• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Monthly Charts - May 2024

yazenov

Notable releases this month:

Hellblade 2 (PC,XBS)
V Rising (PC)
Ghost of Tsushima (PC)
Paper Mario: The THousand Year Door (Switch)

Vampire survival game V Rising emerged from Early Access and swooped to the top of the charts in the UK during May.

The PC game received strong reviews upon release, with a PS5 version due in June 11.

Ghost of Tsushima: Director's Cut jumps up the charts following the game's release on PC, landing at No.6. It is PlayStation Studios' second biggest PC release (behind Helldivers 2), and its biggest internally developed PC launch. After two weeks, it has narrowly sold more than 2022's Spider-Man: Remastered

The final new releases in the Top Ten is the remake of Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door for Nintendo Switch (digital data missing). It's a decent debut for the game, with physical sales above both last year's Super Mario RPG and 2020's Paper Mario: The Origami King

However, it was a slow month for game sales overall, with 1.85 million games sold, a drop of 21% compared with May 2023. Last year, the games market was boosted by the release of The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, plus the release of Hogwarts Legacy on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

Just under 65,000 games consoles were sold in the UK over May (GfK panel data), a drop of 10% on the month before and nearly 33% down on may last year. PS5 was the No.1 format again, but saw sales down 13% over April.

The biggest reason for the tough year-on-year comparison is actually Nintendo Switch, which posted impressive console sales in May 2023 following the release of The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom. Switch sales are also down 9% over the month before.

Xbox Series S and X is in third spot, with sales also down 9% month-on-month.

UK GSD May 2024 Top 10 (Digital and Physical)​

PositionTitle
1V Rising (Level Infinite)
2EA Sports FC 24 (EA)
3Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
4Fallout 4 (Bethesda)
5Helldivers 2 (Sony)
6Ghost of Tsushima: Director's Cut (Sony)
7Hogwarts Legacy (Warner Bros)
8Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (Nintendo)*
9Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Activision Blizzard)
10Cyberpunk 2077 (CD Projekt/Bandai Namco)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
8tqukg.jpg

yazenov

Makes sense. Hellblade 2 was snooze fest game. And 5 hour is not a game.

It was a slow month for game releases. You'd think the game would at least chart in the top 10. Let's see if it can manage to chart in the top 20 (if it's available later on).

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
PS Portal doing great in the U.K. too in May.

Over in accessories, 475,429 products were sold in the UK during May, down 12.6% over April, by up 5% over May last year. The market was driven by the White (No.1) and Midnight Black (No.2) PS5 DualSense controllers, meanwhile the PlayStation Portal Remote Player has jumped back into the Top Ten at No.3.

At some point, Sony needs to actually make enough PS Portals because it's a shame they are sold out in every country all the time for months now.

tmlDan

bought V rising, havent touched it lol

PS Portal doing great in the U.K. too in May.

At some point, Sony needs to actually make enough PS Portals because it's a shame they are sold out in every country all the time for months now.
at the very least they know there's high demand for a portable playstation, this was likely just a market test for something bigger

Last edited:

gerth666

I like the look at that v rising from the trailers. Can it be played single player, or is it a best played co op experience? Tempted to buy it for ps5

Mowcno

Number of Steam Players over the last week. Green is Hellblade 1, Red is Hellblade 2:
gVbg4iH.png

Hellblade 1 is currently the 249th top seller on steam and Hellblade 2 is 347th. Top sellers are sorted by revenue so yes currently Hellblade 1 is grossing more on steam than Hellblade 2.

So not really surprising it didn't make it into the top 10, shame they completely avoided talking about the release in the article at all and we didn't get any info on how it did.

Last edited:

PeteBull

It might not be the same, but for Hi Fi Rush they announced the 2 million player milestone like 2 months after release. So if they post anything about Hellblade 2 it would probably be around the same timeframe.
What if, and here is plottwist, 2m players milestone for hellblade 2 only gets announced 3 months after realease :p

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Our resident Xbox enthusiasts here who played it twice and said it's gets better the second time more than compensate for the players who stopped playing it halfway :p
Sage back?

More mental gymnastics to read from Sage. I can't wait to hear what he learned from his 18th watch of Halo: Season 1.

Sarcastic Season 9 GIF by The Office

XXL

Number of Steam Players over the last week. Green is Hellblade 1, Red is Hellblade 2:
gVbg4iH.png

Hellblade 1 is currently the 249th top seller on steam and Hellblade 2 is 347th. Top sellers are sorted by revenue so yes currently Hellblade 1 is grossing more on steam than Hellblade 2.
To be fair, Hellblade 1 is on sale right now on Steam for $2 or $3.

So alot of people will just buy it and probably never play it. Lol.

But yeah, Hellblade 2 sucks (I tried to play it) and it isn't selling well at all.

I played it on PC Game Pass and I couldn't even imagine how I would feel buying this at full price.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Not much competition with the Switch given the age of the Switch hardware and technical limits.

Watch what happens to the sales charts for PS and Xbox when Switch 2 shows up.

Mistake to take it dogmatically that there’s no competition from Nintendo.

Exactly! Not sure why so many people wanna act like Nintendo isn't competing with Playstation and Xbox.

gVbg4iH.png

So not really surprising it didn't make it into the top 10, shame they completely avoided talking about the release in the article at all and we didn't get any info on how it did.

This is just sad man. Does anybody think it will sell 500k lifetime?

To be fair, Hellblade 1 is on sale right now on Steam for $2 or $3.

So alot of people will just buy it and probably never play it. Lol.

But yeah, Hellblade 2 sucks (I tried to play it) and it isn't selling well at all.

I played it on PC Game Pass and I couldn't even imagine how I would feel buying this at full price.

If that's the case then that means it's selling alot of units. It's 15x cheaper than Hellblade 2. There's just no way Hellblade 1 should be outselling HB2. No way!!!

And allow for local gaming ;-)

That's cost too much.

Reactions: XXL
Top Bottom