• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK regulators are investigating Apple's block on Xbox Game Pass

reksveks

You can buy anything on the PS Store for PS4/PS5 because the app is just a front. Your cart and checkout uses a web browser so it bypasses the 30% cut to Apple.
Wondering what the loophole is or if its just a 'special arrangement'

It may have to do with the fact its a digital purchase that you aren't using on the phone but the app store policies are rather weird

Last edited:

tommib

It may have to do with the fact its a digital purchase that you aren't using on the phone but the app store policies are rather weird
Yes, it might be because you’re not playing it on your phone. I’m sure they have it legally covered it. Didn’t Google do the same thing on Android?

Last edited:

tommib

Apple looks the other way depending on the company doing it. They banned Fortnite for doing it, but ignored Netflix and Sony.
This is disingenuous, of course. Fortnite was an app that you would download through the App Store. A full game with micro transactions that was redirecting gamers outside of the App Store. It’s like call of duty on PS5 opening a web browser for you to buy whatever people buy on those games.

ManaByte

Gold Member
This is disingenuous, of course. Fortnite was an app that you would download through the App Store. A full game with micro transactions that was redirecting gamers outside of the App Store. It’s like call of duty on PS5 opening a web browser for you to buy whatever people buy on those games.
An in app purchase is an in app purchase regardless of what type of app is is.

ReBurn

Gold Member

Game Pass competes with Apple Arcade. The issue wasn't so much game purchases as it was competing subscription services running as native apps on iOS. Sony isn't rubbing Apple the wrong way with a store because Sony isn't selling games that are played on Apple devices. It's no different than Amazon or rideshare or whatever.

Last edited:

BeardGawd

Banned
Game Pass competes with Apple Arcade. The issue wasn't so much game purchases as it was competing subscription services running as native apps on iOS. Sony isn't rubbing Apple the wrong way with a store because Sony isn't selling games that are played on Apple devices. It's no different than Amazon or rideshare or whatever.
Can we purchase Xbox or Steam content on iOS?

I would check but I've switch from iOS for a few years now.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Can we purchase Xbox or Steam content on iOS?

I would check but I've switch from iOS for a few years now.
Microsoft does not sell Xbox content via any of their iOS apps. You can initiate downloads to a console for games you don't own from the Xbox app, but you have to pay for them somewhere else.

BeardGawd

Banned
Microsoft does not sell Xbox content via any of their iOS apps. You can initiate downloads to a console for games you don't own from the Xbox app, but you have to pay for them somewhere else.
Do they sell on android?
I just checked the Xbox Android app and you can't buy anything on the app. But the PS Android app you can.

It's the same for the Google Playstore Game Pass app you can't purchase any DLC.

BUT when you download the GamePass app directly through the Samsung Galaxy Store you CAN purchase DLC through the app.

Something is going on here. Google and Apple turn a blind eye to some companies and not others.

Sony has a huge sway with their large PS userbase and large media arm with movies, music, tv shows, anime, etc... that Apple and Google would want to leverage in their streaming apps.

Last edited:

tommib

I just checked the Xbox Android app and you can't buy anything on the app. But the PS Android app you can.

It's the same for the Google Playstore Game Pass app you can't purchase any DLC.

BUT when you download the GamePass app directly through the Samsung Galaxy Store you CAN purchase DLC through the app.

Something is going on here. Google and Apple turn a blind eye to some companies and not others.

Sony has a huge sway with their large PS userbase and large media arm with movies, music, tv shows, anime, etc... that Apple and Google would want to leverage in their streaming apps.
So it’s the Xbox mobile app independently of the OS that’s doesn’t allow purchases. Interesting.

MikeM

Is everything in life a team sport?

Yo fuck Pepsi .. coke is the shiznit!

Stupid Dunkin dolts! Tim hortons is far superior

Tampax ? Always has wings fuck faces!
Its 2022. Pick your favourite corporate overlords and fight their enemies to their deaths!

ReBurn

Gold Member

It doesn't have anything to do with PS sway. Apple didn't want Microsoft streaming their games through an app if those people bought the games somewhere else. If someone could buy games through a different storefront and play them on iOS devices it would constitute a rival app store on iOS. Sony does not provide a way to play games purchased in their app on iOS devices. If they tried Apple would no doubt demand 30% of their revenue or kill their app, too.

Apple said they wouldn't allow Xbox cloudstreaming through the iOS app because they said that it was impossible for them to thoroughly review every game available for streaming to ensure that they were safe and high quality. They said Microsoft had to use the browser so they did that instead.

BeardGawd

Banned
It doesn't have anything to do with PS sway. Apple didn't want Microsoft streaming their games through an app if those people bought the games somewhere else. If someone could buy games through a different storefront and play them on iOS devices it would constitute a rival app store on iOS. Sony does not provide a way to play games purchased in their app on iOS devices. If they tried Apple would no doubt demand 30% of their revenue or kill their app, too.

Apple said they wouldn't allow Xbox cloudstreaming through the iOS app because they said that it was impossible for them to thoroughly review every game available for streaming to ensure that they were safe and high quality. They said Microsoft had to use the browser so they did that instead.
That's not the point. We all know why Apple doesn't allow a GamePass app on iOS and is forced to use browser.

The GamePass app and the Xbox app are completely seperate. Google and Apple allow inapp purchases on the PS app but do not on the Xbox app.

To further prove this point. GamePass app on Google Android Play Store cannot purchase DLC but the GamePass app downloaded through the 3rd party Samsung Galaxy store DOES allow DLC purchase in app.

It's pretty clear Google and Apple are not letting MS circumvent the 30% fee like Sony.

tommib

And it works like an app. It even creates an “app” icon called cloud gaming on your phone. It doesn’t even feel like a browser. I don’t know what Microsoft is crying about.
Vw0W0Vr.jpg
WJ9cjEu.jpg

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Hey, Microsoft. You had all the chances for a monopoly with the Windows Phone. Tough shit.

You can play gamepass on xcloud anyway: on safari or whatever browser. I do.
At the moment Apple allows it, but as they also force all browsers on iOS to use Safari under the hood, they could in theory start to tamper with things like controller inputs to make them incompatible.

tommib

At the moment Apple allows it, but as they also force all browsers on iOS to use Safari under the hood, they could in theory start to tamper with things like controller inputs to make them incompatible.
That’s a big “if”. Even if that happens, you can play on an android device or windows computer or whatever. Plenty of options. Can you play xcloud on the Switch via the browser?

ManaByte

Gold Member
And it works like an app. It even creates an “app” icon called cloud gaming on your phone. It doesn’t even feel like a browser. I don’t know what Microsoft is crying about.
Vw0W0Vr.jpg
WJ9cjEu.jpg
Because they want it in a single app. Not like this:

LP8ob9y.jpg

ReBurn

Gold Member
Vw0W0Vr.jpg
WJ9cjEu.jpg
I use it on my iPad with a Series controller. It works pretty well.

fawYqWQ.jpg

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
That doesn't apply to games though, right? And devs have to use their own or third party payment systems to avoid paying commission. That's still better than apple, granted.

Yeah, games is being separated into "Xbox Store", they are now in store.xbox.com instead of store.microsoft.com.
Also, my bad I thought 100% altogether. I guess this is still effective for revenue sharing for apps.
Lots of devs would rather have you buy the app from their website, Microsoft had to make a lot of changes to encourage them to publish in their store. Also, another reason for the own payment system thing is because many devs for free apps like Paint.NET or Krita were not allowed to put a donate button because of store policies and now they can.
Interesting reasoning by Krita devs used for why the Windows Store/Steam/Epic version is paid. Although, the free version is in winget repo anyway.

ReBurn

Gold Member
That's not the point. We all know why Apple doesn't allow a GamePass app on iOS and is forced to use browser.

The GamePass app and the Xbox app are completely seperate. Google and Apple allow inapp purchases on the PS app but do not on the Xbox app.

To further prove this point. GamePass app on Google Android Play Store cannot purchase DLC but the GamePass app downloaded through the 3rd party Samsung Galaxy store DOES allow DLC purchase in app.

It's pretty clear Google and Apple are not letting MS circumvent the 30% fee like Sony.
Microsoft used to sell games via the Xbox app. They removed the functionality in 2020 when they tried to release the Game Pass app and it was blocked by Apple. Microsoft contended that Apple blocked it because the Xbox app allowed users to buy games that could be played via Game Pass app, circumventing their App Store policies. In response Microsoft removed game sales from their app to clear the way for the Game Pass app to be approved. Then Apple blocked the Game Pass app because they said it was impossible to evaluate all of the games that could be played through it citing security reasons.

Sony never tried to provide an alternative way to deliver their games on the iOS platform so they didn't run afoul of Apple's monetization rules for apps on the app store. If they tried to release a PS Now streaming app then Apple would likely have dropped the hammer on them, too.

Top Bottom