• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK regulators are investigating Apple's block on Xbox Game Pass

ManaByte

https://www.windowscentral.com/gami...-investigating-apples-block-on-xbox-game-pass

The UK's Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) launched a market investigation that will look at how Apple and Google dominate the mobile space. Specifically, it will investigate how the two tech giants "exercise a stranglehold over operating systems, app stores and web browsers on mobile devices." The investigation will also focus on how Apple restricts cloud gaming through its App Store

It works well enough from the browser, but being able to access it right from the Game Pass app would be even better.

Three

Think about minding your own monopoly business as apple, and suddenly getting shit at because of an acquisition of 70b you aren't even a part of.
This wasn't because of the acquisition. It's not even gamepass specific.

Last edited:
MS could just sell more Nokias with Windows OS if they want to compete instead of highjacking someone else's platform?

First they fail to ge it off the ground and then expect red carpet on everyone else's products and their investments?

For a consumer monopolies are not really great but if an authority does want to dictate anything they need to step in much much sooner.

GHG

Gold Member
Phil's bribery trip to the CMA seems to be paying off.

Last month, Mr. Spencer and other Microsoft executives brought an Xbox, a PlayStation, a Nintendo Switch and other devices to a meeting with regulators in London, where they showed off Call of Duty and other games to illustrate a dynamic market, people familiar with the visit said.

Am I doing it right?

Last edited:

Burger

I can access Steam, and the Steam store on my Macbook. I cannot access the same store if I stream my Macbook to my Apple TV.

None of it makes any sense.

Tams

Gold Member
I can access Steam, and the Steam store on my Macbook. I cannot access the same store if I stream my Macbook to my Apple TV.

None of it makes any sense.

Because they just haven't locked-down MacOS yet.

Give them time. They're trying.

Tams

Gold Member
Same reason Microsoft is pushing the Microsoft Store?

Well, yes, but Microsoft have been less competent and insidious about it. They also no longer have another more closed-off OS that they can drag people towards.

Topher

Gold Member
Well, yes, but Microsoft have been less competent and insidious about it. They also no longer have another more closed-off OS that they can drag people towards.

I don't see it. I have both Windows and Mac and I see nothing insidious about either. Both are completely open operating systems.

And are you talking about Windows S mode? Pretty sure that is still around.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Idk if it was because of a stupid Apple requirement or what but I would like to be able to view and buy games on the Xbox app again. 😡

I don't see it. I have both Windows and Mac and I see nothing insidious about either. Both are completely open operating systems.

Didn't cost me anything to get out of it. Plus it was really easy to do.

Topher

Gold Member
This is strange. I buy all my PSN games on the iOS PS app. They’ve shut it down to Microsoft? lmao

I see a "Download to Console" option in the Xbox iOS app for purchasable games. I'm guessing they download it and then you have to pay for it on the console. Really weird.

tommib

As someone who has LG OLED and Apple TV Game Pass would be incredible to have.
Don’t LG TVs have the Gamepass app? I know Sony TVs don’t (for obvious reasons) but I thought xcloud was on most new TVs these days.

Last edited:

Three

The operating system was but the stores weren't. there was a great deal of controversy regarding UWP and the store only allowing UWP apps and UWP only allowed on the store with sideloading hidden in a menu.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016...indows-platform-can-should-must-and-will-die/

And die it did when in 2019 MS finally allowed non-UWP apps on the store.
https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/30/...indows-app-dead-microsoft-store-windows-store

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Wouldn't be an issue if they bought Apple.

Card Declined GIF by Christmas Music

RoboFu

One of the green rats
This is strange. I buy all my PSN games on the iOS PS app. They’ve shut it down to Microsoft? lmao
Psn app and steam are fine. But you can’t access the steam store on the steam link app either. Idk what the deciding factor is there.

I'm sick of this walled garden shit.
A company spends billions to set up an ecosystem and it has rules about what you can or can't put on their ecosystem.
Companies then that don't want to meet your requirements sue to make you open you system up for them to profit more off.
While I fucking hate Apple, it's their system.

tommib

I find it hilarious that iOS-tards are against something that would make their device better...

but then again, they bought an iOS device...
Anything from Microsoft on any device makes that device worse. I cured my depression when I dumped Windows in 2006. I had no idea Bill Gates was gaslighting me all my life. You too can come out of it. Be strong. We can help.
assist i can help GIF by Nick Drake

Last edited:

Banned
Anything from Microsoft on any device makes that device worse. I cured my depression when I dumped Windows in 2006. I had no idea Bill Gates was gaslighting me all my life. You too can come out of it. Be strong. We can help.
assist i can help GIF by Nick Drake

imagine being offended by the prospect of an open platform :)

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Same reason Microsoft is pushing the Microsoft Store?
Microsoft Store does not take any cut from apps, literally 0%, otherwise many Windows app developers won't put there app on the store. The Xbox Store for gaming is different. Microsoft Store is just a repo for MSIX packages
Microsoft also develops winget and maintains the winget repo that will download your apps directly from where the dev's site.
For example, open PowerShell and type
winget install firefox
This will directly download and install firefox from Mozilla's website. winget already allows you to install store apps. In future Microsoft Store will also act as the GUI for winget

bitbydeath

Think about minding your own monopoly business as apple, and suddenly getting shit at because of an acquisition of 70b you aren't even a part of.
There was a rumour going about yesterday that Apple might buy Disney. Now that would be a HUGE acquisition.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I find it hilarious that iOS-tards are against something that would make their device better...

but then again, they bought an iOS device...
Is everything in life a team sport?

Yo fuck Pepsi .. coke is the shiznit!

Stupid Dunkin dolts! Tim hortons is far superior

Tampax ? Always has wings fuck faces!

Don’t expect anything to come out of this, as they seem to take years to complete anything, even if they do, apple will delay it many more years in the appeal courts.

Trilobit

You can play gamepass on xcloud anyway: on safari or whatever browser. I do.

I tried that on my iPad Pro on Safari and a very fast network, but there was an annoying lag all of the time. The same thing didn't happen on my Xiaomi phone. So I wouldn't want to try it again until there's a dedicated app.

Ronin_7

Banned
Microsoft lawyers will be all over this trying to crush Google & Apple practices, it'll be a long fight across the world for sure.

ManaByte

Idk if it was because of a stupid Apple requirement or what but I would like to be able to view and buy games on the Xbox app again. 😡

Apple tax. All purchases inside an app are subject to it.

The PS app opens a webpage to process the purchase, bypassing the App Store 30% cut. Funny how Apple banned Fortnite for doing that, huh?

tommib

Apple tax. All purchases inside an app are subject to it.

The PS app opens a webpage to process the purchase, bypassing the App Store 30% cut. Funny how Apple banned Fortnite for doing that, huh?
The Sony-Apple alliance is real.
Donald Glover Reaction GIF

Top Bottom