• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection launches on January 28, 2022 on PS5

Hezekiah

Banned
Second mode the best imo

What do you guys think???

Also i really hope that Sony DLSS solution is real and coming soon, it will basically mean that 1440p, 60fps is gonna be pretty much quite same as 4K, 60fps, would be too neat!!
Yeah. If you're going to get this, surely you want to play at 60fps.

120fps would be great, but the resolution sacrifice isn't worth it imo, plus the difference isn't quite as great as the jump from 30 to 60.

All these people wanting free things: Do you work for free? Devs worked hundreds of hours on these PS5 upgrades, and they shouldn't be paid for their time? That makes no sense! Just because some other games allowed for "Free PS5 Upgrade", doesn't mean that every one of the PS4 to PS5 upgrades should be free. You're not entitled to anything free. Those other "Free upgrade" games, the studios were paying those devs, and rightly so, and chose not charge extra for the upgrade since Sony, as part of their PS5 launch promotions, most likely already paid for all of that.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Real time indirect lighting would actually create more shadows.

The gen unless theres significant improvements beyond resolution, fps and texture quality charging for remaster is really greedy and uncompetitive.
Again. There is already real time lighting in Uncharted 4.

NickFire

All these people wanting free things: Do you work for free? Devs worked hundreds of hours on these PS5 upgrades, and they shouldn't be paid for their time? That makes no sense! Just because some other games allowed for "Free PS5 Upgrade", doesn't mean that every one of the PS4 to PS5 upgrades should be free. You're not entitled to anything free. Those other "Free upgrade" games, the studios were paying those devs, and rightly so, and chose not charge extra for the upgrade since Sony, as part of their PS5 launch promotions, most likely already paid for all of that.
I couldn't care less about the upgrade fee. But not offering the same upgrade path to those who got it via PS+ is a scummy move IMO. We might not have paid a lot for it, but we still paid for it.

Hezekiah

Banned
I couldn't care less about the upgrade fee. But not offering the same upgrade path to those who got it via PS+ is a scummy move IMO. We might not have paid a lot for it, but we still paid for it.
They always do that though don't they.

PS+ 'doesnt count' the same way.

Skifi28

All these people wanting free things: Do you work for free? Devs worked hundreds of hours on these PS5 upgrades, and they shouldn't be paid for their time? That makes no sense!
Here we go again, back to "poor devs". They don't work for free, they are being paid by Sony whether what they worked for is released for free or not. The issue is not the devs, it' Sony. They've never made more money and yet they've never been stingier with it. How about showing some appreciation to those paying the bills? It'd go a long way.

Where the hell is the first three games? So you want players on PC to get into the franchise by starting on the 4th game? This is stupid.

That's certainly one way to look at it.

Another way to look at it is you've already paid the developers and this is low-cost development that doesn't necessarily justify additional compensation and that will almost certainly increase the revenue based on people purchasing the game due to the upgrade. Many can look at this low cost development as good customer service and customer relations.

If a million people upgraded from the PS4 to PS5 version, that's roughly 10 million dollars of revenue (not even including the PC Port and new console sales). Did it cost them anywhere close to 10 million dollars to do some framerate increases on better hardware? I can assure you it didn't. So the question then becomes is the margin they're looking for here justified? And consumers are the ones who determine that.

People see this and they (rightfully in my estimation) believe this is a joyless cash grab. And ultimately, we'll make the decision to not buy this. If it was 4K60 with rtx, maybe I'd pay 10 bucks to upgrade, but 4K30? That's a strong pass for me. As I mentioned earlier, I give it less than 12 months before Sony decides to put this on PS+ for free altogether, saving them from actually giving another game of greater value.

kyliethicc

I never said there wasent.

The indirect lighting is precalculated though

Pre calculated and real time. Both can be true.

You're confusing the term "baked" with "pre-computed". They mean different things in this context. Baked GI bakes all the lighting (GI or otherwise) into the textures, and is completely static. There are no calculations being performed, you can't change the color, intensity, direction, etc... of the lights. Uncharted4 is using pre-computed real-time GI. You can move lights around, change their color, intensity, etc.. and the world will respond to the changes in real time. You can pre-compute how light will behave when it strikes a surface, the light is going to bounce the same way and the same direction off a box regardless if its blue or red, bright or dim. This greatly reduces the load on the engine for calculating GI, since it only needs to worry about the color, intensity and other properties. The path the light is going to bounce is already calculated for it.

Unity, UE4 and UC4 all use pre-computed GI.

kyliethicc

Where the hell is the first three games? So you want players on PC to get into the franchise by starting on the 4th game? This is stupid.
Uncharted 4 was written with new players in mind.

Sam himself is a meta new player. Learning about Nate for the first time, catching up on all the stories.

Uncharted 1-3 probably need a lot more work in order to sell on PC, even remastered they are extremely aged games. An Uncharted 1-3 remake on PC and PS5 is more likely down the line, but also would take more time.

NickFire

They always do that though don't they.

PS+ 'doesnt count' the same way.
Off the top of my head I only recall this being an issue with Final Fantasy earlier this year. Not sure if there were others before this one.

Honestly, I probably wouldn't have batted in eye if it weren't for the atrocious tactic of including a trial game for PS5 PS+ this month. Or if they hadn't delayed multiple big titles into 2022.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Pre calculated and real time. Both can be true.

You're confusing the term "baked" with "pre-computed". They mean different things in this context. Baked GI bakes all the lighting (GI or otherwise) into the textures, and is completely static. There are no calculations being performed, you can't change the color, intensity, direction, etc... of the lights. Uncharted4 is using pre-computed real-time GI. You can move lights around, change their color, intensity, etc.. and the world will respond to the changes in real time. You can pre-compute how light will behave when it strikes a surface, the light is going to bounce the same way and the same direction off a box regardless if its blue or red, bright or dim. This greatly reduces the load on the engine for calculating GI, since it only needs to worry about the color, intensity and other properties. The path the light is going to bounce is already calculated for it.

Unity, UE4 and UC4 all use pre-computed GI.
Im talking about indirect sunlight, those objects will react to a flashlight, yes, but when lit by indirect sunlight some objects will lack shadows and accurate lighting.

A really easy way to explain it is that Uncharted 4 is using a similar lighting system to metro exodus on the PS4/X1.
If UC4 had an RT Gi system like exodus enhanced we would see a similer improvement.

If this is just 1440p/60 with no graphical improvements than this is another DISAPPOINTMENT of a "ps5 upgrade". Seriously, WTF, and they're calling it a Remaster?

Spiderman Remastered was an actual remaster because they actually improved the graphics, added RT, improved LODS, etc

Nobody on ps5 wants to have to play this at 30 fps to get better visuals. This is Naughty Dog man. Wtf happened to them and shouldn't Sony be wanting these exclusives to actually shine on ps5?! Game is already 1440p at 30 fps so 1440/60 on ps5 should have higher graphics settings.

kyliethicc

Im talking about indirect sunlight, those objects will react to a flashlight, yes, but when lit by indirect sunlight some objects will lack shadows and accurate lighting.

A really easy way to explain it is that Uncharted 4 is using a similar lighting system to metro exodus on the PS4/X1.
If UC4 had an RT Gi system like exodus enhanced we would see a similer improvement.
Yes I'm aware Uncharted doesn't use RT for its lighting.

Off the top of my head I only recall this being an issue with Final Fantasy earlier this year. Not sure if there were others before this one.

Honestly, I probably wouldn't have batted in eye if it weren't for the atrocious tactic of including a trial game for PS5 PS+ this month. Or if they hadn't delayed multiple big titles into 2022.
Sony just plain SUCKS these days. I'm sorry but every damn decision they've made in the last year has been terrible.

Mattyp

Gold Member

Lmfao this actually reads as a memed 4chan reply I don’t know if it’s meant to be serious or not.

..What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals…

NickFire

Sony just plain SUCKS these days. I'm sorry but every damn decision they've made in the last year has been terrible.
I don't fault you for being more salty about Sony than I am at the moment, but I wouldn't go as far as saying every decision was bad. I'm definitely jealous of those playing Forza while GT is delayed, but if they felt a delay was needed then its for the best. And I'm a life long console guy, so the PC stuff doesn't bother me in the least either. I just wish they wouldn't be so damn "corporate" all the damn time while pitching themselves as for the players.

KAL2006

Banned
That's certainly one way to look at it.

Another way to look at it is you've already paid the developers and this is low-cost development that doesn't necessarily justify additional compensation and that will almost certainly increase the revenue based on people purchasing the game due to the upgrade. Many can look at this low cost development as good customer service and customer relations.

If a million people upgraded from the PS4 to PS5 version, that's roughly 10 million dollars of revenue (not even including the PC Port and new console sales). Did it cost them anywhere close to 10 million dollars to do some framerate increases on better hardware? I can assure you it didn't. So the question then becomes is the margin they're looking for here justified? And consumers are the ones who determine that.

People see this and they (rightfully in my estimation) believe this is a joyless cash grab. And ultimately, we'll make the decision to not buy this. If it was 4K60 with rtx, maybe I'd pay 10 bucks to upgrade, but 4K30? That's a strong pass for me. As I mentioned earlier, I give it less than 12 months before Sony decides to put this on PS+ for free altogether, saving them from actually giving another game of greater value.

Honestly the best way to resolves this is to have every game come with a hidden setting where you can unlock frame rate as well as unlock resolution with warning it can affect game performance and cause crashes. This way all games will be future proof. Then they can charge for native ports with fast load, 3d audio, dualsense and etc, people can't then complain then as the originals have unlock frame rate options. That's one of the reasons I didn't mind ghost of Tsushima they charged as the PS4 version unlock frame rate

kyliethicc

Are you guessing or was this confirmed somewhere? Resolution for 60fps that is.

aR5GlZL.jpg

The game already runs at 1440p on PS4 Pro (@30 Hz.)

Digital Foundry already pixel counted the game. Its native 1440p @60 in the trailer.

Same as The Last of Us Part II, which was patched. Its native 1440p @60 on PS5.

10 mins 40 seconds in:

I don't fault you for being more salty about Sony than I am at the moment, but I wouldn't go as far as saying every decision was bad. I'm definitely jealous of those playing Forza while GT is delayed, but if they felt a delay was needed then its for the best. And I'm a life long console guy, so the PC stuff doesn't bother me in the least either. I just wish they wouldn't be so damn "corporate" all the damn time while pitching themselves as for the players.
I have a sinking suspicion that GT7 is going to disappoint big time.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
large.jpg

I don't get why these games can't do 4k/60?
It pushed 1440p/30 on the PS4 Pro. The PS5 isn’t going to push out that many extra pixels especially on old engines.

People need to keep their expectations in check for these kind of things.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

I thought the PS5 don't support 1440p so will the image just be up-scaled to 4k and is that different than Checkerboarding?

I'm genuinely curious.
The PS5 doesn't support an output resolution of 1440p.

Has nothing to do with what resolution the game is rendered at.

The game is rendered at 1440p and outputted as 2160p to your TV.

Checkerboard rendering is totally different and has nothing to do with any of this.

Midn1ght

The PS5 doesn't support an output resolution of 1440p.

Has nothing to do with what resolution the game is rendered at.

The game is rendered at 1440p and outputted as 2160p to your TV.

Checkerboard rendering is totally different and has nothing to do with any of this.

So if I get it right, CB is an internal rendering technique to upscale from say 1440p to 4K with better results.

But in this case the upscale to 2160 will basically be done by the tv while the game renders at 1440 which I guess create a slightly blurrier image than native or checkerboarded.

Am I understanding this right?

How demanding is checkerboard rendering and why not using it in this case?

Last edited:

kyliethicc

So if I get it right, CB is an internal rendering technique to upscale from say 1440p to 4K with better results.
No. Checkerboard rendering is when the game renders half the total pixels per frame.

Native 4K = 3840 x 2160 rendered every frame
Checkerboard 4K = 1920 x 2160 rendered every frame = 3840 x 2160 rendered every 2 frames

Its a less expensive way to render and gets a similar looking but not quite as good result.

They render a grid (or "checkerboard") of pixels, instead of all the pixels, per frame.

2KX9csm.jpg

And Naughty Dog opt to use native resolutions because it works better with their anti-aliasing. Among other reasons.

Last edited:
Not sure if I'll bother with the upgrade, but at least it's only $10

The Drunkmann era Uncharted games are a slog to play through, even though they were fun the first time.

Midn1ght

No. Checkerboard rendering is when the game renders half the total pixels per frame.

Native 4K = 3840 x 2160 rendered every frame
Checkerboard 4K = 1920 x 2160 rendered every frame = 3840 x 2160 rendered every 2 frames

Its a less expensive way to render and gets a similar looking but not quite as good result.

They render a grid (or "checkerboard") of pixels, instead of all the pixels, per frame.

2KX9csm.jpg

And Naughty Dog opt to use native resolutions because it works better with their anti-aliasing. Among other reasons.

Got it!
Thanks for the explanation!

isoRhythm

Banned
Any info on upgrade options yet? Certainly not rebuying this.

Edit: Answered.
I have the PS+ version of UC4, but I purchased the digital version of TLL. When I check the app it says I’ve purchased the digital bundle for both games, so I’m pretty sure if you only purchased one of them, you’re eligible for the $10 upgrade and get both games.
Yep same thing here. Also if you go to your profile and then games/trophies, you can find the collection there (y)

Kuranghi

Yeah color me impressed. Didnt think sony would give away a game for free like that. I lost my copy of Lost Legacy so getting it digitally for free is kinda cool.

Unmissable PlayStation®5 console features:
• DualSense™ wireless controller features: Feel the action unfold with the DualSense™ wireless controller's haptic feedback through punches, vaults, and vehicular traversal. Experience the tension in rope swings via dynamic adaptive triggers.
• Fast loading: Jump back into the adventure quickly with the PS5™ console’s ultra-high speed SSD and near-instant load times.
• 3D Audio: Hear the world of UNCHARTED™: Legacy of Thieves Collection come to life around you with 3D Audio.1
• Fidelity mode: Play in a super sharp native 4K resolution with a 30fps target frame rate.2
• Performance mode: Play with a smooth 60fps target frame rate.
o 4K TV players will experience a 4K resolution upscaled from a 1440p base resolution.
o 1080p HD TV players will experience a 1080p resolution super sampled from a 1440p base with improved anti-aliasing.
• Performance+ mode: Play with a high impact 120fps target frame rate3 and a 1080p resolution.

They are leaving a lot of performance on the table if they go with just 1440p 60 fps. I wonder if they even tried 1800p 60 fps. They should do what Kojima did. Native 4k unlocked framerate. 1800p 60 fps locked. Widescreen native 4k 60 fps.

I think closeups of characters (specifically the hair) and other heavy use of alpha effects in-game would be an issue at 1800p. Its a different engine but RE Engine just murders the GPU usage when the game does an extreme close-up of those awesome hair alpha effects (Like Carlos in RE3R) or even just mid-shots of two or more main character quality models.

I do think they could've had it drop frames for those scenes but stay locked for 99% of the game at somewhere between 1440p and 1872p, but probably thats starting to be too many modes and confusing for general consumers.

isoRhythm

Banned
Ok let's just summarize 5 pages of justified confusion

Own 1 of LL or UC4 -> $10 to get both "remastered"
Own LL & UC4 -> Get both "remastered" for free (Check your PS profile, should already show up in your profile under Games/Trophies)
Don't own LL or UC4 -> Buy either one and get the other and upgrade for $10 or buy the collection (? This one I'm not 100% on)

I own both UC4 & LL, I already see the collection on my profile.
XBLh2Tl.jpg

Last edited:
Am ready to play native next gen games on my PS5 now.

UC4... been there, done that, no need to go back. I can't believe people are whining about having to pay $10 over this.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
It wouldn't be such a big deal if Microsoft wasn't doing so many pro-consumer things right, especially these last 2 years or so. On it's own $10 upgrade is nothing really even for the most lowly income of people. It's just that it feels like it's being nickel and dimed hard by Sony. And that is pretty scummy. Especially considering what's actually on offer.

Last edited:

Kerotan

So I bought the uncharted 4 digital version with the season pass that ultimately included lost legacy digital day 1. I'm assuming I'm eligible for the $10 upgrade? If so hell yeah!

kyliethicc

Ok let's just summarize 5 pages of justified confusion

Own 1 of LL or UC4 -> $10 to get both "remastered"
Own LL & UC4 -> Get both "remastered" for free (Check your PS profile, should already show up in your profile under Games/Trophies)
Don't own LL or UC4 -> Buy either one and get the other and upgrade for $10 or buy the collection (? This one I'm not 100% on)

I own both UC4 & LL, I already see the collection on my profile.
XBLh2Tl.jpg

Nah you don't get it for free. Still a $10 upgrade.

I own both PS4 games and yes it shows up in my library now as if I own it, but that's because they made it so I own the new PS4 bundle. Which is now technically a version of the Uncharted Legacy of Thieves Collection. On the PS app I still have to buy the PS5 release.

Bit odd but basically people get the new $40 PS4 bundle for free if they already own both games. The PS5 version is still a $10 upgrade.

Pv9EfgS.jpg

Dane

How? They’re not stopping you from playing your PS4 disc or PS4 digital copy.
Both are BC and play just fine.
Because its 10 bucks for stuff that should be free upgrade, not to mention that Uncharted 4 has 60 FPS support when using debug, it is a deal for those who owns one of them, for those who own both, its a ripoff.

Also 50 bucks is absurd, its the price of the two games + paid upgrade separately for five year old games, it should be 30 bucks.

Last edited:
I’m disappointed they didn’t include the multiplayer, I was hoping that they would make crossplay with PC and that community would help keep the servers alive for a lot longer. Really dumb that they don’t include the original trilogy either. For $10 I might bite since it’s 2 games, but this is an overall shit release.

Top Bottom