• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 4 license costs (w/ source code): $19 monthly sub, 5% royalty rate

EVIL

I don't think its on the same level of visual fidelity of the Cry Engine,

- shaders
- textures
-physics

the only visually appealing game from UE3 was Mirrors Edge.

don't know why I am being attacked.

Because your opinion looks to be based on a serious lack of knowledge on the subject and seems to be only based from engine feature video's and released games.

UE4 has the same physically based shading implemented for materials as cryengine
Textures are not limited by the engine, and its simply a decision made by the developer.
UE4 has the same physics possibilities then cryengine.

Also we are talking about the engine from a developers standpoint, and ease of use of tools is a big point and that is something that's better done in UE4 compared to cryengine.

Cool. I will work on the thread today after I get home, so it will still be a few hours away.

Hopefully UnrealEngine (the user) also comes with us :p

Sweet! I shall be getting my copy of UE4 soon, so I can start playing with it and share my insights into the engine from an artist viewpoint.

I think they specifically address this but it's 5% royalty on direct sales from the product. The example they gave is that if you had a 20 dollar tier that gave a copy of the game, you would owe 5% of that. But if you had a 50 dollar tier that gave a poster and a game then you would owe 5% on the 20 dollars for the game but not the 30 for the poster.

I think his point he was trying to make is that in that $20 tier you would pay EPIC $1 even though you're not getting $20 from Kickstarter since with their fees plus Paypal you're getting closer to $18. EPIC get their royalty from the gross sales not from the actual money you get from the sale. You need to take that into account for your budget.

Blizzard

Banned

- shaders
- textures
-physics

No one was attacking you -- you just provided a single comment that UE4 is not on the same level, without any explanation of which things were lacking or what you disliked.

It sounds as though you are talking about UE3 instead of UE4, too.

element

- shaders
- textures
-physics

Shaders and Textures are content. Something could be made in both and you could make them look almost identical.

Physics vary between toolsets. Also some companies will integrate a 3rd party tool such as Havok or Nvidia Physx.

I wouldn't say I'm attacking you, but your first statement had no context. But your second statement tells me that you have never used either toolset before.

megalowho

I don't know much about game engines but 5% still seems like too much for most indies that are expecting decent sales considering how fast Unity has been progressing and the community surrounding it. It was the reasoning Campo Santo gave behind their decision to go with Unity over Unreal on the Giant Bomb GDC stream. Still it's a better deal for developers than it was before, much lower barrier to entry. I'm sure we'll get some beautiful looking games running on UE4 over the next few years and I can't wait to see 'em.

element

I don't know much about game engines but 5% still seems like too much for most indies that are expecting decent sales considering how fast Unity has been progressing and the community surrounding it. It was the reasoning Campo Santo gave behind their decision to go with Unity over Unreal on the Giant Bomb GDC stream. Still it's a better deal for developers than it was before, much lower barrier to entry. I'm sure we'll get some beautiful looking games running on UE4 over the next few years and I can't wait to see 'em.
The 5% is very reasonable, especially considering the upfront cost. Unity Pro is $1,500 per person which is a lot to fork over upfront for most indie developers.

That puts it around $2500 per user in software costs upfront.

Sure you have to pay on the backend, but might be your only option.

Top Bottom