• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 4 license costs (w/ source code): $19 monthly sub, 5% royalty rate

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Unreal Engine 4 Features Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD5cRnrMqWw

Tim Sweeney Message: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS6q1H23njM

ue4-2vqkej.png

Console Note:

Epic said:
What if I need to build my game for console?

That's a conversation you'll need to have with us, and we encourage you to do so! Lots of teams are using UE4 to ship on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. It's perfect for teams of all sizes.

In case you're wondering why console code isn't on GitHub, we're giving away as much as we can, however there are non-disclosure agreements and legal restrictions with platform holders that prohibit us from distributing that code.

In addition, we find that console development requires more personalized support, so if you need to ship your game for PlayStation 4 and/or Xbox One, please check our custom licensing page.

UE4 is designed to help developers succeed on consoles, and we want to give you a leg up, so please get in touch!

https://unrealengine.com/faq

Epic's UE biz change doesn't apply to PS4, Xbox One: "The console terms are custom-negotiated, it would depend on the scale"
https://twitter.com/gamasutra/status/446320951337054208

Note: Or in other words, if you're an indie working on consoles you're going to get it cheap, but if you're making the next AAAA console game you're probably going to pay a big lump sum instead of 5% royalty rates.

Via Quentyn:

Unreal Engine 4 launches today. What we’re releasing is both simple and radical: everything.

Epic’s goal is to put the engine within reach of everyone interested in building games and 3D content, from indies to large triple-A development teams, and Minecraft creators as well. For $19/month you can have access to everything, including the Unreal Editor in ready-to-run form, and the engine’s complete C++ source code hosted on GitHub for collaborative development.

This is the complete technology we at Epic use when building our own games, forged by years of experience shipping games like Gears of War for Xbox and Infinity Blade for iOS, and now reinvented for a new generation. Having the full C++ source provides the ultimate flexibility and puts developers in control of their schedules and destinies: Whatever you require to build and ship your game, you can find it in UE4, source it in the GitHub community, or build it yourself – and then share it with others.

Develop in the Unreal Ecosystem

Beyond the tools and source, Unreal Engine 4 provides an entire ecosystem. Chat in the forums, add to the wiki, participate in the AnswerHub Q&A, and join collaborative development projects via GitHub.

To help you get started, we’re shipping lots of ready-made content, samples, and game templates. You’ll find it in the Marketplace in the Unreal Editor. Right now, it simply hosts free stuff from Epic, but its resemblance to the App Store is no coincidence: It will grow into a complete ecosystem for sharing community-created content, paid and free, and open for everyone’s participation!

Ship Games with Unreal

We’re working to build a company that succeeds when UE4 developers succeed. Anyone can ship a commercial product with UE4 by paying 5% of gross revenue resulting from sales to users. If your game makes $1,000,000, then we make $50,000. We realize that’s a lot to ask, and that it would be a crazy proposition unless UE4 enables you to build way better games way more productively than otherwise!

So, will this effort succeed? That’s up to you and your judgment of the engine’s value. Unreal Engine 4 has been built by a team of over 100 engineers, artists and designers around the world, and this launch represents all of our hopes and dreams of how major software can be developed and distributed in the future.

We find this future very exciting. It’s no longer dominated by giant publishers and marketing campaigns, but by a simple and honest proposition: Gamers pay for great games, and anybody who can valuably contribute to building those games can succeed, from indie developers, to large triple-A teams, and to individual programmers and content creators, too.

A New Beginning

This first release of Unreal Engine 4 is just the beginning. In the C++ code, you can see many new initiatives underway, for example to support Oculus VR, Linux, Valve’s Steamworks and Steam Box efforts, and deployment of games to web browsers via HTML5. It’s all right there, in plain view, on day one of many years of exciting and open development ahead!

We have enjoyed building Unreal Engine 4 so far and hope you will join us on this journey as a contributor to the future of Unreal!

Tim Sweeney
Founder, Epic Games

https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/welcome-to-unreal-engine-4

L~A

Unless I'm mistaken, Unity doesn't take any royalties on game sales, right? If yes, then I'm sure indies will stick to Unity, since it apparently covers many more platforms.

Quentyn

Unreal Engine 4 launches today. What we’re releasing is both simple and radical: everything.

Epic’s goal is to put the engine within reach of everyone interested in building games and 3D content, from indies to large triple-A development teams, and Minecraft creators as well. For $19/month you can have access to everything, including the Unreal Editor in ready-to-run form, and the engine’s complete C++ source code hosted on GitHub for collaborative development.

This is the complete technology we at Epic use when building our own games, forged by years of experience shipping games like Gears of War for Xbox and Infinity Blade for iOS, and now reinvented for a new generation. Having the full C++ source provides the ultimate flexibility and puts developers in control of their schedules and destinies: Whatever you require to build and ship your game, you can find it in UE4, source it in the GitHub community, or build it yourself – and then share it with others.

Develop in the Unreal Ecosystem

Beyond the tools and source, Unreal Engine 4 provides an entire ecosystem. Chat in the forums, add to the wiki, participate in the AnswerHub Q&A, and join collaborative development projects via GitHub.

To help you get started, we’re shipping lots of ready-made content, samples, and game templates. You’ll find it in the Marketplace in the Unreal Editor. Right now, it simply hosts free stuff from Epic, but its resemblance to the App Store is no coincidence: It will grow into a complete ecosystem for sharing community-created content, paid and free, and open for everyone’s participation!

Ship Games with Unreal

We’re working to build a company that succeeds when UE4 developers succeed. Anyone can ship a commercial product with UE4 by paying 5% of gross revenue resulting from sales to users. If your game makes $1,000,000, then we make $50,000. We realize that’s a lot to ask, and that it would be a crazy proposition unless UE4 enables you to build way better games way more productively than otherwise!

So, will this effort succeed? That’s up to you and your judgment of the engine’s value. Unreal Engine 4 has been built by a team of over 100 engineers, artists and designers around the world, and this launch represents all of our hopes and dreams of how major software can be developed and distributed in the future.

We find this future very exciting. It’s no longer dominated by giant publishers and marketing campaigns, but by a simple and honest proposition: Gamers pay for great games, and anybody who can valuably contribute to building those games can succeed, from indie developers, to large triple-A teams, and to individual programmers and content creators, too.

A New Beginning

This first release of Unreal Engine 4 is just the beginning. In the C++ code, you can see many new initiatives underway, for example to support Oculus VR, Linux, Valve’s Steamworks and Steam Box efforts, and deployment of games to web browsers via HTML5. It’s all right there, in plain view, on day one of many years of exciting and open development ahead!

We have enjoyed building Unreal Engine 4 so far and hope you will join us on this journey as a contributor to the future of Unreal!

Tim Sweeney
Founder, Epic Games

https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/welcome-to-unreal-engine-4

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Things are really heating up now!
This gen is gonna be awesome.

Ok new thread I'll post what I said in the other one

So now we may start seeing more indies try more graphically intensive games?

Sulik2

Wow. This a major revision of their business model. Interesting. I wonder if a 5% royalty will make them enough money.

The Llama

Certainly doesn't seem very bad at all. I wonder if dropping the royalty rate pretty low is because they don't expect many AAA games to use it anyway.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
This is a big deal.

Much cheaper than my current sub to Unity.

Hope it puts pressure on Unity to maybe come down in price. Not sure I want to jump into C++ land, but I think I'll definitely give this a proper whirl once it's on OSX and consider a migration.

daxgame

That's... not too good.
UE3 was very cheap and the business model was great. Of course this isn't expensive, but the fact that you can't "buy it forever" in any case - I don't like it.
Also they previously earned royalties only after a certain sum. And, you can't even download it for free to try it, I guess.

Also:
Android support is rough and hasn't undergone compatibility testing
iOS deployment currently requires a Mac

... meh.

Blizzard

Banned
That's... not too good.
UE3 was very cheap and the business model was great. Of course this isn't expensive, but the fact that you can't "buy it forever" in any case - I don't like it.
Also they previously earned royalties only after a certain sum. And, you can't even download it for free to try it, I guess.

Also:
Android support is rough and hasn't undergone compatibility testing
iOS deployment currently requires a Mac

... meh.
Yeah, I agree that this isn't as nice as the previous UDK setup where you could try it for free, and I really dislike no way to "buy it forever".

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Why, is Unity bad?

Spend ten minutes trying to make a GUI in Unity and you'll find out for yourself. ;)

Honest answer: Unity is good for small-scale 3D games, but anything more than that and you're gonna need a bigger boat. Having a major engine like Unreal available to indie/small developers will provide them with an engine to match their ambitions, and not shackle them with Unity's restrictions.

EDarkness

Not sure how I feel about giving them 5% forever. On top of that they don't support all platforms. Perhaps good for some folks, but I don't really see much advantage. Definitely not something I'd get into.

Orayn

Only for PC devs, it's not huge if you're a multiplat developer.

Still, game that does well with this model has a good chance of either making enough money for a console license or attracting a publisher who'd be willing to help out.

Indie devs are almost never in a good position to release on consoles right out of the gate unless they get their foot in the door with a publisher or the console makers themselves, so it's not like this is any worse than current arrangements.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Anyone else not see a problem with this? If you're risk averse, release your game on PC first. If it's good, the console guys will be there to help get your game onto their platforms anyway.
Only for PC devs, it's not huge if you're a multiplat developer.
It's basically "If you're indie you get it cheap, if you're making Deus Ex 4 you're going to pay us a lump sum instead of 5% of your revenue."

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
What are the differencies between current UE4 model, UE3 model and Unity current model, in these terms? Thanks to whoever answer :)

Top Bottom