• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection launches on January 28, 2022 on PS5

Zimmy68

I went back to play UC4 since I never finished it and want to give myself an excuse to pay the $10 upgrade.
It is tough to justify because the game already looks great on PS5, and 65-75% of the game is traversal and puzzles.
Which means the framerate is not a huge issue to me.
I just started Chapter 13 and can't see myself slogging through the game from the start.
Tomb Raider gave you skill progression, so there are reasons to back track (areas that were previously closed, etc)

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Halfway through now, I have to say their implementation of HDR is good. I don't remember the lighting looking so good, but it has been around five years since I played it.

10$ upgrade is better than what most expected them to be ultra greedy and sell this as a new collection for 70$.

Not having 4K 60fps is pretty disappointing though. The PS5 is 10.2 TF with a much more efficient and new architecture compared to the PS4 1.8TF. The power increase is a lot more than what would usually amount to going from 1080p30 to 4k60.

Looks like this could've been an easy free patch that was released together with the PS5.
The answer is simple why there's no 4K 60. While the PS5 is probably easily capable of playing a game like this in 4k 60, it simply does not because the game is programmed for the old architecture. If you want to make use of the new architecture which gives you more power you'd have to rewrite the complete graphics engine/pipelines which might be a bit much to ask for a simple upgrade.

ManaByte

The answer is simple why there's no 4K 60. While the PS5 is probably easily capable of playing a game like this in 4k 60, it simply does not because the game is programmed for the old architecture. If you want to make use of the new architecture which gives you more power you'd have to rewrite the complete graphics engine/pipelines which might be a bit much to ask for a simple upgrade.

Then how do you explain Ghost of Tsushima?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I noticed that it defaults to auto(medium) dynamic range when it detects pulse 3d. Shouldn't headphones be able to do more range?
Anyway - I am having difficulty choosing the right mode. I am sitting close and the 4k really pops out sharp. And 30fps in this game is pretty nice... until you try 60 that is.
And I have a trouble deciding if I want to play with HGIG or dynamic tone mapping. Last year I played it with hgig when I got my c1

New nick comparison !

Vick

Gold Member
Just found out that Nadine wasn't originally in Amy Hennig's Uncharted 4, even if most of the rest was there.

Can't say i'm suprised. Also, her version of the story sounds much better than what we got (which is still great).

New nick comparison !
I'm not going to trust any comparisons online after this Collection.. John from DF included, considering how anal he should be when it comes to these things. "Archival version of Uncharted 4" my ass..

I'm currently at 462 pics taken of any downgrade the game got compared to original release.. most of the time looks pretty much identical, and the amount of improvements is far higher than you'd think, but unfortunately there's also lots of instances of missing VFX, worse shaders, worse AO, worse or entirely missing shadows even, visual glitches, worse or entirely missing reflections, and so on.

It's extremely disappointing. However also understandable considering the unbelievable amount of efforts it takes to port a game like this.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Just found out that Nadine wasn't originally in Amy Hennig's Uncharted 4, even if most of the rest was there.

Can't say i'm suprised. Also, her version of the story sounds much better than what we got (which is still great).

I'm not going to trust any comparisons online after this Collection.. John from DF included, considering how anal he should be when it comes to these things. "Archival version of Uncharted 4" my ass..

I'm currently at 462 pics taken of any downgrade the game got compared to original release.. most of the time looks pretty much identical, and the amount of improvements is far higher than you'd think, but unfortunately there's also lots of instances of missing VFX, worse shaders, worse AO, worse or entirely missing shadows even, visual glitches, worse or entirely missing reflections, and so on.

It's extremely disappointing. However also understandable considering the unbelievable amount of efforts it takes to port a game like this.

you are saying the new release is worse and has missing effects?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It's not worse, but yes, it has an awful lot of little visual downgrades and glitches. Some not even little.
Is there some proof or examples? Why wouldn't even nick show any downgrades?
You sure you do no confuse different with worse ?

RPS37

I feel like the love for this collection is disproportionately fueled by TLOU2 hate.
I just finished TLOU2 on PS5 and then tried to get into UC4 in here and I was just like…meh.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
While I wasn't happy in having to pay an upgrade fee, I will say I'd rather pay the fee and get the upgrade than have no update at all. This game at 4k looks amazing and is a lot of fun to play still.

Last edited:

Vick

Gold Member
500 ?!
Waiting for you to post some comparisons then
Almost 500 pictures in total at the moment, so it would be more like 250 "issues" since in those 500 are included pictures of both Original and Remaster.

Granted, while some are super noticeable, most of these are uber nitpick hour.
But it's Naughty Dog, the Remaster still includes waaay too many improvements and is the version will be eventually ported in the future, and after trying 60fps in this game is impossible to go back to the original, so they piss me off regardless. And i'm wishfully hoping they'll be address if forwarded to ND in some way.

I'll tag you when i'm done.

Last edited:
I feel like the love for this collection is disproportionately fueled by TLOU2 hate.
I just finished TLOU2 on PS5 and then tried to get into UC4 in here and I was just like…meh.
They play very differently
I couldn't help myself, paid my $10 and upgraded. I haven't played UC4 since about 2017 pso I felt like it was time to revisit it anyways.

First impressions: fidelity mode feels really half assed. It barely looks better than performance mode for too great a sacrifice in FPS, and overall, neither mode looks that much better than what we got on the PS4 Pro. So that's a let down.
peop le
I did notice they made minor adjustments to the gameplay within certain sequences thus far which makes the game play better. Small things, like where the camera aims at the conclusion of certain scripted events, how smoothly the player can move about in certain circumstances, that kind of thing. Maybe I am just fooling myself but it does really feel like it is playing better.

And that's it so far. Two hours in and it's UC4, looking slightly better than I I

n I remember it.t
Compared this remaster with the excellent work they did on Last of Us 1 Remastered and this is disappointing.

I hate to say this as I only have a Ps5 but this is another example reaffirming my belief that the Ps5 is not powerful enough to run games the way I hoped. This is a linear game from ps4 and they can't do better than 1440p/60 with a very minor settings bump (there's hardly anything done on this mode visually).

People may scoff at that but I've played everything there is to play this gen and the ps5 never manages to hit the type of visuals that the rtx 2080 could hit on last gen/cross gen/current gen games. People say that once Unreal 5 engine games appear them its "true power" will be revealed but there's no reason you need a next gen engine to see gains on cross gen games or remasters. If they could pull off higher settings and resolutions they would.

All the most impressive games are seemingly only capable of 30 fps with Ultra settings- like Guardians of the Galaxy/avengers/control (not even ultra)/watch dogs legion/greedfall/ac valhalla and many more. Every remaster/ps5 upgradeThe performance modes are scaled back from fidelity, obviously, but the ps5 and Series X often get compared to Rtx 2080 and which games have similar settings to that card in the 60 fps mode? Every Remaster, like Alan Wake/ghost of tsushima/Uncharted 4 wasn't able to do Ultra at 60fps. Most don't get above 1440p either.

Shmunter

They play very differently

Compared this remaster with the excellent work they did on Last of Us 1 Remastered and this is disappointing.

I hate to say this as I only have a Ps5 but this is another example reaffirming my belief that the Ps5 is not powerful enough to run games the way I hoped. This is a linear game from ps4 and they can't do better than 1440p/60 with a very minor settings bump (there's hardly anything done on this mode visually).

People may scoff at that but I've played everything there is to play this gen and the ps5 never manages to hit the type of visuals that the rtx 2080 could hit on last gen/cross gen/current gen games. People say that once Unreal 5 engine games appear them its "true power" will be revealed but there's no reason you need a next gen engine to see gains on cross gen games or remasters. If they could pull off higher settings and resolutions they would.

All the most impressive games are seemingly only capable of 30 fps with Ultra settings- like Guardians of the Galaxy/avengers/control (not even ultra)/watch dogs legion/greedfall/ac valhalla and many more. Every remaster/ps5 upgradeThe performance modes are scaled back from fidelity, obviously, but the ps5 and Series X often get compared to Rtx 2080 and which games have similar settings to that card in the 60 fps mode? Every Remaster, like Alan Wake/ghost of tsushima/Uncharted 4 wasn't able to do Ultra at 60fps. Most don't get above 1440p either.
Nah, it’s a glorified bc game. They repackaged the same exact assets for the new i/o and that’s about it. No changes to engine, no code upgrades. 4k/60 is tough at the best of times, and they didn’t even bother implementing any reconstruction techniques to achieve it - the low effort is telling.

Vick

Gold Member
They repackaged the same exact assets for the new i/o and that’s about it.
Well, not entirely true. Lots of textures are of much higher quality for instance. Same textures of course, as every single one of them was hand made and the paintery style of the game wasn't going to (and shouldn't) change one bit, but some are of so much higher quality they don't even seem the same. Others, well, they were insanely hi-res to begin with.
I'll never stop saying, there are ALOT of improvements here.
Also better PBR in at least two instances i noticed, better reflections most of the time, awful lots of fixes and changes here and there, much better vegetation in some sequences, LOD significantly improved which really makes a difference at times, sporadic much better water (like the fountain in Rossi Estate, or sea in the Epilogue), better texture filtering, better AO at times..

But sure, they could have done much more. Improved shadows for instance would truly make a MASSIVE difference in most sequences, and the fact they haven't even bothered is simply inexcusable.
Also as i said, all this work unfortunately lead to a huge quantity of little issues, which i hope to see fixed.

They didn’t even bother implementing any reconstruction techniques to achieve it -
I think they simply can't at the moment.

the low effort is telling.
Eh.. porting games like Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy in a relatively short time requires HUGE efforts. They are not simple games, to say the least.

But it's like they stopped at 90%.. either that, or PS5 simply couldn't handle the fully upgraded game they were planning at 1440p/60 and 1080p/120.. which i doubt.

Shmunter

Well, not entirely true. Lots of textures are of much higher quality for instance. Same textures of course, as every single one of them was hand made and the paintery style of the game wasn't going to (and shouldn't) change one bit, but some are of so much higher quality they don't even seem the same. Others, well, they were insanely hi-res to begin with.
I'll never stop saying, there are ALOT of improvements here.
Also better PBR in at least two instances i noticed, better reflections most of the time, awful lots of fixes and changes here and there, much better vegetation in some sequences, LOD significantly improved which really makes a difference at times, sporadic much better water (like the fountain in Rossi Estate, or sea in the Epilogue), better texture filtering, better AO at times..

But sure, they could have done much more. Improved shadows for instance would truly make a MASSIVE difference in most sequences, and the fact they haven't even bothered is simply inexcusable.
Also as i said, all this work unfortunately lead to a huge quantity of little issues, which i hope to see fixed.

I think they simply can't at the moment.

Eh.. porting games like Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy in a relatively short time requires HUGE efforts. They are not simple games, to say the least.

But it's like they stopped at 90%.. either that, or PS5 simply couldn't handle the fully upgraded game they were planning at 1440p/60 and 1080p/120.. which i doubt.
Even with higher rez textures, I’m convinced it’s all from the cutting room floor put in due to more ram, and nothing new has been created here. The rest it’s basic slider pushes fro my perspective. Not even including the multiplayer for no good reason.

Anyway, I bought it because I’m keen on a 60fps play through - but i would have been satisfied with frame unlock from PS4 pro.

Vick

Gold Member
and nothing new has been created here.
No no, they did created/altered assets here and there. It's rare, but they absolutely did, trust me on that.
I'm only collecting pictures of the downgrades right now, but i do remember those instances so i guess if you want proof i could show you.

but i would have been satisfied with frame unlock from PS4 pro.
I would have been even more satisfied in that case.
Because after witnessing all these improvements i'm stuck with the choice of either the original at 30fps, but intact, or this recreation at 60fps with lots of upgrades but almost equal amount of issues.

Ironbunny

First time playing the Lost Legacy and greatly enjoyed it troughout. Played it in fidelity mode and the low fps did bug me at first but I did get accustomed to it quite fast. Game is graphically great looking and at times stunning on oled HDR. For an old game it is a beast. Will be interesting to see how these games look on PC.

Noticed instantly that Claudia Black played Chloe Frazer. The little face movements and the way she carried herself are straight copied from Claudia. Loved her as Frazer. She and Nate would make a great pair. No idea if theres already been a one where they are a pair as I have only played UC4 and Lost Legacy.

saintjules

This is my 3rd playthrough of UC4 since I first bought it. Been playing at 120fps for most of it so far and it definitely feels like a completely different experience. 60fps is also great, but with 120, the aiming and moving around in the world feels so much smoother.

The way the Characters move too feels like watching the mocap sessions in person. Really, really good stuff. Worth the $10.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Noticed instantly that Claudia Black played Chloe Frazer. The little face movements and the way she carried herself are straight copied from Claudia. Loved her as Frazer. She and Nate would make a great pair. No idea if theres already been a one where they are a pair as I have only played UC4 and Lost Legacy.
Uncharted 2

RPS37

I don't "get" Uncharted, is generic action adventure game to me.
I’d take it a step further and just say third person shooter.

Super shallow compared to, TLOU a stealth action game with looting and crafting and skill progression .

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I think this is great, wish they would do this for the uncharted collection (I know a lot more work/time so unlikely)

I went back to play UC4 since I never finished it and want to give myself an excuse to pay the $10 upgrade.
It is tough to justify because the game already looks great on PS5, and 65-75% of the game is traversal and puzzles.
Which means the framerate is not a huge issue to me.
I just started Chapter 13 and can't see myself slogging through the game from the start.
Tomb Raider gave you skill progression, so there are reasons to back track (areas that were previously closed, etc)
Bro ..the game is good enough to replay for the sake of it. Btw, 60 fps makes the combat a lot better. Visually, I don't see much difference. It's there but isn't very impactful. The Haptics are nice but they are very average. It's still worth $10 though but barely.

I don't "get" Uncharted, is generic action adventure game to me.
What makes it great is its like playing a blockbuster Indiana Jones movie. The production values are insane, which combined with a movie quality story (it's well written with good characterization and excellent acting) and solid but not innovative gameplay and the most impressive set pieces in gaming, make the game special. We don't think of blockbuster action/adventure movies as being high art but how many GAMES pull that off well?

If your someone who values pure gameplay over cinematic and set pieces than I can see why a game like this doesn't do it for you though. Even still, the 3rd person shooting is vastly improved in this game compared to UC1-3. There's some quality gameplay bits though with some nice level design. Using the terrain and rope swing is pretty fun. It's a lot more enjoyable that something like Rdr2's combat, that's for sure *though I played that on shitty console 30 fps).

If you do play it I recommend trying to find the little treasures hidden in levels. They're not part of any progression system though bit I had fun trying to find them all. You get a trophy for collecting them all that's it. So while this game doesn't have a progression system like the Tomb Raider games, the story and gameplay is ma lot better. I forgot to mention there are some pretty enjoyable little puzzles in UC4.

Last edited:

Aaron Olive

I couldn't help myself, paid my $10 and upgraded. I haven't played UC4 since about 2017 so I felt like it was time to revisit it anyways.

First impressions: fidelity mode feels really half assed. It barely looks better than performance mode for too great a sacrifice in FPS, and overall, neither mode looks that much better than what we got on the PS4 Pro. So that's a let down.

I did notice they made minor adjustments to the gameplay within certain sequences thus far which makes the game play better. Small things, like where the camera aims at the conclusion of certain scripted events, how smoothly the player can move about in certain circumstances, that kind of thing. Maybe I am just fooling myself but it does really feel like it is playing better.

And that's it so far. Two hours in and it's UC4, looking slightly better than I remember it, playing slightly better than I remember it.
Paid $1.04 thanks to Sony Rewards, looks great on LG C1.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I finished TLOU2 on PS5 and just finished Lost Legacy in this collection and Lost Legacy was a lot more fun in the end. The last half of TLOU2 was just puke.

abby-tlou2.gif

bender

What time is it?
Actually I ended up liking Abby a lot more than Ellie. I’d want TLOU3 to focus on Abby instead of Ellie, who they turned into an obtuse idiot by the end of TLOU2.

Not too far off from my thoughts but I ended up liking neither. The strength of the original was the relationship between Joel and Ellie and not necessarily the characters themselves.

drotahorror

No no, they did created/altered assets here and there. It's rare, but they absolutely did, trust me on that.
I'm only collecting pictures of the downgrades right now, but i do remember those instances so i guess if you want proof i could show you.

I would have been even more satisfied in that case.
Because after witnessing all these improvements i'm stuck with the choice of either the original at 30fps, but intact, or this recreation at 60fps with lots of upgrades but almost equal amount of issues.

Are you going to post some examples?

Vick

Gold Member
Are you going to post some examples?
Still going.. two Chapters left.

But i'm not taking pictures of upgrades, just issues i want to see fixed. If you want a very quick example of new assets, look at the cutscene where Sam escapes with Alcazar, the rock formation behind the sign "Entrada de la Prison".

saintjules

As I keep playing more and more, resolution+ was the right mode for me. 120fps is absolutely great. Super fluid and makes the new playthrough a whole new experience. Highly recommend.

Top Bottom