• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Physical Chart: Horizon Forbidden West displaces Xenoblade Chronicles 3 at the top of the charts. GT7 back to the top 5. Demon's Souls top 20.

Fredrik

My sales prediction :

1. Horizon will sell 20+ million life time
2. GT7 will sell 15 million lifetime
3. Demon souls will sell 5 million lifetime because new FROM fan who loved Elden Ring will buy it.
Horizon is bundled so 20 million is not enough unless PS5 stops selling. It’ll sell exactly as much as the number of bundles they make.

Last edited:

Elios83

Well "good" is a question of definition. Still way behind last year

Good enough to jump from third to second in just two months of decent availability since the beginning of the year.
The actually good part is that this time last year sales were slowing down, now we're in a upwards period which should last for the rest of the year (unless a war happens in Taiwan and everyone is fucked).

it depends what you mean, im not sure a lot of people were thinking it was going to be a "big breakout hit" since Xenoblade 2 was already a big step up for this series,this one should follow with some good numbers, but i was not expecting like 4 million.

the last game was released on December during the holiday season, this one is essentially early August ,so we wont know how Xenoblade 3 really performed until early next year but im willing to bet its gonna pass those 2 million Xenoblade 2 sold during this year

Xenoblade 2 came out with an install base of like 12 million, this one came out on an install base of 110 million, that alone should have gave it a significant boost. Besides that the hype this time around was palpable. I do think people were thinking it would be a major step up sales wise, especially over series like Tales of Arise, maybe comparable to a Nier or Persona 5 vanilla.

Seems like with the major influx of switch users, bigger word of mouth, and way better reviews, the series didn’t get a significant bump in sales. Just doing a bit better than Xenoblade Chronicles 2 seems the franchise hit its ceiling with switch owners. It’s too hardcore of a game for the majority of switch owners

Good enough to jump from third to second in just two months of decent availability since the beginning of the year.
The actually good part is that this time last year sales were slowing down, now we're in a upwards period which should last for the rest of the year (unless a war happens in Taiwan and everyone is fucked).
Ps5 will bit $1000+ again

But UK sales are really bad this year.
Here are the estimates until June. 2 weeks are missing and not tracked

YTD:
NSW ~235k (vs ~340k last year)
XBS ~216k (vs ~280k last year)
PS5 ~198k (vs ~390k last year)

Last edited:

TheTony316

Xenoblade 2 came out with an install base of like 12 million, this one came out on an install base of 110 million, that alone should have gave it a significant boost. Besides that the hype this time around was palpable. I do think people were thinking it would be a major step up sales wise, especially over series like Tales of Arise, maybe comparable to a Nier or Persona 5 vanilla.

Seems like with the major influx of switch users, bigger word of mouth, and way better reviews, the series didn’t get a significant bump in sales. Just doing a bit better than Xenoblade Chronicles 2 seems the franchise hit its ceiling with switch owners. It’s too hardcore of a game for the majority of switch owners
Yeah, i can see that. Even as a JRPG fan, i couldn't get into it. I tried to like it but gave up after 20 hours. The combat mechanics are just way too convoluted, the UI is bloated and the wayfinder/map is just confusing.

Yeah, i can see that. Even as a JRPG fan, i couldn't get into it. I tried to like it but gave up after 20 hours. The combat mechanics are just way too convoluted, the UI is bloated and the wayfinder/map is just confusing.

Im about just over 20 hours and feel myself struggling to find motivation to turn it back on. Its not even bad, I don’t know why i find it to be such a chore to get into. I feel like everything is just meant to be time draining.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

im guessing it should definetly pass Tales of Arise worldwide. the last number they gave us was 2 million on April(that game should be selling way more!:messenger_ok:)but thats with some sales and multiple consoles.

i don't see Xenoblade ever reaching Final Fantasy or Persona numbers unfortunately, could be because of the artstyle(like Tales) or the combat/design.its an enormous game with lots of clutter on the menus.personally im not a fan of that or parts of the storytelling.

Nier became a monster, pretty much a surprise to everyone, but Xenoblade 3 can still be considered a success even if it doesn’t reach other series numbers

im hoping, however that the next mainline Fire Emblem is another breakout hit for the series and passses 4 million. they should have improved the presentation by now, can't wait to see it! that one has shown the potential to be way bigger than Xenoblade, but they need to tweak some things out with Tecmo

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
If Sony is smart they could piggy back on the success of Elden Ring and advertise Demon's Soul as the game that started the souls genre.

People who are hungry for more Elden Ring should check out Demon's Soul ect...

Oh and Blood Borne remake $$¢
Kind of too late for that. They never did anything with Demons Souls after Elden Ring came out. They are awful at marketing.

im guessing it should definetly pass Tales of Arise worldwide. the last number they gave us was 2 million on April(that game should be selling way more!:messenger_ok:)but thats with some sales and multiple consoles.

i don't see Xenoblade ever reaching Final Fantasy or Persona numbers unfortunately, could be because of the artstyle(like Tales) or the combat/design.its an enormous game with lots of clutter on the menus.personally im not a fan of that or parts of the storytelling.

Nier became a monster, pretty much a surprise to everyone, but Xenoblade 3 can still be considered a success even if it doesn’t reach other series numbers

im hoping, however that the next mainline Fire Emblem is another breakout hit for the series and passses 4 million. they should have improved the presentation by now, can't wait to see it! that one has shown the potential to be way bigger than Xenoblade, but they need to tweak some things out with Tecmo

Put mario in it and it will hit 5 m

Kind of too late for that. They never did anything with Demons Souls after Elden Ring came out. They are awful at marketing.

Its not too late at all, it will get a nice boost from PC. Some of you forget that Sony is also invested in Elden Ring selling on their platform also, which it still is

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned

Lets wait until Nintendo divulge the sales figures to jump to any conclusion, shall we?

Well "good" is a question of definition. Still way behind last year
Just a few 100 hundred units ahead of Xbox Series now
Well, and it's going to keep being #2. It was the best selling console over there for 2 or 3 months in a row. It actually has a shot at being #1 by the end of the year since it's clear Sony's 3 markets where they send more units is USA > UK > Japan.

I hope the rest of Europe gets those units close to Christmas like Sony is promising.

Imagine a God of War + PS5 bundle Jesus Christ. Specially since Sony has the most empty November for new releases in... history?

God of War has a shot at being the #2 best selling game from Q4 worldwide only behind Call of Duty that's available in every platform... it's going to do big numbers for them.

Last edited:
Well, and it's going to keep being #2. It was the best selling console over there for 2 or 3 months in a row. It actually has a shot at being #1 by the end of the year since it's clear Sony's 3 markets where they send more units is USA > UK > Japan.

I hope the rest of Europe gets those units close to Christmas like Sony is promising.

Imagine a God of War + PS5 bundle Jesus Christ. Specially since Sony has the most empty November for new releases in... history?

God of War has a shot at being the #2 best selling game from Q4 worldwide only behind Call of Duty that's available in every platform... it's going to do big numbers for them.

Sea of thieves

iHaunter

Good that PS5s are getting slightly easier to get. I haven’t bought Xenoblade Chronicles 3 yet but I did pick up the Definitive Edition of the first one. I only played half way through on the 3DS so hopefully I have a much better experience on the Switch.
There was another wave of hardware in EU. That's why the Sony game sales increased again.

Fredrik

There are several types of bundles and just the PS5 though. It's not like like every PS5 sold is bundled with Horizon.
I know but nobody who wants a PS5 right now is going to go ”Nah then I’ll wait” if they can get access to a Horizon bundle, nothing sits on a shelf, everything they send to stores will get sold.

Ansphn

I know but nobody who wants a PS5 right now is going to go ”Nah then I’ll wait” if they can get access to a Horizon bundle, nothing sits on a shelf, everything they send to stores will get sold.
But still it's a mix of different bundles and just the PS5 systems. You spoke as if everything Playstation produce and send out the door is bundled with Horizon when it's not facts.

Astral Dog

Put mario in it and it will hit 5 m
I get now what your point is, Nintendo has been getting far better at selling a wider variety of content these last years than previous generations, they always had an issue when Super Mario or Pokemon outshined every third party on the sales chart, and that always caused a few struggles with their fanbase and other publishers, their perception among 'hardcore' gamers has been huh, mixed when they talk about buying a Nintendo console.

But, every company challenges are different , Mario is one of gamming's greatest icons, they will always care about the plumber and their classic series, its impossible not to, wouldn't be standing were they are today otherwise.a wide variety of gamers young and old, core and casual care about Mario, Pokemon, and now Animal Crossing. They will always develop and publish these games for everyone, they just aren't hardcore exclusive like the other companies lol and that's fine

Still they been trying to push other content, genres and age ratings, all success they are having with third parties today didn't costed them nothing and while their sales data is far more modest than say PlayStation, its getting a lot better because they keep throwing money at third parties, new collaborations,new hardware, advertisement, surprises, actually have been surprising us a lot longtime Nintendo gamers.

Those 2 million of Xenoblade Chronicles was a ton of hard work of publishing multiple games across 3 generations, but they didn't give up on Monolith Soft and kept improving as a publisher, even been willing to go outside their bubble and find developers to work with closely and support, for example Warriors games are a lot different today thanks to Nintendo. Their relationship with Tecmo is very strong, also been taking care of Shin Megami Tensei with Atlus, Monster Hunter with Capcom(spinoff and main), Bayonetta with SEGA after they couldn't afford to, and even smaller niche titles like Deadly Premonition(apparently Switch was the only chance this team had at making a sequel,some time later it came to PC)

What is honestly the point of physical-only charts anymore?

Isn’t the ratio of digital to physical more than 70/30 now? And that’s only going to increase.

I get now what your point is, Nintendo has been getting far better at selling a wider variety of content these last years than previous generations, they always had an issue when Super Mario or Pokemon outshined every third party on the sales chart, and that always caused a few struggles with their fanbase and other publishers, their perception among 'hardcore' gamers has been huh, mixed when they talk about buying a Nintendo console.

But, every company challenges are different , Mario is one of gamming's greatest icons, they will always care about the plumber and their classic series, its impossible not to, wouldn't be standing were they are today otherwise.a wide variety of gamers young and old, core and casual care about Mario, Pokemon, and now Animal Crossing. They will always develop and publish these games for everyone, they just aren't hardcore exclusive like the other companies lol and that's fine

Still they been trying to push other content, genres and age ratings, all success they are having with third parties today didn't costed them nothing and while their sales data is far more modest than say PlayStation, its getting a lot better because they keep throwing money at third parties, new collaborations,new hardware, advertisement, surprises, actually have been surprising us a lot longtime Nintendo gamers.

Those 2 million of Xenoblade Chronicles was a ton of hard work of publishing multiple games across 3 generations, but they didn't give up on Monolith Soft and kept improving as a publisher, even been willing to go outside their bubble and find developers to work with closely and support, for example Warriors games are a lot different today thanks to Nintendo. Their relationship with Tecmo is very strong, also been taking care of Shin Megami Tensei with Atlus, Monster Hunter with Capcom(spinoff and main), Bayonetta with SEGA after they couldn't afford to, and even smaller niche titles like Deadly Premonition(apparently Switch was the only chance this team had at making a sequel,some time later it came to PC)

Monolith soft paid for itself with breath of the wild co-development alone. People never factor in the contribution that cross studio development/expertise brings when you acquire studios.

Thats why Bungie will ultimately be worth its salt

Last edited:

Isn’t the ratio of digital to physical more than 70/30 now? And that’s only going to increase.
It's a small piece of information regarding the gaming market. It's better than nothing but not by very much tbh.

The ratio differs between consoles. On Xbox, for example, the digital to physical ratio is closer to 90/10.

Kagey K

Banned
There are several types of bundles and just the PS5 though. It's not like like every PS5 sold is bundled with Horizon.
Can you point to one that's been in stock recently without it?

Everywhere I see it's nothing but Horizon bundles.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Can you point to one that's been in stock recently without it?

Everywhere I see it's nothing but Horizon bundles.
Is it anecdotal evidence based inductive reasoning you are asking others to disprove?

Good thing about inductive reasoning used as an absolute proof is that only one counter example is needed… well here is is ;).

rAgzFCt.png

Last edited:

reksveks

Was going to say Fifa because of the WC bump but that also comes out a day before Q4.

I also think Pokemon is going to be number 2.

Last edited:
Shame about digital taking over, I thought there was a plan to have both included in the charts years ago.

Anyway, used copies of Demon's Souls sell on ebay for around £15-20, that is the going rate. PSN are charging are whopping £43.39p "on sale" for a 2 year old remake of an old game and the sale ends on the 17th for Christ's sake. Argos etc are selling it for £35.

If digital on console could actually be priced well after 2 years I could understand.

yazenov

Its valuable information actually and since we know the digital to physical ratio, we can estimate and extrapolate the data.

Without the physical charts and the tiny bits of data from the articles and twitter, we wont know how well games our doing. I mean, what alternative do we have?

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
A bit surprised to see DS back in the charts, considering it’s available in the additional PS Plus catalogue.

It was available for like 19.99 at amazon and currys and 25 pounds in places last week. Absolutely insane pricing...

The number one reason I've stuck with physical. Places are selling horizon for like 32 quid brand new at the minute too, so working well alongside the bundles.

Just shows the demand for games at below that insane 70 pound pricing and fans willing to wait.

Last edited:
I picked up Xenoblade Chronicles 3 just because the last game seemed to go up in price over the years (physical copies anyway). Figured I should just grab it before I end up paying £50+ in the next few months.

I also think that anyone that wanted to play it picked it up day one. Nintendo games rarely drop in price so point waiting it out really.

I picked up Xenoblade Chronicles 3 just because the last game seemed to go up in price over the years (physical copies anyway). Figured I should just grab it before I end up paying £50+ in the next few months.

I also think that anyone that wanted to play it picked it up day one. Nintendo games rarely drop in price so point waiting it out really.
JRPGs always have a huge drop-off in the 2nd week, especially in the UK. XC3 numbers are still good.

Go_Ly_Dow

Xeno 2 sold about 2-2.5mil and was considered a big success on those numbers.

With digital sales and time, Xeno 3 will hit 2-3mil I'm sure which will be another success for the series. I can also imagine they'll release a remastered version for Switch 2, as the visuals are very nice and would benefit for a nice IQ and FPS boost.

Top Bottom