• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted Series Not Over Yet, According to Naughty Dog

Kokoloko85

Because linear cinematic is a limiting genre. A dev of ND's talent would be kind of wasted by continuing to make games like these.

If there's no big leap in enemy AI or realistic combat mechanics, then I'd rather not see an action adventure game in this formula again. Sure, there was a little more eye candy and bigger levels in their last sequels but I'm expecting much more than that from them.

I hope they take It up another level. There my favourite developers along with Kojima, From, SantaMonica

Last edited:
No chance of #2 happening, she has her own studio now and two big games in production.

We’ll see how her marvel and Star Wars games turn out
It easily could happen if they take a long enough break between Uncharted entries, unless she has way more in the pipeline after those two projects.

Last edited:

The Alien

Banned
I dunno. While all were very competently made....I dislike 3 a lot. Thought 4 was good but dragged on forever. Ready for Uncharted to go to bed for a decade and get a reboot. I'd be vastly more excited for ND to do a new IP.

(Requisite Uncharted Ranking: 2,1,4,3)

winjer

Gold Member
I enjoyed the first ones on the PS3 a lot. Especially the second.
Still waiting for the fourth to be released on PC, since it's very well regarded by most gamers who played it.
So if there is going to be more, that's good for me.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Uncharted is a product of its time, not that I mean that in a bad way, I love that time period but without that in it's DNA it's not Uncharted and that's not/who ND is anymore
So I have little faith, not that it can't be done.
It can, but I doubt the personality and love is in the team at ND in 2022.

Last edited:

Valentino

People act like they are bad games in this thread lol. We’ve had 15+ Final Fantasies, 9 mainline Resident Evil games, how many cod games that are the same?

Whether you don’t like the “pacing“ ( still the lamest excuse to be a hater I mean not like a game ) They are still better than 90% of games out there.

If you dont like the Uncharted series simply dont buy it or play it. Im all for more Uncharted games, just don’t use the main Naughty Dog team., they need to make new IP and finish TLOU3
Very much this. I just saw someone in here say they only enjoyed Lost Legacy and want something new from ND 😐
I’d say “fuck off” to that.
Liking one game in a franchise but sighting you want something new from ND is such weird behaviour. I think people be fawning after ND wanting them to make a game for them and their fantasy, yet they don’t enjoy the majority of ND’s work. ND can do another IP - but if there’s another Uncharted game then I’d love that too. I’m not just invested in Drake, I’m invested in the genre and story/characters that ND create for the Uncharted universe. Why can’t I have more of that just because some people in here got bored of it? The franchise can carry on and introduce new ideas. Fuck a reboot. Lost legacy got it right.

MonarchJT

Banned
i didn't have a single doubt about it. the same is for the last of us. Sony will never let naughty dog trash it, those IP are the company (playstation) most valuable property

Last edited:
I bought a ps3 and played the trilogy back to back maybe 2-3 times in 2011. Then got an expensive vita to play Golden Abyss. Post office stole the game I ordered, so bought Golden Abyss twice. I absolutely loved Uncharted. Read the novel as well as the comic book. Played U4 and LL only once so far. U4 looks awesome but something is off with its soul. They even changed the awesome composer. There was absolutely no need to bring so much more gravity to this pulp action advanture. It turned from adventure with a pinch of feels into feels mixed with adventure.
Druckman happened. They fired Amy and he took over (at least that is how things were rumored at the time. Don't know for real what happened, its all speculation).

You are absolutely right about the soul of UC4. Beautiful game but it wasn't the same. I too loved and played uncharted 1-3 plus golden abyss multiple times. UC1 was my one of my first ps3 games in 2008. It was and still is amazing. The new one feels different.

As for characters, it better be Nathan Drake or if not it better be Chloe. At least she is interesting and has personality (plus shes looks good in photo mode). Or better yet, go back in time and do Nate and Chloe meeting. There is so many stories to tell about Drake's life before uncharted 1. They won't do that though. Druckman hates masculinity. Drake is that. He also doesn't like feminity, Chloe is that. We will get a story all about Nadine Ross and her new sidekick Abbie, a golf club wielding psychopath.

Zeroing

Banned
Druckman happened. They fired Amy and he took over (at least that is how things were rumored at the time. Don't know for real what happened, its all speculation).

You are absolutely right about the soul of UC4. Beautiful game but it wasn't the same. I too loved and played uncharted 1-3 plus golden abyss multiple times. UC1 was my one of my first ps3 games in 2008. It was and still is amazing. The new one feels different.

As for characters, it better be Nathan Drake or if not it better be Chloe. At least she is interesting and has personality (plus shes looks good in photo mode). Or better yet, go back in time and do Nate and Chloe meeting. There is so many stories to tell about Drake's life before uncharted 1. They won't do that though. Druckman hates masculinity. Drake is that. He also doesn't like feminity, Chloe is that. We will get a story all about Nadine Ross and her new sidekick Abbie, a golf club wielding psychopath.
I think everyone is over thinking, the UC4 had to be scrapped and redone after Amy left and so was the actor. So of course the story seems weird! It had to put together very fast.

The second team - who made the lost legacy, had proved they are more than capable to do more uncharted games while slightly changing the formula.

From the interviews they made it more than obvious that everyone gives input on the games… if Druckman had free reigns the Last of us part 1 would have only women being infected, Ellie would have a dog etc…

I think everyone is over thinking, the UC4 had to be scrapped and redone after Amy left and so was the actor. So of course the story seems weird! It had to put together very fast.

The second team - who made the lost legacy, had proved they are more than capable to do more uncharted games while slightly changing the formula.

From the interviews they made it more than obvious that everyone gives input on the games… if Druckman had free reigns the Last of us part 1 would have only women being infected, Ellie would have a dog etc…

Yeah, Shaun Escayg’s Uncharted was honestly better than UC4. He recently came back to naughty dog last year as a creative director so he could very well be gearing up to take over the reigns of the franchise.

There are 4 other directors at Naughty Dog who aren’t confirmed to be working on anything at the moment. TLOU2 combat director is the one in charge of the multiplayer

Last edited:

kyliethicc

There are 4 other directors at Naughty Dog who aren’t confirmed to be working on anything at the moment. TLOU2 combat director is the one in charge of the multiplayer
Not really.

Theve have 2 creative directors and 4 game directors. Half of which we know are working on TLOU multiplayer.

Druckmann, CD - TLOU online (+ TLOU remake)
Newman, GD - TLOU online
Argawal, GD - TLOU online

Escayg, CD - ?
Margenau, GD - ?
Gallant, GD - ?

Last edited:

Dr Bass

As much as I like both, I agree. It's time to move on to something new with those same high Naughty Dog production values.
Exactly. We’ve seen what ND can do with those worlds. They are obviously one of the top studios in the world in terms of technical talent. I want to see what they do with something we’ve never seen before.

Not really.

Theve have 2 creative directors and 4 game directors. Half of which we know are working on TLOU multiplayer.

Druckmann, CD - TLOU online (+ TLOU remake)
Newman, GD - TLOU online
Argawal, GD - TLOU online

Escayg, CD - ?
Margenau, GD - ?
Gallant, GD - ?
I don’t think Druckmann is on the multiplayer title

kyliethicc

I don’t think Druckmann is on the multiplayer title
Of course he is.

1 - It began under his direction within TLOU2. He was always directing it.
2 - Its part of the TLOU IP - his baby. He’s gonna be involved with anything TLOU. Games, shows, comics, etc.
3 - Newman said he began playing Fortnite while working on this game. Druckmann has also been playing it. Research.
4 - They always have a creative director on every game. It’s either Druckmann or Escayg.

Elios83

Great series that I personally prefer to TLOU because it's more fun and lighthearted and similarly to AC it allows to change setting and create new stories easily.
Even the movie was a big hit for Sony so it doesn't make sense not to make new games.
Looking forward to see how they're going to innovate the series gameplay wise.

Of course he is.

1 - It began under his direction within TLOU2. He was always directing it.
2 - Its part of the TLOU IP - his baby. He’s gonna be involved with anything TLOU. Games, shows, comics, etc.
3 - Newman said he began playing Fortnite while working on this game. Druckmann has also been playing it. Research.
4 - They always have a creative director on every game. It’s either Druckmann or Escayg.

1- so did uncharted 4, he wasn’t involved in LL
2 - We don’t really know if it is part of TLOU IP at this point we just know it started as factions add-on on TLOU2
3 - again, not really a confirmation of anything, he’s literally playing a game
4 - yeah, and Escayg came back last year so it could very be him, or anyone

No real tangible evidence Druckmann is involved in the multiplayer project. I believe he’s working on the next mainline game, whatever it is

Brigandier

To be fair by the time another UC game is released it'll be at least a near 10 year break since Uncharted 4.

I agree the series needs a rest but it doesn't need to start missing generations, ND are big enough to make Uncharted 5 and other IPs

kyliethicc

1- so did uncharted 4, he wasn’t involved in LL
Not even close to the same.

LL wasn’t in active development before UC4 shipped.

2 - We don’t really know if it is part of TLOU IP at this point we just know it started as factions add-on on TLOU2
lol

3 - again, not really a confirmation of anything, he’s literally playing a game
never said it was confirmed

4 - yeah, and Escayg came back last year so it could very be him, or anyone
Yeah anyone could be the creative director. Anyone who is a CD at ND lol

No real tangible evidence Druckmann is involved in the multiplayer project. I believe he’s working on the next mainline game, whatever it is
He is co-running the studio, and co-producing the TLOU HBO show.

He’s probably barely got enough time to help direct the TLOU MP and TLOU remake.

He‘s a self-admitted control freak and it’s his baby. He’ll always be involved in any/everything TLOU.

To be fair by the time another UC game is released it'll be at least a near 10 year break since Uncharted 4.

I agree the series needs a rest but it doesn't need to start missing generations, ND are big enough to make Uncharted 5 and other IPs

They also need to make another Last of Us game eventually, which think has priority over Uncharted at the moment.

Batiman

Banned
Good. UC4 got a little too serious. They should of kept him like master chief or Indiana Jones and just kept going with individual adventures. To me, the games are just alright. But the setting just sucks me in..

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Why are people pissed ? No no please nomore awsome games please, wtf is wrong with some of you ? 4 awsome games please no don't make a 5th awsome game with epic set pieces .
Anyways , that's good news ! I always want more Uncharted !

Uncharted 4 was an overly long, drawn out snooze fest with a few decent set pieces at best. It utterly failed to understand the core of what Uncharted was and I don't trust modern Naughty Dog with making a good game. Not to mention the person in charge of this is a mental case who thinks they are related to Sir Francis Drake.

Last edited:
Uncharted 4 was an overly long, drawn out snooze fest with a few decent set pieces at best. It utterly failed to understand the core of what Uncharted was and I don't trust modern Naughty Dog with making a good game. Not to mention the person in charge of this is a mental case who thinks they are related to Sir Francis Drake.

They’ve already made a good uncharted game since

assurdum

Banned
People should stop to blame the franchise to be always the same. It's a ND fault not a brand limit. How many Mario games have been released during the years? And Miyamoto always find a way to get it better and better. It's not that Uncharted game can't be improved, it's ND game designers who are totally incapable to be more creatives.

Last edited:

yurinka

ND pipeline, imo:

2023- TLOU Remake and Factions
2025- New IP
2027- Uncharted 5
2029- TLOU III

Can you imagine how gorgeous and well-animated the latter three will be? 😐😐😐
IMO they would have 3 main teams and a small one:
-Uncharted 5
-TLOU 2 main team > New IP
-TLOU Factions > TLOU3
-TLOU Remake+TLOU2 PS5 > TLOU Remake+TLOU2 PC > Factions PC > Uncharted NDCR (outsourcing overview + support)

Summer 2022 - Uncharted Legacy of Thieves PC
Late 2022 - TLOU 1+2 Director's Cut PS5
Early 2023 - TLOU2 Factions PS4+PS5
Summer 2023 - TLOU 1+2 Director's Cut PC (outsourced to Nixxes or Iron Galaxy)
Late 2023 - TLOU2 Factions PC (outsourced to Nixxes or Iron Galaxy)
Mid 2024 - Uncharted Nathan Drake's Collection Remastered PS5 & PC (outsourced to Nixxes or Iron Galaxy)
Late 2024 - Uncharted 5 PS5 (they would have reworked the spinoff they started with Bend)
2025 - New IP PS5 (some TLOU2 staff would have moved here since 2020 + new people)
2026 - TLOU 3 PS5 (Factions staff + new people)

He is co-running the studio, and co-producing the TLOU HBO show.

He’s probably barely got enough time to help direct the TLOU MP and TLOU remake.

He‘s a self-admitted control freak and it’s his baby. He’ll always be involved in any/everything TLOU.
Having directors and creative directors working in the games, being copresident of the studio he may be overviewing all the projects, providing feedback and suggestions getting a 1h or 2h long weekly meeting per project. Every week he may have a day for these meetings and then he has the rest of the week to do stuff for other things (tv show, drafting future projects like next IPs or TLOU3, or to do studio management stuff)

Last edited:

kyliethicc

IMO they would have 3 main teams and a small one:
-Uncharted 5
-TLOU 2 main team > New IP
-TLOU Factions > TLOU3
-TLOU Remake+TLOU2 PS5 > TLOU Remake+TLOU2 PC > Factions PC > Uncharted NDCR (outsourcing overview + support)

Summer 2022 - Uncharted Legacy of Thieves PC
Late 2022 - TLOU 1+2 Director's Cut PS5
Early 2023 - TLOU2 Factions PS4+PS5
Summer 2023 - TLOU 1+2 Director's Cut PC (outsourced to Nixxes or Iron Galaxy)
Late 2023 - TLOU2 Factions PC (outsourced to Nixxes or Iron Galaxy)
Mid 2024 - Uncharted Nathan Drake's Collection Remastered PS5 & PC (outsourced to Nixxes or Iron Galaxy)
Late 2024 - Uncharted 5 PS5 (they would have reworked the spinoff they started with Bend)
2025 - New IP PS5 (some TLOU2 staff would have moved here since 2020 + new people)
2026 - TLOU 3 PS5 (Factions staff + new people)
bruh

dave chappelle tyrone biggums GIF

yurinka

They have 658 people listed on LinkedIn plus a shit ton job offers that may join in the following weeks/months. And well, pretty likely they will continue the following years.

As of now they have enough people to have 2 big teams at full production, the small team for smaller stuff and the third big team still growing. And well, in the same way they codeveloped the remake with the Sony VASG team and the Uncharted spinoff with Bend they could be codeveloping some of these big projects (Uncharted 5 to replace Bend?) with someone else like Bluepoint. Uncharted 5, the new IP and TLOU 3 would have around 5 years of development.

Last edited:
Where can they take it? There's nothing more to tell on drakes side so it'll have to be a completely new character. Most likely his daughter, cassie. Nathan drake can still be in the game this way. So can elena. It's just wouldn't be uncharted without them in it at all.

kyliethicc

Where can they take it? There's nothing more to tell on drakes side so it'll have to be a completely new character. Most likely his daughter, cassie. Nathan drake can still be in the game this way. So can elena. It's just wouldn't be uncharted without them in it at all.
Simpler move is turn Nate into Lara Croft, where there’s multiple versions or series.

Just wait til like 2028 and reboot Uncharted with a new Nathan Drake, timeline, etc for PS6.

Simpler move is turn Nate into Lara Croft, where there’s multiple versions or series.

Just wait til like 2028 and reboot Uncharted with a new Nathan Drake, timeline, etc for PS6.

I don't know if I would like that. I want continuity, but that would be the only way to keep having drake as the main character. Or they could do an MGS4 and we get old drake coming out of retirement for another adventure.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

I don't know if I would like that. I want continuity, but that would be the only way to keep having drake as the main character. Or they could do an MGS4 and we get old drake coming out of retirement for another adventure.
I doubt Nolan North wants to do any more games, but who knows.

Not sure if they’d reboot Uncharted with a new main character. The main characters are the IP, basically.

There’s so many different Peter Parkers, Lara Crofts, etc. Nate could easily be the same.

FrankWza

we live in a time of spin-offs and tie ins. Nothing wrong with that as long as the quality stays high. Plus the movie proves there is demand for content in that universe

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Even as someone who didn't care much for ND output so far, here's an easy answer: the problem would be that they'd be working on this rather than something new and more interesting.
Who says they aren't working on a new IP too though? ND is a huge studio of almost 700 developers now and they can outsource like they did with TLOU Part II

Hobbygaming

I've always liked Uncharted way better than The Last of Us, and even I think they should take a small break before making a new one. However, if they do come back, it should be under two conditions:

1) They do a God of War style reboot and save the next entry for PS6. New cast, and maybe have old Drake or Chloe being the new Sully in the situation. Which leads me to point 2.

2) Amy Hennig should be the lead again. I think Druckmann wouldn't evolve the series in the correct way since he seems to care more about TLoU. Amy just loves Uncharted more than him and has mentioned in the past, on Nolan North/Troy Baker's Youtube show, that she would want to do things way differently if she had another chance at Uncharted. It feels like a Cory Barlog situation where Sony should take a chance on her idea and end up with something great.
I liked Neil Druckmann's Uncharted more than any of the previous entries, though I haven't played Uncharted 3

Sentenza

Who says they aren't working on a new IP too though?
I have no idea who said it.
My point in the end is that I don't really care for Uncharted (nor TLOU) and literally anything else they could announce has a better chance to pique my interest rather than "Yep, we are doing more of this".

I liked Neil Druckmann's Uncharted more than any of the previous entries, though I haven't played Uncharted 3
I feel like he tried to take it to a more serious place than usual with 4 and LL, and in 3 he started adding things that took away from the gameplay, like more forced walking segments, more 'gameplay during cutscenes' moments which include some that don't tell you they're gameplay so you could fail them, and more hand to hand fighting segments with big guys which were annoying and took you out of shooting segments. I feel like that fits TLoU better than Uncharted. You can tell with how refined the melee and cutscenes are in TLoU when you compare them.

I still feel to this day that Uncharted 2 had the right balance in all ways, even in terms of seriousness and fun when it came to the story. One of it's biggest flaws for me was simply that it's too long of a game. Amy Hennig spoke about how she really cared about gameplay first and foremost(she was in charge of the Jak games too) and I feel Uncharted needs someone who thinks of that first to begin with. Really good narrative is more of TLoU's main focus. While the gameplay for that series feels solid enough, I always felt like U2 controlled better and was more fun to move around in. Plus I'd really like to see her new ideas if she were to ever come back.

Hobbygaming

I feel like he tried to take it to a more serious place than usual with 4 and LL, and in 3 he started adding things that took away from the gameplay
Amy Hennig directed Uncharted 3 and there was a rumor that she was the one wanting less fighting/gunplay in Uncharted, maybe she was just getting tired of the formula

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

I have no idea who said it.
My point in the end is that I don't really care for Uncharted (nor TLOU) and literally anything else they could announce has a better chance to pique my interest rather than "Yep, we are doing more of this".
I'd be down for Uncharted 5, TLOU Part III or a new IP. Naughty Dog is my favorite studio, they're amazing

I feel like he tried to take it to a more serious place than usual with 4 and LL, and in 3 he started adding things that took away from the gameplay, like more forced walking segments, more 'gameplay during cutscenes' moments which include some that don't tell you they're gameplay so you could fail them, and more hand to hand fighting segments with big guys which were annoying and took you out of shooting segments. I feel like that fits TLoU better than Uncharted. You can tell with how refined the melee and cutscenes are in TLoU when you compare them.

I still feel to this day that Uncharted 2 had the right balance in all ways, even in terms of seriousness and fun when it came to the story. One of it's biggest flaws for me was simply that it's too long of a game. Amy Hennig spoke about how she really cared about gameplay first and foremost(she was in charge of the Jak games too) and I feel Uncharted needs someone who thinks of that first to begin with. Really good narrative is more of TLoU's main focus. While the gameplay for that series feels solid enough, I always felt like U2 controlled better and was more fun to move around in. Plus I'd really like to see her new ideas if she were to ever come back.

Amy Hennig directed Uncharted 3 and there was a rumor that she was the one wanting less fighting/gunplay in Uncharted, maybe she was just getting tired of the formula
Yeah, the rumor is Amy Hennig wanted to make Uncharted 4 a lot more dark than it was. Like I think either Nate or Sam was supposed to die in it

Astral Dog

Because linear cinematic is a limiting genre. A dev of ND's talent would be kind of wasted by continuing to make games like these.

If there's no big leap in enemy AI or realistic combat mechanics, then I'd rather not see an action adventure game in this formula again. Sure, there was a little more eye candy and bigger levels in their last sequels but I'm expecting much more than that from them.
Yeah but why do all that work if your audience is content and will eat up millions of Uncharted games anyways? exactly

Naughty Dog have never excelled in gameplay driven design, instead they will continue to work on what they are actually good at and what their audience expects from them, nothing more, nothing less.

They aren't a studio that churns out a Breath of the Wild, Resident Evil or Elden Ring and they will never be, you are barking at the wrong tree

Last edited:
Top Bottom