• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted Collection on PC leak just killed my desire to get a PS5 (Techradar)

kiphalfton

When will people learn that releasing games on PC doesn't take away from console sales? Apparently not any time soon unfortunately.

Even as someone with a PC that's significantly more powerful than these consoles, Sony releasing their games on PC wouldn't affect my decision to buy or not buy a PS5.

People act like their imaginary wife or girlfriend got banged right in front of them.

Actually that may not even be a good analogy, as that assumes they're not cucks... which most these people getting upset are. Bitches may be a more apt description? I dunno, but in any case it's not that big of a deal.

I have a PS5 and PC, and I couldn't care less if the exclusive games got rereleased on PC. More buying options is always better.

Jurry132

Neo Member
Such a weird way of thinking. You fo not want to buy a console because some old games are coming to pc? Sony knows the only reason they are doing so well is because of their exclusives, so it will take years for them to get on pc.

-pepodmc

Neo Member
I dont care about uncharted, i change all uncharted saga for god of war 3 on PC (and ascension). and sure it will came in the future

My two cents:

Market becoming homogeneous - this is true to a degree simply because the current gen consoles and PC are very comparable architecture wise, way more than previous gens. On the other hand, I strongly believe a great part of the uniqueness of a title comes from the talent behind it, so as a whole there will be enough diversity going around.

It is smart of Sony to leverage their strong brand - Hardware is not the money maker. Neither is third party sales. What makes most margins are the first party titles and associated DLCs, season passes etc. If Sony is to improve margins, they have to improve the sales mix of first party sales. Due to hardware supply constraints, the number of new consoles they can sell are limited. So it's smart of them to offer first party titles elsewhere. A decent market and good margins. And makes sense when the competition is so intense.

For a consumer, more options the better - I'm not talking about people who are already entrenched in a platform and derive some value from being "part of a club". For someone who is just looking for a good game to play, wider availability and lower barriers to entry are undeniable upsides.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Such a weird way of thinking. You fo not want to buy a console because some old games are coming to pc? Sony knows the only reason they are doing so well is because of their exclusives, so it will take years for them to get on pc.
I think it's the assumption that you no longer need a PS5 for it's exclusives and that new games will also come to pc.
Which is reaching and will not happen day 1 so owning a PS5 is still ok for pc gamer

Dacon

Banned
Xbox fucking tanked last gen. Why get an xbox when all games are on PC. There is no fucking inherent value in a box. Its always software.

Same will happen to playstation. Especially with an easy to use steam deck class of portables/consoles.

LMFAO yeah the Xbox Division really got crippled last gen. I have no idea how they could justify the production of the XSX.

You're not serious are you?

ahtlas7

Season 2 Omg GIF by Friends
Season 2 Showtime GIF by The L Word: Generation Q

I want refund on my PS3

Kandi Burruss Reaction GIF
nuclear explosion GIF

Did Xbox fanboys shit their pants like this when all their games came out on pc?
I think some XBOX fans did react quite negatively if I remember correctly. It definitely seemed to hurt XBOX hardware sales though. That’s around when Microsoft started hiding their hardware numbers if I remember correctly. I’m still predicting PS5 games will eventually come to PC which I think is MUCH more detrimental to the PS5 than some old PS4 games being ported over.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I think some XBOX fans did react quite negatively if I remember correctly. It definitely seemed to hurt XBOX hardware sales though. That’s around when Microsoft started hiding their hardware numbers if I remember correctly. I’m still predicting PS5 games will eventually come to PC which I think is MUCH more detrimental to the PS5 than some old PS4 games being ported over.
Whether it's hurt hardware sales or not who knows. Gears PC was released and 360 sold great. And at that moment of time, Gears was the biggest new IP for consoles. And the PC edition even had more content and could run at 60 fps. Nobody seemed to care.

There's been many Xbox games released for console and PC. Halo, Gears, Forza, Fable have all had at least one game in the franchise release on PC. ANd some of them release on the same day as Xbox. Yet, virtually no Xbox gamers care if a game gets shared across different gamers on different platforms.

Yet PS gamers seem to care a lot more about sharing games across platforms. Go figure.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Games going to PC doesn’t harm Sony or Microsoft, it only helps them. The number of PC gamers that buy a PS or Xbox just for exclusives is minuscule, as is the number of console-only owners that stop buying consoles and buy a gaming pc instead. Why do you think Microsoft and now Sony are both doing it? I’m pretty sure that they’ve got access to more data than you or I or anyone on this forum has, and they’ve decided it’s worth it.

Before the end of the generation Sony will be dual releasing on PC as well. As usual they're just a step behind everyone else in their moves.

The only people it “hurts” are the diehard fanboys who only care about their toy getting games the other toys don’t, and they’re not going to jump ship because they’re the diehard fanboys so they’ll just shift gears and cling to some other thing to use as ammo.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Looks this rumour was partially true. PC port yes. But only two of the games.
Sony said months ago that Uncharted 4 was going to PC.

What we knew already = Uncharted 4 is going to PC eventually.

What was "leaked" = all 5 ND Uncharted games are going to PC in a single collection in December 2021. Ported by Nixxes.

What is true = Uncharted 4 & Lost Legacy are going to PS5 & PC in early 2022. Ported to PC by Iron Galaxy.

So partially true? Nah. All info added to what was public info by this fake was false.

Last edited:

Ryu Kaiba

After the exclusive has done its job pushing the console I see no harm in the games being ported elsewhere. For the sake of game preservation and having control of your catalogue it's worth everything being available on PC someday.

Games going to PC doesn’t harm Sony or Microsoft, it only helps them. The number of PC gamers that buy a PS or Xbox just for exclusives is minuscule, as is the number of console-only owners that stop buying consoles and buy a gaming pc instead. Why do you think Microsoft and now Sony are both doing it? I’m pretty sure that they’ve got access to more data than you or I or anyone on this forum has, and they’ve decided it’s worth it.

Before the end of the generation Sony will be dual releasing on PC as well. As usual they're just a step behind everyone else in their moves.

The only people it “hurts” are the diehard fanboys who only care about their toy getting games the other toys don’t, and they’re not going to jump ship because they’re the diehard fanboys so they’ll just shift gears and cling to some other thing to use as ammo.
Valid points, but hardware sales seem much more important to Sony than Microsoft who rely mostly on software sales. If the compelling reasons to snag a PS5 are gone, I think some gamers will wonder why seek one out? That’s why people are willing to pay exorbitant prices to get a PS5. The exclusive experiences it offers are the main draw and appeal of it like past PlayStation consoles. I know people buy Nintendo systems for exclusives and it isn’t coincidence that Switch is still selling astonishingly well. Exclusives can definitely help sell hardware.

Releasing older PS4 games on PC later is understandable, but I still think dual releasing PS5 games day one would be a mistake if Sony wants to sell as many PS5 consoles as possible.

I suppose some PlayStation fans feel that Sony spreading their games to PC makes their console seem less appealing and takes it’s identity away or something even if that may sound silly. We’ll see what the future holds.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Valid points, but hardware sales seem much more important to Sony than Microsoft who rely mostly on software sales. If the compelling reasons to snag a PS5 are gone, I think some gamers will wonder why seek one out? That’s why people are willing to pay exorbitant prices to get a PS5. The exclusive experiences it offers are the main draw and appeal of it like past PlayStation consoles. I know people buy Nintendo systems for exclusives and it isn’t coincidence that Switch is still selling astonishingly well. Exclusives can definitely help sell hardware.

Releasing older PS4 games on PC later is understandable, but I still think dual releasing PS5 games day one would be a mistake if Sony wants to sell as many PS5 consoles as possible.

I suppose some PlayStation fans feel that Sony spreading their games to PC makes their console seem less appealing and takes it’s identity away or something even if that may sound silly. We’ll see what the future holds.
The same reasons to buy the console hardware still exist though - it’s a plug and play console with years of support, peripherals, and the biggest user bases for every big game.

PC gaming is significantly more expensive, time consuming, and fiddly, which is why console owners don’t do it. Console and pc gaming are completely different markets with very little overlap, just like mobile phone gaming and console gaming.

As Sony has shown recently with all their money grabbing practices, money is their most important metric. Releasing games on PC is basically free money with zero downside. As I said, the only people that this affects negatively are their stuck in the mud customers that will never leave them anyway. Everyone else gains something from this.

The same reasons to buy the console hardware still exist though - it’s a plug and play console with years of support, peripherals, and the biggest user bases for every big game.

PC gaming is significantly more expensive, time consuming, and fiddly, which is why console owners don’t do it. Console and pc gaming are completely different markets with very little overlap, just like mobile phone gaming and console gaming.

As Sony has shown recently with all their money grabbing practices, money is their most important metric. Releasing games on PC is basically free money with zero downside. As I said, the only people that this affects negatively are their stuck in the mud customers that will never leave them anyway. Everyone else gains something from this.
That is true. I also imagine that there’s those people who are in between and have a decent PC and could desire a PS5 as well who don’t mind gaming on PC or console. I imagine those are the individuals who will skip a PS5 and use the funds to upgrade their PC’s instead. Yeah Sony’s latest tactics do indicate that they are after money first, so I still think PS5 games are coming to PC eventually.

Software-wise, Sony will make more money, but I don’t think the PS5 will manage to sale as well as it could because of the seemingly never ending hardware shortages, scalpers and lack of genuine exclusives. I feel this is truly what hurt XBOX One hardware sales. If Sony values software sales over hardware, this might not matter to them though. At the rate we are going, PS5’s might be as expensive as PC’s for awhile since it seems like scalpers are the only ones who consistently have them in stock.

chessy_08

Idk how people don't get there strategy. Sell exclusive on PS4 or PS5. Years later sell on pc. It's actually smart. Capitalize on both markets for peak profit. It's not like they are saying day 1 PS5 and pc exclusives

MrFunSocks

Banned
Idk how people don't get there strategy. Sell exclusive on PS4 or PS5. Years later sell on pc. It's actually smart. Capitalize on both markets for peak profit. It's not like they are saying day 1 PS5 and pc exclusives
It’s still a bit of a grey area if it’s smart to do it this way though. Do people care about a port of a game that released 5 years ago on old hardware when all the hype is gone and the sequel is almost out? If Uncharted 1 released on PC now would anyone care?

They should release both at once or within a month or 2 of each other to capitalise on the hype and press. Years later that’s all gone, and the game will likely review much worse on PC in 5 years time.

sn0man

Yeah? What I posted is a separate article.

PS5 games are coming to PC too. Not on the same day but that doesn’t matter. The point is Sony games are now on PC and there’s less reasons to own a PlayStation console.

People bringing up UC collection is a PS4 game like that matters. You’re also missing what the author is saying. He even says this means there’s a good chance any future Uncharted games will be on PC also.

Sony has already planted the idea in people heads that all PlayStation games will be on PC
Add in I can’t go get a PS5 in store but my late 2019 gaming PC is powerful enough to go play a lot of newish stuff.

It’s Sony possibly shooting Sony in the foot.

When the console isn’t restricted, then I can just pick and choose what I play. Honestly I bought a PS4 for the same reason I bought a PS2–4, to play Gran Turismo. We never got one for PS4 so I looked at other options in the racing genre. Maybe GT7 will come to PC and maybe it won’t.

If I can’t buy a PS5 next March (GT7 release) I’ll just buy some PC titles. No drama, just reality. If Sony kept everything exclusive, it would be compelling to buy a PS5 at some point to get that GT7 fix.

Yeah I think this splits the balance for many. For an old gamer like myself with a huge backlog I really only have time for 2 or 3 major exclusives a year. If TLOU3 and GT7 came to PC soon (a year or two) after PS5 release I’d wait for the PC port. If it was exclusive to the entire generation I’d probably not wait 5 years, and I’d get a PS5 at some point so I could experience those titles.

Console and pc gaming are completely different markets with very little overlap, just like mobile phone gaming and console gaming.
I think you might be projecting your worldview onto too many players. Through the years I’ve had NES, Genesis, N64, PS2, xbox 360, WiiU, PS4, and Switch. I go where it looks like the big games are or where the exclusives are.

ive also had a PC for that entire time. For me (and I assume others) some games (RTS, FPS) just feel better at a desk with mouse and keyboard, while some games (fighters, racers, action adventure) rock on a couch with controller.

Sony would be smart to just come out with a rule or ruberic. I’ll make one up for them: our titles going forward are exclusive for 3 years on PS consoles before going to PC. For some games (Gran Turismo), I might not wait 3 years. Right now though it’s not clear what will happen so I’m cautious.

I didn’t buy uncharted 4/LL because I was waiting for a release of a definitive physical edition with PS4Pro support.

Also, doesn’t uncharted have multiplayer? Can I play it on PC for free without a subscription to PS+?

Now an even better edition is coming. A PS5/PC edition

Great, so I can play Uncharted, a game in my back catalog, with the same graphics as the PS5 edition, without paying for the online multiplayer and without playing stockx party to snag a PS5.

Sweet! I didn’t buy uncharted 4/LL because I was waiting for a release on PS4Pro definitive physical edition. Now I can skip to the definitive PC edition.

my 2 cents

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Add in I can’t go get a PS5 in store but my late 2019 gaming PC is powerful enough to go play a lot of newish stuff.

It’s Sony possibly shooting Sony in the foot.

When the console isn’t restricted, then I can just pick and choose what I play. Honestly I bought a PS4 for the same reason I bought a PS2–4, to play Gran Turismo. We never got one for PS4 so I looked at other options in the racing genre. Maybe GT7 will come to PC and maybe it won’t.

If I can’t buy a PS5 next March (GT7 release) I’ll just buy some PC titles. No drama, just reality. If Sony kept everything exclusive, it would be compelling to buy a PS5 at some point to get that GT7 fix.

Yeah I think this splits the balance for many. For an old gamer like myself with a huge backlog I really only have time for 2 or 3 major exclusives a year. If TLOU3 and GT7 came to PC soon (a year or two) after PS5 release I’d wait for the PC port. If it was exclusive to the entire generation I’d probably not wait 5 years, and I’d get a PS5 at some point so I could experience those titles.

I think you might be projecting your worldview onto too many players. Through the years I’ve had NES, Genesis, N64, PS2, xbox 360, WiiU, PS4, and Switch. I go where it looks like the big games are or where the exclusives are.

ive also had a PC for that entire time. For me (and I assume others) some games (RTS, FPS) just feel better at a desk with mouse and keyboard, while some games (fighters, racers, action adventure) rock on a couch with controller.

Sony would be smart to just come out with a rule or ruberic. I’ll make one up for them: our titles going forward are exclusive for 3 years on PS consoles before going to PC. For some games (Gran Turismo), I might not wait 3 years. Right now though it’s not clear what will happen so I’m cautious.

I didn’t buy uncharted 4/LL because I was waiting for a release of a definitive physical edition with PS4Pro support.

Also, doesn’t uncharted have multiplayer? Can I play it on PC for free without a subscription to PS+?

Now an even better edition is coming. A PS5/PC edition

Great, so I can play Uncharted, a game in my back catalog, with the same graphics as the PS5 edition, without paying for the online multiplayer and without playing stockx party to snag a PS5.

Sweet! I didn’t buy uncharted 4/LL because I was waiting for a release on PS4Pro definitive physical edition. Now I can skip to the definitive PC edition.

my 2 cents
My “worldview” is shared by Microsoft, and will soon be by Sony.

GreatnessRD

I'll never understand this viewpoint. It's so goofy to me. You have people beating down online stores, using bots and other means to get PS5's and PC parts. Neither can keep stock. Sony isn't going to lose a got damn thing just because some PC folks are deciding not to grab a PS5. You have some who've never owned a console, it isn't loss money. Sony will continue to get money hand over fist and everyday consumers will continue to grab the console. Console gaming isn't going anywhere no time soon. You have a crowd of people who're going to buy a game they now have access to for the first time. That's more money in the till for poor Sony. I wish these "Sony gonna lose money" warriors would relax and shut the hell up, lol.

Derktron

Banned
Why does this guy think anyone cares? This whole topic is stupid (i.e. "exclusive" console ports being released on other platforms).
Because Sony fanboys care, trust me if you hang out in places where they hang out you would see the absolute rage over this happening. It's very scary how these people act solely because a game is coming to another console. I think the idea of fanboyism is very dangerous and should be treated as a threat.

but the pc tryhards do.
They will not get even cheapest used 150usd ps4 slim to play some of best games ever (bloodborne, uc4, tlou2) and will stubbornly keep themselves from this amazing experiences.... only to wait 5-10 years for pc version that will be full of issues and most likely suck and give them a bad idea about the game anyway
This is the worst take. I should buy different hardware to play a game when it ends up coming to PC anyway? There's no platform that has more game options than PC, so I doubt many PC gamers are really "waiting" on these previously Sony exclusives. If a game is released and I'm interested, I'll pick it up.

And if developers can't port a PS4 game to PC without it being full of issues, why would I want to play the game anyway?

sn0man

My “worldview” is shared by Microsoft, and will soon be by Sony.
Sorry I should have been more specific.

It’s plug and play is an advantage of a console but if you get over the hump of downloading steam or whatever and purchasing a game that way 1 single time, it’s no more difficult most of the time to me. Maybe not always but often.

years of support. Steam has been supported for over a decade for example. Games that came out on PC (the orange box) also came out on PS3. Sony dropped support for those titles.

peripherals. All the major PC/Mac/Linux are supporting the Sony/Microsoft controllers more rapidly now. A PC also supports steering wheels of many more kinds, it supports VR headsets from multiple manufacturers, also keyboard and mouse support is native.

biggest user base. Fortnight is everywhere. A console is actively restrictive for the aforementioned peripheral reasons.
MrFunSocks said:
Console and pc gaming are completely different markets with very little overlap, just like mobile phone gaming and console gaming.
In the past, Mobile gaming on a phone to me felt like gambling houses and nothing more. Clearly that is a bias I am showing though. You can play fortnight or call of duty on a phone.

Computing power, wether by PC, console, or mobile phone are getting more homogenized. I would argue that for a console maker that has no control in other markets there may be a lot to lose.

Sony has no PC: Vaio is long gone; Sony doesn’t make an operating system. Sony has very little in mobile phones; Sony phones are a small minority globally.

Sony exclusive software, I would argue, is THE reason to buy their dedicated hardware in 2021. Going to PC, could help the software sales, but I don’t see how it is going to help hardware sales. Hardware that (maybe not after Epic v Apple) brings Sony third party 30% revenue and PS+ subscription revenue.

ParaSeoul

Matt (Twitter) is TechRadar's Senior Computing editor. Having written for a number of publications such as PC Plus, PC Format, T3 and Linux Format, there's no aspect of technology that Matt isn't passionate about, especially computing and PC gaming. If you're encountering a problem or need some advice with your PC or Mac, drop him a line on Twitter.

Three

I'm no longer going to buy a PS5 because PS3/PS4 games are coming to PC. That's what I wanted it for.

I'm also not going to buy a nice looking PS5 game that's actually a PS3 game because I played that years ago.

/s

umar45

Banned

sure

Lognor

Banned
Difference is Microsoft arent trying to sell games or console . Only Gamepass
This is asinine. Of course they are trying to sell games and consoles. Every game on Game Pass is purchasable. Microsoft is selling out of Series X consoles. They are doing all of those things. Maybe they have been putting a bigger focus on the subscription aspect, but they are still doing the other things.

I think it's a great move by Sony. I bought a PS4 solely for Bloodborne. If it had released on PC I would have never bought a PS4. So if the few Sony games I'm interested in release on PC I won't ever need to pick up a PS5. I'm not holding out hope though. Uncharted is a good start though.

umar45

Banned
This is asinine. Of course they are trying to sell games and consoles. Every game on Game Pass is purchasable. Microsoft is selling out of Series X consoles. They are doing all of those things. Maybe they have been putting a bigger focus on the subscription aspect, but they are still doing the other things.

I think it's a great move by Sony. I bought a PS4 solely for Bloodborne. If it had released on PC I would have never bought a PS4. So if the few Sony games I'm interested in release on PC I won't ever need to pick up a PS5. I'm not holding out hope though. Uncharted is a good start though.
it isnt. the only reason why they even bothered with a new console was thanks to gamepass they see it as a gamepass box.All of their showcases are pretty much gamepass showcases . if they cared about game sales they would not be putting their games on gamepass day one and they would be giving us console sales numbers which after 2014 they stopped giving. Which was around the same time they considered shutting down the xbox division.

Swift_Star

Banned
Who cares? It's fine if you want to game on a PC and it's fine it you want to game on a PS5. Does this guy want validation for his choice? Lmao.

Lognor

Banned
it isnt. the only reason why they even bothered with a new console was thanks to gamepass they see it as a gamepass box.All of their showcases are pretty much gamepass showcases . if they cared about game sales they would not be putting their games on gamepass day one and they would be giving us console sales numbers which after 2014 they stopped giving. Which was around the same time they considered shutting down the xbox division.
No, it is. Game Pass is not mandatory so your argument fails. Microsoft still wants to sell consoles, still wants to sell games, still wants to sell subscriptions. They want to do it all. That's why they offer a discount to purchase on Game Pass games. They want to sell you those games.

"If they cared about game sales they would be giving us console numbers." WTF does that even mean? Dude, you're talking shit.

Whether you like it or not, Xbox is a central tenet of Microsoft going forward. They're going to pour a ton of money into it to make sure they are successful.

Swift_Star

Banned
They can have both. They surely wants
both game sales AND gamepass subscriptions.

Last edited:

umar45

Banned
No, it is. Game Pass is not mandatory so your argument fails. Microsoft still wants to sell consoles, still wants to sell games, still wants to sell subscriptions. They want to do it all. That's why they offer a discount to purchase on Game Pass games. They want to sell you those games.

"If they cared about game sales they would be giving us console numbers." WTF does that even mean? Dude, you're talking shit.

Whether you like it or not, Xbox is a central tenet of Microsoft going forward. They're going to pour a ton of money into it to make sure they are successful.
not going to repeat myself. if they cared about game sales they would not be putting their games on gamepass day one and they would be giving us console sales numbers which after 2014 they stopped giving. If u cant understand what basic English means then not my problem. How has gamepass helped game sales for third party games so far? oh wait it hasnt helped Games to continue to sell less and less on xbox

Swift_Star

Banned
not going to repeat myself. if they cared about game sales they would not be putting their games on gamepass day one and they would be giving us console sales numbers which after 2014 they stopped giving. If u cant understand what basic English means then not my problem. How has gamepass helped game sales for third party games so far? oh wait it hasnt helped Games to continue to sell less and less on xbox
If MS didn't want to sell consoles, why would they build two Series consoles?

umar45

Banned
They can have both. They surely wants
both game sales AND gamepass subscriptions.
u cant have both. One will either increase and the other decrease. So far game sales in general on xbox have decreased even more since they started pushing gamepass hard and putting their games on their day one. Now a lot of their userbase has this mentally where they will wait for the game to come to gamepass or they wont play it and they want everything on gamepass day one

Top Bottom