody. Introverts rejoice, you can stay inside again.

That was the scary thing when the BBC ran a poll. A large percentage of people never wanted lockdown to end.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
That’s weird you would say that. Those dumbasses have the lowest rates of covid on the country right now. And very very few, if any restrictions.
Not weird. You can't just only look at a slice of time right now to make an assessment about a contagious disease that has a specific mathematical pattern of spread over time.

They have a low rate of COVID now because a whole bunch of them got it the last few months and either died from it, recovered and got natural immunity, or recovered from it with natural immunity and also long term disabilities. That is why you see COVID and other contagious diseases come and go in waves.

The delta variant was going to spread to the USA eventually, but the lower vaccination rates in the south made it a vulnerable population center where COVID got a foothold and spread rapidly. The vaccines do a lot to protect us, but they can only do so much if neighbors are highly contagious and infectious. With such a highly infectious population down south, the odds are not in our favor. Starting with this huge infected population, the virus will eventually spread to new areas as it burns though its current area, which is why you see it spreading to the rest of the country. Also coupled with the fact that winters will be more of a factor in the colder north, and not enough people are getting their booster shots as it's been more than 6 months since the second shot for a lot of people.

Compare the states with each other. It ain't prety.

Cumulative deaths of the "dumbass" states are higher.

IEgcm6O.png

Peaks of the "dumbass" states are higher.
KoHVglB.png

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This is a nitpick I know so I apologize in advance, but South Africa is not the site of the "new outbreak". They are just the first country to discover it due to their insanely advanced medical infrastructure. The variant is likely all over the god damn place by now. They just happened to be the first to notice.

If the variant has been found in UK, Brail and NZ, ho come nobody talked about it?

As for the tweet, he is right. Discovery doesn't necessarily mean origin, although it can still originate from there.

A good example is this is articles I'd read years back showing people in Denmark or some other European country showing the got super high cancer rates per capita, much higher than people in Africa.

Well, probably because people in Denmark get medical checks a lot, there's lots of medical staff and the docs and hospitals have good gear to tell people they got serious medical issues! It's a self serving cycle!

In Canada, tons of people know how to ice skate. Is it because we are all born wrapped in a blanket and the first gifts given to newborns are baby sized ice skates? Or is it because the main sport is hockey and the country with the most rinks is Canada so everyone has a indoor or outdoor rink within a 5 min drive?

T8SC

Boris says we'll know more in 3 weeks, which is the 18th Dec, 1 week before Xmas.

So, who's going to wager they say the "current" vaccine's don't offer enough protection, we all need to work from home and not visit family/friends at Xmas, cancel all new year plans and await the new vaccine which will arrive in Spring.

HoodWinked

Thats good information. Ya makes sense that the 4 cases were detected in vaccinated individuals since they likely need to be to travel into other countries. But thinking about this since SA is not a highly vaccinated country this would make a vaccine resistant strain less likely to develop there since that evolution wouldn't benefit the virus. The thing that would help with this strain spreading is having a virus that is milder which would allow carriers to be a more active vector for spread.

Also you guys are so clownish that you guys quote some random guy that calls himself a "futurist" because you want to believe in some weirdo narrivate.

Porcile

Luckily here in japan people are getting vaccinated (80% in 6 months?) and virtually everybody is using mask, even in big parties, not only client but even the dj 😂.

cases are down to 2 digits in Osaka and no deaths. Strange that here with huge old population the news about dying people are mostly around 20-30 years old (no vaccinated).

That's all good. Shame we'll be doing this shit for the next five years, not including all the crap prior to getting low numbers. Japan's response to covid is not worth all the dick sucking it has received from the world's media.

Wildebeest

At this point, I don't hear anyone saying that vaccines do not help at all against this variant. The scientists were spooked because of a theoretical paper about a possible variant like this, but we don't really have much to go on when it comes to evidence that it is especially dangerous.

Bogeyman

Banned
As posted in other thread... this *COULD* be a much milder variant of covid... which would make perfect sense, as it would mean the disease is behaving like other coronaviruses.

Very promising indeed.

It's also worth noting though that South Africa has a very young population, only ca. 8% of the population are 60yrs+, compared to something like 22.5% for the UK. So that might certainly contribute to fewer hospitalizations as well.

Wildebeest

Very promising indeed.

It's also worth noting though that South Africa has a very young population, only ca. 8% of the population are 60yrs+, compared to something like 22.5% for the UK. So that might certainly contribute to fewer hospitalizations as well.
It also late spring in SA, while in the north we are heading into winter. Flu season.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Agreeably large number of people back in face masks today around London.

British people being sensible and cautious while things are still up in the air. You love to see it.

Bogeyman

Banned

British people being sensible and cautious while things are still up in the air. You love to see it.

That's good to see.

Truth be told, I'm still baffled by our current "relatively" low case numbers compared to Europe.
I've been over there not too long ago, and damn that was an odd experience. Facemasks were pretty much mandatory everywhere, you actually needed to show your vaccination status to sit down in any restaurant (even KFC :messenger_tears_of_joy: ). One of my friend's kids had covid, so they had to strictly quarantine at home for 2 weeks, and the kid's classmates had to stay a home a few days as well.
It just felt like there there was still such a huge level of precaution going on. And mind you - that was actually shortly before that huge surge of case number started.

Meanwhile in London, the tube is so stuffed I regularly need to wait out 2-3 trains to even be able to squeeze in again.
Half or so of commuters aren't wearing facemasks.
Pubs are absolutely packed the the brim.
The guy sitting right next to me in the office (double jabbed) got Covid, my employer still asked me to come back in next day. NHS app was fine with it too since I'm double jabbed as well.

And yet somehow, Europe seems to be harder hit at the moment. I'm quite frankly baffled how that's even possible - like I literally cannot think of any explanation. Good for us, I guess, but somehow I can't make sense of it.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
And yet somehow, Europe seems to be harder hit at the moment. I'm quite frankly baffled how that's even possible - like I literally cannot think of any explanation. Good for us, I guess, but somehow I can't make sense of it.

Some people have posited it might be that AstraZeneca has been better and fighting delta than the other vaccines. The U.K has far more AZ jabbed people.

Also, we opened up completely in July, allowing the disease more free rein, but with the vaccines very much doing their job. That’s led to a massive amount of antibody immunity across the U.K. So now the winter months are here, delta is having a harder time spreading here than it is in Europe.

Having said this, our death and hospitalisation rates are still too high - though markedly below countries like Germany.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member

"It presents mild disease with symptoms being sore muscles and tiredness for a day or two not feeling well," Coetzee explained. "So far, we have detected that those infected do not suffer the loss of taste or smell. They might have a slight cough. There are no prominent symptoms. Of those infected some are currently being treated at home."

LOCK EVERYTHING DOWN! SHUT THE BORDERS! INPRISON THE UNVACCINATED!

FunkMiller

Gold Member

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
There’s never been a virus globally that changes variants like this, wearing a mask will make you feel protected, and we have learned from earlier variants of Covid, doing things like don’t panic, ask questions, wash hands, respect doctors etc. what is South Africa doing when encountering this new variant? Who America was in 2020 Jan. back than discovering and understanding Covid is different, the first thing people did was judge America’s reaction and handling of the virus.

GHG

I think people are finally realising it's necessary in order for people to be able to spend Christmas and new year with one another this year.

Only took them the best part of 20 months to come round.

HoodWinked

that last paragraph made no sense since many of those countries haven't had new variant, turns out it's a 3 month old post probably about delta reframed in the wrong context. and this shit gets posted twice on this thread and twice more on the other thread.

Top Bottom