• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Sales DS & GBA this week

Asylum

Those numbers seem pretty good for Spain. For reference the figures in France as of the beggining of November are -

DS - 350,000
PSP - 210,000

Taker666

Probably doesn't mean much but ..

.. at Amazon France , the Pink DS + Nintendogs is outselling the PSP and is number 1 in the charts (which is quite surprising since the DS has 5 or so SKU's vs the PSP's 1) and the Blue DS + Nintendogs is sold out.

..at Amazon Germany, the Pink DS + Nintendogs, the blue DS + Nintendogs and the Silver DS are currently ALL outselling the PSP.

while Amazon UK is the other way around and has the PSP at number 1 in the charts with multiple DS SKU's placing lower down the chart.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Wow, I wonder if the Mario Kart bundle will send these sales up even more.

heidern

Wow these DS sales are pretty insane. Sales of more than 100K are pretty much a lock. In October the DS sold 112K in the UK and 103K in France. If that pattern holds then you'd get 36K in France for the week. Looking at Spanish sales(200K at the end of September compared to 247K in France) you're looking at another 30K there. That would net 106K DSs between those 3 territories alone in just this one week. Chances are overall sales were between 120-150K. Obviously these are extrapolations but I think they give a decent illustration of what kind of numbers to expect.

Those numbers are only going to get stronger too. Not only is Sonic Rush, a killer app out this week, the week after sees Mario Kart another killer app. Then there's lots of other quality games such as Tony Hawk and Kirby too. That's on top of the fact that sales will improve anyway as we get closer to Christmas.

Its a shame that the Mario Kart bundle in the uk will include the ye olde silver DS and not the new red DS thats included in the US bundle.

The impact of the Nintendogs bundle has a lot to do with the new colours as well as the game.

JavyOO7

CVXFREAK said:
I wonder if, at this rate, the DS will actually pull ahead in Europe compared to the US. :lol

That would be quite embarassing, I would think.

I think the US numbers will explode though with the fury of Nintendogs/Mario Kart/Animal Crossing, and the excellent supplements of Tony Hawk/Sonic Rush/Viewtiful Joe/Mario and Luigi 2 and etc etc.

Striek

:lol Oh boy.

Also, wtf is wrong with the Xbox and GC sales. Those two platforms are DEAD by the looks of it.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Gaybrush Threepio said:
DS - 40,000
GBA (SP & Micro) - 32,000
PSP - 12,000
PS2 - 35,000
Xbox - 5,000
GameCube - 1,500

It's gonna be a Nintendo Xmas!!
ROFL unbelievable, thx ^^.

Asylum said:
Crazy, thats higher than the average US weekly sales for the past couple of months (for DS). Go UK :D
Given that it's November now I'd bet the US weekly sales are now higher than the average US weekly sales of previous months, too. Regardless, yeah, considering that the UK is a much smaller market that's big.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
So.. the DS will handily control the Japanese, European... and, who knows?, possibly even the American markets?

There's something amazingly hilarious about this... especially for me. The announcement of the PSP worried me. When the DS appeared, I had this sinking feeling Nintendo was going to go under. I just could't see the DS surviving against the Sony juggernaut.

My faith has been restored, many times over.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
DavidDayton said:
So.. the DS will handily control the Japanese, European... and, who knows?, possibly even the American markets?

There's something amazingly hilarious about this... especially for me. The announcement of the PSP worried me. When the DS appeared, I had this sinking feeling Nintendo was going to go under. I just could't see the DS surviving against the Sony juggernaut.

My faith has been restored, many times over.

So when do those stock dividends come in?

GTA really gave PSP a huge boost... (12,900 the week before GTA, 16,000 the week GTA launches and 12,000 the week after) :lol

That's really insane! And we are talking about EUROPE - to be more precise the UK which hates Nintendo - and the DS just outsold PSP by more than 3:1. Christmas will be hilarious :D

jj984jj

I wonder how many people still thing that the PSP will be killing the DS a year after launch.

AirBrian

Gaybrush Threepio said:
DS - 40,000
PSP - 12,000
PS2 - 35,000
Xbox - 5,000
GameCube - 1,500

12K?! Sony is really dropping the ball with their shortage.

And those Nintendo handheld numbers are friggin' insane! I thought UK hated Nintendo?

Unison

happypuppy.jpg

Merlin

Banned
AirBrian said:
12K?! Sony is really dropping the ball with their shortage.

And those Nintendo handheld numbers are friggin' insane! I thought UK hated Nintendo?

The kiddies who keep buying up the Nintendogs bundle are too young to know about how Nintendo has treated us in the past or have brand loyalties. :D

What little girl could resist this? It's the new Tamagotchi!

2135.jpg

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
that nintendogs marketing really is pretty clever. eh whatever sells more systems in europe is fine by me. Anything that will actually get games like castlevania on shelves in the future is a good good thing.

jj984jj

Merlin said:
The kiddies who keep buying up the Nintendogs bundle are too young to know about how Nintendo has treated us in the past or have brand loyalties. :D

2135.jpg
Yes yes, that's it, Nintendo is doing well... it must be teh kiddies!!

Merlin

Banned
jj984jj said:
Yes yes, that's it, Nintendo is doing well... it must be teh kiddies!!

Calm down, I wasn't saying only the kiddies, but there's no doubt the bundle will be popular with them (and non-gamers). It could be their biggest franchise since Pokemon.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Merlin said:

2135.jpg
that box looks so much nicer than the packaging we got in the US.... though the teal US packaging has the beagle (both of my dogs) so all is evened out I suppose :p

/jealous

DDayton

capslock said:
So when do those stock dividends come in?

Aww, how cute. Concern for a company doing well MUST mean the person is an investor. I mean, it couldn't be something like:

1. Enjoying a company's games, thus wanting them to keep doing well so as to continue producing those games.

2. Preference for software companies over giant media megacorporations.

3. Rooting for the little guy.

I really had no desire to see Nintendo lose their handheld market.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
DavidDayton said:
Aww, how cute. Concern for a company doing well MUST mean the person is an investor. I mean, it couldn't be something like:

1. Enjoying a company's games, thus wanting them to keep doing well so as to continue producing those games.

2. Preference for software companies over giant media megacorporations.

3. Rooting for the little guy.

I really had no desire to see Nintendo lose their handheld market.

Hehe, calm down, I actually own some Nintendo stock myself.

DDayton

capslock said:
Hehe, calm down, I actually own some Nintendo stock myself.

Actually, I wouldn't mind buying some -- but buying foreign stock seems a bit more difficult than domestic stock. My understanding is that there is some byzantine process by which you pay a company to hold the Japanese stock FOR you, but I haven't bothered to figure the process out.

Besides, I'm a teacher. What would I buy the stock with?

You know, at the moment I really do hope Sony gets it's ass beaten in the UK by the DS. Serves the idiots right for not getting any units to retail.

What the fuck is the hold up Sony??

Gaybrush Threepio said:
DS - 40,000
PSP - 12,000
PS2 - 35,000
Xbox - 5,000
GameCube - 1,500

Gaybrush, you're a gift to Nintendo fans everywhere :lol

Pimpwerx

PSP is doomed by Sony's hubris. Lower the fucking price, Sony. Otherwise, it'll be entertaining watching the DS continue to walk on the PSP for the rest of the gen. PEACE.

Prine

Banned
Pimpwerx said:
PSP is doomed by Sony's hubris. Lower the fucking price, Sony. Otherwise, it'll be entertaining watching the DS continue to walk on the PSP for the rest of the gen. PEACE.

Get PSP in the shops more like. I dont know what the fuck Sony are playing at

PSP shortage or not, those DS numbers on their own are amazing.

40,000 in a week probably means that per capita, the UK is currently the DS' strongest country for sales. Forget the PSP, its outselling the PS2.

Those GBA/GBM numbers are very, very strong too.

It'll be interesting if the DS outsells PSP in Japan, US, and Europe this holiday.

NWO

Pimpwerx said:

Agreed. Start dropping the price of the PSP rather than increasing the price with a stupidass gigapack.

40,000 x 4 = 160,000 a month

And sales will only increase. :)

PSP on the other hand, 14,000 x 4 = 56,000 a month. Which isnt bad actually. What youd expect from the UK market.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Forgive me, but I thought the PSP didn't have any shortage problems in UK.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Insane. I also predicted DS would soon be dead in the water after PSP launched- that it would lose momentum, while the PSP would gain it.

That was way off. We can also assume, with some HUGE online enabled titles coming out soon (Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, METROID(!!) ) these numbers are only going to increase. And once online explodes, so will word of mouth. I predict DS is going to sell very well for a very long time.

There are still major PSP shortages in the UK at least. However, that's all going to be academic in the long run if Sony don't sort things out soon - I imagine the plan is to unleash stock when the Xbox 360 is about to arrive, but far too many people are going to be content with their DS to bother with PSP.

Sony need to drop the PSP to a reasonable price (say....£150 + a game) and forget about manufactured shortages. They don't really work as well when the main opposition has an ace up their sleeve - In this case the excellent DS & the massive Nintendogs.

Top Bottom