• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unity Engine will add native support for NVIDIA’s DLSS tech in 2021

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
geforce-rtx-unity-nvidia-dlss-integration-ogimage.jpg

Unity Technologies and NVIDIA announced that Unity developers will soon be able to add NVIDIA DLSS to their creations. Before the end of 2021, NVIDIA DLSS will be natively supported for the High Definition Render Pipeline in Unity 2021.2.

At GTC 2021, Light Brick Studio demonstrated how Unity games can look with real-time ray tracing and DLSS. You can watch their full talk for free here.
You can also check out a developer interview with Unity’s Mathieu Muller, senior product manager for high-end graphics.

As NVIDIA noted:
"NVIDIA DLSS uses advanced AI rendering to produce image quality that’s comparable to native resolution- and sometimes even better – while only conventionally rendering a fraction of the pixels.
With real-time ray tracing and NVIDIA DLSS, Unity developers will be able to create beautiful real-time ray traced worlds running at high frame rates and resolutions on NVIDIA RTX GPUs. DLSS also provides a substantial performance boost for traditional rasterized graphics"

unknown.png
unknown.png

Last edited:

Kuranghi

The VR one looks great but I still notice the degradation of the image in the other comparison, I'd imagine the difference is more stark natively. Does anyone else see the colour change when DLSS is enabled? The left one is olive green and the DLSS images are a more yellowy-green.

I've noticed this since the Death Stranding comparisons and I don't like it, I've had my display calibrated to be accurate, why does DLSS change the colour tone/saturation? Gamma/overall contrast is also altered slightly with the shadows being lighter on the DLSS images.

keeping up appearances 90s GIF

I'm sorry for being like this but I can't help it lol

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
The VR one looks great but I still notice the degradation of the image in the other comparison, I'd imagine the difference is more stark natively. Does anyone else see the colour change when DLSS is enabled? The left one is olive green and the DLSS images are a more yellowy-green.

I've noticed this since the Death Stranding comparisons and I don't like it, I've had my display calibrated to be accurate, why does DLSS change the colour tone/saturation? Gamma/overall contrast is also altered slightly with the shadows being lighter on the DLSS images.

I noticed it in the first screenshot. The top round parts of the blocks in previous pic have a texture or something on top of them. It is all but gone in the DLSS pic. Obviously this is not the case per everything running DLSS. But it is something that to me in games where image quality is what your going for, can make your game pop as much as you would want it. ANd with skyrocketing prices on hardware, to me I feel I would rather effects be toned down than image quality.

Techies

Was surprised to see Population One on the list, it's a decently optimized game and it will be interesting to see how much a difference DLSS can make in VR in terms of the resolution bump/performance/

ZehDon

Nice, really driving AI Up-scaling home as a key feature. With the Switch Pro rumoured to be packing it as well, I'll be curious how far it NVidia can push it.

DLSS isn’t perfect but it catapults my performance in games like Cyberpunk from unplayable to 60fps+. Very handy when people are unable to buy new cards to brute force through games.

There are definitely some issues but the alternative ways I got to 60fps (tweaking settings right down for instance) are not even in the same ball park looks wise. People compare it to native res but probably better to compare it to something that gets the same fps unless you are already over your monitor or TV refresh rate.

Videospel

I noticed it in the first screenshot. The top round parts of the blocks in previous pic have a texture or something on top of them. It is all but gone in the DLSS pic. Obviously this is not the case per everything running DLSS. But it is something that to me in games where image quality is what your going for, can make your game pop as much as you would want it. ANd with skyrocketing prices on hardware, to me I feel I would rather effects be toned down than image quality.
For a 200% fps increase I am willing to sacrifice my 'Lego' markings.

hlm666

dlss seems on a road to stay and expand more than die and disappear...(but let's be honest the pace is slow )
It's a safe bet nearly all unreal engine games going forward will have it, It's easy enough that indie devs for games like System Shock and The Fabled Woods implemented it easily.

“Adding Nvidia DLSS to The Fabled Woods was easy thanks to the Unreal Engine 4 plugin, and the impact it makes on performance is substantial,” CyberPunch Studios founder Joe Bauer said. “With the Unreal Engine 4 plugin, adding DLSS to The Fabled Woods was a no-brainer, it really opens DLSS up to a whole new world of developers.”

“The Unreal Engine 4 plugin makes light work of adding Nvidia DLSS to your game, in fact we dropped it in over the weekend,” Night Dive Studios lead engineer Matthew Kenneally said. “Bringing System Shock to a new generation of gamers has been a labor of love for our team, and the impact Nvidia DLSS will have on the player’s experience is undeniable.”

Bo_Hazem

Banned
More support for great tech is always a plus, this will force other to follow nVidia and make dedicated HW. Things will only get better from now.

RedVIper

Banned

It's probably the sharpening.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
AMD being so late to the game on this could have massive consequences. DLSS will be abundant in games a year from now and if the games cannot use AMD’s implementation due to late API’s they’ll be losing benchmarks left and right.

Top Bottom