• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Prof wants to ban Mario Kart:Double Dash

that's why you read the warning that comes with the game. I say slap him around with the booklet or if you're so inclinded, send him your copy highlighted.

Ozchin

If the prof wanted to ban MK: DD on the basis of crap link-MP programming, I would have backed him.

He is, however, just a rod and deserves no attention from the media.

it IS the sun that is giving him coverage. Aside from the fact that its a NINTENDO title that's been singled out.. is this news-worthy?

Mashing

How come people go after Nintendo all the time and not the market leader Sony? I doubt PS2 games are any less likely to cause epileptic seizures

as far as I know.. the only people dropping dead from gaming are Koreans playing in Internet cafes.

Ban pcs, caffeine and fps.RTS!!!

* ps what is up with the dead koreans?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Well videogames should adhere to the same standards TV programs have to, a warning in the instruction book is simply not enough as there are 100's if not 1000's of epilepsy sufferers in the UK alone who arent necessarily aware of their condition (if they dont suffer badly). Its not that hard for most games to not have fast moving repeating patterns, and its a perfectly simple test to see if anything in the game causes the fits aswell.

Who knows why the Sun singled out a nintendo game, im sure there are dozens of games on all three systems with the same issues. All the professor said was that he wanted to ban games that can cause fits.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Ghost said:
Well videogames should adhere to the same standards TV programs have to, a warning in the instruction book is simply not enough as there are 100's if not 1000's of epilepsy sufferers in the UK alone who arent necessarily aware of their condition (if they dont suffer badly). Its not that hard for most games to not have fast moving repeating patterns, and its a perfectly simple test to see if anything in the game causes the fits aswell.

Who knows why the Sun singled out a nintendo game, im sure there are dozens of games on all three systems with the same issues. All the professor said was that he wanted to ban games that can cause fits.

What are the standards TV programmes have to adhere to?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
What are the standards TV programmes have to adhere to?

Theres no laws against showing a TV program that can trigger a fit. But it is written in the guidelines for broadcasting that In anything except live broadcasts (where warnings are acceptable) TV shows in the UK have to be created taking the upmost care to avoid images which can trigger fits, Videogame makers can simply stick a warning label on and do whatever the hell they like, I think thats plain wrong, especially when in its normally something simple to fix, eg. In MK:DD the main offender is one poorly designed track texture than when driven over at speed produces a pattern.

It would be so easy to make this a non-issue if publishers cared just a little bit more about the people buying their games.

hirokazu

is this the same guy who appeared in that BBC "Outrageous Fortunes" doc? if so, well, i thought he got his point across in that show already, and can't people just look at the damn box and see that there's a warning on it already?!

Ghost said:
Videogame makers can simply stick a warning label on and do whatever the hell they like, I think thats plain wrong, especially when in its normally something simple to fix, eg. In MK:DD the main offender is one poorly designed track texture than when driven over at speed produces a pattern.

i know you have a point, but the same can be said likewise, why is it that they always target video games? if it is indeed the same guy from the BBC program, i think he's targetting those games that have been stated because these are the only games he has tested.

anyway, there probably are plenty of other stuff that out there that may cause seizures, he, and others just haven't found them to bitch about yet...

segasonic

xburns.jpg

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Mashing said:
How come people go after Nintendo all the time and not the market leader Sony? I doubt PS2 games are any less likely to cause epileptic seizures
DSN2K said:
why is it always Nintendo games these things happen with ? :|
I thought you guys want Nintendo to be the world's foremost recognized entity in videogames.
No, seriously, see this single tear running down my right cheek? *taps chest with fist* Feel for ya, bros.

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
This is just a rehash of the BBC stuff. In fact, I can explain how this has sunk to the top of the scummy journalism pond again, if you like: A local paper in the UK held off running a story on it until last week, publishing a news piece about it in a Birmingham paper - probably as a filler during a quiet week. The Sun then picked up the story and ran it themselves.

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
Satoru Iwata ate a mushroom and then systematically jumped on their heads, turning them all into pixelated pancakes.

hirokazu

Son of Godzilla said:
So how does he test these things? Make epileptics play videogames till they spasm?

there's this computer program someone made that scans a video source and accurately graphs and detects patterns that would likely cause seizures in susceptible people.

the track in question for MK: DD is the boat one, near the end of the track, where you go up the stairs just before you hit the starting line again, when you're driving by a full speed, it (the staircase) creates rapid, alternating dark/bright patterns on the screen, which is a big no-no, according to the computer program they use.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Son of Godzilla said:
So how does he test these things? Make epileptics play videogames till they spasm?

No, theres tests that measure luminance and look for repetition in whats being displayed on screen that work for TV, and for games too, all you'd have to do is have someone play through the game with the console attached to this machine.

Nothing is aiming this specifically at Nintendo except the title of this thread, so blame flemming for 'victimising nintendo' or whatever some of you are moaning about.

Oh ffs.. I hate people like this. Theres always going to be a minority of people where something will affect them differently from the majority of people.

This is not quite as bad as those moron parents that were trying to sue Nintendo for not warning them that games could cause seizures when its on the bloody box and manual and as a seperate pamphlet! There was a pic someone made pointing to the seizure warning with "You are stupid" in an old GAF topic. Was pretty funny.

Top Bottom