• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 5.1 Features Scalable Lumen To Achieve 60fps On Consoles, And More

93xfan

Banned
While I do think modern upscaling tech is really good in what it achieves I don't like this push towards "native pixel counts don't matter anymore" and "this upscaled 1440p to 4K is the same as native", its completely not the same in 99% of cases and there is a not-insignificant trade-off in IQ when you do it.

Fair enough if you can't tell the difference but I can and I hate this we don't need native anymore pish. *grumpy armfold*
I think it’s more that it isn’t worth the costs in many cases. For example, look at the 60FPS mode in FH5 on Series X and tell me you wouldn’t rather have a decent draw distance

FireFly

well, it seems pretty heavy at the moment and it still has limitations.

we will see, but Nanite has the biggest potential to be used on console out of all the new features UE5 has.
From what I remember Epic said that the rendering cost for Nanite was similar to the approaches used on last gen. The drawbacks are more lack of support for foliage and animated objects, which this update somewhat addresses.

MikeM

60 fps is here to stay!

Back To School What GIF

Shifty

While I do think modern upscaling tech is really good in what it achieves I don't like this push towards "native pixel counts don't matter anymore" and "this upscaled 1440p to 4K is the same as native", its completely not the same in 99% of cases and there is a not-insignificant trade-off in IQ when you do it.

Fair enough if you can't tell the difference but I can and I hate this we don't need native anymore pish. *grumpy armfold*
Dirty DevOps cheater solutions, every last one of them :messenger_angry:

Though unfortunately I only see it getting worse, since display manufacturers are running ever further ahead of where console CPUs / GPUs are at.

CamHostage

Rocket League is UE3, I wonder if that will ever get a true current gen version, because that would mean a new UE3 release on current gen in 202X

They're upgrading it to UE5, in time. This will likely be more of a maintenance/preservation move (ala Fortnite) rather than a bold new next-gen "Rocket League 2", because it's just an old codebase at this point that they keep retrofitting (they already had some problems with the next-gen version deploy and UE3 is just going to get older) but they'll want to preserve as accurately as possible the gameplay in transition. Granted, they could do some new things with it once it's over, but the main thing is to make sure Rocket League still keeps being Rocket League.

This update might get me to use ue5 more.
It fixes a lot my issues with it.
The poor performance from lumen feels like shit in the editor. Its so laggy.
Plus nanite supports foliage and they fixed the stutterstruggle.
Compiling those pso shaders are such a pain, no wonder devs skip on it.

There are still tons of bugs i hope they fix.
World partition and the water system to support tiled landscapes.
Make chaos physics more stable. Right now its braking things that worked fine with physx.

Atm still like 4 more than 5 but this is a good step in the right direction.

Give a 120 fps 1440p mode.
I would choose a 60 fps 1440p mode with double the details in everything, or other graphical wizardry. As long as it doesn’t dip under 60 fps. Or 40 fps 1440p with unlimited graphics 😁. 30 fps, never again though, if your tv is bigger than 42 inch it’s horrible and on my 139 inch projection screen it’s abysmal 😢.

Edit: I’m really happy to finally see the push to 60 fps again, with slight detail loss, instead of 30fps with better graphics after all those years of torture.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Only people who thought it wasn't are FUD spreaders

I do think it is too due to the better CPUs among many other reasons but even now the 30fps modes are the ones that people are basing their "this game looks like or close to what i want from next-gen" opinions on, the gap will only get larger as the gen goes on until the one lauded as the "TLOU2" of this new gen graphically will be significantly different in the 60fps mode.

sobaka770

Banned
What's the first big game to actually come out on this engine? So far there were plenty of demos but just like with UE3, the first games were showing a lot of limitations of early tech.

sinnergy

What's the first big game to actually come out on this engine? So far there were plenty of demos but just like with UE3, the first games were showing a lot of limitations of early tech.
Creating creative works take time .. developers have a good workable build of the engine for less of a year.

I think it’s more that it isn’t worth the costs in many cases. For example, look at the 60FPS mode in FH5 on Series X and tell me you wouldn’t rather have a decent draw distance
Nobody admits thus but there's a huge gap in graphics quality in FH5 going from the 60 fps to 30. They had to tone down a lot of the tesselates high res textures and the lighting is worse too at 60.

Which begs the question: Are these consoles even capable of unreal 5 games at 60? So many can't even run fidelity mode quality visuals at 60 fps using hood upscaling.

Ratchet, Spiderman, forza 5, horizon fw to name a few that are scaled way down to hit 60 (ratchet and Horizon not too bad but Spiderman and Forza look last gen at 60 fps). Lots of games like this.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Yes that’s why, if you read, I say I’d prefer 60 above 120. Don’t know what’s the lol about that 😇
Ah my bad. I just found it very weird to prefer 60 fps over 120 fps so it was a surprise you preferred 60 fps.

MikeM

Nobody admits thus but there's a huge gap in graphics quality in FH5 going from the 60 fps to 30. They had to tone down a lot of the tesselates high res textures and the lighting is worse too at 60.

Which begs the question: Are these consoles even capable of unreal 5 games at 60? So many can't even run fidelity mode quality visuals at 60 fps using hood upscaling.

Ratchet, Spiderman, forza 5, horizon fw to name a few that are scaled way down to hit 60 (ratchet and Horizon not too bad but Spiderman and Forza look last gen at 60 fps). Lots of games like this.
That is true no matter the situation tho. If you peaked at 60fps max settings on PC and want 120fps, you need to lower your settings accordingly to hit that frametime.

Also, pretty sure that Fortnite uses UE5.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I still have to see something better than this.
This is the next gen they promise me and is yet to come after almost 3 years

Almost three years of what? The consoles were released 1 year and 9 months ago.

I agree there is a disturbing lack of true next-gen stuff so far though, everything is just PS4+.

Last edited:

sinnergy

When your engine is bound by last gen, you can’t use all the new features like: mesh shading , SFS, etc so until we see games exclusively for this generation.. we don’t know.

ahtlas7

This update might get me to use ue5 more.
It fixes a lot my issues with it.
The poor performance from lumen feels like shit in the editor. Its so laggy.
Plus nanite supports foliage and they fixed the stutterstruggle.
Compiling those pso shaders are such a pain, no wonder devs skip on it.

There are still tons of bugs i hope they fix.
World partition and the water system to support tiled landscapes.
Make chaos physics more stable. Right now its braking things that worked fine with physx.

Atm still like 4 more than 5 but this is a good step in the right direction.
You are a developer?

Ah my bad. I just found it very weird to prefer 60 fps over 120 fps so it was a surprise you preferred 60 fps.
No problem 😁. Of course I’d prefer 120 if the graphics would be the same but it’s a bit useless as of now because most people don’t even have a 120hz tv or monitor. So with the current gpu power and average 60hz tv I’d prefer 60fps for best effect until all tv/monitors support 120hz and gpu power would be sufficient 🙂

A lot of people were afraid we're only gonna get 30 FPS UE5 optimized games featuring Lumen.
Just to be clear. If ANY full game looks as good as the matrix demo and holds 30 fps, that would be quite an achievement. Idk who is looking at that matrix demo and thinking it would be a bad thing to have games like that. I think the demo was universally accepted as inspiring for this gen!

Any full game that is going to run at 60fps is not going to look nearly as good as that sub 30fps demo. I just don't want you to think "oh good now we will have games that look like the matrix demo but run at 60fps"...if that's even what you were thinking.

You are a developer?
Im a hobbyist. Use ue4 everyday. Atm working on a couple demos. A shooter, melee and racing game. After that planning to commit to a large scale project.
Or a gamejam with others to get collaborative experience. But only once I feel like I've learned all the basics.
Are you into gamedev too?

Amiga

No thats for the Path Tracer.
Currently it will only use one of your GPUs to render.
With this update it will use im assuming any number of GPUs in your system.
How dose a gaming system use multiple GPUs? I thought this stopped. I tried to look it up, but the applications for multi-GPUs today are for machine learning.

Banned
How dose a gaming system use multiple GPUs? I thought this stopped. I tried to look it up, but the applications for multi-GPUs today are for machine learning.

the only gaming card that still supports it is the 3090 (and the 3090ti)
it never was good and is a complete waste of money these days anyways

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
The Path Tracer in Unreal Engine 5 is basically for offline rendering it isnt actually for gaming. (atleast not yet, with more powerful GPU who knows)
Remember that Unreal Engine at this point is much much more than just a gaming engine.
You can use the Path Tracer to do Light/Shadow mapping, ground truth renders or when you need to render out cutscenes/movies.

Most if not all GPU render engines will utilize all GPUs in a system even without the interlink.

Unreal Engine 5 prior to V5.1 would basically ignore the other GPUs in your system.
With this update I guess it will utilize them.

hussar16

Don't expect that much from UE5 is what I'm trying to say.
UE5 is basically UE4.11 basically. yes it has new features, but especially on Console most of them will most likely not be used all that much, or if they are they will be used sparingly I bet
That's because we have not seen any unreal 5 games yet.we are stil using last generation engines.

ABnormal

I still have to see something better than this.
This is the next gen they promise me and is yet to come after almost 3 2 years
The engine has barely entered its commercial phase, and games require years to make. How could possibly exist a finished big game made out of it? We will probably enjoy UE5 big games near the end of the generation. But the good thing is that it's an engine capable to handle every task and incredibly efficient. It will allow great things for many years. And I'm looking forward to see how much is possible to push it with foveated rendering on PS5. Nanite is just the perfect feature for it.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Looks cool, have we seen a single game with it released yet that is big time? When, want to see if it performs as advertised.

Top Bottom