• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection launches on January 28, 2022 on PS5

You’ve put up stats in line with a straight brute force bc like approach. Which makes sense with no effort from a port.

Proper PS5 effort would extend on such an approach with new GPU architecture, put in some reconstruction, drs, etc. A locked framerate while delivering resolution when there is opportunity, etc.

As it is, it’s just a cheap cash grab which could have been achieved via a free patch to the original. Again, if there are improved gfx over and above a frame or rez bump, I reserve the right to retract my opinion.
Legit question. Is this just par the course for Sony this gen? IIRC it is.

kyliethicc

But you're assuming that the game was already maxed out on the Pro, which was less than 2x the pps of the PS4 released, when the Pro had more than 2x the power of the PS4 and with IPC gains on top.

Starting from the PS4 it's clear that a 4x increase for a PS5 release is anaemic, even discounting IPC gains.
Eh would just depend on how their engine scales.

Like TLOU on PS3 to PS4 Pro.

Jumped from 720p30 to 1800p60. That's a 12.5x increase.

But PS4 Pro has ~ 18x the GPU FLOPs of PS3. It doesn't always scale 1 to 1.

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
I'm gonna buy the upgrade for £10 but that's only because I haven't got The Lost Legacy which is normally on sale for around that price anyway so it's a no brainer.

If I owned both games in no way would I pay £10 for a simple framerate unlock, at least with Ghost Of Tsushima's upgrade they upped the resolution to 4k 60fps from 1800p chequerboarded. As of yet I can't really find concrete info on what resolution the 60fps "remastered games" will run on. Not to mention they look identical to the PS4 versions.

Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Remastered Vs Original Graphics Comparison​

James Franco GIF

kyliethicc

I'm gonna buy the upgrade for £10 but that's only because I haven't got The Lost Legacy which is normally on sale for around that price anyway so it's a no brainer.

If I owned both games in no way would I pay £10 for a simple framerate unlock, at least with Ghost Of Tsushima's upgrade they upped the resolution to 4k 60fps from 1800p chequerboarded. As of yet I can't really find concrete info on what resolution the 60fps "remastered games" will run on. Not to mention they look identical to the PS4 versions.
1 - Ghost only went from checkerboard 1800p to checkerboard 2160p. Not native 4K.

2 - The Uncharted Collection has 3 modes

native 2160p @ 30 Hz
native 1440p @ 60 Hz
native 1080p @ 120 Hz

One business perspective I see is Sony not getting an extra $10 from many ps+ users
So they can deal with the outrage and complaints by gamers who stopped paying for PSN+ who only now realize they cant access the game they paid for?

Why would they want that?

Shmunter

So they can deal with the outrage and complaints by gamers who stopped paying for PSN+ who only now realize they cant access the game they paid for?

Why would they want that?
They’re happy for people to upgrade the lol $17 demo of Godfall to the full game for a lot more

I don't have TLL so seems a bargain for me if you do get both games for the upgrade cost.

It's a bit like when Spider-Man Remastered was packaged with Miles Morales at launch for a bit more. If you didn't already own Spider-Man PS4 is was an absolute steal.

Strange to 'punish' committed fans who have already bought all the games by charging them the same price but I know I'll upgrade if I get TLL thrown in.

DonJorginho

Banned
1 - Ghost only went from checkerboard 1800p to checkerboard 2160p. Not native 4K.

2 - The Uncharted Collection has 3 modes

native 2160p @ 30 Hz
native 1440p @ 60 Hz
native 1080p @ 120 Hz
I appreciate the info man, is it just a simple resolution boost then? As I cannot see any difference in terms of textures/lighting etc.

I mean, don't get me wrong, the games look damn good still, but I'm a little bummed if they didn't try and one up it somewhat if it is a truly native PS5 "remaster".

Last edited:
They’re happy for people to upgrade the lol $17 demo of Godfall to the full game for a lot more
.......was the demo not free and not tied to PSN+ subscription?

I have zero information on the above, but if it's a demo that is given with or without your subscription to PSN+....why does it apply?

Do you say the same for other demos in existence that asks you to buy the game if you enjoyed the demo? O.O

Shmunter

.......was the demo not free and not tied to PSN+ subscription?

I have zero information on the above, but if it's a demo that is given with or without your subscription to PSN+....why does it apply?

Do you say the same for other demos in existence that asks you to buy the game if you enjoyed the demo? O.O
Check this months ps+ offering

Aaron Olive

And you get lost Legacy for $10 if you only have Uncharted 4? Sounds good to me
This isn't a remaster at all, Lost legacy was already free when it came out...

No RT? Even the first Spiderman game had RT patched in!!!!
No Higher Textures
No Advanced lighting or shadows,AO , SSR | Metro Exodus
No 2160/60FPS
No 1440/120FPS | Vanguard actually beats this with more complexities.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Microsoft just wipes the fucking floor with Sony and its "fuck you gamers" attitude, i paid full price for both UC4 & Lost Legacy, both amazing games and this should be a fucking no brainer F.O.C. patch for existing owners, with Sony now throwing everything onto PC and back to being a cunt again, i can see the PS5 being my last Sony box, if the Pro comes out in a few years ill happily switch over to Xbox/Gamepass or simply switch to PC and get the best of all worlds, fucking wise up Sony you greedy cunts

sn0man

Edit 3: I think they could also go the Insomniac route by providing 4K40 mode for HRR display owners.
Yeah. This would have been a really amazing option. Personally hope that Sony target 4K 40fps for their single player story driven games going forward.

I’d love to play TLOU3 in 4K 40fps on a PS5 if that is ever a game.

Eh would just depend on how their engine scales.

Like TLOU on PS3 to PS4 Pro.

Jumped from 720p30 to 1800p60. That's a 12.5x increase.

But PS4 Pro has ~ 18x the GPU FLOPs of PS3. It doesn't always scale 1 to 1.
The problem is that TLoU did not hold its 30fps, in many situations there would be long periods where it ran in the mid 20s maybe even drop 20 momentarily.

Not to say that it should scale 1:1, the PS3's GPU had help from the Cell CPU for some effects I believe, memory, etc.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Yeah. This would have been a really amazing option. Personally hope that Sony target 4K 40fps for their single player story driven games going forward.

I’d love to play TLOU3 in 4K 40fps on a PS5 if that is ever a game.
Yeah I'm playing R+C in this mode and tbh I can't tell the difference between this and 60 but I can notice the drop in quality

CitizenZ

Banned
Lmao I am so fucking confused by how many people bitch and moan that the PSN+ free game for TLL is NOT applicable for an upgrade for the game.

Like, are you guys just children for not understanding the rational behind it from a business perspective?

Every other complaint I can understand, but not getting the option to pay for an upgrade that they gave as a treat for the services you paid for is really dumb.

You got what you paid for, a couple of free games a month that is directly tied to your PSN being active. Which essentially means you don't own it, but rent it as long as you continue paying for your sub.

Why tf would they allow you to spend money on a game you rented, tied to your PSN sub, on an upgrade that requires you to own the game through purchasing it?

You Just Dont Get It Pete Davidson GIF by Saturday Night Live

Any theories on how this guy gets 5* pussy and is considered a comedian? Its def. in my top 10 of unsolved mysteries

Kokoloko85

No Higher Textures
No 2160/60FPS
I never knew Lost Legacy was free. It always gave me a price

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

No Higher Textures
No 2160/60FPS
PS Studios have lagged far behind when it comes to taking advantage of the PS5. Most of them didnt do anything until middle of this year when GOW, TLOU2, and Horizon finally got a patch months after launch. And even then it was just a patch, didnt bother taking full advantage of the PS5 SDK.

Even the $10 upgrades like Death Stranding and Ghost of Tshushima were pretty much standard 4k 60 fps upgrades. No RT, no higher textures, no 120 fps modes. Crazy considering how many third party devs went back and added RT to year if not two year old games.

At least Kojima did do more than everyone else. He didnt settle for a 1440p 60 fps mode or a 4kcb 60 fps mode. He went for 1800p 60 fps. He even had a native 4k 60 fps mode that only dipped during boss battles. And then he added a genius widescreen mode that maintained a locked 60 FPS and a pristine native image while offering enhanced FOV.

ND and Sucker Punch pretty much phoned in these ports when it comes to visual upgrades. I refused to believe the PS5 is only 2x more powerful than the PS4 Pro. 1800p 60 fps shouldve been default. I dont care if they have to go back and do more optimizations but 1440p 60 fps is embarrassing for a title that was 1440p 30 fps on the Pro.

How many more times are they going to get us to pay for the same games with the absolute bare minimum done to be classed as a remaster
i enjoyed the uncharted series but this is really stretching it...i hope the LOU remaster/remake is not the same level of lazy

Shmunter

PS Studios have lagged far behind when it comes to taking advantage of the PS5. Most of them didnt do anything until middle of this year when GOW, TLOU2, and Horizon finally got a patch months after launch. And even then it was just a patch, didnt bother taking full advantage of the PS5 SDK.

Even the $10 upgrades like Death Stranding and Ghost of Tshushima were pretty much standard 4k 60 fps upgrades. No RT, no higher textures, no 120 fps modes. Crazy considering how many third party devs went back and added RT to year if not two year old games.

At least Kojima did do more than everyone else. He didnt settle for a 1440p 60 fps mode or a 4kcb 60 fps mode. He went for 1800p 60 fps. He even had a native 4k 60 fps mode that only dipped during boss battles. And then he added a genius widescreen mode that maintained a locked 60 FPS and a pristine native image while offering enhanced FOV.

ND and Sucker Punch pretty much phoned in these ports when it comes to visual upgrades. I refused to believe the PS5 is only 2x more powerful than the PS4 Pro. 1800p 60 fps shouldve been default. I dont care if they have to go back and do more optimizations but 1440p 60 fps is embarrassing for a title that was 1440p 30 fps on the Pro.
It's beyond baffling. When new PS5 owners are crying out for content, they would have fallen over themselves for PS5 enhancements.

First party taking advantage of hardware used to be a priority instead Sony is the last to push the needle. The new games like Forbidden West, GOW2 and GT7 will be no different. It's a shambles.

SlimySnake

How many more times are they going to get us to pay for the same games with the absolute bare minimum done to be classed as a remaster
i enjoyed the uncharted series but this is really stretching it...i hope the LOU remaster/remake is not the same level of lazy
Jason's VSG studio article referred to the TLOU remake as a PS5 game on a PS5 engine. Let's hope Jason didnt get that wrong, and the remake is a built from the ground up next gen TLOU and Part 2 also gets a similar treatment. Higher quality assets. E3 2018 quality haracter models, GI lighting, and motion matching. All three got downgraded in the final build so hopefully they are able to put them back for the PS5 SKU.

Factions being delayed gives me hope that its a next gen only title on a next gen engine. Surely they wont be revealing a cross gen game this late in the generation.

Should be free 100% (only for the game you own). It’s FPS boost.
Are they not giving a free high frame rate patch for the PS4 version? The blog post seemed to allude to one. That or it was a gaffe that revealed they were sitting on a 60fps patch this whole time like a bunch of stingy bitches.

ironmang

Remaster Golden Abyss already!

It's a shame they pretend this game doesn't exist. They make no mention of it anywhere as far as I can tell.

Even the PSP GoW games got remastered for PS3 and Uncharted is arguably their flagship series.

Md Ray

No 2160/60FPS
PS5 is a generational leap over PS4 Pro, but it's not 4.0-4.5x kind of a leap over Pro in the GPU department. People need to keep their expectations in check, it's a $399 box replacing a $399 box at the end of the day.

And comparing ND games with Vanguard is silly because COD games are 60fps by design even on last-gen base consoles, UC4 and TLL are not.

SlimySnake

PS5 is a generational leap over PS4 Pro, but it's not 4.0-4.5x kind of a leap over Pro in the GPU department. People need to keep their expectations in check, it's a $399 box replacing a $399 box at the end of the day.

And comparing ND games with Vanguard is silly because COD games are 60fps by design even on last-gen base consoles, UC4 and TLL are not.
Are you going to buy the PC version and do some comparisons for us? ;p What card did you have again?

I would be curious to see the 5700xt and 2080 run this game at 60 fps. I dont know how well ND engines scale (CoD has been 120 fps for almost a decade) so 120 fps at 1440p might be tough on those GPUs, but I highly doubt the 5700xt or my 2080 would top out at 1440p 60 fps. They are definitely leaving a lot of performance on the table.

I would buy the PC version but that would be like pissing on Bryank2k's grave. Cant do that to him.

P.S Even if the PS5 is somehow bandwidth limited and 1440p 60 fps has a higher cost than native 4k 30 fps, the PS5 should be able to do far better than native 4k 30 fps. It's a 1080p game on a GCN 1.0 1.84 tflops GPU. It should only need 7.2 tflops for native 4k 30 fps before we even take any IPC gains into account. Even if we go by Cerny's 'you need 8 tflops for native 4k claim', you still have 2 more tflops you can use to at least do a 40 fps mode for 120 fps tv users.

And again, this is before any RNDA IPC gains or Cerny's secret sauce I/O gains.

Last edited:

Md Ray

Are you going to buy the PC version and do some comparisons for us? ;p What card did you have again?

I would be curious to see the 5700xt and 2080 run this game at 60 fps. I dont know how well ND engines scale (CoD has been 120 fps for almost a decade) so 120 fps at 1440p might be tough on those GPUs, but I highly doubt the 5700xt or my 2080 would top out at 1440p 60 fps. They are definitely leaving a lot of performance on the table.

I would buy the PC version but that would be like pissing on Bryank2k's grave. Cant do that to him.
Haha, I'm double-dipping for sure and will share the results on here, In sha Allah! As a longtime fanboy of Naughty Dog's tech prowess, I can't tell you how excited I am to check out ND engine games purely from a technical perspective, how they leverage a range of hardware and the API outside of PlayStation. I have an RTX 3070.

Shifty1897

I'm surprised people expected 4k 60 on a 1080p60 PS4 game that looks this good.

No one complained when FF7R only did 1512p in performance mode.

RPS37

I’m confused.
I was/am super excited to play Horizon, God of War, Spiderman, and Death Stranding with PS5 upgrades but I don’t think I give a flying fuck to replay the Uncharted games again.
Anyone else?

Top Bottom