• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK March sales: 217k consoles sold (down 7.6%YoY)| PS5#1, Series X|S #2

ANIMAL1975

tenor.gif
Another One Mtv Emas GIF by 2020 MTV EMA

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Shock! Playstation is saved! As a ps5 owner, im delighted sony keep selling more hardware. It really benefits me!
Ask users of Blackberry, Palm and Windows Phone/Win Mo about how hardware sales benefit them.

Oh yeah, add LG to that list. Probably Nokia? Not even sure about them anymore.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Hurt by the news? Not at all. I own ps5 and a ps3. Both hooked up to my lgcx. I just find it funny that fanboys cling to these sales numbers so much.

I have the Xbox app installed on my PC.

"Guys I love Xbox, I love all games and I'm totally unbiased, I promise."

It's like those motherfuckers who think spending a couple of hours in a church on a Sunday absolves them of all the heinous shit they get up to in the week.

Just be honest, people will appreciate it.

Kerotan

Wow PS5 is lighting it up in JimTown......Jim must be ecstatic.....Unless he is overwhelmed and crying in a corner for all the terrible things the kids are saying about him online......

I mean PS5 is tearing it up and people want Jim's head for destroying PS, the irony is real....
It's just the desperate campaign from Xbox shills. Previously it was exclusives are bad now its please fire Jim he's beating us too bad.

I'm officially not allowed to call Demon's Souls a bomba, so I'll just leave a reaction to seeing it sold less than "51 worldwide games" (whatever the fuck that is).

Awkward Conspiracy Theory GIF by Shane Dawson

Goalus

If consoles are up, but no software is selling, does that mean scalpers are buying the consoles?

That also means those companies are losing money.
It's 2021.
Is there really a meaningful amount of people who buy boxed software? (ignoring Switch games)

Woopah

I'm officially not allowed to call Demon's Souls a bomba, so I'll just leave a reaction to seeing it sold less than "51 worldwide games" (whatever the fuck that is).

Awkward Conspiracy Theory GIF by Shane Dawson
Worldwide sales of Clubhouse games are likely to end up higher than Bloodborne so that wouldn't be a surprise. Plus there's far more Switch's in the UK than PS5's.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Looks like Sony is still handling stock ok all things considered.

Nintendo getting knocked to 3rd means MS is doing better with stock too.

Looks like games and stock are all that matters at the end of the day: Switch games just dominate the sales charts. But the other consoles saw some increases.

This as well:

Sony is the no.1 accessories provider for March, just ahead of Turtle Beach. This was driven by accessories for PlayStation 5, including the DualSense controller (the No.1 accessory of the month), the Pulse 3D headset (No.5) and the DualSense Charging Station (No.7).

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Company A is actually able to reasonably keep up with demand.
Company B kind of isnt.

Therefore....Company A is in trouble?

Does not compute.

This is still the middle of the pandemic......imagine what's gonna happen when things finally get better...

Company B got bullied by Company A that got the Lion's share and left B with only half.

ask talking GIF by South Park

thelastword

Banned
If consoles are up, but no software is selling, does that mean scalpers are buying the consoles?

Software is selling.....Look at AC, Spiderman, Demon Souls, Call of Duty, Hitman......They are selling tonnes and PS5 owners got lots to play for free too. Sony gave them 20 games at launch and recently another 10 or so.....So they are playing games and playing lots of them...

In the end, scalpers are buying, but real gamers are buying from scalpers....If nobody was buying from them, they would not do it...Unfortunate, but it is what it is....
This as well:

Sony is the no.1 accessories provider for March, just ahead of Turtle Beach. This was driven by accessories for PlayStation 5, including the DualSense controller (the No.1 accessory of the month), the Pulse 3D headset (No.5) and the DualSense Charging Station (No.7).
That has been the case for a long time.......Sony has been dominating accessories unwavered for at least over 10 years, month after month......Ohhh! and PSN cards, they make a slaying off that too.......

Hezekiah

Banned
Exactly. I remember when Sony was doing remakes, people used to say, stop wasting funds, give us new games, yet no one gave more new IP's in four generations than Sony and last gen was no exception.

Thing is, I've thought about that. I actually do think Sony has or can make an excellent emulator.....However putting all these old games on the store or going through the hassle of licensing, getting all disks to work, though they can do it....What's the point, few people play BC anyway and when they boot these old games up you will hear "hey, this game really did not age well".....The truth is, people prefer remakes/remasters, they will buy it again, it does not matter.... and if done well and some effort is put into them, they can sell gangbusters......

People said, who asked for crash. It broke sales records. Sotc did well and reviewed well. Demon Souls the same... gamers actually prefer their games to be updated....Look at the RE series, it just prints money. Even Nintendo gives modest upgrades to their old games on hardware that is barely much more powerful than the prior and people still lap it up at $60......I think Sony knows there is money to be made in remastering older games.....EA was reluctant, even they are now on the train with Mass Effect, Crysis etc... as one of their biggest new IP productions was an utter failure in Anthem....In this industry you can't keep financing failed ventures or leaving money on the table.....I think Jim Ryan understands that. Some Studios have to be shuttered so be it, putting some games on PC so be it. Yet more than anything, Sony's biggest strength is their talented studios, they have the biggest propensity to make a new IP work, to produce quality, high production products... As we can see, it's not exactly easy seeing many AAA games not living up to the hype or generating the necessary sales, but Sony has mastered that art...

And lets be clear, console hardware is just as important as ever, even more so....You need a high installbase to drive all the money spent in high quality first party and third party exclusives....
Yeah I think that's a really good point. I just read an article where someone was talking about playing GoldenEye again, and he said it played and looked terribly. You remember these games with rose-tinted spectacles, but when you've become used to updated game mechanics and high-res graphics, it's hard to go back.

The Last of Us looks like the next one to get a PS5 remake. It will sell gangbusters.

Kokoloko85

Hurt by the news? Not at all. I own ps5 and a ps3. Both hooked up to my lgcx. I just find it funny that fanboys cling to these sales numbers so much.
Sales are important because if you like a certain studio, developer, producer or console maker, you want them to be successful so they can keep making things you enjoy.

If Nintendo has Wii U sale numbers for the Switch it would of been horrible for Nintendo fans and console lovers.

Calverz

Sales are important because if you like a certain studio, developer, producer or console maker, you want them to be successful so they can keep making things you enjoy.

If Nintendo has Wii U sale numbers for the Switch it would of been horrible for Nintendo fans and console lovers.
Thats debatable. When console sales are lower than expectations, often the platform holder is forced to innovate and bring about pro consumer features.
PS3 generation brought about strong first party investment and instant game collection with ps+
Xbox one brought about free backwards compatibility and gamepass.
Wii U brought about amazing first party titles and arguably the switch.

ethomaz

Banned

Or you just forget Digital exists lol
That heavy increased with COVID-19 to the point to be 63% of the worldwide full games sold on PS in 2020.

"Sony also revealed that nearly 63 percent of its "full game" sales for the 2020 calendar year came via digital downloads rather than games sold on discs at retail."

Last edited:
Thats debatable. When console sales are lower than expectations, often the platform holder is forced to innovate and bring about pro consumer features.
PS3 generation brought about strong first party investment and instant game collection with ps+

First party titles has nothing to do with pro consumer move. First party titles are MUST for platorm holder. Always was and always will be

Calverz

First party titles has nothing to do with pro consumer move. First party titles are MUST for platorm holder. Always was and always will be
It wasnt for sony in ps1 and ps2 era. They relied heavily on third parties. They thought they could continue with this strategy with ps3. But the problem was the cell processor was hard to develop for compared to the 360 and most, if not all third party games looked better on the cheaper 360. So thats when sony started to invest and doible down on the first party exclusives. A strategy that paid off going into the ps4 generation.

Woopah

That's also true, but if for example Sony's new IPs didn't sell as well then they might not have made sequels to them. Likewise if Switch wasn't selling as well then it wouldn't get as good third party support.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

I totally understand what your saying and its true but some companies and studios can die if they dont well.
If Playstation carried on failing it wouldnt be here like it is here today and same with Nintendo. They both done turned it around well but it could of been awful.

If Nintendo released another console and not a hybrid it would of most likely failed badly.
If playstation didn’t have certain studios and games like Naughty Dog and MGS4, the PS3 would of not made a comeback

wasnt for sony in ps1 and ps2 era. They relied heavily on third parties.

I think you need to read history of Sony published games on PS1 and PS2. There are a lots of them. Sony didn't need to do much for 3rd party titles on PS1 and PS2. Lots of 3rd party devs made games for PS1 and PS2 exclusively on their own

Calverz

I think you need to read history of Sony published games on PS1 and PS2. There are a lots of them. Sony didn't need to do much for 3rd party titles on PS1 and PS2. Lots of 3rd party devs made games for PS1 and PS2 exclusively on their own
Sony’s main strategy in ps1 and 2 was securing exclusive 3rd party content. This strategy failed them in the early ps3 years. Hence why they started to heavily fund their own first party exclusives. This is a fact.

Sony’s main strategy in ps1 and 2 was securing exclusive 3rd party content. This strategy failed them in the early ps3 years. Hence why they started to heavily fund their own first party exclusives. This is a fact.

You didn't read what i've wrote. Bunch of 3rd party devs developed games for PS1 and PS2 and make them exclusive for PS1 and PS2 without moneyhatting.
But yes, the fact is, during PS3 Sony started to heavily fund their 1st party studios

jroc74

I totally understand what your saying and its true but some companies and studios can die if they dont well.
If Playstation carried on failing it wouldnt be here like it is here today and same with Nintendo. They both done turned it around well but it could of been awful.

If Nintendo released another console and not a hybrid it would of most likely failed badly.
If playstation didn’t have certain studios and games like Naughty Dog and MGS4, the PS3 would of not made a comeback
Yup.

I used smartphones before as an example but there are examples of console makers folding up shop as far as making hardware. Hell, Sony might never make another handheld again.

Very few stuck around as 3rd party devs/publishers. Sega is probably the most known one.

Some ppl might not want to believe it or think it doesnt matter to them, but console sales actually do matter.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yup.

I used smartphones before as an example but there are examples of console makers folding up shop as far as making hardware. Hell, Sony might never make another handheld again.

Very few stuck around as 3rd party devs/publishers. Sega is probably the most known one.

Some ppl might not want to believe it or think it doesnt matter to them, but console sales actually do matter.

I think they might port all their PSP/PS Vita games to the android system, at least on their smartfphones. I'm waiting for their new phone in 3 days and see what they have. Making a new branch for mobile gaming could be pretty massive if Sony makes a mobile store on Android and iOS and port at least PSP/PS Vita games there!

Their new smartphone will have freaking 16GB RAM and 512GB memory that is expandable to around 1TB I think with snapdragon 888. I think today's smartphones could start at least with PSP games if PS Vita games are slightly demanding, but I think they can run both. They can make the games 30% cheaper on their phones as well as they won't pay Apple for example or other company anything extra on theirs.

Last edited:

jroc74

I think they might port all their PSP/PS Vita games to the android system, at least on their smartfphones. I'm waiting for their new phone in 3 days and see what they have. Making a new branch for mobile gaming could be pretty massive if Sony makes a mobile store on Android and iOS and port at least PSP/PS Vita games there!

Their new smartphone will have freaking 16GB RAM and 512GB memory that is expandable to around 1TB I think with snapdragon 888. I think today's smartphones could start at least with PSP games if PS Vita games are slightly demanding, but I think they can run both.
Good point. Before I mentioned LG no longer making smartphones, but Sony still hanging in there.

Phones have surpassed the Vita in specs years ago. The Switch does easily.

Only only hold up could be porting games that were designed to run on the Vita Soc? Not sure how hard this could be.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Good point. Before I mentioned LG no longer making smartphones, but Sony still hanging in there.

Phones have surpassed the Vita in specs years ago. The Switch does easily.

Only only hold up could be porting games that were designed to run on the Vita Soc? Not sure how hard this could be.

That's beyond me, but they could start at least somewhere, like making remasters of them to work on Android/iOS under certain specs. This approach could make the PlayStation brand crazy bigger than it is now.

Last edited:

Alright

Banned
Watch this space.

Tomorrow, April 12th, the Uk begins it's first phase away from total lockdown. The lockdown has been going on since November, with a slight gap of a few days for Xmas. While the weather is predictably british (cold, overcast) at the moment, the second the sun comes out, the Brits will be hitting the beer gardens and BBQ's the likes of which we haven't since 2019.

Can sales figures for consoles and games - boosted by the lockdowns starting April 2020, continue at such a pace? Or will we see a slight dip for a few weeks, with a huge YoY drop and decline hitting at the end of May and carrying on all throughout Summer. (When lockdowns restrictions are officially ended, and we go back to 'normal')

Alright

Banned
There's a chance that people will go around each other houses in May, spot the new consoles and games, and want one too. Maybe.
Very true and a good point. The word of mouth could really kick in to high gear.

On the flip side they could think that their mates have bought a new fan heater, BT speaker and Router. :p

Woopah

Watch this space.

Tomorrow, April 12th, the Uk begins it's first phase away from total lockdown. The lockdown has been going on since November, with a slight gap of a few days for Xmas. While the weather is predictably british (cold, overcast) at the moment, the second the sun comes out, the Brits will be hitting the beer gardens and BBQ's the likes of which we haven't since 2019.

Can sales figures for consoles and games - boosted by the lockdowns starting April 2020, continue at such a pace? Or will we see a slight dip for a few weeks, with a huge YoY drop and decline hitting at the end of May and carrying on all throughout Summer. (When lockdowns restrictions are officially ended, and we go back to 'normal')
I think Switch may struggle to do as well as it did last Summer, but Microsoft's and Sony's numbers should be higher as they have new hardware.

Their new smartphone will have freaking 16GB RAM and 512GB memory that is expandable to around 1TB I think with snapdragon 888. I think today's smartphones could start at least with PSP games if PS Vita games are slightly demanding, but I think they can run both. They can make the games 30% cheaper on their phones as well as they won't pay Apple for example or other company anything extra on theirs.
Today's smartphones could run PS3 games, easily. Vita really shouldn't be a problem.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Today's smartphones could run PS3 games, easily. Vita really shouldn't be a problem.

I think they need to be reworked, and I think the recent closure of their stores and opening a mobile gaming subdivision should make some of these games on smartphones and tablets.

Last edited:
Top Bottom