• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK July 2022 | PS5 catches up with Xbox in the UK for 2022

reksveks

Nearly 104,000 games machines were sold across the UK last month (GfK UK panel units), a drop of 16% month-on-month. Overall, this year-to-date, games console sales are down 38%. Note: July has four weeks in it, while June had five.
PS5 sales dropped the least during July (down 14%), and as a result it’s now the UK’s second most popular console of 2022, just behind Nintendo Switch. PS5 and Xbox Series X continue to be held back by stock shortages.
F1 22 holds top spot in July

1.79 million physical and digital video games were sold across the UK last month, according to the latest GSD figures.
This is a drop of 17% compared with July last year, and a fall of 32% compared with June 2022.
The biggest game of the month is F1 22, which holds the No.1 position for a second consecutive month, after racing to the top in June.
Otherwise, it was another quiet month. The highest charting new game is Nintendo’s Xenoblade Chronicles 3, which debuts at No.13 after one week on sale.

The Horizon: Forbidden West Bundle
Regular readers might note that Horizon: Forbidden West, which dominates the weekly physical charts (from GfK), doesn’t factor at all in the monthly software figures (from GSD). This is because this monthly chart does not factor in console bundles, while the weekly chart does.
“The rise in fortunes for PS5, apart from the variable that is available stock in any given week, can be attributed to the success of the Horizon Forbidden West Official Bundles -- the first of which hit the UK market in week 19 (May22),” explains GfK games boss Dorian Bloch.

“Since the official bundles launched, looking at the three months of May to July, 50% of PS5 hardware was derived from the two official bundles. This also explains the high chart position for Horizon: Forbidden West in the box software charts over these weeks. Recently, the official bundles have accounted for less PS5 hardware, but many retailers are now soft bundling Horizon: Forbidden West with standard PS5 consoles, especially if they are low on stock with the official bundles. All of this means that Horizon: Forbidden West continues to ride high in the software charts, with an original No1 at launch, and a further five No1’s long after launch, all thanks to bundles.”

PS5 bundles boost accessories, too
551,038 accessories and add-on products were sold in the UK last month (GfK UK panel data), a drop of 5.7% compared with June and 4.8% down compared with July last year.
Both the DualSense Wireless Controller White (No.1) and Black (No.2) continue to lead the way. The fastest rising new accessory on the market is the Stealth C6-100 Gaming Headset from A4T, which jumped 147 places to No.5. This is due to a bundle with the PlayStation 5 console at Argos.
“Also of note in July was the surge on Logitech Driving Force G29 wheel for PS4 and PS5 (No13) and the G920 for Xbox and PC (No14) – both major beneficiaries from Amazon Prime week,” says Bloch.

Source: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/ps5-e...d-f1-22-holds-pole-position-uk-monthly-charts

Will format as soon as I can

lfvGZda.jpg

YoY charts

Last edited:
Horizon dominating the weekly charts while not even making the top 20 in the monthly chart just shows how much it has been relying on bundles. I know that people tried to massively downplay that fact, but I'm glad that Chris went out of his way to find out what was going on. Cool dude.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The Horizon: Forbidden West Bundle
Regular readers might note that Horizon: Forbidden West, which dominates the weekly physical charts (from GfK), doesn’t factor at all in the monthly software figures (from GSD). This is because this monthly chart does not factor in console bundles, while the weekly chart does.

The bunduru effect.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Horizon dominating the weekly charts while not even making the top 20 in the monthly chart just shows how much it has been relying on bundles. I know that people tried to massively downplay that fact, but I'm glad that Chris went out of his way to find out what was going on. Cool dude.
Why would new customers buy the game if they're already getting it via bundle?

Physical sales were expected to be low.

It's funny how when people point out the obvious towards Xbox, you come up with excuses and ask people not to downplay their success. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Why would new customers buy the game if they're already getting it via bundle?
Many people implied that bundles aren't the reason why Horizon is charting high in the weekly charts, often citing "legs".
Physical sales were expected to be low.
The monthly chart is both physical+digital combined.
It's funny how when people point out the obvious towards Xbox, you come up with excuses and ask people not to downplay their success. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Not sure why you're bringing up Xbox.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
when HZD launched, PS4 were everywhere, so it helps the sales of HZD immensely.

Due to the low stock of PS5, its wise to bundle with HFW. Alot of people are unwilling to buy the PS4 version and rather wait for the PS5 version ahead.
This can be seen with the PS4 userbase and PS5 userbase % comparison for certain games on the Playstation ecosystem.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Many people implied that bundles aren't the reason why Horizon is charting high in the weekly charts, often citing "legs".
Clearly many people are trolling because it's always stated when the charts are reported.

The monthly chart is both physical+digital combined.
You're missing the point. If there wasn't a Horizon bundle, then you would most likely still see it on the chart, but not as high
Not sure why you're bringing up Xbox.
I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy. You're literally in every sales thread bringing up Horizon. You didn't like people "downplaying" Xbox's success, even though PS5 was having stock issues.

Bragr

Banned
I love to see Mario + Rabbids charting. And it's surprising how big Skywalker Lego is, it's selling incredibly well all over the place. Weird to see UFC 4 on there.

Duchess

Amazon UK still requires you to request an invitation to purchase a PS5, which is insane.

The consoles are getting easier to buy, and hanging around at retailers longer, but still ...

yazenov

Like we knew this all along, its pretty obvious that the only thing holding the PS5 from dominating is the supply issues as the demand for the product is through the roof.

That's the only reason why Xbox was ahead, which was due to the lack of PS5s. Let's be real hear and admit the obvious.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Holy fuck. Hardly any one is choosing to buy horizon...its literally take this or you don't get shit.

Xbox hardware shipments are down? I thougt it was in stock every where? Or was it tough to get in July and now they have stock?

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Clearly many people are trolling because it's always stated when the charts are reported.

No they really where not, let me see if I can pull it, you will see examples of the same names over and over constantly twisting themselves into a pretzel to explain why bundles have no effect on the sales.

There we are, you can easily see the die hard warriors right there. I believe they started confirming the bundle sales where the cause soon after and they all slunk off to try and pretend they never claimed that.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Well, the series consoles are in stock at loads of retailers now for msrp so and ps5 seems to be out of stock. So if this continues and xboz doesn't swing it back in August I think we can safely say that xbox is kind of hitting a steady run rate and demand is dropping.

I mean, demand has dropped across the board but we can't fully know how playstation is looking until it is consistently in stock. I know its been in stock conformably for a few days when replenished but its still in pretty high demand.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
No they really where not, let me see if I can pull it, you will see examples of the same names over and over constantly twisting themselves into a pretzel to explain why bundles have no effect on the sales.

There we are, you can easily see the die hard warriors right there. I believe they started confirming the bundle sales where the cause soon after and they all slunk off to try and pretend they never claimed that.

They didn't release official bundles until May and you linked a thread from April.

People knew official bundles boosted sales because it was stated in each report from gamesindustry.biz.

This was also after the week in which Horizon FIRST fell out of the top 10

Week 9 - 4th
Week 10 - 4th
Week 11 - 7th
Week 12 - 9th
Week 13 - 10th
Week 14 - 14th
Week 15 - 3rd

It wasn't until May 15th (Week 18) that Christopher Dring "suspect(ed) bundles."

People were saying it was all a result of bundles at the time without any clear evidence of how many bundles were contributing to sales when PlayStation 5 units dropped in the UK.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
They didn't release official bundles until May and you linked a thread from April.

People knew official bundles boosted sales because it was stated in each report from gamesindustry.biz.

This was also after the week in which Horizon FIRST fell out of the top 10

Week 9 - 4th
Week 10 - 4th
Week 11 - 7th
Week 12 - 9th
Week 13 - 10th
Week 14 - 14th
Week 15 - 3rd

It wasn't until May 15th (Week 18) that Christopher Dring "suspect(ed) bundles."

People were saying it was all a result of bundles at the time without any clear evidence of how many bundles were contributing to sales when PlayStation 5 units dropped in the UK.

That's fine but I believe it was posted at the time that you essentially couldent get a PS5 without it being bundled by the retailer, I believe the thread has some links but I think the sites have moved on, but for example deal websites

Constantly linked to bundles the prior month, also the official Horizon Bundle was already showing up with resellers on ebay at that point (go figure but that's not counted as sales as its resellers, but where did they get them?)

This is supported by the stock checker UK that constantly lists bundles with very few single consoles during April outside of things like amazon prime members.

As per the stock checker website article

"At the time of writing this article, the bundles below are what’s expected to be made available for the public to buy a PS5 console. We cannot guarantee whether the PS5 Disc or Digital Edition console would be available on its own, but we can certainly confirm the bundles will be there, and they’ll be your best bet in successfully buying a PS5."

Just check the restock feed for April, none stop HFW and GT7 bundles, with a few rare single console inbetween.

Official bundles are not the only option, demand is high and retails are naturally taking advantage of that.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
That's fine but I believe it was posted at the time that you essentially couldent get a PS5 without it being bundled by the retailer, I believe the thread has some links but I think the sites have moved on, but for example deal websites

Constantly linked to bundles the prior month, also the official Horizon Bundle was already showing up with resellers on ebay at that point (go figure but that's not counted as sales as its resellers, but where did they get them?)

This is supported by the stock checker UK that constantly lists bundles with very few single consoles during April outside of things like amazon prime members.

As per the stock checker website article

"At the time of writing this article, the bundles below are what’s expected to be made available for the public to buy a PS5 console. We cannot guarantee whether the PS5 Disc or Digital Edition console would be available on its own, but we can certainly confirm the bundles will be there, and they’ll be your best bet in successfully buying a PS5."

Just check the restock feed for April, none stop HFW and GT7 bundles, with a few rare single console inbetween.

Official bundles are not the only option, demand is high and retails are naturally taking advantage of that.

You didn't read what I said.

I said official bundles didn't release until May. That means every "bundle" prior to may were not an official bundle. Now every single PS5 drop comes with Horizon Forbidden West.

Bundles that were through the store also had bundles for GT7 and other games. It was unknown HOW much of a factor bundles were contributing to sales in the UK.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Yeah, it's obvious demand is dropping across the board. Ps5s weren't in stock for multiple days this time last year and we know drops were considerably larger in 2021. So demand is easing in the UK for sure.

Not surprising with the cost of living crisis.

Last edited:

Woopah

When you don't produce enough consoles and the industry isn't getting major titles released...the industry slows down considerably.

Even Q4 this year will be nothing like any other year.
You'll be getting the annual COD, Fifa and Pokemon, plus God of War and that's it for major titles.
I expect Hogwarts Legacy to do good numbers as well, plus some of the bigger games released earlier in the year.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
When you don't produce enough consoles and the industry isn't getting major titles released...the industry slows down considerably.

Even Q4 this year will be nothing like any other year.
You'll be getting the annual COD, Fifa and Pokemon, plus God of War and that's it for major titles.
Don't you do Calisto Protocol dirty like that, foo!

Please don't be delayed, please don't be delayed...

Gudji

The Nutty Professor Dancing GIF by Laff

jm89

Some of these retailers with stores still being dicks, stuffing half the universe with their bundles. Game seem to have cooled it down a bit, but currys still at it. They still do it cause alot of people don't know anything about ps direct that sells standlones, so they end up spending so much more.

Last edited:

BeardGawd

Banned

You're missing the point. If there wasn't a Horizon bundle, then you would most likely still see it on the chart, but not as high

I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy. You're literally in every sales thread bringing up Horizon. You didn't like people "downplaying" Xbox's success, even though PS5 was having stock issues.
The point is forced bundles do not show the true market demand for the game. I personally feel Horizon isn't that great of an IP.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
The point is forced bundles do not show the true market demand for the game. I personally feel Horizon isn't that great of an IP.
Yet people celebrate Forza Horizon and many other Xbox games having millions of players even though it was on Game Pass. Microsoft had a 1 dollar promotion when the game launched.

Somehow this is "celebrated" and people don't like Horizon Forbidden West appearing on charts because of bundles.

You guys act like software bundling is a new phenomenon or something. I've only ever seen you guys use it as a negative when Sony does it and specifically with HFW because there's a weird narrative that seemingly must be upheld that this game is a failure. That's the actual driving motivation behind a large chunk of the focus on its sales and the bundles.

Also the fact the bundles have sold plenty but the game individually doesn't chart, isn't the immediate correlation you might want to think it is. If everyone who wanted to buy the game individually, but were waiting on more PS5s to be available to do so, saw that it was now being included in the bundles (which FWIW also factor in the game's individual cost, for the most part), then why would they go buy the game individually when they can get both of the things they want in a single package?

So as much as people may want to use this type of stuff to doom-and-gloom the game, anyone can easily take the other stance as mentioned above and weigh that equally into explaining the discrepancies in the weekly and monthly physical sales charts (that's without even getting into what weigh of sales for HFW itself trend physical or trend digital).

Venom Snake

Gold Member
People buying air conditioners instead of gaming consoles/games.

High inflation (and rising interest rates), oil and energy prices, disruptions in food supply chains and generally a lot of market manipulation forces consumers to change their buying priorities. There are many reasons not to buy a game console right now.

Unless it's as a bundle with HFW of course. :messenger_kissing_smiling:

TheGecko

Banned
The fake stock issue bubble will burst soon.

MS are starting to really hit their stride now, I was a hardened 360 guy that went to ps4, I loved the PS4, but I can't stand the PS5 and especially its bloated controller.

I don't know 1 person in real life who's happy with their PS5 or haven't used it for monthes now.

Right now, I've settled with a XSS and surprisingly enjoying it.

Also have a high end PC for old games and Race sims.

Markio128

The fake stock issue bubble will burst soon.

MS are starting to really hit their stride now, I was a hardened 360 guy that went to ps4, I loved the PS4, but I can't stand the PS5 and especially its bloated controller.

I don't know 1 person in real life who's happy with their PS5 or haven't used it for monthes now.

Right now, I've settled with a XSS and surprisingly enjoying it.

Also have a high end PC for old games and Race sims.
I’m really happy with my PS5, so now you know 1 real person who is 😂

Top Bottom