• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unemployment Sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drey1082

I graduated in may with a good GPA from a Big Ten school with an IT (MIS) Major. I've been doing part time work down in chicago, and can't find anything in entry level IT. Too many IT people with experience are out of jobs and taking jobs with lesser pay that people like me are trying for. I want to go back to school. This sucks.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
i have friends who graduated a year ago with computer engineering and electrical engineering degrees from a very good school and are still jobless.. or at least arent working as engineers..

it really sucks right now.

Leon

This is a reason why you should decide to become a rock star, like me. You'll never be unemployed. Only indie/underground.

Drey1082

While I do play some guitar, that does not seem to be a viable option, being as I have little talent, and no band.

Vgamer

Im in the same boat. Graduated with MIS degree last year and still no job in my field. I have had jobs since then but cant seem to get an entry level job in the field. Oh well guess I got the wrong degree :(

xsarien

daedsiluap
IT is shit because, yeah, the market is saturated with people who are qualified, and a lack of open positions. Do yourself a favor and fill out a Monster resume thoroughly. You may as well have some companies looking for you while you look for them, too.

And don't be ashamed to take an internship if you're lacking some resume fodder, if you impress the right people while you're there, you could manage a full-time gig out of it.

Drey1082

Vgamer said:
Im in the same boat. Graduated with MIS degree last year and still no job in my field. I have had jobs since then but cant seem to get an entry level job in the field. Oh well guess I got the wrong degree :(

I feel pretty much exactly the same way. I wish I had been an accountant, or finance major like most of my friends. Although their jobs are god awful/ borring, you're going to find something with those majors.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Welcome to the club, friend. I think there's some room in that corner, please take a seat. Try not to sit on adelgary, he's asleep.

Slo

It's all about the internships. I got an internship my Sophmore year and they kept me until I graduated, and then hired me on full time. I just went to a local State college, but practical work experience looks great on a resume.

I'm gonna graduate in december in computer engineering and I don't know what I'll be doing. I have some experience in the field, worked a total of 16 months in 3 different places, but I doubt it's enough.

Guuuuuuuuuuuuh. D:

Drey1082

Slo said:
It's all about the internships. I got an internship my Sophmore year and they kept me until I graduated, and then hired me on full time. I just went to a local State college, but practical work experience looks great on a resume.

Well i had a sweet internship too. I was at Aon corporation doing system documentation and webhelp creation for 2 years. Well they downsized. I was making way more than any of my friends. My luck just ran out.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
I graduated in May with a CS degree and didn't find a job until last week. Really, unless you know someone, it's pretty much impossible right now.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Yeah, it's all in who you know... get your parents, aunts and uncles, neighbors, etc to spread the word out about you... that's how I got all my interviews (and later landed my job) post graduation. It's really the best way to go about things.

tenchir

It's almost a year since I graduated with an engineering degree and I stll can't find any entry level job. As a matter of fact, I hardly see any entry level engineering job posted on job search site. The last 3 interviews I been to are jobs with required 3-5 years experience in related field.

=W=

Yeah. Graduated in December with a CS degree. Still jobless. Probably just gonna go back to school. Get my master's and try to find a good internship.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I graduated one year ago from UC Berkeley with a degree in architecture and a minor in city planning.

I am part timing at the mall and freelance graphic designing to make ends meet. the job market sucks for skilled positions unless you have extensive experience.

EDIT: I graduated in the summer term, and took several summer school courses during my stay, I should have taken summers off and extended my stay, and taken more fun stuff. It would have been worth it.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
6.8 said:
I'm gonna graduate in december in computer engineering and I don't know what I'll be doing. I have some experience in the field, worked a total of 16 months in 3 different places, but I doubt it's enough.

Guuuuuuuuuuuuh. D:

Minotauro said:
I graduated in May with a CS degree and didn't find a job until last week. Really, unless you know someone, it's pretty much impossible right now.

tenchir said:
It's almost a year since I graduated with an engineering degree and I stll can't find any entry level job. As a matter of fact, I hardly see any entry level engineering job posted on job search site. The last 3 interviews I been to are jobs with required 3-5 years experience in related field.

yup.. its been a year since i graduated as well.. with a BS in Computer Engineering AND one in Biomedical Engineering.. I have yet to work in my fields..

i did have a promising interview today for an electrical engineering position. guess how i got that interview? a friend of a friend works there.

contacts and who you know.. its the only goddam way. :(

Celicar

Banned
So many people not able to find work. This kind of worries me since I will be graduating in December. At least I'm not a CS major. ;)

by month three your beards should be coming in nicely, and if you find yourself laughing and crying at the same time, dont worry it's quite normal. you guys got any other questions i'll be glad to answer them.

Ceros

Atleast you guys have an established path for your careers...meaning you know what you want to do. Man I'm going into college and I have no idea wth I want to do for a career. And on top of that, I've been trying for like 3 months to get this job @ Gamestop. They're hiring the first week of september so I have a good chance of getting it then because I have a good relationship with the manager there. Just went to a UPS job fair yesterday and if I don't get a call back in to tour the place then I'm going to quit looking for a job lol.
I don't know what sucks more...not having a job...or desperately trying to get a job being more than qualified...only to see 1 of your lackadaisical friends get a good job while you sit around with all the ambition in the world and you're jobless. I want some money damn it.

Kingpen

Had an internship throughout College at a National Laboratory. Graduated May 2003 with BBA in MIS.... Started going to grad school for MBA in MIS as well. Got hired on full time 6 months ago and now I make very nice money for someone who just turned 23... Plus job security with the gubment rocks the house.

My advice is to seek out internships while in school. Then bust your hump and impress people with your work ethic, and things could then happen. I'm not the smartest guy around, but I have a great work ethic and am reliable and people have noticed.

djtiesto said:
Yeah, it's all in who you know... get your parents, aunts and uncles, neighbors, etc to spread the word out about you... that's how I got all my interviews (and later landed my job) post graduation. It's really the best way to go about things.

and in my case my uncle being the VP of a major local company wont hurt my job search

:D

yeah unemployment sucks...whats worse is when you work with one of those guys whos been there for years, not moving up in the company, hasn't gotten a raise in years, does more ebaying then work or when a person kisses the bosses' collective asses grants them immunity then you ask for your raise and get fired cause the company wants to save money. What makes it worse is being an advertising company with 10 or so regular clients 1 client covers all expenses of running the company and they want to save money.

Yeah I recently got fired in that situation, which is aight I wasn't too happy at my job it just sucks sooo much going to interviews and sending out resumes.

the salt on the wound...."there's nothing wrong with your work....it's actually very good"

aoi tsuki

Why not get a job at a tech desk or repair center, maybe offering your own PC services on the side, while you look for a place to start a career? i know a few people who've done this and they've been really successful doing freelance work then later landing jobs at major companies. Companies aren't hiring in droves now, but there's millions of people out there with PCs that constantly need repair, and given the choice many would rather have someone come to their house as opposed to unhooking everything and bringing it to the store.

MoxManiac

Atleast you guys have an established path for your careers...meaning you know what you want to do.

It's good and it's bad...honestly it seems CS and IT are way overcrowded right now..it sucks because this sort of career type is what i'm good at; I have an innate skill with technology and am interested in it; but unless I decide to do something else it's going to be an uphill battle, especially in this backwater state.

Gantz

Banned
Leon said:
This is a reason why you should decide to become a rock star, like me. You'll never be unemployed. Only indie/underground.

Yeah but all you bands sound the same. Anyway you need to do some serious networking. That's the best advice I can give you.

Mumbles

djtiesto said:

That goes for most fields, actually. Sorry, working in engineering, IT, etc. doesn't mean you get to be a social outcast. Try to find a few seminars or fairs through IEEE or the like - if you can afford it - you can meet people there as well. Strangely, the job offers started rolling in in my home state after I had already moved to Maryland for my new job. Monster, company websites, and newspaper ads were nearly worthless, except to point me towards a few job fairs.

Only other thing that matters in this market is an active security clearance, and you need to have a job to get one of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom