• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Monthly Charts | PS5 #1 Hardware, 65% of Resident Evil 4 sales were on PlayStation, 20% on Xbox and 15% on PC (Digital+Physical)

jm89

UK sales of video games and consoles rose during the first quarter of the year, according to the latest market data from GSD and GfK.

GSD data shows that game sales (including physical and digital downloads) rose 1% compared with the same period last year, with just under eight million games sold. It’s an impressive achievement considering Q1 2022 featured major launches such as Pokémon Legends: Arceus, Elden Ring and Horizon: Forbidden West.

The success of the software market was driven by Hogwarts Legacy, which is the fastest-selling video game in the UK outside of FIFA and Call of Duty since Red Dead Redemption 2. It has already outsold two of last year’s best-selling games: LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga and Elden Ring.

The console hardware space is up a substantial 24.2% for the first quarter of the year, GfK data shows. This is due to the PS5, which is now in fully supply but was largely missing from shelves during Q1 last year. PS5 sales are up over 180% for the first three months of the year, and Sony’s new console accounted for over half the market during the quarter.

The success off-set a steep decline in Nintendo Switch sales (down over 25%), which is the No.2 console of the year so far. Xbox Series S and X sales were also down 18% for the first quarter.
Resident Evil 4 comes out top in March

Delving into the March market data, and sales were actually down a little bit. 2.7 million digital and physical games were sold (GSD data), which is a fall of 3% year-on-year.

The Resident Evil 4 remake claimed the No.1 spot, despite launching late in the month. The Capcom game didn't sell quite as strongly as the Resident Evil 2 Remake or the recent Resident Evil Village, but surpassed the performance of 2020's Resident Evil 3 remake.

65% of Resident Evil 4 sales were on PlayStation platforms, 20% on Xbox and 15% on PC.

The horror game’s success meant that Hogwarts Legacy had to settle for second spot last month.

The next biggest new release is WWE 2K23 at No.4. The game's first three weeks of sales were 20% lower than last year's WWE 2K22. However, last year's title was a long time coming, so had more pent-up demand.

Next on the new release slate is the new action adventure game Tchia at No.6. Just in the Top Ten is Metroid Prime Remastered at No.9. Nintendo doesn't share digital data with the charts company, so this is based purely on physical sales. The game actually launched on the Nintendo Eshop first in February.

March 2022 saw continued strong sales for Elden Ring, plus the launch of Gran Turismo 7 on PlayStation formats.

In terms of consoles, GfK panel data shows that sales dropped 3% to 138,000 consoles sold vs February. However, it's a jump of 23% over last March

PS5 was the No.1 console of March, although sales did slip ever-so-slightly (down 2%). The No.2 console was Nintendo Switch, although sales rose (very very slightly) in March compared with February. This was helped by a new Super Mario hardware bundle.The Red Switch bundle accounted for 12.8% of all Switch consoles sold last month, behind the White OLED (23.6%) and the Neon Switch (26.3%).

The next three months will be key for Switch, with the launch of the new Super Mario movie, plus The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom.

Xbox Series S and X sales were down slightly by 10%.

Over in accessories, 616,045 add-on products were sold during March, over 20% up compared with February, but down 3.7% when compared to March 2022 (GfK panel data).

In a rare change, the PS5 DualSense controller fell to No.2 this time. The Xbox Wireless Controller (Carbon Black) rose three places to become the best-selling accessory by volume, with a price cut coming in for the last two weeks of the month (an average fall of £6 to £45.50). This price promotion also boosted Microsoft’s Robot White Controller, rising from No.7 in February to No3 by units sold.

In terms of revenue, the best-seller for March 2023 is Sony’s DualSense Edge Wireless Controller. With a first full month of sales under its belt, the controller rose from No.52 to No.7 by volume, but was No.1 by revenue (it was already No.9 by revenue during February). The controller was initially only available directly via Sony (which isn’t tracked by GfK), but is now on sale at other stores.

UK GSD March 2023 Top 10 (Digital + Physical)​

PositionTitle
1Resident Evil 4 Remake (Capcom)
2Hogwarts Legacy (Warner Bros)
3FIFA 23 (EA)
4WWE 2K23 (2K Games)
5Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
6Tchia (Kepler)
7Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Activision Blizzard)
8Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar)
9Metroid Prime Remastered (Nintendo)*
10NBA 2K23 (2K Games)
* Digital data unavailable

Source: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/hogwa...e-uk-games-market-in-q1-2023-uk-monthy-charts

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
blue butts GIF by Cocoon Central Dance Team

Mr Moose

The success of the software market was driven by Hogwarts Legacy, which is the fastest-selling video game in the UK outside of FIFA and Call of Duty since Red Dead Redemption 2. It has already outsold two of last year’s best-selling games: LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga and Elden Ring.
Nice.
Quite a large split on RE4.

Ozriel

M$FT
Xbox gamers show once again, they are not interested in buying games. And yet they wonder why less and less games appear on their platform.

Interesting. Which western publisher has games skipping the Xbox platform?
I think the biggest story here is PS5 represented more than half of all console sales for the whole quarter. PS5 being up 180% with Switch being down 25% and Xbox being down 18%.

Not really. It’s not a new story that PS5 stock issues are now over and the hardware’s getting a big bump in sales from demand for games like Hogwarts as well as increased availability.

Big story is really about the RE 4 split, and the underlying story that the impact of the economic downturn seems overrated. People ARE spending money on gaming.

Varteras

Gold Member

Not really. It’s not a new story that PS5 stock issues are now over and the hardware’s getting a big bump in sales from demand for games like Hogwarts as well as increased availability.

Big story is really about the RE 4 split, and the underlying story that the impact of the economic downturn seems overrated. People ARE spending money on gaming.

Stop being such a contrarian before I find out where you live and feed you grapes. And my love. All of it.

Lasha

Xbox gamers show once again, they are not interested in buying games. And yet they wonder why less and less games appear on their platform.

The game released for both PS4 and PS5. Capcom did not release an xbox one version of the game. The attach rate could be higher for Xbox since a larger portion of the available market bought the game. Impossible to say that "xbox gamers aren't interested in buying games" based on the provided data.

I’m talking about the responses in this thread, not the average consumer. I agree with you on that.

Who is saying they want Sony to have a monopoly?

I mean if these charts are based off sales and consumers are choosing one brand over the other. Congratulating the winner isn't exactly saying you want them to have a monopoly.

Still the results are impressive for Sony.

Topher

Gold Member

60/40 split between PS and Xbox? Sounds like healthy competition to me. Expect the second half of the year will bring that closer to 50/50 with Xbox's upcoming games.

Edit: Yeah, I get why everyone is laughing. I phrased that poorly. Clearly, Xbox is not going to come close to evening out the market with PS. What I meant was that when the Xbox games hit, then sales will be closer to 50/50. I could be wrong there but we will see.

Last edited:

Three

Resident evil isn't from a "western publisher" neither are the ones skipping. So I'm not sure why you're asking for a very specific thing that doesn't even apply to what was being discussed: somebody suggesting the resident evil 4 remake sales split showing they don't buy games. Also BG3, the rest have been bought by MS 😉.

Last edited:
Let's be real, xone version would not have changed that split much.
Exactly. The reason why they didn't do an Xbox One version is literally because they didn't have data that supported it would do good numbers.

60/40 split between PS and Xbox? Sounds like healthy competition to me. Expect the second half of the year will bring that closer to 50/50 with Xbox's upcoming games.
That tweet is from 2 months ago...it barely included this quarters numbers, which means at this point the gap is bigger than 60/40. And what Xbox upcoming games will make this gap decrease, when PS5 has Spider-Man 2, Final Fantasy XVI, possibly Silent Hill 2 and other games yet to be announced and the new PS5 sku with a price decrease later in the year?

If anything the gap will get bigger...not smaller. Starfield isn't some kind of miracle worker here specially when it's fighting against PS5 exclusive games, which Xbox doesn't have anyymore.

Rac3r

Well a lot of them have convinced themselves that subs and MAUs are the only metrics that matter now. They'll hold out until these titles hit Game Pass.

Hopefully these people wise up. Microsoft is probably salivating over the prospect of removing physical/digital ownership completely.

Topher

Gold Member
Exactly. The reason why they didn't do an Xbox One version is literally because they didn't have data that supported it would do good numbers.

That tweet is from 2 months ago...it barely included this quarters numbers, which means at this point the gap is bigger than 60/40. And what Xbox upcoming games will make this gap decrease, when PS5 has Spider-Man 2, Final Fantasy XVI, possibly Silent Hill 2 and other games yet to be announced and the new PS5 sku with a price decrease later in the year?

If anything the gap will get bigger...not smaller. Starfield isn't some kind of miracle worker here specially when it's fighting against PS5 exclusive games, which Xbox doesn't have anyymore.

I believe he is speaking generally about market share, not about any specific month. And yeah, I expect Starfield to move a lot of Xbox consoles as there are going to be a lot of people who have PlayStation already that want to play Starfield. Starfield will be a big release.

Starfield will be console exclusive and for console gamers, that is all that matters.

Last edited:

j.k.2021

Banned
So none of those 50 million have upgraded to Series S or X in the last 3 years???

What kind of math is that???
50% of series s users are new to ecosystems and it's 60% of sales.Series x/s sales are around 21 million so at best only 10 million have upgraded.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
So none of those 50 million have upgraded to Series S or X in the last 3 years???

You do know your in a UK thread right? of course people have upgraded, but there will be loads that havent. Just like there are hundreds upon hundreds of thousands of people who haven't upgraded from a PS4 and bought a PS5.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I remember reading a recent debate in the recent NPD thread and UK numbers came up.

I wonder does this help or hurt that discussion, lol.

Three

It's Brad Smith piechart maths 101
You do know your in a UK thread right? of course people have upgraded, but there will be loads that havent. Just like there are hundreds upon hundreds of thousands of people who haven't upgraded from a PS4 and bought a PS5.
Are you saying UK gamers don't upgrade as much?

I remember reading a recent debate in the recent NPD thread and UK numbers came up.

I wonder does this help or hurt that discussion, lol.

What was it about?

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

What was it about?

No the poster was mentioning 50 million sales or something...which is no where near what the uk number is.

What we need is a split between PS4 and PS5 and then do the math to what the split would be for Series vs Xbox one and you have a number. Pretty simple really and no need to say silly comments like....Why hasnt every single xbox owner upgraded to a series console when we know there will be tons of both xbox one and PS4 owners who havent upgraded to current gen yet.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

What was it about?
I think the main person in that debate was banned. But it was a semi meltdown about Series console sales and them pulling numbers out of an alternate reality..

At this point it is what it is. Maybe it will get better later this year. Who knows.

Last edited:
Top Bottom