• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Physical Chart: Horizon Forbidden West displaces Xenoblade Chronicles 3 at the top of the charts. GT7 back to the top 5. Demon's Souls top 20.

No sign of Returnal and Ratchet though, so it's not all games. Miles is an evergreen either way.
Returnal is less mainstream though. Demon's Souls is probably being helped by the new From Software love going on this year.
Ratchet deserves better though. Still one of the best PS5 experiences i had!

Mr Moose

It was available for like 19.99 at amazon and currys and 25 pounds in places last week. Absolutely insane pricing...

The number one reason I've stuck with physical. Places are selling horizon for like 32 quid brand new at the minute too, so working well alongside the bundles.

Just shows the demand for games at below that insane 70 pound pricing and fans willing to wait.
Got my hopes up and... It's out of stock.
:messenger_crying:
https://www.currys.co.uk/products/playstation-demons-souls-ps5-10194355.html
That's a nice price.

Do you have more of that Miyazaki fix?
superhans-peepshow.gif

MrA

Banned
What is honestly the point of physical-only charts anymore?

Isn’t the ratio of digital to physical more than 70/30 now? And that’s only going to increase.
They mean more than those that salivate at less options because most people don't understand the whole 70% digital, thats all software not individual games
So that includes the entire library available online at all times , older games, digital only, games on sale at 90% off
So for most new releases the majority of sales are physical for most games and physical has an increased presence during the holiday season. The physical charts are actually quite substantial, giving insight into how new releases and major titles are performing, they just don't give us insight into what's selling like hot cakes because its 99% off on psn

physical sales are starting to account for very little now. most people buy their games digitally now. sonys 1st party was 80% digital the last quarter. surprising that so many are buying digitally at high prices. PS5 games cost £69.99 on the store.
When you see their quarter reports and they have 80% digital with prices like 70-80€ and you open NeoGAF and there is a thread that says that sales are declining because of the pricing you understand that some people don't have touch with the reality.

Three

It depends on the platform.
If a game sells 10M copies and 3M are physical sales...that doesn't seem irrelevant in any way, IMO.
It's usually even higher than that. The 70% is as a whole from the store. That includes all indie and AA games that don't get physical releases. Big games that sell 10M like CoD, Horizon, God Of War, GT7 etc will have a bigger portion than 30% that is physical from the 10M.

It's asnine to try and play down physical sales even if it is decreasing. Digital sales are dwarfed by f2p/sub downloads and MTX anyway but I don't see people downplaying sales charts in general. Has anyone seen the xbox sales chart vs most played? It's nothing but CoD in the sales chart from years ago, Vanguard, Cold War, MW2019, BO3. In the top 10. What would that tell you?

Last edited:
It's usually even higher than that. The 70% is as a whole from the store. That includes all indie and AA games that don't get physical releases. Big games that sell 10M like CoD, Horizon, God Of War, GT7 etc will have a bigger portion than 30% that is physical from the 10M.

It's asnine to try and play down physical sales even if it is decreasing. Digital sales are dwarfed by f2p/sub downloads and MTX anyway but I don't see people downplaying sales charts in general. Has anyone seen the xbox sales chart vs most played? It's nothing but CoD in the sales chart from years ago, Vanguard, Cold War, MW2019, BO3. In the top 10. What would that tell you?
Wasn't CoD 90% digital on Xbox? Physical sales are becoming increasingly useless to gauge anything.

yazenov

Wasn't CoD 90% digital on Xbox? Physical sales are becoming increasingly useless to gauge anything.

Physical is useless for Xbox since it sells mostly digital games, and sell less software overall than PC, Sony, and Nintendo due to lower console hardware sales and the introduction of Gamepass which pushes consumers to rent games.

On the other hand, its very relevant for both Nintendo and Sony.

Nintendo sells alot of physical software as they just recently reached 50% ratio of physical to digital.

For Sony its around 70 - 80% depending on the region.

So physical in general is very relevant for a lot of companies and negligible for some company who doesn't have a physical presence at retail. Don't generalize. Its irrelevant for 1 out of 3 platforms.

Last edited:

Three

Anything below of BF2042 is a joke of a sale. If your game was beaten in sales by that flop of a game, you should brag about sales.

It has between 3 and 5K players on Steam.

https://steamcharts.com/app/1517290
BF2042 beat literally all games but 5 in sales in the past year, digital included NPD. That means all game sales this past year are a joke bar these 5 games?

Trailing 12 Months Ending June 2022
1)Elden Ring
2)Call of Duty: Vanguard
3)Madden NFL 22
4)Pokemon: Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl*
5)Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga
6)Battlefield 2042

7)FIFA 22
8)Far Cry 6
9)Pokemon Legends: Arceus*
10)Horizon: Forbidden West

Last edited:
Physical is useless for Xbox since it sells mostly digital games, and sell less software overall than PC, Sony, and Nintendo due to lower console hardware sales and the introduction of Gamepass which pushes consumers to rent games.

On the other hand, its very relevant for both Nintendo and Sony.

Nintendo sells alot of physical software as they just recently reached 50% ratio of physical to digital.

For Sony its around 70 - 80% depending on the region.

So physical in general is very relevant for a lot of companies and negligible for some company who doesn't have a physical presence at retail. Don't generalize. Its irrelevant for 1 out of 3 platforms.
FKkj97pWUAYJRt4

4% of revenue for Playstation, not exactly super duper relevant, I would say. It's still relevant for Nintendo, that's correct.

yazenov

FKkj97pWUAYJRt4

4% of revenue for Playstation, not exactly super duper relevant, I would say. It's still relevant for Nintendo, that's correct.

Its just revenue and not the who picture (profit). Also if you sell physical software, it may lead consumers to digital purchases such as MTX, subscriptions for multiplayer games and season passes , and so forth which skews the revenue more in favor of digital.

Still, Sony mentioned that actual physical to digital sales are 79% so its money and consumers purchases regardless.

Again, its just irrelevant for Xbox. No hard feelings being left out of the relevant conversation.

Last edited:
Been going through Demon's Souls remake, and damn it's been fun. While easier than other games with as many ways to cheese fights it also is the one that most reminds me of King's Field. Gonna be interesting to see what they do next.

Three

FKkj97pWUAYJRt4

This would suggest full game sales are 17% physical and 83% digital. I don't think that's the case when it comes to units (as in these charts). It's PSN store revenue vs retail revenue where they get a much bigger cut as well as sell indies and AA without physical retail releases too. For big games physical is still relevant to unit sales even if people use it to selectively discredit charts.
$895 Billion(?) Doesn't seem that irrelevant anyway even if it is lower revenue than mtxs, services and hardware.

tmlDan

physical sales are starting to account for very little now. most people buy their games digitally now. sonys 1st party was 80% digital the last quarter. surprising that so many are buying digitally at high prices. PS5 games cost £69.99 on the store.
The digital store still has game sales every week in rotation.

It's not as cheap as some retail physical stores in some cases but you can get great deals.

yazenov

Bruh, even if Xbox had Playstation's physical sales revenue, it would only be roughly 6% of total Xbox revenue. It's irrelevant for everyone but Nintendo.

Bruh? Did you just assumed my gender? Now I feel offended. If we were in Re, you would have been axed :p

Last edited:
Remeber for physical games Sony does only recognize only 20% of the $60 or $70 price tag for third party games. For first party it's 70%
For digital games that is always 100%
That's a good point. It also explains why Playstation (and likely Xbox) profit margins are so low compared to Nintendo.

geary

BF2042 beat literally all games but 5 in sales in the past year, digital included NPD. That means all game sales this past year are a joke bar these 5 games?

Trailing 12 Months Ending June 2022
1)Elden Ring
2)Call of Duty: Vanguard
3)Madden NFL 22
4)Pokemon: Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl*
5)Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga
6)Battlefield 2042

7)FIFA 22
8)Far Cry 6
9)Pokemon Legends: Arceus*
10)Horizon: Forbidden West
Those sale come from pre-orders or from day one, when none knew what kind of trash game was. Now everyone knows what game is and still sold more than other games applauded for their sales.

Gobjuduck

Banned
The amount of negativity that gravitates around xenoblade really shows how great the franchise is.

The hate boner for this fun and exciting series is puzzling sometimes.

Gobjuduck

Banned
XC3 been at the top of the eshop for 11-12 days now. With 100+ million switches in the public. The game is selling great. Looking at UK physical sales in 2022 is a fools errand.

Niche JRPGs don’t hold top ground long after release, especially for 2 weeks.

EDMIX

83% sales drop is pretty huge for a Nintendo title

true, but it depends on the title really. those JRPGs have not had as long legs as their other main IP, Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Animal Crossing etc

DeS is 35 pounds at Argos (and I assume other retailers), that's a quite attractive price, hence the jump to 20 on the charts.

Real surprise is Battlefield 2042 at 13. Very weird flex.

lol same. I have no clue how the fuck that happened and i think this proves that most consumers don't seem to care about what is said on forums and the vast majority likely don't represent what is said on here.

With that game's issues, I'm surprised it still charts. Granted its much better then it was day 1, but with MP titles I expect people to move on fast as they have to stay relevant

"Because it's a piece of shit game"

lol ok but, this wouldn't be the first time Gaf has felt something is a "piece of shit game" that went on to move millions. So...I admit I'm a bit surprised, but I don't think anyone should be really. What we say on Gaf isn't the majority.

Look at how many times many on here shit on COD, or AC or Far Cry only for them to break records and move monster units?

lol dat gif doe! I agree though, i don't see how the last game will matter on how people buy this one as they are not direct things and I don't think those that didn't like X2 automatically mean they won't buy X3 or something. I think this drop is normal for those type of JRPGs on Switch.

So I don't know how anyone can tell what is a huge hit or not, 1 fucking week in, thats just too much lol Expecting? Where did Nintendo even state what they expected from this title to say a increase like this, is not a flop cause they expected more? For how though?

Last edited:
Top Bottom