• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK DS sales over a million!

Ronok said:
Ok consider this....... Game shops in the UK give DS about this much space in the UK |________|. Now lets just say TRU give DS this much space |__________________________________________________|..... Now if games consoles sell in acordance to the amount of shelf space they are given, isn't it possible for such a big discrepency to occur?

I think you should know, multiple spaces are automatically reduced to one space (I only know that 'cause I double space after periods--as I was taught long ago), which made your post look kind of silly. I fixed it for you.

ziran

i understand the need for sonybots to cry foul at every bit of good nintendo news (and vice versa) but it's really not hard to believe. tru in the uk has always had a great nintendo selection and, speaking from experience, has the best nintendo deals.

for example this pokemon emerald box was a tru exclusive with the game:
788759_l.jpg

add to this the demographic and it's easy to see why tru has good nintendo sales. also afaik tru buys directly from nintendo and doesn't go through a distributor, so nintendo would have more accurate sales figures for their products than an independent tracker.

it's also obvious ds would eventually sell a million in the uk.

however, i never expected ds to sell so well, so quickly, in europe and the uk, but it has, which is great news imo. the psp has also sold very well and is no doubt around a million (in the uk). i've said it before and i'll say it again, this is good all round. both handhelds are selling well the world over and competition creates better games :)

ziran

Official PR:
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/press_release.php?aid=14195
Nintendo DS Hits 1 Million Sales In The UK
Press release supplied by Games Press 14:01 20/01/2006

20 January 2006

Nintendo UK has today announced that 1 million units of its Nintendo DS handheld console are in the hands of gamers across the country. The announcement is just another highlight in a long line of successes throughout 2005 where the Nintendo DS has led the handheld market not only in the UK but across the globe. Many stores across the UK are continuing to report they are sold out of Nintendo DS until new stock arrives in the coming week.

Following Nintendo DS's launch in Europe in March 2005, almost three and a half million Nintendo DS units have been sold. Worldwide sales have shown a similar pattern with millions of people turning to Nintendo for their portable gaming. Approximately 13 million* Nintendo DS were in the hands of people all around the world by the end of December 2005, leaving any competition standing.

UK sales of the Nintendo DS have been significantly bolstered by the launch of ground breaking games such as Nintendogs, which has sold over 1.6 million copies in Europe since launch in October and Mario Kart DS which stormed the Christmas charts selling 800,000 copies in Europe since its late November launch.

UK gamers have a lot to look forward to in 2006, including Animal Crossing: Wild World which has been a huge success in Japan having already sold over one million copies and is launching soon in the UK.

The Nintendo DS is available for around £89. Mario Kart DS and Nintendogs are now available for around £30 and both games are also available in bundle packs (including a copy of the game and a Nintendo DS), available for around £99.

Click onto www.nintendo-europe-media.com for all of the most up to date official information on Nintendo.

*Combined sell-thru numbers in Japan, North America, Latin America, Australia and other territories.

milanbaros

Member?
I read in the times today that Nintendo are starting a £2m ad campaign in the UK for the DS. They are going to advertise in SAGA magazine which is for over 50s and have tv ads in countdown. It is to coincide with the launch of Brain Training.

Merlin

Banned
milanbaros said:
I read in the times today that Nintendo are starting a £2m ad campaign in the UK for the DS. They are going to advertise in SAGA magazine which is for over 50s and have tv ads in countdown. It is to coincide with the launch of Brain Training.

Wow, great idea.

ziran

milanbaros said:
Yeah, very good idea.

I read somewhere Brain Training was going to be as high a profile game for NOE and NOA as nintendogs, with the same kind of advertising budget. i think it's worth a try giving it as big a push as possible after the amazing sales of the games in Japan.

ethelred

cvxfreak said:
Nintendo itself has actuall acknowledged the WalMart excuse in the past. I don't know why people write it off, myself.

Especially considering the exclusives that some of these companies (like TRU and Walmart) get. Right now Walmart is exclusively selling the PokePark DS -- I'm sure that'll get really great sales, but hey, it'll never show up in NPD.

ziran said:
i understand the need for sonybots to cry foul at every bit of good nintendo news (and vice versa) but it's really not hard to believe. tru in the uk has always had a great nintendo selection and, speaking from experience, has the best nintendo deals.

It's that way in the US, too. Almost all of the TRUs I've been to dedicate as much space to the GBA as they do to the PS2 and Xbox (individually, not combined). The DS has less shelf space, but a whole lot more than the PSP does -- and it's a whole lot more shelf space than the DS has in any Gamespot or EB I've been to.

littlewig

Banned
I wonder when dedicated games stores like Gamestop will realize they are losing a lot of sales by not supporting Nintendo content equally as other companies, or more so.

There are a lot of hardcore Nintendo gamers, more so then the casual trash they whore out too, willing to spend cash on games. If they try to please these hardcore Nintendo gamers, I'm sure their financial troubles will dissapear.

Mook1e

littlewig said:
I wonder when dedicated games stores like Gamestop will realize they are losing a lot of sales by not supporting Nintendo content equally as other companies, or more so.

There are a lot of hardcore Nintendo gamers, more so then the casual trash they whore out too. If they try to please these hardcore Nintendo gamers, I'm sure their financial troubles will dissapear.
I doubt that.

littlewig

Banned
Mook1e said:
I doubt that.

Sorry, didn't finish the sentence...

There are a lot of hardcore Nintendo gamers, more so then the casual trash they whore out too, willing to spend cash on games.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
littlewig said:
Sorry, didn't finish the sentence...

There are a lot of hardcore Nintendo gamers, more so then the casual trash they whore out too, willing to spend cash on games.
Wrong again. WTF are you basing this on?

If Nintendo are going to going to push Brain Training hard in Europe then they need to price it accordingly. Nobody is going to give it a chance if they've to pay 45 euro for it. Guybrush, any idea on what the price might be?

littlewig

Banned
jj984jj said:
Wrong again. WTF are you basing this on?

The clear Nintendownage going on in Europe but the lack of sales for Nintendo products in stores that constantly screw the company over.

Chibbi Brady said:
If Nintendo are going to going to push Brain Training hard in Europe then they need to price it accordingly. Nobody is going to give it a chance if they've to pay 45 euro for it. Guybrush, any idea on what the price might be?

I thinkt Brain Train costs 29 € here in Europe, same as Polarium

Low Budget Games = 29 €
Normal Games = 39 € here in Europe

Top Bottom