• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Gaming Market Report 2022: Console Share, Digital/Physical Software, Best-Selling Games, & Accessories

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
ERA, the digital entertainment and retail association, has released its UK Gaming Market Report for 2022. And it contains some juicy information! Here are some tidbits.

Video Games -- the #1 Entertainment Industry

hQuMpbu.jpg

Game Sales
  • Retail sales of games software (£4,664 million), up by 2.3%.
  • Digital sales of games (£4,176 million), up by 3.1%.
  • Physical software sales (£489 million), up by 4.4%.

PlayStation vs. Xbox vs. Nintendo Software Sales
  • Physical Software Sales (£ million)
    • Nintendo = 213.9
    • PS5 = 147.1
    • Xbox Series = 35.5
  • Physical Games Market Share
    • Nintendo = 44%
    • PS5 = 30%
    • Xbox Series = 7%
Overall, PlayStation leads the physical software sales in the UK, with a 4x lead on Xbox.
j8YRUcI.jpg

Console Split - Games Hardware Market UK

• PS5 led the market in 2022 with a 43%
A total of 2.4 million consoles were sold in the UK last year.

• Nintendo Switch was #1 with ~880,000 consoles but saw a YoY decline in volume (-28%) and revenue (-24%).
  • PS5 was #2 with ~780,000 units with a similar decline in volume (-33%) and revenue (-31%).
  • Xbox was #3 with ~723,000 units, down by 14.6% YoY.

Best-Selling Games

FIFA was the #1 selling game in 2022, with 2.5 million units sold in the country.

9u3p01U.png

The Physical / Digital ratio for the Top 20 Best Selling Games was 50:50.

Most Popular Digital Software Stores

• Steam is #1 with a 50.5% share
  • PlayStation is #2 with a 37.9% share
  • Xbox is #3 with 18.9% share
  • Nintendo is #4 with 17.9% share

Most Popular Accessories

DualSense White remains the UK's most popular accessory, selling 413,740 units.

1CdWVN4.png

Link to the full report: https://eraltd.org/media/72551/2023-era-yrbk.pdf

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Physical is just dead in UK for Xbox.
The question is why is the digital store low?

Is there a different math to that, or is that just the total for all systems?

Is there other stuff besides digital sales (f2p games perhaps)?

reksveks

The question is why is the digital store low?

Is there a different math to that, or is that just the total for all systems?
Trying to figure out the maths, its shouldn't be % of the digital sales cause the sum of the percentages > 100

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Sonys exclusives still Skewing heavily towards physical sales which I love to see. GT7 bucking the trend there and almost reaching a 50/50 split. I dont think Sony would go with a digital only console any time soon. You can see by places like CEX that people buy their exclusives, blast through them then trade them in. GT7 being more Gaas orientated changes that. Makes sense, to hear Sony are looking for big hits in the Gaas space.

Apart from that, it's Sony domination, outside of console sales. Xbox is doing extremely well here, all things considered.

reksveks

Overall, PlayStation leads the software sales in the UK, with a 4x lead on Xbox. (commentary: not 100% sure if it's physical only, or physical + digital).
Combining disc sales across all the available platforms under the Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft umbrellas, 2022’s ‘Battle of the Brands’ saw Sony regain top spot. Burgeoning PS5 disc sales helped Sony secure 45% of total physical games spend, supplanting Nintendo whose share dipped to 44%. Microsoft share of the market continues to slip, falling from 14% to 11% in 2022
Assume we are looking at page 25

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Yeah, looks to be physical sales. Not good on xbox for that at all and I feel bad becuase I always buy digital on xbox as I feel safer in the knowledge that my catalogue will be protected. But, nothing is guaranteed.

reksveks

Yeah, looks to be physical sales. Not good on xbox for that at all and I feel bad becuase I always buy digital on xbox as I feel safer in the knowledge that my catalogue will be protected. But, nothing is guaranteed.
Would be a bit more tempted to buy physical if we had a system like Ultraviolet but playanywhere and the belief that my digital purchase will be available via xcloud (and potentially GFN) makes buying digital much more appealing.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Yes I've saved at least £500 a year, paid for my Series S, Series X and Ps5.
Thank you Microsoft.
Also free Xbox elite controller, free digital games not on GP and even John Lewis vouchers.
Really is the best gaming deal bar none.
Thanks to Rewards.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Yes, double-checked and it is physical only.

I got confused because there were two different data-sets on page 25 and 23. But the data on 23 is just split by platform generations. I added them up and it's the same data as 25.

EN250

I was just wondering why here are hundreds of UK threads and rarely other countries.
Isn't it the biggest EU market for video games? Maybe is because of that, more sales, more interest in getting data

As for the topic:

"Most Popular Digital Software Stores

• Xbox is #3 with 18.9% share"
1st: wow, didn't know physical PC games existed to this day and would have 50% of the market, thought it was 100% digital :pie_hushed:
2nd: thought Xbox ecosystem was more skewed digital since the X360 days, it's this related to current gen only or 8th + 9th gen?

reksveks

I think the digital store front whilst indicative of usage, it is good to note it's a survey conducted by FlyResearch and survey's do also have some issues. It doesn't also may not account for repeat usage.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Isn't it the biggest EU market for video games? Maybe is because of that, more sales, more interest in getting data

As for the topic:

1st: wow, didn't know physical PC games existed to this day and would have 50% of the market, thought it was 100% digital :pie_hushed:
2nd: thought Xbox ecosystem was more skewed digital since the X360 days, it's this related to current gen only or 8th + 9th gen?
Regarding Steam, the 50% Steam share is in comparison with other digital storefronts, i.e., PSN, Xbox Store, Nintendo eShop, etc. In other words, it does not mean that 50% of PC sales are physical.

In fact, the reason Steam is so high on this list is likely because PC is like 99% digital now.

anthony2690

Banned
Xbox really needs to step up the marketting.

It honestly has a non existent presence marketting wise what just seems so bizarre to me. (Especially here in the UK)

I see users here advertise more in a week than I do Xbox in a year.

I love the Xbox brand, but their marketting is absolutely dire.

Last edited:

Brucey

Xbox really needs to step up the marketting.

It honestly has a non existent presence marketting wise what just seems so bizarre to me. (Especially here in the UK)

I see users here advertise more in a week than I do Xbox in a year.

I love the Xbox brand, but their marketting is absolutely dire.
If they don't have much series x supply tho, does it make sense to spend on marketing? Tho Sony seemed to do so even with low supply of PS5s. Perhaps MS have realized based on their internal numbers that the end result will be the same even if they do market more.

EN250

Regarding Steam, the 50% Steam share is in comparison with other digital storefronts, i.e., PSN, Xbox Store, Nintendo eShop, etc. In other words, it does not mean that 50% of PC sales are physical.

In fact, the reason Steam is so high on this list is likely because PC is like 99% digital now.

You're right, totally forgot there are other options to buy games, but Steam is the go-to on PC, stores like Epic, GoG and whatever else don't come close

As for the topic:

Doesn't that mean total market share digital share I.e steam is 50% playstation is 37%, xbox is 18%. Presumably the other 5 % is Nintendo.

Even playstation and xbox are meant be over 50% share over physical

anthony2690

Banned
If they don't have much series x supply tho, does it make sense to spend on marketing? Tho Sony seemed to do so even with low supply of PS5s. Perhaps MS have realized based on their internal numbers that the end result will be the same even if they do market more.
They have some fairly big releases this year, hopefully they actually market them & Xbox series consoles.

I've said it before, but the only Xbox advertising I actually see, is from Smyth's toys on YouTube, what just seems strange to me.

I think marketting definitely helps, the amount of people I work with that thought Hogwarts Legacy was only coming to playstation, I was personally quite surprised by.

I assume this is why company's go for marketting deals for big games, because they work.

They have some fairly big releases this year, hopefully they actually market them & Xbox series consoles.

I've said it before, but the only Xbox advertising I actually see, is from Smyth's toys on YouTube, what just seems strange to me.

I think marketting definitely helps, the amount of people I work with that thought Hogwarts Legacy was only coming to playstation, I was personally quite surprised by.

I assume this is why company's go for marketting deals for big games, because they work.

sony dont even need marketing. most people will default to PlayStation either way. i remeber when microsoft had FIFA marketing and it did nothing!

Last edited:
To me the biggest take is considering accessories, is that many people still are still playing Xbox One. Contrary to what some may believe Xbox one became a good console. I do wonder how many people have not adopted the new Xbox for this reason. I'm sure it exist with PS4 aswell.

anthony2690

Banned
sony dont even need marketing. most people will default to PlayStation either way. i remeber when microsoft had FIFA marketing and it did nothing!
I think marketting is important to stay in the consumers mindshare.

Sony market very heavily in the UK, especially with Hogwarts Legacy, God Of war, even these new Sony TV report adverts they have going on, they are literally every single advert for me on YouTube & I don't watch sony related content, just retro game stuff, new game trailers or music usually :)

That being said, I'm surprised I haven't seen a single psvr2 advert at all, I only knew it existed due to threads here on GAF.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Not really, considering the above data. In the UK, the PS and Xbox console market share b/w the two is 60:40, but look at the digital store share:

It's almost 2x.

This is why Sony is fighting toothe and nail to block ABK.

They make so much digital revenue from games such as Fifa Ultimate Team, COD, fortnite and micro transactions in general that they dont want to be giving that revenue to MS. WHich is completely understandable. This isnt people buying their first party IPs digitally.

feynoob

Banned
It's pretty clear by the figures in this thread that is the case

Sony are currently outselling xbox in game sales 3:1
Not really, considering the above data. In the UK, the PS and Xbox console market share b/w the two is 60:40, but look at the digital store share:

It's almost 2x.
No one is talking about the PS5 vs Xbox here.

I am was just talking about Xbox game sales.

Their digital is kinda wonky, unless the data has mtx and F2p games download.

Not to mention Xbox didnt have AAA 1st party launch games in 2022.

yazenov

It's almost 2x.

Yeah the userbase excuse for low Xbox software sales is not a good one and it doesn't make sense since the 2x sales just doesn't add up.

Xbox users are simply buying less games due to Gamepass. Lets just admit this as a huge factor.

Last edited:

Mephisto40

No one is talking about the PS5 vs Xbox here.

I am was just talking about Xbox game sales.

Their digital is kinda wonky, unless the data has mtx and F2p games download.

Not to mention Xbox didnt have AAA 1st party launch games in 2022.
What makes it even more wonky is that Microsoft count someone downloading a gamepass game as a "sale"

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
They can/should still market their big games (first and third-party).

I think Wo Long has Xbox marketing, and you'd hardly see that game advertised. Even PlayStation has been doing more marketing for Wo Long than Xbox.

Xbox should have been marketing Wo Long similarly to how Sony marketed Hogwart's Legacy (but on a smaller scale, of course) or Kena or Stray. Even Tchia has had more marketing from PS than Wo Long had from Xbox.

4jKqSXS.jpg

pi2LV99.jpg

Compare this to:

GdHyIm3.jpg

Top Bottom