• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Gaming Market Report 2022: Console Share, Digital/Physical Software, Best-Selling Games, & Accessories

Mephisto40

Where is the source for that?
When gamepass first released, there were articles out there that said Microsoft were using downloads on their subscription service to fudge their sales numbers, unfortunately I'm unable to find the articles as this was a while ago, but I destinctly remeber it happening

If I remember rightly, their argument at the time was that the money they gave the developers to get the games on gamepass were based on an estimate of expected downloads, and therefore they were classed as sales when somebody downloaded the game

Weather this is still the case I have no idea

feynoob

Banned
When gamepass first released, there were articles out there that said Microsoft were using downloads on their subscription service to fudge their sales numbers, unfortunately I'm unable to find the articles as this was a while ago, but I destinctly remeber it happening

If I remember rightly, their argument at the time was that the money they gave the developers to get the games on gamepass were based on an estimate of expected downloads, and therefore they were classed as sales when somebody downloaded the game

Weather this is still the case I have no idea
Right now they are using those numbers as userbase, since they shifted away from sales numbers to userbase numbers.

It's why we see those player base count alot from them.

XXL

Just an FYI

There was a rumor that Xbox has had their marketing budget cut.

https://www.purexbox.com/news/2023/...edly-reduced-in-the-wake-of-microsoft-layoffs

BTW, this is the same guy who said that if MS doesn't aquire Activision, that they might sell Xbox off.

https://www.purexbox.com/features/talking-point-could-you-ever-see-microsoft-selling-the-xbox-brand

I have no idea if this is true.

But, I have been wondering if Xbox is trying to buy AB to replace the Xbox management with the AB management, as AB management knows what they are doing.

All of this information seems to line up, from the marketing cuts, hiring freeze and mass lay offs.
wait and see rita ora GIF by America's Next Top Model

hlm666

It kinda depends on how long you leave them before digging them up, too long and it's probably hard to recognize them.

I was just joking here Bo no offense intended, and incase you arn't aware that woman in your gif is as dead as physical game sales.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It kinda depends on how long you leave them before digging them up, too long and it's probably hard to recognize them.

I was just joking here Bo no offense intended, and incase you arn't aware that woman in your gif is as dead as physical game sales.

Denzel Washington Reaction GIF

That's a relief!

onQ123

Isn't it the biggest EU market for video games? Maybe is because of that, more sales, more interest in getting data

As for the topic:

"Most Popular Digital Software Stores

• Steam is #1 with a 50.5% share
  • PlayStation is #2 with a 37.9% share
  • Xbox is #3 with 18.9% share"
1st: wow, didn't know physical PC games existed to this day and would have 50% of the market, thought it was 100% digital :pie_hushed:
2nd: thought Xbox ecosystem was more skewed digital since the X360 days, it's this related to current gen only or 8th + 9th gen?
You read that Steam 50.5% all wrong 😂

That's not 50% of PC that's 50% of digital stores ( Steam , PSN & Xbox/Microsoft digital stores)

mckmas8808

Banned
To me the biggest take is considering accessories, is that many people still are still playing Xbox One. Contrary to what some may believe Xbox one became a good console. I do wonder how many people have not adopted the new Xbox for this reason. I'm sure it exist with PS4 aswell.

The whole Jim Ryan's "we believe in generations" seemed to have worked. It helped move people to their next generation console.

Brucey

Just an FYI

https://www.purexbox.com/news/2023/...edly-reduced-in-the-wake-of-microsoft-layoffs

BTW, this is the same guy who said that if MS doesn't aquire Activision, that they might sell Xbox off.

https://www.purexbox.com/features/talking-point-could-you-ever-see-microsoft-selling-the-xbox-brand

But, I have been wondering if Xbox is trying to buy AB to replace the Xbox management with the AB management, as AB management knows what they are doing.

All of this information seems to line up, from the marketing cuts, hiring freeze and mass lay offs.
wait and see rita ora GIF by America's Next Top Model's Next Top Model
Given how toxic Kotick is I find it doubtful. They'll make nice till the deal goes through or is denied then replace him with someone that checks all the woke crowd boxes.

xIravcG.jpg

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I don't think most are ready for this conversation yet. They are waiting for Redfall first. But me, you, and a few others already know what time it is with Gamepass.
Yeah, it's pretty damn obvious now. I personally don't think its a bad thing because I'm loving the service..if it goes away it goes away. Why would anyone buy games at launch on xbox that are included in game pass. Doesn't make sense.

I will purchase games in a sale and buy dlc if the game is good though.

Brucey

The whole Jim Ryan's "we believe in generations" seemed to have worked. It helped move people to their next generation console.
Up till now there really was no pressing push for PS4 owners to upgrade to PS5, almost everything was released on PS4 and PS5, perhaps Hogwarts is the first of these due to the time delay for the PS4/xb1 versions. The game library for the PS4 isn't lacking by any means, should have a long tail content wise.

onQ123

I don't think most are ready for this conversation yet. They are waiting for Redfall first. But me, you, and a few others already know what time it is with Gamepass.

Microsoft jumped the gun with Gamepass it's something that will be needed at some point in the future but looking at how much games are selling now on other platforms vs Xbox One & Xbox Series it's clear it was bad timing.

Halo 2 sold 8 million on the OG Xbox with only 24 million userbase , Halo 3 sold 12 million on Xbox 360 , Halo 4 & Halo: Reach both sold 9 million on Xbox 360

Halo 5 sold 5 million on Xbox One but we're not hearing about how much Halo Infinity is selling on Xbox One + Xbox Series + PC

In the OG Xbox & Xbox 360 days PlayStation had no match for Halo or Gears Of War but now if a PlayStation game comes out & only sell as good as Halo or Gears of War it's a flop .

Days Gone sold 8 million let that sink in "Days Gone sold 8 million!" Halo & Gears of war haven't sold 8 million in the last 2 generations .

XXL

Given how toxic Kotick is I find it doubtful. They'll make nice till the deal goes through or is denied then replace him with someone that checks all the woke crowd boxes.
Agreed. Kotick aside, there are lot of people at Activision who make things happen aside from Kotick. I'm talking upper management as a whole.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
Microsoft jumped the gun with Gamepass it's something that will be needed at some point in the future but looking at how much games are selling now on other platforms vs Xbox One & Xbox Series it's clear it was bad timing.

Halo 2 sold 8 million on the OG Xbox with only 24 million userbase , Halo 3 sold 12 million on Xbox 360 , Halo 4 & Halo: Reach both sold 9 million on Xbox 360

Halo 5 sold 5 million on Xbox One but we're not hearing about how much Halo Infinity is selling on Xbox One + Xbox Series + PC

In the OG Xbox & Xbox 360 days PlayStation had no match for Halo or Gears Of War but now if a PlayStation game comes out & only sell as good as Halo or Gears of War it's a flop .

Days Gone sold 8 million let that sink in "Days Gone sold 8 million!" Halo & Gears of war haven't sold 8 million in the last 2 generations .

And who here thinks Starfield shouldn't do GOW:R numbers this year? It should easily do 10 million in sales quickly. But will MS even release the numbers if GamePass eats away at those sales?

Brucey

And who here thinks Starfield shouldn't do GOW:R numbers this year? It should easily do 10 million in sales quickly. But will MS even release the numbers if GamePass eats away at those sales?
I could see a gamepass subscriber number surge but can't see a game selling 10 or even 5 million if it's on a $10 or $15 a month subscription service. I'll prob reactivate my PC gamepass with a $1 trial to check it out.

feynoob

Banned
For many it’s the reality, like for me. I get enough games through Gamepass, simple as that. The games that don’t go up there I can wait for a late release or sale or buy elsewhere where they run better or have mods.
99% of day 1 games don't get dropped on gamepass.
And those that do are small, or have gotten their sales already.
This is just trolling at its finest.

Last edited:

Brucey

Seems like reasonable logic to me. If he has more games than he knows what to do with, gamepass alone plus discretionary buys of games that never come to gp, after the initial launch date and once it's way cheaper in pricing seems like prudent fiscal management.

Fredrik

We’ll see player numbers like with Forza Horizon 5, I doubt we’ll see sales numbers. But it’s a Bethesda game, I’ll do best on Steam, looking at concurrent players there should be interesting, iirc it’s the most wishlisted game there.

feynoob

Banned
Seems like reasonable logic to me. If he has more games than he knows what to do with, gamepass alone plus discretionary buys of games that never come to gp, after the initial launch date and once it's way cheaper in pricing seems like prudent fiscal management.
So you are saying that he shouldnt buy any of those new games, and hope it gets dropped on gamepass (even though the odds are low).

Look at 2022 games. Only few AAA got dropped on gamepass. Games like Valhalla, cyberpunk 2077 have yet to drop on the service.

We can have this conversation once those games have gamepass appearance.

Fredrik

Trolling? Zero trolling here. It’s no different than how many use Netflix and Disney+ etc, it’s not like I bought Wakanda Forever to see it. I can double check if you want but I think the last full priced game I bought on Xbox was Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, on Xbox One. I’ve bought DLC though, FH5 Hot Wheels, looking forward to the FH5 Rally expansion too, that’s where I put my money nowdays on Xbox.
I did go outside this strategy for a bit and bought Hogwarts Legacy though, but got a refund since it ran better on PS5 where I bought it instead.

pasterpl

Console Split - Games Hardware Market UK

• PS5 led the market in 2022 with a 43%
A total of 2.4 million consoles were sold in the UK last year.

• Nintendo Switch was #1 with ~880,000 consoles but saw a YoY decline in volume (-28%) and revenue (-24%).
  • PS5 was #2 with ~780,000 units with a similar decline in volume (-33%) and revenue (-31%).
  • Xbox was #3 with ~723,000 units, down by 14.6% YoY.

These hardware sales compared to physical software sales tell interesting story. Xbox only 57k units behind playstation with GoW Ragnarok and all marketing deals is not a bad result for MS.

Last edited:

Brucey

So you are saying that he shouldnt buy any of those new games, and hope it gets dropped on gamepass (even though the odds are low).

Look at 2022 games. Only few AAA got dropped on gamepass. Games like Valhalla, cyberpunk 2077 have yet to drop on the service.

We can have this conversation once those games have gamepass appearance.
Yes the appeal of gp is based on the library and new additions. When I first signed up for pc gp there was a ton of new games for me to play, flight simulator, Forza, f1. However like Netflix you can eventually play through the library and then perhaps take a few months or in this case years off until there's another batch of "new" content.

I'm not so sure it's clear that they jumped the gun. I'd be more inclined to agree if it's subs and revenue figures were lower.

Halo 5 sold 5 million within 4 months. Most estimates have it at 9-10 million overall.

What? Halo 5 definitely sold more than 8 million. Gears 5 did as well. While it's not all that impressive to sell on par with a game like Days Gone. It's important to note that they did so on a significantly less popular console. Which makes Days Gone attach rate pretty bad.

onQ123

I'm not so sure it's clear that they jumped the gun. I'd be more inclined to agree if it's subs and revenue figures were lower.

Halo 5 sold 5 million within 4 months. Most estimates have it at 9-10 million overall.

What? Halo 5 definitely sold more than 8 million. Gears 5 did as well. While it's not all that impressive to sell on par with a game like Days Gone. It's important to note that they did so on a significantly less popular console. Which makes Days Gone attach rate pretty bad.

Yeah I thought those Halo 5 numbers was low but that actually help with my point because it was before Gamepass . About Days Gone it's still Days Gone vs Xbox biggest games (That they didn't buy after they became big)

feynoob

Banned
Trolling? Zero trolling here. It’s no different than how many use Netflix and Disney+ etc, it’s not like I bought Wakanda Forever to see it. I can double check if you want but I think the last full priced game I bought on Xbox was Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, on Xbox One. I’ve bought DLC though, FH5 Hot Wheels, looking forward to the FH5 Rally expansion too, that’s where I put my money nowdays on Xbox.
I did go outside this strategy for a bit and bought Hogwarts Legacy though, but got a refund since it ran better on PS5 where I bought it instead.
It was not intended for you.
If you have more than 1 console, you will have the option to spread your purchases around.(I bought elden ring on Xbox, HL on steam and good sales savings on PS5)

However, If you are a single console user you don't have the luxury of buying those games on other platforms. So you have to buy those on that console.

I wonder if people will say the same thing to PS+ premium like they are doing with gamepass.
Even though it doesn't have day1 games, it's still getting those monthly games on their service, plus first party games too(though randomly).

Pelta88

Just an FYI

There was a clip going around on twitter recently of Jez claiming Microsoft insiders want to get rid of XBOX. I watched the podcast which was time stamped and he expanded on the point. He claims inside Redmond shareholders think XBOX's efforts in gaming are a waste of resources.

I was surprised by his insights.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I wonder if people will say the same thing to PS+ premium like they are doing with gamepass.
Even though it doesn't have day1 games, it's still getting those monthly games on their service, plus first party games too(though randomly).
For what it’s worth I used Premium the exact same way as GP at the service launch. Played Returnal that way, Miles Morales, Days Gone, Shadow of the Colossus, couple other games I had been in the fence for. I’m consistent. If I can skip a purchase I 100% will. No shame, been gaming since the early 80s so I think I’ve contributed enough to the industry survival at this point. It just sucks that Sony delays their PS+ releases so it’ll take a strong mind to wait it out, and I don’t have that. One of my number 1 wishes for the future is day 1 releases on PS+. As it is I just end up buying the games I would otherwise be excited about when announced for the service, the equation just doesn’t work for me, goes for the late PC releases as well, I’ve usually already played the games when they come to PC. Haven’t bought TLOUp1 at least, proud about that, will jump in on Steam there instead.

feynoob

Banned
There was a clip going around on twitter recently of Jez claiming Microsoft insiders want to get rid of XBOX. I watched the podcast which was time stamped and he expanded on the point. He claims inside Redmond shareholders think XBOX's efforts in gaming are a waste of resources.

I was surprised by his insights.
They wanted to do that since Xbox one.
Those shareholders don't care about gaming aside of profits.

Baki

For what it’s worth I used Premium the exact same way as GP at the service launch. Played Returnal that way, Miles Morales, Days Gone, Shadow of the Colossus, couple other games I had been in the fence for. I’m consistent. If I can skip a purchase I 100% will. No shame, been gaming since the early 80s so I think I’ve contributed enough to the industry survival at this point. It just sucks that Sony delays their PS+ releases so it’ll take a strong mind to wait it out, and I don’t have that. One of my number 1 wishes for the future is day 1 releases on PS+. As it is I just end up buying the games I would otherwise be excited about when announced for the service, the equation just doesn’t work for me, goes for the late PC releases as well, I’ve usually already played the games when they come to PC. Haven’t bought TLOUp1 at least, proud about that, will jump in on Steam there instead.
I'm waiting on TLOU P1 to be added to PS+ Premium. I refuse to pay for a game for the 3rd time. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

PS5 was the only next-gen console to have PS5 only exclusives from Day 1. Out of the 12 games they've released, half of them have been PS5 only games.

Last edited:

Eotheod

I'd argue that Game Pass is a great addition to the Xbox suite of reasons to buy into their ecosystem, and it seems developers are enjoying it as well. I mean, if the system didn't work then Sony wouldn't be getting into it either, though that may have more to do with Sony by default through number leverage being default winner that they can make up in physical sales.

I just don't see any issue with Game Pass yet, I don't see any sky falling reasons to believe it is bad and there is no current signs of it waning in popularity yet. I could wager the reason for lower physical sales is both lower playerbase in general and that Game Pass just offers too much value which is good. Realistically, a higher playerbase would probably see a larger physical audience but also a larger digital audience.

Until developers stop releasing games on the store, I see Game Pass as succeeding in what it intended to do, which is becoming the go-to for Xbox players to get games. The cyclical nature allows people to grab it cheaper if they still want to keep playing, or move onto something else. I guess maybe sales charts suffer, and then these threads become less useful?

mckmas8808

Banned
I'd argue that Game Pass is a great addition to the Xbox suite of reasons to buy into their ecosystem, and it seems developers are enjoying it as well. I mean, if the system didn't work then Sony wouldn't be getting into it either, though that may have more to do with Sony by default through number leverage being default winner that they can make up in physical sales.

I just don't see any issue with Game Pass yet, I don't see any sky falling reasons to believe it is bad and there is no current signs of it waning in popularity yet. I could wager the reason for lower physical sales is both lower playerbase in general and that Game Pass just offers too much value which is good. Realistically, a higher playerbase would probably see a larger physical audience but also a larger digital audience.

Until developers stop releasing games on the store, I see Game Pass as succeeding in what it intended to do, which is becoming the go-to for Xbox players to get games. The cyclical nature allows people to grab it cheaper if they still want to keep playing, or move onto something else. I guess maybe sales charts suffer, and then these threads become less useful?

But Sony hasn't really "gotten" into it either yet. GamePass is mainly known for Day 1 releases being day and date on the service.

Top Bottom