• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

TankUP

Honestly if he can get past Winds, he should be able to breeze through Dream if it is just working towards an ending. Might even inspired since the show will be over and he will want to reveal his superior product.

You're delusional. Breeze through Dream? INSPIRED? Are you high? What in the last 20 years has happened to make you think either is even possible?

Dream is never coming out while GRRM is alive. Makes me sick to say it, but I've spent 17 years as a fan of this book series and I've learned to accept certain truths.

Showaddy

Honestly if he can get past Winds, he should be able to breeze through Dream if it is just working towards an ending. Might even inspired since the show will be over and he will want to reveal his superior product.

Hahaha you realise he'll just write even slower when the show is done with zero pressure? The show ending isn't going to stop him writing with 1 finger, make him listen to his editors or prioritise his writing over all his hobby's and interests which he obviously enjoys more.

Azzanadra

Are you under some delusion that you have any power over what other people want to work on? Lol.

No, the scenario I outlined is next near to impossible bar some great tragedy (though I would to see GURM write an episode like with the earlier seasons). If I did have any power over what other people chose to work on, we'd have gotten Half Life 3, no more Star wars movies and Del Toro's "Monster".

sasliquid

They've both been psychopaths forever, are you disliking them now because they're acting against characters you actually care about?

I feel like they definetly were more nuanced earlier on and now they're actually doing stuff in the larger plot. I think my issues come from the fact I'm unsure if they're meant to seem like this or does the show want us to like them?

It all really a result of the shows creepy portrayal of violence

Turin

Banned
Dany's alleged psychopathy is more to do with the show's poor portrayal of her. She becomes randomly and unfairly brutal without much explanation by the show. Though it would be more accurate to say she seems bipolar.

Arya is basically a traumatized child soldier.

List of actual psychopaths in GoT:

-Joffrey
-Ramsay
-The Mountain
-Karl fooking Tanner

fixed

sasliquid

Perhaps I should of said they act occasionally psychopathic

Also I hope they never bring Sandor back in the books and let him rest.

Burt

Given that all sources point to the writers making Arya absolutely serious when she said that she was going to cut off her long-lost sisters face to understand the feel of pretty dresses and the total cognitive dissonance between her anger at Sansa and her blocking out her own experiences at the Sept/with Tywin

It's not out of the ballpark to say that she is (was) a psychopath

Granted, there's zero foundation for it in the show, even beyond Arya's first episode back where she and Sansa reconcile their past differences in front of their father's grave. But apparently there was nothing left to do in Winterfell, so the writer's said 'Fuck it, we're going to flip this switch and make Arya a psychopath for exactly however long it takes to manufacture some drama, then flip it off when it's time to wrap things up."

I seriously wouldn't have been surprised if they had given Sansa a scene where she comes into her room and the skins of those two guards who tried to stop her from getting into Winterfell were hanging over her bed. Because that's actually how they sincerely wrote Arya after her first episode in Winterfell.

Gigglepoo

The show really needed a scene where Arya and Sansa talk about what they had been through. The show keeps avoiding emotional conversations (Arya and Sansa talking about Bran, Jon telling anyone he died, Sam finding out his dad and brother died, Tyrion and Cercei talking about her pregnancy) in favor of "here's what we have to do now" plot beats.

Ambitious

I just realized: Why did Bran say that Jon's last name should be "Sand", when at this point, he had already witnessed Lyanna call him Aegon Targaryen?

fuzaco

I just realized: Why did Bran say that Jon's last name should be "Sand", when at this point, he had already witnessed Lyanna call him Aegon Targaryen?

He saw what we saw, so he probably didn't hear it, just like we didn't. He must have went closer the second time.
Or just another unimportant pothole.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I like that she's basically gotten her own theme song now, She deserves it.

Speaking of themes it always, ALWAYS gets to me how Daenerys theme song gets more and more epic as she adds to her power. In the beginning of the show its scant whispers in scenes with the dragon eggs or when she stands up to Viserys.

When the Dragons are born the chorus comes in, when she frees the unsullied their voices come into her song.

It's awesome.

In the show sure but I'm not so sure about in the books, he's no where near as emphasised there

What? He's a major character in the first three books. George spent lots of time on him with his origin, Sansa and Arya. Plus the seeds of his return are put in the fourth.

I'm not sure what the plan is in the book, if Stoneheart will recruit him, or if he'll go back to Kings Landing with the Sparrows, but I would eat a hat if he doesn't return and play some role in the endgame, in the books. I really think that both Clegane brothers dying and coming back is leading to something. Plus the Lord of Light kept him alive for a reason, and it wasn't to live with monks. I still wouldn't be surprised if Sandor is Azor Ahai.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Someone did a thread I think on some site of Sandor being mentioned and he was one of the big characters tbh. I'll try to find it.

Funniest thing I read all year so far. On par with "He's almost done with Feast, Dance should be out much quicker" and "Now that Dance is out, Winds should be full steam ahead".

After he's done with A Dream of Spring, he should be able to breeze through A Time for Wolves!

FStubbs

Jamie's probably going to tell Dany/Jon of her plan of betrayal. Or the Lannister forces are going to be scarred when they see the dead that they will follow Jamie's command.

Not sure about the forces she's going to get from Essos though.

I'm guessing the Lannister army will split and the vast majority will go with Jaime. Cersei's army will be the Golden Company.

WaffleTaco

Would anybody else laugh if Lady Stoneheart comes for Season 7 and gets captured by her at Riverrun? I might laugh out loud!

I'm guessing the Lannister army will split and the vast majority will go with Jaime. Cersei's army will be the Golden Company.

Still rolling for something else. Theon and Daario kill Euron and the Golden Company, Jamie and Bron steal the rest of her army away, so defeated she makes a deal with the Night King and betrays him, becoming... The Night Queen. It's so stupid that it has to happen.

Dany and Jon, worst romance ever.

Missendei and greyworm man had a better romance.

Couple of scenes of jon and danny mugging at each other then boom heres Jon snows buttcrack.

Most sanitised and boring romance on the show.

Fisico

Who will win in a sword fight?

Jaime Lannister in his prime vs Jon Snow (current version)

I don't think Jon faced any worthwile opponent at 100% yet.
He's pretty good but still has a notable lack of experience, especially in duel, in the tv series he's still alive because a lot of his opponents mess around with him instead of going for the kill (Qorin, the crow who left the nightwatch at Craster's keep, the Thenn during the wall attack, the white walker at Hardhome etc.), don't remember how these fights happened in the book though (minus whithewalker).
Now in a melee his plot armor makes him very powerful!

SteveWD40

I don't think Jon faced any worthwile opponent at 100% yet.
He's pretty good but still has a notable lack of experience, especially in duel, in the tv series he's still alive because a lot of his opponents mess around with him instead of going for the kill (Qorin, the crow who left the nightwatch at Craster's keep, the Thenn during the wall attack, the white walker at Hardhome etc.), don't remember how these fights happened in the book though (minus whithewalker).
Now in a melee his plot armor makes him very powerful!

Jon is an average fighter in the books iirc, not the legendary swordsman the show has made out, he is just trained vs the untrained at Castle Black / North of the Wall.

Prime Jaime would take him apart in seconds. He was seen as being in the same league as Barristan and Arthur Dayne (if not as good).

Turin

Banned
The power of plot armor never fails!

Jon is an average fighter in the books iirc, not the legendary swordsman the show has made out, he is just trained vs the untrained at Castle Black / North of the Wall.

Jon's suggested to be a very talented 17 year old since we're meant to be impressed with Mance Rayder in the books(he defeated Styr like 4 times without killing him to get the Thenns to join).

le.phat

Was this posted yet?
Game of Thrones; Or The Pain Of Falling Out Of Love With A Story

This is so on point on why I feel apathy towards the TV series falling apart. I decided to pull out of the series last season, but tuned in just for the finale and left again uncaring.

I think GRRM fucked up by co-signing off on the general plot points of GoT because unless he pulls the rug from underneath us, we will be spoiled by the TV-series in the end, however liberal it may have been written.

TrutaS

Was this posted yet?
Game of Thrones; Or The Pain Of Falling Out Of Love With A Story

This is so on point on why I feel apathy towards the TV series is falling apart. I decided to pull out of the series last season, but tuned in just for the finale and left again uncaring.

I think GRRM fucked up by co-signing off on the general plot points of GoT because unless he pulls the rug from underneath us, we will be spoiled by the TV-series in the end, however liberal it may have been written.

I have a feeling he is changing a lot of his initial intentions with the plot. I think characters will end up in completely different places (they already do) which ultimately means the game of thrones will end up completely different. Sure the fight with the white-walkers will happen, but even the participants will be different and the outcome will vary in the details.

If it ever happens, I think the story will feel fresh.

le.phat

I have a feeling he is changing a lot of his initial intentions with the plot. I think characters will end up in completely different places (they already do) which ultimately means the game of thrones will end up completely different. Sure the fight with the white-walkers will happen, but even the participants will be different and the outcome will vary in the details.

I hope George can still muster up the strength to take ASOIAF into a completely new direction. I think he will, if he's still passionate about this story, but i'm a little worried that he might feel burned out on the material and just wants to end the thing.

WaffleTaco

I mean...it's probably going to feel fresh, but I doubt he's changing much.

Kings Landing: Aegon & Co
The North: Stannis Wins
The East: Similar-ish to Show

mantidor

I think that prime Jaime is top 3 fighter in ASOIAF world (Dayne is at the top), Jon still has a long way to go.

I know is hard not to, I do the comparisons myself sometimes, but the underlying theme of the books and even the show is how these rankings area mix of bluff and legend and how luck plays a huge part in these fights, even if the skills there. That's why we have irony after irony. Jaime loses his hand, Barristan dies without glory in some corridor, Ned never defeated Dayne, it was Reed backstabbing him, etc, etc.

Gigglepoo

I know is hard not to, I do the comparisons myself sometimes, but the underlying theme of the books and even the show is how these rankings area mix of bluff and legend and how luck plays a huge part in these fights, even if the skills there. That's why we have irony after irony. Jaime loses his hand, Barristan dies without glory in some corridor, Ned never defeated Dayne, it was Reed backstabbing him, etc, etc.

Does luck play a huge part in these fights? I don't remember that being a factor in the books. Selmy went in to Duskendale alone to rescue The Mad King. I don't think there was any trickery involved. The "twist", as it were, was that he rescued a horrible king instead of letting him rot. But we never question Selmy's prowess.

Rather, I think Martin questions what it means to be a knight with honor. We're supposed to question if Jamie killing the Mad King was honorable. We're supposed to question if Selmy imprisioning Hizdahr zo Loraq was honorable. We're supposed to question if Ned is too honorable to shit. But I think the fights were real. This isn't like Harry Potter where our hero wins with luck and friendship.

(I'm not demeaning Harry Potter here. That Harry wins because of his friends is a core theme of the stories)

Also, Ned was never a great swordsman. It makes sense that Arthur Dayne, who was a great warrior, was only killed by treachery. And Selmy is sitll alive in the books.

Jon is an above average swordsman, possibly good in the books. It's worth remembering that for the most part, only highborn males get advanced weapon training from youth to adulthood, so on average they're all good enough to kill a lot of people in a battle (since most soldiers are lowborn). Jon was given all the training Robb received. He's good enough to outright defeat nearly everyone he faces in the books: lowborn NW members, wildlings, etc. The only person who outright embarrassed/defeated him was Mance Rayder.

Turin

Banned
He held his own against Mance but it was clear who the better fighter was. The embarrassment was in thinking he lost to Rattleshirt.

Top Bottom