• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Monthly Charts | PS5 #1 Hardware, 65% of Resident Evil 4 sales were on PlayStation, 20% on Xbox and 15% on PC (Digital+Physical)

yazenov

It will be really interesting to see the split for Western games where there is a Xbox One version (such as Diablo 4)or its next gen only on both ecosystems (such as Jedi Survivor).

It's not the UK, but we have the sales split for a Western game Hogwarts Legacy (which is currently next-gen only since they delayed the last-gen version) in Spain. The splits are around 80:20 in favor of PlayStation. And we can extrapolate that data for the whole of Europe as well which will result in an overall similar split.

Last edited:

Lasha

Now I don't know what to believe.

Believe what the data shows: the proportional sales of re5 by platform. Anything else is hard to deduce without actual sales figures. Trying to infer nonsense like "Xbox gamers don't buy games" is silly. If 60% of Xbox series owners in the UK buy a game only half of the combined PS4/5 player base needs to buy a copy to make a 70-30 split.

Believe what the data shows: the proportional sales of re5 by platform. Anything else is hard to deduce without actual sales figures. Trying to infer nonsense like "Xbox gamers don't buy games" is silly. If 60% of Xbox series owners in the UK buy a game only half of the combined PS4/5 player base needs to buy a copy to make a 70-30 split.
wow. this is a mighty spin, I can see Greenbear using it.

Lasha

I was refering to the "proportional sales".

I could see Greenbear saying RE4 sold better on Xbox proportionally speaking.

I'm unfamiliar. The stat presented is proportional. Xbox may have a better attach rate based on the series share of sales. The difference is slight and not possible to determine without analysing unit data.

I'm unfamiliar. The stat presented is proportional. Xbox may have a better attach rate based on the series share of sales. The difference is slight and not possible to determine without analysing unit data.
who knows. But i dont think it would matter or it would be that significant.

the fact that PC only accounted for 15% even when taking in digital sales is wacky, the game was topping steam charts at launch. Playstation must have a major grip on the UK market for even PC sales to be surpassed
Most games still sell better on console than PC. Console gaming is not dying, not even close.

You really made him mad.
are you sure that is a he?

because that reply triggered some PTSD on me when a girl gets mad at something that you said.

p3Y9EH7.gif

Luigi Mario

The success of the software market was driven by Hogwarts Legacy, which is the fastest-selling video game in the UK outside of FIFA and Call of Duty since Red Dead Redemption 2. It has already outsold two of last year’s best-selling games: LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga and Elden Ring.

Dayum Hogwarts
It is going to be a very long year for some people, especially for members of a certain forum.

Last edited:

SHA

Capcom wants these numbers, its all Capcom to validate their argument for their next game support, I don't trust an ip like sfiv with 8ms units sold to lack an arm and leg to support its successor across all platforms, there's clearly something fishy we don't know about.

I said we were going to see this more often. Even big 3rd party games are struggling to sell on xbox. As nice as gamepass is, it has definitely hurt the xbox brand overall. Its made it easier for sony because publishers are more reliant on them to sell their games. That's why Microsoft are in panic throw money at it mode. The focus on gamepass has backed them into a corner.

I said we were going to see this more often. Even big 3rd party games are struggling to sell on xbox. As nice as gamepass is, it has definitely hurt the xbox brand overall. Its made it easier for sony because publishers are more reliant on them to sell their games. That's why Microsoft are in panic throw money at it mode. The focus on gamepass has backed them into a corner.
Microsoft went all-in for Gamepass. There is no plan B. If Gamepass doesn't change the entire industry then it isn't worth doing on its own.

Console gaming was once about third parties living in the hardware ecosystem and pay the platform owner rent. Now with Gamepass it is Microsoft paying developers rent to run their games on Xbox.

What is the difference? The difference is that with the original model, third parties do the hard work. The Gamepass model has MICROSOFT do the heavy lifting while the developers collect paychecks.

If a third party lose money then for Playstation or Nintendo, they don't get affected by a failed game. But if a Gamepass Game failed, Microsoft already paid for the game and took the losses while the developer walks away unscathed.

Thirty7ven

Banned
If ps4 is a small %, x one certainly ain't making anymore of a dent.

Well of course, why do you think Xbox One versions are disappearing?

Fanboys trying to latch on to PS4 as an excuse are hilarious. We know by now that PS5 versions sell a lot more.

Some people need to learn how to accept that gamepass has pros and cons. One of the cons is that MS is training their audience to not buy games.

Poltz

Well of course, why do you think Xbox One versions are disappearing?

Fanboys trying to latch on to PS4 as an excuse are hilarious. We know by now that PS5 versions sell a lot more.

Some people need to learn how to accept that gamepass has pros and cons. One of the cons is that MS is training their audience to not buy games.
Capcom want to sell games in Japan.

Last edited:

Woopah

It's not the UK, but we have the sales split for a Western game Hogwarts Legacy (which is currently next-gen only since they delayed the last-gen version) in Spain. The splits are around 80:20 in favor of PlayStation. And we can extrapolate that data for the whole of Europe as well which will result in an overall similar split.

[/URL][/URL]
We can use that for continental Europe, but I would expect UK to be different. In Spain the hardware is around:

PS5 - 663,000
XBS - 219,000

So a 3:1 advantage, much bigger than in the UK.

Of course software does not scale linearly with hardware and different games will have different splits.

In the UK the COD split was around 55:45 to PlayStation, while in France the FIFA split was at least 85:15 in favour of PS (not counting the Switch version).

onQ123

Finally, Chris decided to share the more meaningful data, leaving no room for ambiguity.

Now it is clear as day: no physical only sales, no last-gen exclusive sales.
I think he might have made a mistake something seems off
Why did PS5 share go up so high after removing PC & PS4?

I thought it was around 70% with PS4 included but I don't have the actual numbers to calculate & just removed percentages & recalculated so I could be way off 😂

Thirty7ven

Banned
Finally, Chris decided to share the more meaningful data, leaving no room for ambiguity.

Now it is clear as day: no physical only sales, no last-gen exclusive sales.

Well console sales mattered until they didn’t matter and then mattered and now definitely don’t matter anymore. Game sales mattered, then physical didn’t matter and now they don’t matter at all anymore.

Either that or pretend that the info doesn’t exist.

Ladies and gentlemen, THIS is the result of the damage Common Core Math has done to our youth.

Glad to see Chris shut down these disingenuous MFers. Because that's what it is at this point; these dudes KNOW PS4 barely accounts for much of the sales (besides Japan, but that is a whole different situation and not applicable worldwide), they are just fishing for excuses to downplay the outright horrendous Xbox sales splits for these 3P games, especially Japanese ones.

What's funnier is I've also seen people say that these sales splits are mainly due to Sony getting marketing rights. Except, we see nearly the exact same sales splits in favor of PS for games where Sony have no marketing rights! So it's fair to say, it's just down to one platform cultivating a base that actually wants to buy these games at volume, and another which has completely botched things up in that regard, particularly for 3P software.

And these same people like Peter are the ones who probably have the gall to keep asking why Final Fantasy isn't on Xbox. Look at the sales data, bro. That would tell you everything if you knew basic math!!

Capcom wants these numbers, its all Capcom to validate their argument for their next game support, I don't trust an ip like sfiv with 8ms units sold to lack an arm and leg to support its successor across all platforms, there's clearly something fishy we don't know about.

Are you accusing Capcom of intentionally suppressing availability of RE4R on Xbox to make PlayStation sales look better? Why on Earth would they do that? They're a publicly traded 3P publisher; if anything they'd want more sales on Xbox because that would mean more sales overall.

Also you're underestimating just how badly Capcom were off financially at around the start of last gen. Rising costs of HD development for 7th-gen systems plus a good number of underperforming games (dunno if the Lost Planet games met sales expectations but it's likely the sequels didn't, for example. Can't remember how well Asura's Wrath did sales-wise) and just various debts put them in a pretty bad situation.

It's why they reached out to platform holders like Microsoft (Dead Rising 3) and Sony (Street Fighter 5) to help co-fund some of their games. If you want to blame lack of SFV on Xbox on someone, blame MS. They didn't see a need since they already had Killer Instinct which was arguably the most popular of the new fighters from 2013 - 2015 (it had more mass market appeal than GG Xrd; USFIV PS4 was just a port from 360/PS3 not a new game).

Last edited:
Microsoft went all-in for Gamepass. There is no plan B. If Gamepass doesn't change the entire industry then it isn't worth doing on its own.

Well then it's already over. Wrap it up. Game Pass doesn't have the chops to change the industry because the model is not sustainable.

Console gaming was once about third parties living in the hardware ecosystem and pay the platform owner rent.

That's what console gaming still is. It hasn't changed; vast majority of industry revenue is still based on this proven model.

Now with Gamepass it is Microsoft paying developers rent to run their games on Xbox.

But look at the scale of the devs they pay. For Day 1, it's nothing but smaller indie and maybe a few AA devs, but nothing AAA 3P-wise. The only 3P AAA they pay for into the service are either extremely old titles, or games that were unmitigated bombs (Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, etc.). And in that case, Game Pass acts as a safety next. Not a great one, but it's something.

What is the difference? The difference is that with the original model, third parties do the hard work. The Gamepass model has MICROSOFT do the heavy lifting while the developers collect paychecks.

And the original model works better because the 3P's financial success is not beholden to payouts from a platform holder based on metrics said platform holder can easily change, or provide inconsistencies on, or obfuscate to their advantage (and to the disadvantage of the 3P).

The only reason the Game Pass model can even theoretically work is because of the cash flow Microsoft generates as a conglomerate, from non-gaming initiatives primarily, allowing them to subsidize the model as they do the payouts. But even they came to the conclusion that paying Day 1 for AAA titles is not feasible as they'd be paying hundreds of millions per game, and only for a limited period of time.

So to try and make the model sustainable in the long-term, they are buying publishers outright. But that isn't sustainable either because if the only way Game Pass can work is by acquiring all the big 3P publishers, that destabilizes the independent 3P market and removes options for all competitors wholesale in what should be a fair and open competition market. Eventually the acquiring of publishers for content just to make a model wholly specific to a single company sustainable, will be shut down.

If a third party lose money then for Playstation or Nintendo, they don't get affected by a failed game. But if a Gamepass Game failed, Microsoft already paid for the game and took the losses while the developer walks away unscathed.

Again, if you look at the scale of games MS have paid for Day 1 in the service, they are indies and smaller AA style games. Not 3P AAA, because MS even with their cash resources, have determined long-term that approach is simply not sustainable for the expected returns.

SHA

Glad to see Chris shut down these disingenuous MFers. Because that's what it is at this point; these dudes KNOW PS4 barely accounts for much of the sales (besides Japan, but that is a whole different situation and not applicable worldwide), they are just fishing for excuses to downplay the outright horrendous Xbox sales splits for these 3P games, especially Japanese ones.

What's funnier is I've also seen people say that these sales splits are mainly due to Sony getting marketing rights. Except, we see nearly the exact same sales splits in favor of PS for games where Sony have no marketing rights! So it's fair to say, it's just down to one platform cultivating a base that actually wants to buy these games at volume, and another which has completely botched things up in that regard, particularly for 3P software.

And these same people like Peter are the ones who probably have the gall to keep asking why Final Fantasy isn't on Xbox. Look at the sales data, bro. That would tell you everything if you knew basic math!!

Are you accusing Capcom of intentionally suppressing availability of RE4R on Xbox to make PlayStation sales look better? Why on Earth would they do that? They're a publicly traded 3P publisher; if anything they'd want more sales on Xbox because that would mean more sales overall.

Also you're underestimating just how badly Capcom were off financially at around the start of last gen. Rising costs of HD development for 7th-gen systems plus a good number of underperforming games (dunno if the Lost Planet games met sales expectations but it's likely the sequels didn't, for example. Can't remember how well Asura's Wrath did sales-wise) and just various debts put them in a pretty bad situation.

It's why they reached out to platform holders like Microsoft (Dead Rising 3) and Sony (Street Fighter 5) to help co-fund some of their games. If you want to blame lack of SFV on Xbox on someone, blame MS. They didn't see a need since they already had Killer Instinct which was arguably the most popular of the new fighters from 2013 - 2015 (it had more mass market appeal than GG Xrd; USFIV PS4 was just a port from 360/PS3 not a new game).
I had fun with ki ,but the lack of sfv was clearly a huge mistake ,I don't see how it help not supporting a certain game especially if it's a major game, yeah ,it's bigger than dmc and even resident evil, it's big.

If I’m reading these numbers correctly, can we finally end the age old debate as to why PlayStation and Nintendo get more Japanese support or why certain games don’t show up on XBOX? RE4 is about as big as it gets for Japanese games or gaming in general and the split is still large. I think RE Village had similar, if not a larger gap as well. XBOX gamers just don’t buy and support near as many games as the competition and this has been going on long before Gamepass.

Last edited:
Top Bottom