• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Physical Chart: Horizon Forbidden West displaces Xenoblade Chronicles 3 at the top of the charts. GT7 back to the top 5. Demon's Souls top 20.

Horizon Forbidden West displaces Xenoblade Chronicles 3 at the top of the charts​

Horizon Forbidden West has clambered back onto the top of the UK Entertainment Software charts after being briefly dethroned by Xenoblade Chronicles 3.
Overall, it was a strong week for titles with PlayStation links. Demon Souls returned to the chart at number 20, suggesting PS5 restocks have helped boost sales, while the PlayStation Summer Sale appears to have boosted the prospects of games such as The Quarry and Gran Turismo 7.

Source

Full top 40

LWTWTitleAge RatingLabel
21HORIZON FORBIDDEN WESTPEGI 16+SONY COMPUTER ENT.
42NINTENDO SWITCH SPORTSPEGI 7+NINTENDO
33LEGO STAR WARS: THE SKYWALKER SAGAPEGI 7+WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE
54MARIO KART 8 DELUXEPEGI 3+NINTENDO
135GRAN TURISMO 7PEGI 3+SONY COMPUTER ENT.
76MINECRAFTPEGI 7+NINTENDO
67F1 22PEGI 3+EA SPORTS
118POKEMON LEGENDS: ARCEUSPEGI 7+NINTENDO
99ANIMAL CROSSING: NEW HORIZONSPEGI 3+NINTENDO
110XENOBLADE CHRONICLES 3PEGI 12+NINTENDO
1211FIFA 22PEGI 3+EA SPORTS
1412GRAND THEFT AUTO VPEGI 18+ROCKSTAR
2413BATTLEFIELD 2042PEGI 16+EA GAMES
1614KIRBY AND THE FORGOTTEN LANDPEGI 7+NINTENDO
2515WWE 2K22PEGI 16+2K
1516MARIO STRIKERS: BATTLE LEAGUE FOOTBALLPEGI 7+NINTENDO
1717MARIO PARTY SUPERSTARSPEGI 3+NINTENDO
2218THE QUARRYPEGI 18+2K
2119THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: BREATH OF THE WILDPEGI 12+NINTENDO
20DEMON'S SOULSPEGI 18+SONY COMPUTER ENT.
1921SUPER MARIO 3D WORLD + BOWSER'S FURYPEGI 7+NINTENDO
2722LEGO HARRY POTTER COLLECTIONPEGI 7+WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE
23MARVEL'S SPIDER-MAN: MILES MORALESPEGI 16+SONY COMPUTER ENT.
1824LEGO JURASSIC WORLDPEGI 7+WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE
2025FAR CRY 6PEGI 18+UBISOFT
2626GRAND THEFT AUTO: THE TRILOGY - THE DEFINITIVE EDITIONPEGI 18+ROCKSTAR
2827SUPER MARIO ODYSSEYPEGI 7+NINTENDO
828TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES: SHREDDER'S REVENGEPEGI 12+MERGE GAMES
29POKEMON SHINING PEARLPEGI 7+NINTENDO
3430NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. U DELUXEPEGI 3+NINTENDO
3031LEGO MARVEL SUPER HEROES 2PEGI 7+WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE
3332RING FIT ADVENTUREPEGI 7+NINTENDO
3533MINECRAFT DUNGEONSPEGI 7+MOJANG
2934POKEMON BRILLIANT DIAMONDPEGI 7+NINTENDO
1035DIGIMON SURVIVEPEGI 12+BANDAI NAMCO ENTERTAINMENT
3136ELDEN RINGPEGI 16+BANDAI NAMCO ENTERTAINMENT
3737LUIGI'S MANSION 3PEGI 7+NINTENDO
3238ASSASSIN'S CREED VALHALLAPEGI 18+UBISOFT
3939SUPER SMASH BROS. ULTIMATEPEGI 12+NINTENDO
3840LEGO MARVEL SUPER HEROESPEGI 7+WARNER BROS. INTERAC

More PS5 restocks, plus summer sales, made some of the best PS5 games increase or go back to tbe charts, from Horizon, to Gran Turismo, plus Demon's Souls and Miles coming back.

Interestingly, Demon's Souls sold more than Miles Morales.

Xenoblade had a huge decrease, from 1 to 10...and Digimon Survive went from 10 to...35. ouch.

Last edited:
Good that PS5s are getting slightly easier to get. I haven’t bought Xenoblade Chronicles 3 yet but I did pick up the Definitive Edition of the first one. I only played half way through on the 3DS so hopefully I have a much better experience on the Switch.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I'm assuming everyone who wanted Xenoblade 3 bought it... I know I did.

Need to buy that collectors set when it finally releases in September though.

Astral Dog

Xenoblade gave a good fight all things considered against the monster that is Horizon, the later is simply a much bigger series, though im surprised by Switch Sports at #2

Xenoblade dropped like a rock, its not the big breakout sales hit a lot of people thought it would be. Maybe just bad timing releasing a big JRPG in the middle of summer where people are out and about.

I’ve enjoyed the game so far but it is a monumental task to get through it, I’ll probably shelve it for a bit with all the indie games coming out this month i really wanna play like Rollerdrome, Midnight Fight Express, Cult of Lamb, etc.

Live A Live never stood a chance.

Demon’s souls re-entering the top 20 is a nice sight, probably a good discount on it now that its on PS Plus extra. Sony need to release the PC port early next year before the Elden Ring Buzz completely wears off

Last edited:

yazenov

Xenoblade dropped like a rock, its not the big breakout sales hit a lot of people thought it would be. Maybe just bad timing releasing a big JRPG in the middle of summer where people are out and about.

I’ve enjoyed the game so far but it is a monumental task to get through it, I’ll probably shelve it for a bit with all the indie games coming out this month i really wanna play like Rollerdrome, Midnight Fight Express, Cult of Lamb, etc.

Demon’s souls re-entering the top 20 is a nice sight, probably a good discount on it now that its on PS Plus extra. Sony need to release the PC port early next year before the Elden Ring Buzz completely wears off

Yeah it did respectable numbers (slight increase compared to part 2), but it wasn't a huge hit some were hoping for given the increase in Switch userbase and the good reviews. I guess Xenoblade Chronicles 2 being a piece of shit game did some damage to the franchise growth.

Yeah it did respectable numbers (slight increase compared to part 2), but it wasn't a huge hit some were hoping for given the increase in Switch userbase and the good reviews. I guess Xenoblade Chronicles 2 being a piece of shit game did some damage to the franchise growth.

I think if they had kept the original dates for splatoon and this it would have done better. Splatoon feels more like a mid summer game and this feels more like a back to school fall game.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Horizon rocks

GT7 shit the beds when they pull the always online stuff for Single Player mode it shouldve been higher

Demon Souls also doing great there

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Video Games Thinking GIF by PlayStation

Bundles baby

If Horizon is able to beat Xenoblade, sales of the latter must be extremely low. Probably 3k-ish.

While those numbers could be true, it doesnt really correlate to horizons bundled sales. PS5’s are getting huge shipments right now. Ultimately i think Xenoblade as a series has just flattened sales wise, its selling just slightly above 2 right now

Last edited:

Woopah

The UK isn't that strong of a market for Nintendo's JRPGs. They are doing better in Spain and probably in France too.

Nautilus

Banned
The UK isn't that strong of a market for Nintendo's JRPGs. They are doing better in Spain and probably in France too.
No, it's not that. Xenoblade was never the monster seller that Nintendo's biggest IPs are. Its not (yet) an IP that sells 10 million units.

So its going to see growth and do better than XC 2, but its growth will be a normal one. XC 2 did 1 million in its first month, and XC DE did 1,36. XC 3 will probably do closer to 2 million in that same timeframe. Its a huge improvement, but its not anything bonkers.

People, as always, just came with the wrong expectations.

Woopah

No, it's not that. Xenoblade was never the monster seller that Nintendo's biggest IPs are. Its not (yet) an IP that sells 10 million units.

So its going to see growth and do better than XC 2, but its growth will be a normal one. XC 2 did 1 million in its first month, and XC DE did 1,36. XC 3 will probably do closer to 2 million in that same timeframe. Its a huge improvement, but its not anything bonkers.

People, as always, just came with the wrong expectations.
It will definitely do better than X2 globally. I'm just saying that lately we have seen Nintendo JRPGs selling better in Spain than the UK, even though Spain is a smaller market.

Nautilus

Banned
It will definitely do better than X2 globally. I'm just saying that lately we have seen Nintendo JRPGs selling better in Spain than the UK, even though Spain is a smaller market.
Oh, sure. Must be because Nintendo as a brand is simply bigger there.

TheTony316

Xenoblade 3 is doing well. It's not the big jump you'd expect after all the hype but the series overall is growing. I remember the first game wasn't even supposed to release in the west when it originally launched in Japan.

Great to see PS5 HW & software sales improving. I think 2023 will be the true start of the PS5 generation.

Last edited:
My sales prediction :

1. Horizon will sell 20+ million life time
2. GT7 will sell 15 million lifetime
3. Demon souls will sell 5 million lifetime because new FROM fan who loved Elden Ring will buy it.

Seems pretty accurate. I think the continued marketing of Horizon, bundles, VR game and multimedia projects will push it over 20m for sure.

2. Not really sure the type of legs GT7 will have it seems stuck inbetween an on-going service game and a standard gt. Not really sure what sonys expectations are for it.

3. Demon’s souls can get there with a PC release and another boost from elden ring. Its gonna have a hard time selling on playstation without deep discounts though

Ansphn

Seems pretty accurate. I think the continued marketing of Horizon, bundles, VR game and multimedia projects will push it over 20m for sure.

2. Not really sure the type of legs GT7 will have it seems stuck inbetween an on-going service game and a standard gt. Not really sure what sonys expectations are for it.

3. Demon’s souls can get there with a PC release and another boost from elden ring. Its gonna have a hard time selling on playstation without deep discounts though
We won't see another GT until PS6. I think it will transition into a live service mid-gen.

Horizon rocks

GT7 shit the beds when they pull the always online stuff for Single Player mode it shouldve been higher

Demon Souls also doing great there

GT has almost infinite legs. It will continue to sell steadily up until the next one hits...
It's always been the case with GT titles: They do not light the charts on fire upon release, but after a couple of years Sony announces the sales figures, and they are always good.
Part of why it does not evolve as quickly as its competitors, imo; The audiance is always there...🤷‍♂️

pasterpl

Those Horizo bundles are doing their job. But this is physical sales, arent uk sales like 80% digital already?

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I'm assuming everyone who wanted Xenoblade 3 bought it... I know I did.

Need to buy that collectors set when it finally releases in September though.
That's exactly why they are releasing in Sept. They know every fan would have already bought it....then double dip for the collectors set.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
That's exactly why they are releasing in Sept. They know every fan would have already bought it....then double dip for the collectors set.

Actually the collectors set in the EU will no longer include a game due to the delay, essentially they told us to buy the regular game and then will sell the set gameless at a lower price for those interested to allow us to upgrade.

Astral Dog

it depends what you mean, im not sure a lot of people were thinking it was going to be a "big breakout hit" since Xenoblade 2 was already a big step up for this series,this one should follow with some good numbers, but i was not expecting like 4 million.

the last game was released on December during the holiday season, this one is essentially early August ,so we wont know how Xenoblade 3 really performed until early next year but im willing to bet its gonna pass those 2 million Xenoblade 2 sold during this year

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
physical sales are starting to account for very little now. most people buy their games digitally now. sonys 1st party was 80% digital the last quarter. surprising that so many are buying digitally at high prices. PS5 games cost £69.99 on the store.
Outside of these gaming echo chambers of opinions, the consumer actually buys shit. Who knew?

Top Bottom