• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 4 license costs (w/ source code): $19 monthly sub, 5% royalty rate

Animator

I just wanted to say, "DUDE, THAT'S AWESOME!"

As someone who has the fine pleasure of getting to do a lot of community outreach stuff, I very much look forward to being buried in an onslaught of new games from indies, students, and hobbyists.

New ideas can cultivate a lot of amazing things!

As a side note, Blizzard, I saw you PM'd me, but it looks like you got some pretty awesome responses in the thread. If you need anything further or have more questions, ping me! If I don't know the answer, I'll try to find out for you.

Just wanted to say whoever designed the UI of UE4 needs to get a raise. It is hands down the best UI I have ever used.

zoku88

Oculus work is already there, but in the Source. Where the PC, Mac, iOS and Android deployment capabilities are ready to go in binary "out of the box" so to speak, Oculus, HTML5, and Linux are in the Source side on Github.

You can extend and modify this code, and also build and ship games with it.

Oh, is that so? All of the websites reporting on it made it seem like those were in the works. But if those are there right now, I might take a gander.

One reason i love unity is the asset store, not being a modeller i rely on buying quality models elsewhere, ones that are setup already for the engine are perfect.

Does unreal offer any kind of asset store or a place to buy premade models already rigged e.t.c for the engine ?

Animator

One reason i love unity is the asset store, not being a modeller i rely on buying quality models elsewhere, ones that are setup already for the engine are perfect.

Does unreal offer any kind of asset store or a place to buy premade models already rigged e.t.c for the engine ?

You can use the unity store models in unreal as well since they are just obj/fbx files most of the time.

Spinluck

GAF let's buy this, and make a good Spider-Man and HL3 together.

EDIT: this is really neat though. I'm an animator though, but I really admire the number crunching side of things. Awesome that more people will be able to get their hands on this.

belushy

Banned

There will be in the future. UE4 has a marketplace button.

Like Jay said, it has a marketplace that really just needs a few weeks before stuff starts piling in I'm supposing. For now, Epic has a few self-made projects up there for free that you can have. They say you can do anything with the assets inside, so I'm pretty sure that means using it in your own project.

Hindl

Goddamnit Epic right as I'm about to start doing something in Unity you have to tempt me like this ;_;

How's the UE4 community here? There's a pretty extensive Unity community where there's a bunch of tutorials and a lot of knowledgable members willing to teach. Are there a lot of people on here with UE4 experience? I might wanna see how UE 4 works out and some help would be nice

Raide

Just watching some of the tutorial video. That looks pretty easy to use. I like the Blueprint stuff.

I love designing things and coming up with ideas but my utter lack of coding ability means I never actually make anything. :D

Skinpop

Just watching some of the tutorial video. That looks pretty easy to use. I like the Blueprint stuff.

I love designing things and coming up with ideas but my utter lack of coding ability means I never actually make anything. :D

I think you're still gonna need pretty good c++ knowledge to make games in UE4.

Raide

I think you're still gonna need pretty good c++ knowledge to make games in UE4.

Yeah, this is always the thing that holds me back. For some reason my brain just does not like Programming and I never have the patience enough to learn it and get good. :D

I wonder how far you can actually go just using the Blueprints etc. I am guessing you need a certain amount of programming knowledge just to know what you need to do to get something achieved.

EVIL

Yeah, this is always the thing that holds me back. For some reason my brain just does not like Programming and I never have the patience enough to learn it and get good. :D

I wonder how far you can actually go just using the Blueprints etc. I am guessing you need a certain amount of programming knowledge just to know what you need to do to get something achieved.
There is also the knowledge base where you can search what thinga do, or how to get certain thing done. And it's community driven I think, so it will only get better.

UnrealEngine

Epic Games
Does this cover platforms other than PC?

Hi Chobel -

Unreal Engine 4 Subscription allows you to deploy to PC, Mac, iOS and Android, through the engine and tools download from the website.

If you'd like to work on Oculus VR, HTML5 or Linux, that is part of the subscription as well, an available to access through the source on Github, where you can extend or modify this code and ship on these platforms.

UnrealEngine

Epic Games
There is also the knowledge base where you can search what thinga do, or how to get certain thing done. And it's community driven I think, so it will only get better.

If you're evaluating, definitely take a look at what we've got (and let us know what we could do better!). We have the docs site which is all of our documentation, as well as Youtube Playlists available.

We also have a wiki page, which will continue to be built out by the community over time as well.

Is this good or bad?

Good for indie developers in the short-term but potentially bad in the long-term for competition (such as Unity that can't depend on game sales) and thus also developers with lack of competition. The race to the bottom is usually not a healthy long-term strategy for an industry.

Zaptruder

Banned
Goddammit epic. Why did you have to take out dynamic global illumination? Unity 5 has that shit coming... and that's one of my biggest wants from an engine D:

MrOddbird

Neo Member
This is a such a great deal! I'm currently developing a freeware game for Unity, but have wanted to switch over to Unreal. At 19$ it's a steal for such a vast array of features.

A big for UDK was the accessibility, but this seems like a much more cleaner/user-friendly interface. I honestly cannot wait to dive into stuff like PBR and node-based scripting.

It's a good time to be a game developer! Exciting stuff!

Blizzard

Banned
God for indie developers in the short-term but potentially bad in the long-term for competition (such as Unity that can't depend on game sales) and thus also developers with lack of competition. The race to zero is usually not a healthy long-term strategy for an industry.

Goddammit epic. Why did you have to take out dynamic global illumination? Unity 5 has that shit coming... and that's one of my biggest wants from an engine D:

Maybe this would let Unity compete then?

I'm trying to understand how there's no competition, if both Unreal and Crytek have adopted subscription strategies, and Unity has additional features to offer compared to Epic.

And if Unity's problem is not getting enough funding from games, can't they change their payment model to include a royalty like Unreal and/or Epic?

demolitio

I really need to learn some of the engine side of things so I can realize my visions. :p

I just miss old school games where skills mattered.

Blizzard

Banned
Really stupid question since #unrealengine wasn't sure: If I am going to subscribe, should I wait until April 2 to get that month's version? Or does the subscription always last exactly 30 days before it renews?

*edit* Someone said based on billing, it's renewal after 30 days, cool.

*edit again*

Some people are already posting really cool things on the Unreal forums:

http://www.gixer.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/udk4_first_test.png
https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?37-Testing-the-new-UE4-features

Really stupid question since #unrealengine wasn't sure: If I am going to subscribe, should I wait until April 2 to get that month's version? Or does the subscription always last exactly 30 days before it renews?

Yeah, I renewed last night and I have until April 22nd to renew or cancel. Pretty good system.

Really impressed with what I have seen so far (once I got out of visual studio version hell). Going to sink my teeth into it next week

Blizzard

Banned
Yeah, I renewed last night and I have until April 22nd to renew or cancel. Pretty good system.

Really impressed with what I have seen so far (once I got out of visual studio version hell). Going to sink my teeth into it next week
I was wondering if one of the Express versions would work or if you have to have a pro version. The express versions worked with UDK.

I suspect I will haev to finally upgrade again from VS 2010 Express though. :p

I was wondering if one of the Express versions would work or if you have to have a pro version. The express versions worked with UDK.

I suspect I will haev to finally upgrade again from VS 2010 Express though. :p

I had VS 2010 installed and it complained that I needed 2013. So I installed that and it now let me open code projects... except it opened in 2010 anyway?

So yeah, it seemed to work fine from there. Either way, the 2013 for Desktop free version or whatever it is called will work just fine.

I had VS 2010 installed and it complained that I needed 2013. So I installed that and it now let me open code projects... except it opened in 2010 anyway?

So yeah, it seemed to work fine from there. Either way, the 2013 for Desktop free version or whatever it is called will work just fine.

That's because your .sln file association is probably still pointed at VS 2010. You should change sln's to be opened by the "visual studio version selector" and it should look up and open it in the correct version (that also keeps your 2010 sln's opening in VS 2010).

That's because your .sln file association is probably still pointed at VS 2010. You should change sln's to be opened by the "visual studio version selector" and it should look up and open it in the correct version (that also keeps your 2010 sln's opening in VS 2010).

Yeah got that all sorted (had other library conflicts).

Just thought it was odd that it didn't pick it up 2010 originally. Mind you, I have so much crap on my dev box that it is probably my fault.

Speaking of which, my i5, 8GB box isn't going to cut it for this :|

Blizzard

Banned
Yeah got that all sorted (had other library conflicts).

Just thought it was odd that it didn't pick it up 2010 originally. Mind you, I have so much crap on my dev box that it is probably my fault.

Speaking of which, my i5, 8GB box isn't going to cut it for this :|
What graphics card do you have? I have a i5-3570k at 4.2 GHz, and a GTX 770, and also 8GB of memory. Since I just built this (within the last year?) I probably don't want to upgrade just yet.

What graphics card do you have? I have a i5-3570k at 4.2 GHz, and a GTX 770, and also 8GB of memory. Since I just built this (within the last year?) I probably don't want to upgrade just yet.

AMD 6950 and i5 2500k. I can still get around, it is just some things take a minute or so, but I think you should be ok. Maybe things like the reflections demo will be a struggle (as you might expect).

Raxious

Sooo, I've got a couple of assets in UE3 that I'd love to bring over into UE4. I know it's not possible to drag em straight into it.

What should I be doing?

Source code being released is megaton news, and 5% royalties aren't that bad. IIRC the commissions on UDK used to be a lot higher (one random internet answer claims 25% (!!!)). And given that UE still has some advantages over Unity, this makes it very attractive again.

Bollocks

At the end of the day it all comes down to documentation, if they can provide that then UE4 is hands down the best engine you can get for that price.

Superior 3D editor, documentation, full engine access, blueprint visual scripting, though to beat that.

I'm a newer programmer looking to get into game design and have been looking at Unity so far, how does UE4 fare in comparison for someone looking to learn but not having a lot of experience yet?

The unreal engine 4 shader editor and Blueprint looks amazing, really easy to set up different materials just based on what theyre made of. I know unity 5 has physically based shading coming, but does it have a node editor as well? It looks like you need to code in textures, and I don't understand not having a node editor in 2014 or having to buy one extra

Completely new to this stuff but I was waiting for details on UE4 to surface because I'm trying to start development on a game myself. Couple of questions:

- How would the payment model apply to a free game? I'm not talking F2P, microtransactions, anything like that. Just a completely free title with no initial commercial intent.

- I have virtually zero programming experience and none with game engines. Is there a suitable amount of tutorial content available for learning UE, and now UE4?

For specificity's sake, I'm looking to make a cel-shaded, multiplayer-only arena shooter title with conservative graphic fidelity. Is UE4 the way to go for something like that, or would it be wiser to just go with something like a Cryengine 3 free license?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
- How would the payment model apply to a free game? I'm not talking F2P, microtransactions, anything like that. Just a completely free title with no initial commercial intent.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=105040532&postcount=147

No royalties are due on the following:

Ancillary products, including t-shirts, CDs, plushies, action figures and books. The exception is items with embedded data or information, such as QR codes, that affect the operation of the product.

Consulting and work-for-hire services using the engine. This applies to architects using the engine to create visualizations as well as consultants receiving a development fee.

Linear media, including movies, animated films and cartoons distributed as video.

Cabinet-based arcade games and amusement park rides.

Truly free games and apps (with no associated revenue).

M3d10n

Real-time GI requires a relatively expensive GPU to run at good framerates and loses a lot of it's advantages if your game needs to support toggling it off for lower end machines because either:

1) Your game will look like crap with either a constant ambient term everywhere or completely dark areas that should be lit by indirect lighting or...

2) You'll need to provide baked alternatives to the GI, like lightmaps or local ambient lights, which will limit the possibilities for dynamic environments and increase development time.

A game that properly uses real-time GI is like Doom 3 and it's usage of per-pixel lighting and stencil shadows: the game is broken when you turn them off (even in the lowest settings Doom 3 retained the lights and environment shadows, you need hacks to disable them).

They'll probably add it later... when they find out a simpler version that can work on the PS4 and XBone. Also, I suppose the real-time GI has it's own set of art-pipeline problems, like light leaking through walls and stuff like that.

Animator

They'll probably add it later... when they find out a simpler version that can work on the PS4 and XBone. Also, I suppose the real-time GI has it's own set of art-pipeline problems, like light leaking through walls and stuff like that.

The GI thing coming in Unity 5 is already available in UE4 as well (apparently developed by Lionhead studios). I think they will add it to the next update. There is a separate thread here that posted tweets from Unreal devs and an example video for it.

This open source thing will work wonders for the engine once all the game companies that use it start sharing the good stuff.

whiteape

Seems like my GPU can't even run the Editor, so i'll stick with Unity for now. Really wanted to try that Blueprint system :(

lFuib.png

Top Bottom