• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Monthly Sales Updates - Elden Ring and Nintendo Switch come out top in February

reksveks

2.4 million digital and physical video games, 93,000 consoles and over 600,000 accessories were sold in the UK during February 2022.

It was a month that saw a number of major games released -- including Elden Ring, Horizon Forbidden West and Dying Light 2. However, software sales were down 14% in February 2022 compared with the same period in 2021, according to GSD sales figures.

1.46 million games sold were digital downloads, which is down 17% compared with the same period last year. Physical game sales reached over 900,000 units, which is a drop of 9% compared with February 2021.

SLOW MONTH FOR CONSOLE SALES
It was a quiet month for UK games console sales, as supply issues for PS5 and Xbox Series X continue.

According to GfK figures, 93,000 consoles were sold last month, which is a drop of 24% over January. All three platforms saw a drop in sales compared with the month before, and only Xbox Series S and X saw an increase in sales compared with February 2021.

Nintendo Switch was the best-selling machine, but sales are down by over 30% compared to the same period the year before. However, it is significantly up in comparison to February 2019 and February 2020 (pre-pandemic levels).

So far this year console sales are down 33.4%, primarily due to a decline in the availability of PlayStation 5.

Summary; 93k consoles sold, Switch #1, Xbox #2, PS #3. (all seem to be down YoY but need to check)
Jan 22 sales = 122.368k
Jan + Feb 22 = 215.368k
Jan + Feb 21 = 323.37k

XBOX CONTROLLERS JUMP UP ACCESSORIES CHARTS

A drop off in console sales inevitably results in a decline in the accessories market. Over 604,000 add-on products were sold last month, a drop of 21% compared with January and a fall of 28% compared with February last year.

Despite stock issues for PS5, the console's DualSense Wireless Controller returned to No.1, but it was run close by two Xbox controllers -- the Black Wired Controller (at No.2) and the Shock Blue Wireless version (at No.3). Last month's No.1, the PS4 DualShock 4 controller, falls to No.4. The Pulse Red Xbox controller completes the Top Five.

GSD February 2022 Top 20 Games (Digital + Physical)

PositionTitle
1Elden Ring (Bandai Namco)
2Horizon Forbidden West (Sony)
3FIFA 22 (EA)
4Pokémon Legends: Arceus (Nintendo)*
5Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
6Dying Light 2: Stay Human (Techland)*
7Total War: Warhammer III (Sega)
8Call of Duty: Vanguard (Activision Blizzard)
9Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar)
10NBA 2K22 (2K Games)

Source: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...ch-come-out-top-in-february-uk-monthly-charts

onesvenus

Slow month overall. I was expecting Sony to have more consoles available due to them releasing Horizon and GT7. I was wrong.

I read someone here last week saying it would be a really big February for PS in the UK because it looked like they were getting big shipments all the time 🙃

It was DJ12 DJ12 talking about March, my bad

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
You know if Sony dont have consoles available for a month they have two big releases planned that shit is still dire. I wonder how far behind PS4 they are now. Let’s crank that ps5 pro out Sony
…it’s the only option.

reksveks

Some reason quotes isn't working for me but there is a difference between

"just the ps5 being supply constrained caused such a dramatic decrease"

and

"primarily due to a decline in the availability of PlayStation 5."

One statement suggests that there is one factor, and one suggest there was multiple factors but the largest factor (doesn't tell you how big that factor is relatively to other ones) was PS5 supply.

You know if Sony dont have consoles available for a month they have two big releases planned that shit is still dire. I wonder how far behind PS4 they are now. Let’s crank that ps5 pro out Sony
…it’s the only option.
The nuclear option. Make it cost $700 with the way consoles are selling above that right now you bet it'll sell out.

It was a quiet month for UK games console sales, as supply issues for PS5 and Xbox Series X continue.

According to GfK figures, 93,000 consoles were sold last month, which is a drop of 24% over January. All three platforms saw a drop in sales compared with the month before, and only Xbox Series S and X saw an increase in sales compared with February 2021.

Nintendo Switch was the best-selling machine, but sales are down by over 30% compared to the same period the year before. However, it is significantly up in comparison to February 2019 and February 2020 (pre-pandemic levels).

So far this year console sales are down 33.4%, primarily due to a decline in the availability of PlayStation 5.

kingfey

Banned
remember_spinal remember_spinal , the same thing for xbox, but xss hides the xsx supply constrained.

Other than that, my guess would be, Sony wanted the console to be sold on February, to meet their game release schedule. Which explains why they were down on February.

I expect them to sell alot on February, taking the number 1 spot. If not, then both ps5/ps5d and XsX are in huge supply constrained.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
All three platforms saw a drop in sales compared with the month before, and only Xbox Series S and X saw an increase in sales compared with February 2021.

lotr3-movie-screencaps.com-.jpg

:messenger_blowing_kiss:

Fredrik

me too, so we’ll deserved. Genuinely one of the best games ever made and I’m not even anywhere near done with it. Legendary stuff.
I’m still exploring Limgrave, Stormveil Castle and Castle Morne and it’s already on my best game of all time list.

Things do change but these are my top 5 games of all time as of today (March 13, 2022):

1. Super Metroid
2. Zelda BOTW
3. Skyrim
4. Elden Ring
5. Metroid Dread

Metroid Dread used to be #2 but it eventually stumbled down because of too much exploration hand-holding, too easy to finish 100%.

Elden Ring has been climbing my lists from day 1. The gameplay is spot on and the exploration is absolute top tier. Feels like I find something cool everytime I play. It deserves all the praise and sales.

It’s absurd difficulty on bosses is keeping it back though, I doubt I’ll ever be able to finish it.

On the other hand, I haven’t finished Skyrim either and it’s my #3, not because of the difficulty but because I always end up side-tracking instead of doing main quests or want to restart and play it differently.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I’m still exploring Limgrave, Stormveil Castle and Castle Morne and it’s already on my best game of all time list.

Things do change but these are my top 5 games of all time as of today (March 13, 2022):

1. Super Metroid
2. Zelda BOTW
3. Skyrim
4. Elden Ring
5. Metroid Dread

Metroid Dread used to be #2 but it eventually stumbled down because of too much exploration hand-holding, too easy to finish 100%.

Elden Ring has been climbing my lists from day 1. The gameplay is spot on and the exploration is absolute top tier. Feels like I find something cool everytime I play. It deserves all the praise and sales.

It’s absurd difficulty on bosses is keeping it back though, I doubt I’ll ever be able to finish it.

On the other hand, I haven’t finished Skyrim either and it’s my #3, not because of the difficulty but because I always end up side-tracking instead of doing main quests or want to restart and play it differently.

im the same, still not even been to the capital city, I’m too busy mopping up caves and places in the early game.

its just incredible, and one that does actually deserve the title of one of the best games ever made and a masterpiece.

Fredrik

im the same, still not even been to the capital city, I’m too busy mopping up caves and places in the early game.

its just incredible, and one that does actually deserve the title of one of the best games ever made and a masterpiece.
Yup. Lots of us were too focused on the visuals pre-launch, downplaying it, I’m gladly feasting on crows now when it’s clear that it’s with content and gameplay this game is steamrolling everything else.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Yup. Lots of us were too focused on the visuals pre-launch, downplaying it, I’m gladly feasting on crows now when it’s clear that it’s with content and gameplay this game is steamrolling everything else.

prime example that graphics don’t mean shit when you have absolutely top tier gameplay and design.

I actually think it looks decent as I love the art design.

give me gameplay all day!

Dr Bass

1. Super Metroid
2. Zelda BOTW
3. Skyrim
4. Elden Ring
5. Metroid Dread

That is a hell of a list(I think you have good taste haha). I’m about to finish horizon and will grab this next. Maybe tomorrow. If it’s that good I’m looking forward to it.

Fredrik

That is a hell of a list(I think you have good taste haha). I’m about to finish horizon and will grab this next. Maybe tomorrow. If it’s that good I’m looking forward to it.
Horizon Forbidden West is great too 👍 I’m gonna continue going through that once I hit a wall on Elden Ring.

ER honestly looks bad compared to HFW, so expect to be disappointed at first, but the open world on the other hand is quite possibly the best one yet when it comes to content and exploration. Just take it slow and explore and you’ll love it!

Mozza

Crazy how just the ps5 being supply constrained caused such a dramatic decrease in overall console sales. The demand for this thing is unparalleled
The fact they are hard to get can drive demand too, even more so with all those internet news sites and social media accounts telling everyone everyday that there is no stock, and will not be for ages, of course with those commission links to the retailers as well. ;)

I read the PS5 was still tracking pretty close the the PS4, even with supply issues, just how many of those are going to resellers is not clear, but it's pretty easy to make money scalping these consoles, which in turn does not help with availability.

Just before Christmas there were many times in the U.K where single game and extra controller PS5 bundles were available for many hours on various sites, perhaps bundles is the best way to combat this.

kingfey

Banned
Nah that depends on pricing, logistics and BOM. None of these are flat numbers.
You also have to account the budget allocation for the design and the warehouse buildings. You will have to recoup those costs too. You will waste time and man labor making the new version, instead of speeding the production of the other version.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The comeback is also strong in Spain.

1100 Xbox (S+X) sold versus 130 PS5 sold last week.

The second best-selling console was Xbox Series S with 750 units, Xbox Series X sold 350 units, PS5 130 units, PS4 15 units and Xbox One 5 units.

kingfey

Banned
The comeback is also strong in Spain.

1100 Xbox (S+X) sold versus 130 PS5 sold last week.

Spain is like Japan. Xbox would need a long way to hit the total amount of ps5 in that region.

Spain is big with fifa. Sony sponsors fifa, so people are more familiar with PS. Unless MS takes the marketing for fifa, it would have tough time to crack Spain and closer areas.

Top Bottom