• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Gaming Market Report 2022: Console Share, Digital/Physical Software, Best-Selling Games, & Accessories

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
These hardware sales compared to physical software sales tell interesting story. Xbox only 57k units behind playstation with GoW Ragnarok and all marketing deals is not a bad result for MS.
This includes the H1 '22 period, when PS5 was pretty much unavailable globally. At that point, Xbox should have gotten ahead of PlayStation, because GOW Ragnarok also released in November 2022.

Now, PS5 is recording 300% (UK) and 500% (EU) YoY increase from Jan-Feb 2022, while Xbox is around 15% YoY increase. The gap is increasing fast now.

sexy men GIF
I'm really trying to remember the name of that song, what's the name?

Edit: The Lost Boys, how could I forgot about that.

Last edited:

geary

If people buy games after playing them on PC gamepass, they surely dont buy them on Xbox PC store…they go to buy thm on steam, or on greu markets with steam key. Thats why you dont see “the sales” on MS ecosystem…

pasterpl

This includes the H1 '22 period, when PS5 was pretty much unavailable globally. At that point, Xbox should have gotten ahead of PlayStation, because GOW Ragnarok also released in November 2022.

Now, PS5 is recording 300% (UK) and 500% (EU) YoY increase from Jan-Feb 2022, while Xbox is around 15% YoY increase. The gap is increasing fast now.

This is UK only thread, not sure what availability globally have to do with these numbers. Yes, H1 there were stock issues with both Xbox(lesser issues) and PS5 in the Uk, but most of the H2 and especially Q4 2022 PS5 was easily available in the UK.

This includes the H1 '22 period, when PS5 was pretty much unavailable globally.
Now, PS5 is recording 300% (UK) and 500% (EU) YoY increase from Jan-Feb 2022
Again this UK numbers thread and you talking about global sales. We all know that beyond US and the UK Xbox barely register any sales.

So you saying that PS5 is showing growth 300% YoY is growth from pretty much unavailable to x number of units. So it might be that last year ps5 sold (guesstimate)50k units and this year 200k, vs Xbox that had better availability sold (guesstimate) 100k units last year vs 115k.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
This is UK only thread, not sure what availability globally have to do with these numbers. Yes, H1 there were stock issues with both Xbox(lesser issues) and PS5 in the Uk, but most of the H2 and especially Q4 2022 PS5 was easily available in the UK.

Again this UK numbers thread and you talking about global sales. We all know that beyond US and the UK Xbox barely register any sales.

So you saying that PS5 is showing growth 300% YoY is growth from pretty much unavailable to x number of units. So it might be that last year ps5 sold (guesstimate)50k units and this year 200k, vs Xbox that had better availability sold (guesstimate) 100k units last year vs 115k.
Yes from H2 2022 onwards, PS5's supply issues started easing up.

What I was saying is that when PS5 wasn't available (H1 2022), Xbox should have sneaked ahead at that point so much that it is ahead of PS5 by the end of 2022. Now that PS5 supply issues are over, it is extremely tough for Xbox to close this gap for the rest of this generation.

pasterpl

Yes from H2 2022 onwards, PS5's supply issues started easing up.

What I was saying is that when PS5 wasn't available (H1 2022), Xbox should have sneaked ahead at that point so much that it is ahead of PS5 by the end of 2022. Now that PS5 supply issues are over, it is extremely tough for Xbox to close this gap for the rest of this generation.

Agree. But it is hard to get people to buy your gaming console without system sellers (and let’s be honest MS/Xbox was lacking these whole of the last year). We need to wait for games like redfall(? Not sure if this will end up system seller), forza, starfield to drop to see if these will push Xbox sales up at all.

Brucey

I thought I saw some numbers where overall console sales for Feb were something like 178,000? So the baseline must be pretty low.

Fatmanp

They can/should still market their big games (first and third-party).

I think Wo Long has Xbox marketing, and you'd hardly see that game advertised. Even PlayStation has been doing more marketing for Wo Long than Xbox.

Xbox should have been marketing Wo Long similarly to how Sony marketed Hogwart's Legacy (but on a smaller scale, of course) or Kena or Stray. Even Tchia has had more marketing from PS than Wo Long had from Xbox.

4jKqSXS.jpg

pi2LV99.jpg

Compare this to:

GdHyIm3.jpg
I have been saying that MS marketing has been trash for ages. A few weeks ago the FH5 expansion stream was announced by the Forza Horizon twitter account and only that account for over 24 hours. Nothing is connected or logical. The Gamepass socials are just the admin memeing. They really need to drive engagement across all of the social platforms. At most PlayStation holds a 2 to 1 ratio follower advantage across socials but as evidenced by your images hss 3-5x engagement on the same content.

Top Bottom