• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unless something changes, Steam Deck won't run Destiny, Apex, PUBG or Siege (for the moment)

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The promise of Valve's new Steam Deck is to let you play your Steam catalogue on the go. But thanks to the particular makeup of the new handheld PC's OS, there may be some major caveats to that promise.

As a Linux-based system, the Deck's SteamOS has a somewhat limited selection of compatible games. To combat this, Valve developed a feature called Proton, which utilises a fork of the Wine compatibility layer, which is designed to help run native Windows titles on the OS—and while this does expand SteamOS's list of supported games considerably, there are some notable exceptions.

According to ProtonDB, almost half of Steam's 10 most popular games—Destiny 2, Apex Legends, PUBG and Rainbow Six Siege—will not work on SteamOS. The culprit, it seems, is anti-cheat software. In most cases games will start up, but their anti-cheat systems won't, leaving you unable to log into multiplayer servers.

Valve does note that the Steam Deck will come with a new version of SteamOS, and is currently "improving Proton's game compatibility and support for anti-cheat solutions by working directly with the vendors". In short, developers won't have to go through hoops to get their games working on SteamOS, but it'd help if their anti-cheat providers did.

We've reached out to Valve for comment on how exactly it's working to improve SteamOS compatibility.

MaulerX

I preordered one and the first thing I'll do is install Windows 11 as soon as I can. It's a no brainer with support for Direct Storage and a host of other gaming enhancements built into the new OS. Not to mention that it also supports Android apps which are already better suited for mobile (like Netflix etc...).

MrFunSocks

Banned
PUBG would be unplayable on the Deck anyway. It's terribly optimized. Not to mention at 720p PUBG would be almost unplayable against others that are on PC.

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned
I think this will be a very niche device because it's a PC and not pick up and play like the Switch.

There's way too much workaround for the casual userbase and the branding, look of the device, lack of first party ip's will hold it back from a sizeable userbase.

I don't expect it to compete with the mainstream consoles at all this holiday but I do expect Valve will be satisfied with much lesser sales.

1-2 million would be great and 10 million would be a miracle.

Last edited:

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
I think this will be a very niche device because it's a PC and not pick up and play like the Switch.

There's way too much workaround for the casual userbase and the branding, look of the device, lack of first party ip's will hold it back from a sizeable userbase.

I don't expect it to compete with the mainstream consoles at all this holiday but I do expect Valve will be satisfied with much lesser sales.

1-2 million would be great and 10 million would be a miracle.
It's not a PC in this sense at all it's very pick up and play. SteamOS 3.0 is completely new.

Zannegan

Interesting, but even if the worst came to the worst, it wouldn't affect my use of the portable. I'm mostly looking to play current and older single-player experiences.

I do wonder how playable the next CoD will be on Steam Deck. I skipped WWII because I hated the beta and just never went back, so I'm thinking of dipping back in and seeing how things are. I'd get destroyed by mouse and keyboard users, but that's life.

ethomaz

Banned
You can actually install Windows 10.
So it can play all these games you listed.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Sweet, now people won't need to be forced into the Windows walled garden.
Uhm… SteamOS is more of a walled garden 🧐

Install Windows, then you’re free to install Steam, as usual, and GOG, Epic Games Store, emulators and whatever else you run on your PC.

Or you can make a dual boot system and have access to it all, 512GB with two 256GB partitions, one SteamOS and one Windows
Clever GIF by memecandy

Patrick S.

Banned
"They'll work with the vendors" doesn't really mean the vendors are interested to begin with, or that this will ever happen.

I do hope it does happen, because that day I'll kiss Windows good bye for good.

Top Bottom